Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Then you should also have read more closely that the proposed lesson was not about pure vocabulary but involved the present participle, which because it describes action occurring through the present moment, actually benefits from live demonstration to separate it from simple present tense
No, it doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I honestly don't know what kind of teaching experience you have, but I am going to guess that from your advocacy of repetitive drill memorization, a method that has been deprecated by language teachers for many years even for children, that it isn't much

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Octopath is absolutely beautiful. The combat reminds me of Bravely Default a lot and is serviceable but I do hope you're only 1 person for demo purposes. Like, I assume your party will be 4 people in the full game; doing a boss battle with just 1 guy took a while. If the full game adds a bit more complexity in the combat with more skill stuff and variables I'd get this Day 1 no question.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I honestly don't know what kind of teaching experience you have, but I am going to guess that from your advocacy of repetitive drill memorization, a method that has been deprecated by language teachers for many years even for children, that it isn't much
I never advocated repetitive drill memorization, I said that acquiring new words into one's lexicon requires repetition over a long period of time. If they never see the word again after the first time they see it, they won't learn it. I didn't say that they should say the word "eat" 20 times in a row. But they also don't need to be infantilized by having a video game character demonstrate what eating something is.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://twitter.com/Tiyuri/status/908620505300832256

Still can't believe it's STARDEW that has release drama.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

So are chucklefish just the most incompetent devs in the world? What's going on

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DLC Inc posted:

Octopath is absolutely beautiful. The combat reminds me of Bravely Default a lot and is serviceable but I do hope you're only 1 person for demo purposes. Like, I assume your party will be 4 people in the full game; doing a boss battle with just 1 guy took a while. If the full game adds a bit more complexity in the combat with more skill stuff and variables I'd get this Day 1 no question.

You can get the other character in your party even in the demo so it's not just gonna be one person.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Zelder posted:

Yes do not support them

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Zelder posted:

I mean they only update their blog like once every 6 months and have literally one guy working on Wargroove (SDV was also created by like 1 guy) so, maybe? They seem like a group of high quality MDickie devs wherein they'd do poo poo faster if more than one human being worked on each games

Sakurazuka posted:

You can get the other character in your party even in the demo so it's not just gonna be one person.

Guess I haven't done everything yet, I assumed after the brigand boss there wouldn't be much else lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah there's a much larger area to explore than the 'story' takes you to.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Inferior Third Season posted:

I never advocated repetitive drill memorization, I said that acquiring new words into one's lexicon requires repetition over a long period of time. If they never see the word again after the first time they see it, they won't learn it. I didn't say that they should say the word "eat" 20 times in a row. But they also don't need to be infantilized by having a video game character demonstrate what eating something is.

And it's not about students acquiring new words, it's about them learning a grammatical concept, which is why your counter-suggestion is pointless on multiple levels. One, of course when words get introduced in the classroom setting you can just tell them, but demonstration is part of repetition and reinforcement, and we're talking about one segment of a classroom session that takes a few minutes. Two, most vocabulary acquisition is going to be done outside the classroom because they have books for that. Classroom time should be devoted to conceptual work and having visual aids is an extremely common way for doing that, and seeing some weird guy milk a cow is perfectly fine and fun. Three, this is an activity designed for a teaching practicum, where it's a good idea to be out there and fill up the time with flashy stuff because what are you going to do, say "I am eating" to your instructor, that doesn't fill up 12 minutes.

Like, I don't know what to say, a basic ELL suggestion to teach the present participle is to demonstrate the action to separate it from the simple present, like if you look at the actual instructional materials for actual teachers it says that, and 1-2 Switch's instructional videos are nice visuals to reinforce that

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 15, 2017

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

DLC Inc posted:

I mean they only update their blog like once every 6 months and have literally one guy working on Wargroove (SDV was also created by like 1 guy) so, maybe? They seem like a group of high quality MDickie devs wherein they'd do poo poo faster if more than one human being worked on each games

Chucklefish are more of a publisher than developer, Concerned Ape is the developer for Stardew so I'd assume the core Chucklefish crew are solely doing the port work.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Don't take your video games to school.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Inferior Third Season posted:

When's this game coming out? The one where someone spends entirely too long arguing about someone else's teaching methods on a comedy forum. Is this what Retro has been working on?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

njsykora posted:

Chucklefish are more of a publisher than developer, Concerned Ape is the developer for Stardew so I'd assume the core Chucklefish crew are solely doing the port work.

Port work and some other stuff, yeah

https://twitter.com/Tiyuri/status/904839330866356224

Chucklefish are both developing and publishing Wargroove though, and I'm gonna buy the poo poo out of that

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

They're gonna gently caress it up like Starbound, A Bad Game

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Oh man.

https://www.amazon.com/8Bitdo-SF30-...09397dd5813805a

https://www.amazon.com/8Bitdo-SN30-...cc7ebaaee39cbab

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I think I need to preorder that because that owns

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Botw looks like an indie game compared to this goat of all goats mario odyssey

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I just want a left joycon with an actual d-pad on it :(

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

well why not posted:

Still can't believe it's STARDEW that has release drama.

More like STARDUE am i right?

Zelder posted:

It's out of our hands and we're waiting on Nintendo. Calm down.

DLC Inc posted:

Wargroove is a small team of around 4+ people, with some additional outside contractors helping out with art assets. It doesn't need a huge team, and there isn't just one guy working on it.

Tatsuta Age posted:

They're gonna gently caress it up like Starbound, A Bad Game

Pipe down at the back.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I've written a review of the port already calling it bad, and I titled it "The fault in our Stardews". Never played the game, anxiously waiting to mash that publish button.

The good news for you is I'm publishing this on Miiverse.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

What was the name of that game where you'd snap spaceship parts to your controller that was revealed at the Switch launch event? Also waiting for Odyssey is going to be brutal

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That was a fan mockup

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Anyone tried NBA? I want it but the price is insane and no physical release for a month but might be tempted

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr. VooDoo posted:

What was the name of that game where you'd snap spaceship parts to your controller that was revealed at the Switch launch event? Also waiting for Odyssey is going to be brutal

Starlink

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Starlink: Battle for Atlas, but I've been trying to build buzz around the name "No Man's Skylanders"

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Aren't they a bit late to the toys to life party, Disney Infinity flopped

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Lakbay posted:

Aren't they a bit late to the toys to life party, Disney Infinity flopped

Actually Infinity was quite profitable. The higher ups at Disney Interactuve figured out they could do bare minimum phone games with micro transactions and make boatloads of money with very little upkeep so all Disney Interactive games were killed off to focus on phone F2P micro transactions schlock

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Supernorn posted:

More like STARDUE am i right?

It's out of our hands and we're waiting on Nintendo. Calm down.

Wargroove is a small team of around 4+ people, with some additional outside contractors helping out with art assets. It doesn't need a huge team, and there isn't just one guy working on it.

Pipe down at the back.

Stardewhen

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Sweet. Pre-ordered 2. Excited that they'll work with the emulators on my Nvidia Shield too.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I wonder if they'll connect to an Amazon fire stick easily

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

:hellyeah: I've been checking the 8bitdo website/twitter like once a month, including yesterday, since they never announced when this thing would drop.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

StabMasterArson posted:

Anyone tried NBA? I want it but the price is insane and no physical release for a month but might be tempted

I got it for free but it's really great so far and I would probably pay a preorder discount price for it

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I have yet to experience the wonders of HD rumble. They should really put out a demo of 1, 2 Switch, the only game that has actually used it.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

These look really cool, but I'm interested to see if people get hand cramps from the sticks. Analog sticks are pretty comfortable because you usually have something that one or both hands can grab onto with your other fingers. I hope they wind up being good because I'd like to buy one eventually.

Wendell posted:

I have yet to experience the wonders of HD rumble. They should really put out a demo of 1, 2 Switch, the only game that has actually used it.

Fast RMX, Wonderboy, Mr. Shifty, Blaster Master Zero, and Graceful Explosion Machine all use it, too.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 15, 2017

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bloodplay it again posted:

These look really cool, but I'm interested to see if people get hand cramps from the sticks. Analog sticks are pretty comfortable because you usually have something that one or both hands can grab onto with your other fingers. I hope they wind up being good because I'd like to buy one eventually.

Fast RMX, Wonderboy, Mr. Shifty, Blaster Master Zero, and Graceful Explosion Machine all use it, too.

same

edit for your edit: I played BM0 and while it uses HELLA RUMBLE there is no real HD feeling to it that I noticed.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mario kart 8 DX uses it too. I'm pretty sure Mario + Rabbids does as well. Collecting a coin feels really good in it. Hope it's the same effect in Odyssey.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Bloodplay it again posted:

Realistically speaking, it just feels like normal rumble to most people. The ice cube game in 1-2 switch on the other hand is very different than normal rumble. This is especially true given the pro controller has "kind of" HD rumble, so I doubt people really feel the benefits of the HD part unless they are like joycon detached in maybe 0.00001 of existing games where the rumble really shows

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
LMAO Metroid Amiibo is sold out everywhere

• Locked thread