Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Spent my Sunday morning turning an unexpected present:

into

Whole roast wild duck with herbs, duck fat potatoes with red wine sauce with blackberries and apple.

Remember to do the cleaning of the duck outside as the tiny feathers underneath go EVERYWHERE.

Junior G-man fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Sep 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Wait, maybe I'm confused. What's the difference between a separated butter sauce and brown butter?

Basically, if you're using the butter in an emulsion, you don't want it to separate. Like a buerre monté, for example, you don't want to separate. But if the point is to get the delicious flavor of browned milk solids, it's totally cool that it separates, which is what brown butter is all about. The point isn't a smooth, emulsified sauce, but rather to get the nutty flavor of browned milk solids.

If you were trying to make a beurre monté or béchamel or something else that you want to be a smooth emulsion, the butter separating is a failure. But if you're making brown butter (or beurre noisette, if you want to be all pretentious and French about it), separation is just part of the process.

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

I made Kenji's carnitas and salsa verde, plus refried beans from scratch for the first time. It was ridiculously good, highly recommended. The carnitas might have been better than my favorite San Diego taco shop's. The salsa verde was pretty good after following the recipe, but after adding chopped cilantro and onion at the end, it tasted like a proper salsa. I also made the beans with lard which was a great decision.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Tamarind shrimp with coconut milk. I should have used larger shrimp for it as the amount of marinade I used wasn't enough to get all of the shrimp to taste the same.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Shakshouka! I've never even had shakshouka before, but I think I'm going to be making this all the time now. Tasted pretty delicious just using store brand crushed tomatoes, though I saw San Marzanos recommended in a couple of recipes. Really this is just further convincing me to grow my own tomatoes.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Reztes posted:

Shakshouka! I've never even had shakshouka before, but I think I'm going to be making this all the time now. Tasted pretty delicious just using store brand crushed tomatoes, though I saw San Marzanos recommended in a couple of recipes. Really this is just further convincing me to grow my own tomatoes.

stop you're making me too hungry.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I'm not a big fan of slow cookers but my wife wants to start using one to make meals that can cook throughout the day so we don't have to spend a lot of time doing so when we both get home in the evening. I took this as a challenge and decided to try my hand at red beans and rice.

24 oz. dried kidney beans
2 large yellow onions
1 green bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
Half a head of garlic
6 stalks celery
2 smoked ham hocks
1 tbsp cayenne
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp kosher salt
Handful of bay leaves (in cheesecloth for easy removal post-cook)
12 cups reduced sodium chicken stock

Most recipes have you combine the ingredients and cook the beans from dry. I prepped everything the night before and dumped it all in the crock, so this gave the beans a chance to soak in the chicken stock.

Also, you can use a smoked sausage or andouille, but my wife leans toward the vegetarian side so I only used the ham hocks for flavoring, after which I pulled them out and picked the meat off that went into my first bowl.

Cooked it on high for 4 hours, then turned to low and cooked another 3. When it was done I removed the hocks and bay, added a cornstarch slurry to thicken things up a bit, and went hog wild. It is amazingly delicious, super low effort, and enough to last for half a week of dinners for both of us. Also, this is a CHEAP dish to make. Highly recommended.

Also, using an entire tablespoon of cayenne put it right at the threshold of spiciness for my wife, who has a medium tolerance for heat. If you're making this for others, you may want to use less.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Reztes posted:

Shakshouka just hits the sweet spot of easy/cheap/delicious and yours looks great. You can do all kinds of variations, too (Italian-style? Call it uova in purgatorio!)

IMO canned tomatoes work fine for it. I wouldn't use homegrown tomatoes unless you're an awesome gardener who can get a ton of tomatoes. (In which case I'm completely jealous because I think I managed to grow like three tomatoes this entire year.)

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

^^^ befriend a local farmer at a market, then ask if they ever sell scratch & dent tomatoes at a discount. We make canned whole, crushed, and rotel-style every year. Definitely more expensive than even San Marzano but worth it for tomato-forward dishes.

Reztes posted:

That looks amazing. Which recipe did you use, or did you riff off of some?

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

BrianBoitano posted:

^^^ befriend a local farmer at a market, then ask if they ever sell scratch & dent tomatoes at a discount. We make canned whole, crushed, and rotel-style every year. Definitely more expensive than even San Marzano but worth it for tomato-forward dishes.

Yeah, that's smart (though not all kinds of tomatoes are so great for processing.) I just saw that a local farm has a tomato glut; they're selling PYO Romas for $1/pound. If I can make it over there, I can pick enough to make and freeze sauce to last me for months. Canning would be even better but I'm too lazy to bother.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

BrianBoitano posted:

That looks amazing. Which recipe did you use, or did you riff off of some?

Thanks! I basically wound up following this one. I skipped the mushrooms and used some cotija cheese I had on hand instead of feta, and parsley since I'm between cilantro crops.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifWWRZSWS18

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Reztes posted:

If you're planning on growing San Marzano tomatoes, having grown them I'd say, waste of time.

First off, they're prone to blossom rot. Chalk in the soil can help there but...
Second, they're not that special.

San Marzano are superb canned tomatoes. Heston Blumenthal reckons it's because they're grown on the slopes of Vesuvius. The volcanic ash in the soil means they have a low acid and a low pectin content. This produces a soft moist canned tomato that breaks down easily in a sauce and has a great (almost roast tomato) flavour. As a tomato on the vine, they're kind of flaccid.

So unless you live on the slopes of a volcano where the soil is full of desiccated Romans, pick a good heirloom.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Or see about hosting some Italian exchange students to your place. The best time to plant a tree or bury a roman in hellfire is 10 years ago.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Cavenagh posted:

San Marzano are superb canned tomatoes. Heston Blumenthal reckons it's because they're grown on the slopes of Vesuvius. The volcanic ash in the soil means they have a low acid and a low pectin content. This produces a soft moist canned tomato that breaks down easily in a sauce and has a great (almost roast tomato) flavour. As a tomato on the vine, they're kind of flaccid.

So unless you live on the slopes of a volcano where the soil is full of desiccated Romans, pick a good heirloom.

Fresh San Marzanos in the Naples region taste amazing and really are distinctly different than regular tomato varieties. I couldn't eat tomatoes raw until I went to Amalfi and tried them.

The canned stuff isn't worth the markup on any of the imported brands I've tried, especially when you start getting into the dipshittery of spending £20 on a dozen cans, as I did when I tried to recreate the dishes I'd had on the coast. They taste just like regular tomatoes. I don't think Heston Blumethal is talking about canned San Marzanos of questionable origin when he's talking about why San Marzanos are a great tomato.

Plus, it's always my red flag for bullshit when food bloggers tell me why 'X is the only acceptable ingredient' or 'Y is the only acceptable way to do Z.'

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Blumenthal is specifically talking about DOP canned San Marzanos but he ends up going with local tomatoes and pressure cooking to get the canned effect. http://www.insearchofheston.com/2013/05/how-to-make-hestons-perfect-in-search-of-perfection-pizza-recipe/

Veritek83 fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 15, 2017

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Yeah, that's smart (though not all kinds of tomatoes are so great for processing.) I just saw that a local farm has a tomato glut; they're selling PYO Romas for $1/pound. If I can make it over there, I can pick enough to make and freeze sauce to last me for months. Canning would be even better but I'm too lazy to bother.

Romas are the best for canning, and $1/lb is amazing, way less than we pay for scratch & dent in our small-rear end town. Worth the extra labor of PYO, and if you lived within an hour of me it'd even be worth the drive.

Reztes posted:

Thanks! I basically wound up following this one. I skipped the mushrooms and used some cotija cheese I had on hand instead of feta, and parsley since I'm between cilantro crops.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifWWRZSWS18

Over Easy's recipe also uses parsley, which is nice for potlucks. I really like it for potlucks during tomato season, since it's not a carb or a meat, and it's approachable enough for timid eaters.

Comparing the recipes, Chef John uses a jalapeno and less spice, and my recipe has garlic, both sweet and smoked paprika, and dried oregano. I'll have to try my recipe with jalapeno!

e: oh dang the author of Over Easy has a tomatillo and charred corn "shakshuka" :stare: http://joythebaker.com/2017/02/tomatillo-shakshuka-and-over-easy-pre-order/

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 15, 2017

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

poo poo, I'd try that. The Latino grocer down the street from me always has a ton of tomatillos I've been looking for an excuse to pick up.

Also I pressure cooked some black beans last night. About 1 hour start to finish including letting the pressure cooker release naturally, so great weeknight dinner and can scale up easily. The last pot of beans I made using a ham bone, but this was way more flavorful. The original recipe I was following called for dry Spanish chorizo, but I really liked the result with this Mexican one. It also just looked really pretty all prepped.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I have pics but for some reason the color balance makes them look like a 1970's good housekeeping spread so I'm not gonna post them.

BUT, for dinner tonight was grilled steak Oscar with hand whisked Bearnaise sauce with clarified butter, the entirety of which was done from scratch (incl the whole shallot/tarragon stem vinnegar wine reduction etc), served with sauteed asparagus. For dessert was pistachio gelato, store bought so obv that doesn't count. It was very nice tho.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 16, 2017

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I just made an apple-kızılcık crumble - I'd never heard of this fruit until last weekend, when I found it at a market in Turkey. Pretty drat tasty... now to make a vanilla custard sauce to go with it!

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Cajun sausage, broccoli, and dirty rice!

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
Grilled sichuan crusted beef and chicken with homemade teriyaki and quick pickled carrots, shallots and cucumbers. Buns were store-bought frozen cooked in a bamboo steamer.

bummer dude
Jun 20, 2004

duuuude
^^^looks so good

I made pizzas

Left: pepperoni. Right: pancetta, pineapple, jalapeno and cilantro

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Reported

dolicf
Sep 12, 2010
Pigmeats, carrot/parsnip mash, pickled apple

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Carnitas style king oyster mushrooms for tacos. Braised with onion, garlic, orange, cumin, cinnamon and bay leaf then tossed under the broiler to brown up.

Tasted delicious, but some of the pieces were incredibly tough. First time cooking with these mushrooms so I'm not sure if I needed to cut more of the stems off or what. Surprised since I cooked them for a full hour. I'll have to mess around with it again and definitely shred/chop them up a bit more.

emotive fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 20, 2017

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

emotive posted:

Carnitas style king oyster mushrooms for tacos. Braised with onion, garlic, orange, cumin, cinnamon and bay leaf then tossed under the broiler to brown up.

Tasted delicious, but some of the pieces were incredibly tough. First time cooking with these mushrooms so I'm not sure if I needed to cut more of the stems off or what. Surprised since I cooked them for a full hour. I'll have to mess around with it again and definitely shred/chop them up a bit more.

Carnitas style mushrooms: now that's a great idea for some vegany goodness! Awesome.

As to the stems, I always feel sad throwing out stems, especially when the shrooms are expensive. I bet you could cook them separately, maybe sous vide, for longer, then reduce the sauce and brown them all together. Worth a try, anyhow.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Zombie Dachshund posted:

As to the stems, I always feel sad throwing out stems, especially when the shrooms are expensive.

Freeze and save for a mushroom stock or veg. stock?

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

fried up some fresh local chanterelles with sage, garlic and butter and tossed them with some homemade gnocchi.

mushrooms were excellent, gnocchi a bit gummy, i think because i left them in the fridge for a couple of hours before boiling. next time I'll make them right at dinner time.

also i broke my lovely stamped-metal potato ricer in the process 😑

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
They might have been less gummy if you had cooked them. Those are uncooked.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

They might have been less gummy if you had cooked them. Those are uncooked.

:grin:

e: it was dark by the time the baby was asleep and i could cook them so i didn't take a picture because our kitchen lighting sucks for that

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I love the gnocchi from Trader Joe's, it's so goddamn cheap compared to anywhere else! Yesterday I fried up a whole package in sardine oil and tossed in tomatoes, fresh mint and basil from the garden, and spinach. Very delicious and also quite appealing to look at.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

exquisite tea posted:

I love the gnocchi from Trader Joe's, it's so goddamn cheap compared to anywhere else! Yesterday I fried up a whole package in sardine oil and tossed in tomatoes, fresh mint and basil from the garden, and spinach. Very delicious and also quite appealing to look at.

You and me both, we almost always have a bag of each kind in our freezer when we're in the mood for a really easy dinner. Super tasty foundation for whatever else you want to add to it

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kumba posted:

You and me both, we almost always have a bag of each kind in our freezer when we're in the mood for a really easy dinner. Super tasty foundation for whatever else you want to add to it

Fried gnocchi is the best. As is this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkXy12xVnRs

edit: This remains one of the best videos on the internet. Makes me laugh every drat time.

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 25, 2017

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo that laugh. Thanks for the video that 3 minutes uplifted my day

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Still a classic, still just as funny.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I was convinced he was going to get hurt and/or lose his temper. I'm glad neither happened

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Fried gnocchi is the best. As is this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkXy12xVnRs

edit: This remains one of the best videos on the internet. Makes me laugh every drat time.

Just the words 'fried gnocci' are enough to bring a grin to my face. This is such an underrated internet classic.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Holy poo poo lol I'd never seen that before.

BrianBoitano posted:

e: oh dang the author of Over Easy has a tomatillo and charred corn "shakshuka" :stare: http://joythebaker.com/2017/02/tomatillo-shakshuka-and-over-easy-pre-order/

I wound up trying this one too, it was really good! The egg yolk and grilled corn ground the tangy sweetness of the tomatillos really nicely. Only took a few minutes longer to use fresh tomatillos, which I now love. I want to use this and a normal tomato version together and make shakshouka divorciados as a fun weekend brunch thing next time I think.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Reztes posted:

Holy poo poo lol I'd never seen that before.

I wound up trying this one too, it was really good! The egg yolk and grilled corn ground the tangy sweetness of the tomatillos really nicely. Only took a few minutes longer to use fresh tomatillos, which I now love. I want to use this and a normal tomato version together and make shakshouka divorciados as a fun weekend brunch thing next time I think.

Thanks for the test of the recipe! I'm adding it to our "cook frigging now" list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I've made many meals since my last post itt, but the simple ones seem best to eat and thus share.

Glazed five-spice chicken, Salt Fat Acid Heat pg. 338. 30 minute brine, 5 minute cook.

Coworker gave me some ginger preserves and challenged me to make savory dishes with it. I saw ginger and brown sugar in this recipe and gave it a shot. Replaced all the brown sugar with roughly the same amount of preserves, by weight. I didn't reduce the normal ginger amount, since the preserves are definitely mellowed, basically like candied ginger.

Chicken breasts, pounded 3/4" flat, cooked in a hot pan for 2 1/2 minutes per side. Served with simply roasted broccoli with chili/soy/sesame dipping sauce.

Made a pan sauce by deglazing, but it wasn't really needed. I inhaled most of the chicken before I remembered it was there.