Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I always took the ending to be a snapshot into what Tony experienced every day for the rest of his life, no matter how long that would be. He will be in a state of constant paranoia, not knowing if the person walking through the door is an assassin of an FBI agent serving him a life ruining warrant. And there's nothing he can do about it.

It doesn't really matter if in that last shot he's dead or not, that heart stopping anxiety is what matters. Though it is a major case of cinematic blue balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah, I understand why people think he died, but I figured that the surprise black screen was almost like the TV cord being pulled out of the wall.

The characters continue to live their lives, however our ability to watch them is cut off.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Either he's dead or in jail. Ton'y hosed one way or the other.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's 10 years later now so yeah, he's long gone.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Tony got wacked off

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Tony got wacked off

No his gf killed herself

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

It's 10 years later now so yeah, he's long gone.

I think David Chase said that "He's still out there" after James Gandolfini died

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It's too bad The Drop came out after Enough Said, because that would have been a great movie to go out on

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Agreed! Enough Said is great, and Gandolfini is amazing in a more sensitive role.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So when Chris puts on the Departed soundtrack and says how awesome it is, was that a really odd/specific bit of product placement, or was it an excuse to play Comfortably Numb during that scene (which Chris probably wouldn't have done otherwise)?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
none of the odd or specific product placement, of which there was a lot, was paid

edit: this isn't as right as I thought it was. none were paid but other considerations were often provided.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 11, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

"It's a Porsche Cayenne."
"I thought about one of those, but the 'vette was more me."

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

"It's a Porsche Cayenne."

"Like the pepper!"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Frank Vincent died. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYFdceIGBPI

:smith:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

drat, we're gonna win this thing! :haw:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He's eating grilled cheese off the rad-ee-ator in heaven now.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Ralphie's kid plays the dumbest game in the world

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

That clip ends before one of those teens pukes.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Jose posted:

Ralphie's kid plays the dumbest game in the world

I bust a gut laughing at that every time- the horrific danger of the game clashes so much with the Lord of the Rings stuff

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It also cracks me up because early into Ralphie's time on the show, he whacks that poor bouncer at the Bada-Bing in the face while re-enacting a scene from Gladiator. Apple doesn't fall far from the tree I guess.

tapine
Sep 3, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
The best Ralph moment is when Silvio slaps Tracee outside his house and his reaction is laughter, or maybe when Paulie says that he doesn't believe Tony's verdict and he says "Why not, last year you believed there was a flying saucer over East Rutherford"

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Ralphie's a great character. Joe Pantoliano did an interview with Gilbert Gottfried's podcast and a lot of Ralphie character is stuff he pulled from his hosed up childhood. It's worth tracking down and listening to.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

tapine posted:

The best Ralph moment is when Silvio slaps Tracee outside his house and his reaction is laughter, or maybe when Paulie says that he doesn't believe Tony's verdict and he says "Why not, last year you believed there was a flying saucer over East Rutherford"

THEY DIDN'T HAVE FLAT TOPS IN ANCIENT ROME !!!

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Professor Shark posted:

I think David Chase said that "He's still out there" after James Gandolfini died

The same thing could be said of Jimmy Hoffa

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

It also cracks me up because early into Ralphie's time on the show, he whacks that poor bouncer at the Bada-Bing in the face while re-enacting a scene from Gladiator. Apple doesn't fall far from the tree I guess.

Holy crap, I hadn't connected those two scenes.

Speaking of the bouncer, I liked the last episode he was in- when Tony beat him up for the last time and he quit. The tension that he might go to the feds and consequences to Tony's anger was great

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 16, 2017

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

"You think that poo poo grows on trees!?"

"Ice? No Tone...i dont"

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

banned from Starbucks posted:

"You think that poo poo grows on trees!?"

"Ice? No Tone...i dont"

lmao. my gf is watching right now for the first time and on a rewatch the thing I forgot most is how flat out hilarious this show is. I probably laugh out loud more times per episode than most comedies.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, I just recently rewatched that episode where AJ and his dumb friends smash up the school. The scene where the cops go and talk to the pizza guys and the rapid-fire Dragnet-style dialogue is loving hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utTAphB1y4Y&t=7s

Plus of course, there will always be,"loving QUEERS! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻"

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
She was abusive to the staff

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah, I understand why people think he died, but I figured that the surprise black screen was almost like the TV cord being pulled out of the wall.

The characters continue to live their lives, however our ability to watch them is cut off.

Meadow finally parallel parks her car, comes across the street, and enters the restaurant. All the ducks have returned home, full circle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKbamjdyw5M

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
What the gently caress? Why is this his song?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Man the pilot was really ahead of its time.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cOX1vhbVW8

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

The Walrus posted:

lmao. my gf is watching right now for the first time and on a rewatch the thing I forgot most is how flat out hilarious this show is. I probably laugh out loud more times per episode than most comedies.

For my money the Sopranos is hands-down the funniest television show ever made that isn't actually a comedy.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

For my money the Sopranos is hands-down the funniest television show ever made that isn't actually a comedy.

Poor George

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkxmstBuB24

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Jerusalem posted:

I'm actually talking more about the technical aspects - their transitions and cuts feel kinda primitive and there is still a bit of a sense that audiences used to network drama weren't going to get basic subtleties (like the parallels between Meadow and Tracee) so they would ram it down their throats. To be fair, that's still a problem a lot of dramas have nowadays and sometimes it feels justified that people just aren't going to get things unless it's laid out explicitly.

Oh man. I just finished a rewatch and I was telling this to anyone who would listen. The montage in Mr. Ruggerio’s Neighborhood w the FBI is soooooooooo bad. It just comes off as clumsy in comparison to montage’s from Breaking Bad. A lot of the shots are just boring network TV shots and whatnot. It gets somewhat better in later seasons, but it’s clear that it was the first of its kind.

I walked away from this rewatch more conflicted about Carm than ever. It’s clear that she’s been uneasy w Tony’s lifestyle for awhile when the series starts, and then it just spirals and she stands there and takes it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, I just recently rewatched that episode where AJ and his dumb friends smash up the school. The scene where the cops go and talk to the pizza guys and the rapid-fire Dragnet-style dialogue is loving hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utTAphB1y4Y&t=7s

Plus of course, there will always be,"loving QUEERS! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻"

And one of the friends is Lady Gaga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
The ending is great.

Meadow took so long parking because she's a law abiding citizen not an rear end in a top hat like her family, and if she did park like an rear end and make it in she would be in the crossfire of Tony's execution.

The editing alone makes it very clear, we see a reaction shot of Tony hearing the door open, cut to Tony's POV, this is done like 5 times. Then the last time, we hear Meadow enter, cut to Tony's POV and it's just blackness. That was initially to last like 20 minutes.

Add in all the heavy foreshadowing of when you die you don't hear the shot, its just over and you're just dead and there's nothing else.

Tony is dead. Deal with it.

• Locked thread