Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Man cops are tough to roll with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

spiralbrain posted:

Man cops are tough to roll with.

Depends on the cop?

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

willie_dee posted:

Depends on the cop?

There's a couple of cops at my gym and they all go hard and fast. Most are eternal white belts who train like 3 times a month but one guy is a massive 280 pound brown belt who loving footlocks everyone.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I am Otis posted:

one guy is a massive 280 pound brown belt who loving footlocks everyone.

#LifeGoals

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

I live in a city with an exceptional amount of police agencies (few dozen in and around) and I'm surprised my gym has no cops training with us.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

I am Otis posted:

There's a couple of cops at my gym and they all go hard and fast. Most are eternal white belts who train like 3 times a month but one guy is a massive 280 pound brown belt who loving footlocks everyone.

my old gym had a black belt who was also a sniper for the RCMP.

Nicest goddamned guy you'd ever meet. Absolute savage on the mats.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I am Otis posted:

The guy I rolled with last week hadnt trained in 8 years and was "just returning back to training". Oh ok. So they gave him a no stripe white belt. He whipped everyone on the mat. Stacked me while I triangled him and then got revenge on me by applying the nutcracker choke.

:gibs:

smilehigh
Nov 2, 2010

RUUUUUNNNNNNNN

spiralbrain posted:

That place is beautiful. Looks a little bigger than my gym.

drat that's beautiful. My gym is literally being eaten by termites :shrug:

My schedule changed recently, so I frequently won't be able to make it in to classes in the evening but the owner let me copy the key so I can use the heavy bags etc in the morning before I start work which is great. I'm fairly competitive so when there is a bunch of us lined up I go hard on the bags because I don't want to look like a pussy compared to all the guys. But I feel like when I'm training by myself I gas out real quick and don't go as hard. I don't know if I'm imagining it because I have no one to 'keep up with' or if I'm just lazy. Anyone got suggestions for how to measure this? Like just count punch/kicks per minute or something?

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

He once footlocked me while I had mount and had him in a deep collar choke and after I tapped by screaming tap, he was like "sorry dude I just wanted to see if I could footlock someone while I was going out"

I asked him how he did it and he was like, I felt your foot and went for it lol

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
After putting it off for too long, I finally started Sanda 3 weeks ago. I've got no experience with MMA and this is the first major physical activity since... playing soccer in my neighborhood as a teenager. I'm out of shape, really need to lose some weight, and this has been kicking my rear end, and it's been awesome. All sorts of bruises, and the first week, I felt like I'm gonna die with the exercise, but I can tell I'm getting into shape quickly.

My left calf started hurting me during our latest workout, because we were doing a ton of jump roping stuff. I was walking with quite the limp, but it seems to be going away. I've stretched, and been taking it easy. I'll be stretching my calves in advance next time. My biggest concern is injuring myself early on, and then having to heal, and not participate in class and lose my enthusiasm. I really enjoy the pain, so far though.

I read the thread and noticed people mentioning concussions as a reason to not do kickboxing. I'm 34, and out of shape.. how much of this is a concern if I'm never planning on competing? How often do concussions really happen during sparring, or from accidents, etc? The guys I've met at the gym I'm going to are pretty friendly, no aggro jerks.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Juanito posted:

After putting it off for too long, I finally started Sanda 3 weeks ago.
I read the thread and noticed people mentioning concussions as a reason to not do kickboxing. I'm 34, and out of shape.. how much of this is a concern if I'm never planning on competing? How often do concussions really happen during sparring, or from accidents, etc? The guys I've met at the gym I'm going to are pretty friendly, no aggro jerks.

Which gym are you at? Boston by any chance?
Our gym -- you might get hit hard if you run really hard into a punch or duck into a high kick. It'll happen once in a blue moon. In several years of sparring, I've had maybe one concussion, and several milder (but obviously still bad for by brain) incidents.

Your sparring partners should only give you what you can handle. If they can easily handle you, they'll place a lot of soft shots.

If you take your training seriously, you'll be in shape way before you'll be sparring hard enough to risk concussions.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

kimbo305 posted:

Our gym -- you might get hit hard if you run really hard into a punch or duck into a high kick. It'll happen once in a blue moon. In several years of sparring, I've had maybe one concussion, and several milder (but obviously still bad for by brain) incidents.

Your sparring partners should only give you what you can handle. If they can easily handle you, they'll place a lot of soft shots.

If you take your training seriously, you'll be in shape way before you'll be sparring hard enough to risk concussions.

Btw, its time for you to visit my gym and rock and roll homie

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

kimbo305 posted:

I'm at a gym in Chile, so not too close to Boston. :)

Thanks, sounds like concussions aren't something I need to worry about... I wish I'd started this sport when I was much younger, but I'm glad I'm doing it now.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Make sure you drink plenty of water and eat some bananas. The potassium will help with the cramps.

mariooncrack fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 10, 2017

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
So this hurricane's heading straight for my house but the last thing to get stowed was my mats, and I got some drilling in this morning. Thank you, Irma, for verifying my priorities. If I live through this, my rDLR is going to be on another level.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
What kind of shirts should I use for MMA/Sanda? I've got a Nike Dri-Fit shirt that I really like, because it's not tight, and I sweat a lot. Maybe a few more of these? Is there a cheaper version that holds up? I don't really care much about the brand..

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

kimbo305 posted:

What gym are you at? Redline?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Juanito posted:

What kind of shirts should I use for MMA/Sanda? I've got a Nike Dri-Fit shirt that I really like, because it's not tight, and I sweat a lot. Maybe a few more of these? Is there a cheaper version that holds up? I don't really care much about the brand..

Spandex always and forever.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Spandex always and forever.

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
Go vintage 1990s Brazillian. Top off. Black speedo.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I just go to the local TJ Maxx or Marshalls. They've got tons of Nike/underarmor type shirts for ~$10.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Juanito posted:

I bought a Tatami Long sleeve compression (this one -->) and I love it. Its also held up very well to abuse on the mat during nogi days.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MROQJGW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
Thanks, gonna stock up on shirts next month when I go to the US.

So last Thursday, ton of drills with jump rope, etc. After awhile, started feeling a strong pull in my left calf, and I had to stop, and just focused on stretching. I was able to stand fine, and do arm exercises, with minimal movement, and I was walking with a limp for a few days, in part due to general muscle soreness from the drills.

I've been stretching a few times every day. But my left calf still hurts when I walk a lot. It's very light pain, not much at all. Not enough for me to limp. I'm not sure how easy I need to take it in tomorrow night's class.

I don't want to sit out a single class, but I'm also afraid of pushing too hard, and causing an injury that would force me to stop even longer. I've got no experience with muscle injuries, and don't know how seriously to take this. Maybe it's not serious at all? And I just need to keep going, and eventually it'll stop bothering me?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Rest when you're hurt.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Rest when you're hurt.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

VulgarandStupid posted:

What gym are you at? Redline?

Yep.

Novum posted:

Btw, its time for you to visit my gym and rock and roll homie

:ssh: I'm still recovering from my fight. Soon.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Hey y'all!

It's been a while since I posted in here. Last time I was here (or technically the last thread?) I was still debating which martial art to pick. Eventually I settled on boxing as 1) it seemed like something that I could be suited for 2) was incredibly reasonable from a price perspective, 3) had pretty good trainers and good gym culture overall and 4) didn't require you to buy any stupid uniforms. I did it for 3 months and was enjoying myself real good, but sadly I had to drop it because I got a new job which overlapped the hours the gym was open and more recently, had a very annoying elbow injury.

Well, good news is I got a new job and my elbow's nearly recovered. So I was planning on getting back in the game. We're gonna start sparring soon I figure, so I was hoping to get some advice on how to calm my nerves on account of being a big ole' pussy all my life.

Btw, love the thread title.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Before sparring confirm with your coach and partner level of intensity to make sure you're on the same page - probably 50% is a good idea. Focus on placing your punches and not on trying to KO your partner - my coach always reminds people when sparring to go lighter to the head, heavier to the body.

That being said, you will get punched in the face which isn't fun, but you do get used to it. Unfortunately the only way to get used to it to get punched in the face more frequently.

When you're in there, just keep it simple. Don't forget to breath, keep your hands up and don't forget your head movement. Work your jab. If you do end up taking a hard shot and are feeling stunned or hurt, there's no shame in asking for a few seconds to recover.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

Well, good news is I got a new job and my elbow's nearly recovered. So I was planning on getting back in the game. We're gonna start sparring soon I figure, so I was hoping to get some advice on how to calm my nerves on account of being a big ole' pussy all my life.

The nervousness can't really be avoided. It took me 3-4 months after getting my athlete registration to get in the ring for sparring, just because of nerves.

One thing that kinda works is channeling the nervousness into another emotion, this article describes a technique where you turn it into excitement ("proven effective in a variety of studies and settings") but I've also found I can turn it into anger.. which probably isn't healthy but helps me not to be nervous.

Then trust your coach. This kinda depends on having a good coach but mine eased me into sparring instead of throwing me to the wolves.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ask your dentist how much they'd charge for a mouthguard. If it's expensive, consider a Gladiator, which is expensive but possibly cheaper. A mouthguard that fits well will let you breathe and bite down comfortably when you get hit.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape
I can't remember if it was here or on the BJJ Reddit, but a while back there was discussion of pulling off pro-wrestling moves in real sparring. My previous best contribution to that was grabbing both ankles on the way up from a backflip escape from high mount, to get the reverse mount double Achilles lock, a.k.a. The Boston Crab.

So this morning I'm rolling with someone and we end up in a wonky leg entanglement. Both of his feet were outside my hip, but mine were basically in a bad guard around his hips. I couldn't get anything on his ankles from the angle I was at, but I could trap them and I had good control of our position. So, I rolled us over, stood up, sat back, and locked his ankles against each other...

I have now tapped someone with The Sharpshooter.

Anyone else hit any ridiculous "fake" moves lately?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I do a shoryuken sometimes against one guy in sparring if I can set it up just right. I dream of a flying triangle becoming a hurricanrana thogh

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Anyone got any advice for bouncing on the doors of a nightclub?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Road report please

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

willie_dee posted:

Anyone got any advice for bouncing on the doors of a nightclub?

Make sure that everyone knows you're Alpha. Don't let anyone step up on you. Make sure that the plebs know their place.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Make sure that everyone knows you're Alpha. Don't let anyone step up on you. Make sure that the plebs know their place.

I'm trying and it seems to be working but I have complete imposter syndrome. Luckily I'm with a lot of very experienced people so I doubt I'll need to do anything.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

generatrix posted:

Anyone else hit any ridiculous "fake" moves lately?

Dude turtled, put my legs around his arms looking for a crucifix, he flattened out by accident. Gable grip around the chin and turn the chin for the Crippler Crossface.

Rock bottom from me stumbling and falling on an Osoto Gari attempt.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 16, 2017

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

willie_dee posted:

I'm trying and it seems to be working but I have complete imposter syndrome. Luckily I'm with a lot of very experienced people so I doubt I'll need to do anything.

It's the same as prison rules - every night pick one guy, and just beat the absolute poo poo out of him for no reason so everyone knows not to mess with you. You should also be screaming "I'm a man! I'm a man!". This is the only way the other doormen will respect you.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Not to be too harsh but there isn't fifty ways to say this:

You're a guy that's completely in love with the idea of looking for fights in the wild against bike thieves. You seem to have violent fantasies and I don't believe you're properly equipped to work in bar security as you've never shown much aptitudes in regards to deescalation. The fact you're using steroids means you're very susceptible to classic markers of toxic masculinity. The fact you want to be Alpha but deep inside believe you're beta ( because you mention the impostor syndrome) shows you're not in it for the security and wellbeing of the establishment and it's patrons but instead in it for yourself and your ego. Best advice I can give you is go and meet a therapist and work on the inadequacies you feel in life. I'm quite sure they are legitimate, but the career path you're going down is self destructive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
That's not too harsh, but you take this message board far too seriously. The night has been lovely.