Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Yeah I'm not sure. LA public school, so maybe Silverlake is to cool for school in that regard. My brother asked me for a laptop around $500 to replace an old imac. I told him chromebook, but then wasn't sure which one.

My nephew isn't coding on it or anything just doing normal 11 year old stuff I'd guess. What am I supposed to be looking at to differentiate them? Touch screen? Quality of screen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

This is me. I didn't know that Intel was coming out with a new line of chips and it looks like the release date is this month or next month? Do you guess they'll have the new ones trickling down to Thinkpads or other brands' equivalents by the holidays or new year?

Yeah expect the new intel chips to start trickling in to the high end and mid-high models just before Christmas, more likely early-mid January, if the XPS 13/15 and T460 rollout in Jan 17 was any indicator.

Factoring in shipping time you're looking at 4 months or 1/3rd of a year, if you want to wait that long.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I've been in the market for a 12"-13", ultraportable, convertible laptop with pen for school for a while now. Last year I thought it was going to be the new Dell XPS 13 2-in-1, but it turned out that the 2-in-1 version wasn't that good.

I recently came across the Samsung Notebook 9 Pro w/ S-Pen that just came out around July and I'm leaning towards that pretty heavily.

But then I also just heard that Samsung is coming out with a new Notebook 9 w/ 8th gen intel hardware (and S-Pen) this september, so I'll probably wait for that.

But I can't seem to figure out the differences in the Pro vs Non-Pro versions of the Notebook 9 Series. Anyone know? Also what's the general opinion of the Samsung Notebook 9 Pro w/ S-Pen?

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
My wife is getting my current laptop because hers farted out, so I'm finally looking for a new one. I need:
- pen support/digitizer
- exactly 1080p native res, 13-15ish inch display
- good to great battery life (7+ hours)
- something that could make it through 4-5 years if I take care of it

My budget is 2k, though I'd love to stay as low as possible. I've had my eye on the X1 Yoga, but I know nothing about how Lenovo stacks up to the competition these days.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

-Blackadder- posted:

But I can't seem to figure out the differences in the Pro vs Non-Pro versions of the Notebook 9 Series. Anyone know? Also what's the general opinion of the Samsung Notebook 9 Pro w/ S-Pen?

The non-pro is a normal laptop, no flip or pen. It's also extremely light, like LG Gram territory.

I had a 15" 9 pro, and I loved the poo poo out of it except for two things: 1080p @ 15 inches is just not enough resolution for me, and the dGPU wasn't supported by premiere for some reason, even though it should be. I returned it for those reasons, but the 13" model doesn't have either of these issues and is a really great little machine. If you are actually going to use the pen, go for it. It's lowkey one of the best machines for pen artists out there right now, due to the EMR digitizer.

edit: ^^^ you should look at it, too, it covers all your bases for half your budget. The X1 yoga is a fantastic machine as well, but considerably more expensive and the pen technology is a minor step down.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 15, 2017

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The non-pro is a normal laptop, no flip or pen. It's also extremely light, like LG Gram territory.

I had a 15" 9 pro, and I loved the poo poo out of it except for two things: 1080p @ 15 inches is just not enough resolution for me, and the dGPU wasn't supported by premiere for some reason, even though it should be. I returned it for those reasons, but the 13" model doesn't have either of these issues and is a really great little machine. If you are actually going to use the pen, go for it. It's lowkey one of the best machines for pen artists out there right now, due to the EMR digitizer.

edit: ^^^ you should look at it, too, it covers all your bases for half your budget. The X1 yoga is a fantastic machine as well, but considerably more expensive and the pen technology is a minor step down.

I do use Premiere so I'm a tiny bit concerned with that, though I'd much prefer the 15 inch model. Do you think that's a permanent issue?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Gaspy Conana posted:

I do use Premiere so I'm a tiny bit concerned with that, though I'd much prefer the 15 inch model. Do you think that's a permanent issue?

Probably not. It seems to have to do with AMD's auto-switching. If you disable the Intel graphics completely, Premiere will happily use it, but it's a bad solution that causes a ton of other issues. I filed a bug report with Adobe and AMD, so hopefully either or both of them will patch it, but I needed a machine to take on a trip that week so I had to return it. It accelerates Photoshop just fine as well, so I dunno. I really liked the machine otherwise, and if they put a QHD display in there I'll gladly buy it again. Even the keyboard was surprisingly great, much better than the XPS line or the Razer Blade i'm using now.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I played around with the Samsung CB Plus; it's really nice, and it reminds me of a larger first-gen Asus Flip in a few ways. The CPU is interesting, it's a hexa-core (2+4) ARM, and it's clearly not as fast as the fastest Intel CPUs (like the Broadwell or Skylake ones on the highest-end CBs) but it's sufficient. The stylus input seems to work fine, but isn't something I'd take advantage of frequently. Android apps run very well, basically as well as I'd imagine an Android tablet would with the same SoC. Again, this is where the Pro vs. Plus difference comes in: are you more interested in Android apps or outright Chrome performance? The high-res display is very nice; it's basically on-par with that on the HP 13 or CB Pixel. The non-backlit keyboard seems OK, but the one thing that bugs me about it is that the chiclet keys are so low and they travel deep enough such that they go beneath the keyboard frame, which makes it get in the way when I try to do multi-key combinations like Ctrl-Shift-Tab, the first two keys depressed with my thumb and that horizontal bar partially blocks the middle of my thumb. Also if you were just typing in general and hit the edges of the keys like I sometimes do then your fingers would also get blocked. Other than that, it's really nice, and it works exactly like every other ChromeOS device!

Hdip posted:

Yeah I'm not sure. LA public school, so maybe Silverlake is to cool for school in that regard. My brother asked me for a laptop around $500 to replace an old imac. I told him chromebook, but then wasn't sure which one.

My nephew isn't coding on it or anything just doing normal 11 year old stuff I'd guess. What am I supposed to be looking at to differentiate them? Touch screen? Quality of screen?

Ok, for your nephew, do you want to lean towards something durable? There are some education-sector-specific models, like the Lenovo Yoga 11e. I have an older version (N2930 CPU) of this one; they basically just update it every generation with a new CPU, because all of the specs seem to remain the same. 4 GB of RAM is the recommended minimum, WXGA/HD display which is fine at 11", nice keyboard (not backlit) with curved keycaps, touchscreen with 360° hinge, and a ruggedized design that will survive being manhandled into and out of a backpack. You don't need to get the very latest model, however, as you can find recent models for a fraction of the cost. (That N3150 CPU is fine, it's the one commonly available on the frequently-recommended Acer R11, which is a similar convertible Chromebook just intended for general-use and not the education market specifically.)

There are other education-market CBs from Dell; any of those are fine (including the cheapest models; you don't need an i3 CPU) and they're kind of like the Lenovo, except these aren't convertibles and not all have touchscreens, and they're larger (13") despite having the same resolution, which is I guess passable at this price point. Here are some other listings on Amazon.

HP also has a similar education-sector model. I don't have direct experience with either the Dell or the HP, but the latter appears closer to the Lenovo in specs and capabilities. Alternate listings:
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/933053/HP-Chromebook-x360-11-G1-EE/
https://www.cdw.com/shop/products/HP-Chromebook-x360-11-G1-Education-Edition-11.6in-Celeron-N3350-8-GB/4566114.aspx

That's all for the nephew's CB recommendation; I can totally give you another one for your brother around $500, but it'd be something a little bigger and nicer. Can you confirm that he'd be OK with ChromeOS though? In other words, can he get everything done that he needs within a Web browser? I'm sure 95% of people can get 95% of what they need to do done in Chrome. I often recommend refurbished devices from Woot; right now they still have this HP 13 which is the highest-end version of that device and was effectively the 2016 version of the Google Pixel (Google having helped HP design it and not released their own update to the 2015 Pixel.) I have that very version (which originally cost around twice what that refurb is going for) and it's really nice all-around (build quality, high-res display, backlit keyboard, etc.) except it gets hot on the bottom (it's fanless.) It's not the only CB I'd recommend, but an example of one of the nicest laptops you can buy. As an alternative at the other end of the price range, there's the Acer CB 14, which is physically nice, with a metallic Mac-like chassis but is otherwise modestly equipped with a sufficient CPU (on the lowest-end of what I recommend), the minimum recommended amount of RAM (4 GB), a non-backlit keyboard, and a decent 14" FHD display. It's physically nice, and what I recommend for like a "Mom" laptop, but it's no contest between it and the HP 13. There are of course other recommendations if you'd like.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Atomizer posted:

I played around with the Samsung CB Plus;

Awesome. I'm trying to figure out if I would really want to use any android apps at all. I have 2 android phones in front of me and I can't think of any app I use on them that can't be replicated in chrome to either the same effect or better.

If that is the case, the Pro would probably be a better move since its speedier in Chrome//has better linux compatibility right? The price difference is like $100 I think so its not a huge hurdle to get over

E: Also I was just googling around the other day and reading some stuff about getting Linux (Ubuntu in this case iirc) installed on these machines and it seemed like it was a little janky switching back and forth between ChromeOS and whatever linux distro. Was that just me misinterpreting what I was reading//one of those things where when you actually use it it is clear, or is it actually kinda janky?

Worf fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 16, 2017

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Statutory Ape posted:

Awesome. I'm trying to figure out if I would really want to use any android apps at all. I have 2 android phones in front of me and I can't think of any app I use on them that can't be replicated in chrome to either the same effect or better.

If that is the case, the Pro would probably be a better move since its speedier in Chrome//has better linux compatibility right? The price difference is like $100 I think so its not a huge hurdle to get over

E: Also I was just googling around the other day and reading some stuff about getting Linux (Ubuntu in this case iirc) installed on these machines and it seemed like it was a little janky switching back and forth between ChromeOS and whatever linux distro. Was that just me misinterpreting what I was reading//one of those things where when you actually use it it is clear, or is it actually kinda janky?

Yeah, even though I have a few CBs that can run ARC in Stable now, I've never really had the need to run Android apps on them because I use Android natively on other devices. It's basically about whether you have apps that would run better on a large display, or ones that won't run on ChromeOS natively. I use a Slingbox, and aside from the embedded player you can't stream to ChromeOS; that's where having the ability to use the Android app (which works fantastically on the Samsung Plus, by the way) comes in handy (I don't normally take a tablet to work, but I always have a CB with me.*) I'm sure there are other examples of software where they only have mobile and not Web versions.

The Pro/Plus difference comes down to exactly that: ChromeOS/Linux performance vs. Android app performance. Just FYI, these refurbs were only $50 apart on Woot ($350 vs $400) but are both sold out at the moment. You could probably wait because I wouldn't be surprised if more stock showed up.

When switching between ChromeOS and Ubuntu, I did once in a while run into issues with either the audio or video, IIRC, however because ChromeOS works for pretty much everything I need to do I haven't booted into or updated my Ubuntu chroots in a long time. (In other words, any such bugs may have been ironed out in the interim.) For the most part, if you're using Ubuntu (or Debian, or whatever else is available now) on a ChromeOS device you can probably stay in it most of the time rather than switching back and forth repeatedly. You can install Chromium (but not Chrome) in a chroot instance FYI, again at least the last time I tried.

*To expand on the having a CB with me at work, I bring a Toshiba CB 2 in my backpack "just in case." It's the crappy 2014 first-gen version, though, and it has a great display but a lovely N2840 CPU. The CPU is really the low point of this machine, because aside from not having a backlit keyboard this is as good as the refreshed 2015 version in every other way. The N2840, though, is such a dog, it's really painful to do everything: opening new tabs, refreshing tabs, playing video, hitting "Preview Reply" here on SA; even mouse input is laggy when the system is chugging along doing anything else. This is why I recommend at least the subsequent N29xx CPUs if not the N31xx ones. (N30xx are dual-core vs. quad.) Beyond that the other Celerons (xxxxU) are typically Haswell or Broadwell-based or better and are quite significantly speedier.

Also, as a slightly unrelated aside, I tried out the Citrix Receiver for Chrome, and it works exactly as expected, if not a little better than the Windows equivalent (this was on a Windows system running Chrome.) There was some discussion about Citrix a while back and I had not used it myself at that time.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone tried charging a small Core M laptop/tablet from a regular powerbank through usb 3.1 type-c? There are several power profiles (p. 5) in the standard and it seems like it should work with the 5V/2A power bank, but it might also require 12V/1.5-3A. I don't have all the hardware to test it yet myself at the moment, which would've been pretty easy.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

mobby_6kl posted:

Has anyone tried charging a small Core M laptop/tablet from a regular powerbank through usb 3.1 type-c? There are several power profiles (p. 5) in the standard and it seems like it should work with the 5V/2A power bank, but it might also require 12V/1.5-3A. I don't have all the hardware to test it yet myself at the moment, which would've been pretty easy.

I've had some luck googling this question with regards to specific power bank-laptop combos, specifically the Xiaomi Air 13.3 and various powerbanks.

E: Also a lot of people will test that stuff on specific laptop models too so the info you want might be out there if you had a specific model in mind

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Atomizer posted:

I'm sure there are other examples of software where they only have mobile and not Web versions.
Netflix offline cache support (ie. downloading a movie for later) was a big one for me.

Amara
Jun 4, 2009
Is there a particular set of laptops I should be looking at if I want a well-built light laptop that runs windows and photoshop/hearthstone is pretty much the extent of the strain I'd put on it? I'd like an SSD, a decent non-touch screen, and some sort of hdmi out. Like, how cheap can I conceivably get such a laptop? Refurbished or used would be fine as long as the battery was decent.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had like the exact use requirements and they suggested the Acer Aspire e-15 and it's basically perfect

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Amara posted:

Is there a particular set of laptops I should be looking at if I want a well-built light laptop that runs windows and photoshop/hearthstone is pretty much the extent of the strain I'd put on it? I'd like an SSD, a decent non-touch screen, and some sort of hdmi out. Like, how cheap can I conceivably get such a laptop? Refurbished or used would be fine as long as the battery was decent.

Empress Brosephine posted:

I had like the exact use requirements and they suggested the Acer Aspire e-15 and it's basically perfect

Atomizer posted:

You don't need anywhere near that price range for that functionality. Get this Acer, add a $50 128 GB m.2 SATA SSD from eBay, add 4 GB of DDR4 for ~$25 from eBay, and you're done. It meets all your requirements, has all of those components, and is about as lightweight as any 15" laptop. ~$425 for the 3 components and <10 minutes of opening the bottom panel and installing the hardware, and then either use Macrium Reflect to clone the boot drive or just make a free Windows 10 USB installation medium and do a fresh install (which is probably the better option to clear any bloatware.) You can Paypal me my half (we're going 50:50 of course ;) ) of the money I "saved" her. ;)

As an aside, Atomizer, while I was looking back to quote that rec for the guy I noticed you say that you like https://www.amazon.com/Acer-i5-8250U-NVIDIA-GeForce-SF314-52G-55WQ/dp/B0746P25QX more than the Xiaomi Air 13.3 w/ mx150, whats that based on? just so similar in spec/price but not totally hosed if something goes wrong?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01L...XyeL&ref=plSrch

This is the one I. Went with. Should I add any extras to it

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Nope, it was a solid rec imo. Has a decent size SSD and 8g of ram already.

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

My Asus Chromebook C302CA seems only to slow charge with 5v on from those (it has a notification of possibly not charging). I think it requires 12v to charge properly. The power banks work in a pinch though.

I'm not sure if there are already power banks available with the USB-C PD spec which should provide the correct voltage for high powered charging.

Amara
Jun 4, 2009
Huh, will 128GB be a large enough hard drive? I guess I don't really need to store all that much and I won't really be installing games.

I haven't replaced parts in a laptop though I've added ram and taken things apart to clean them before. Anything I should watch out for in terms of accidentally buying the wrong parts?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I haven't gotten a new laptop since like 2007; am I still supposed to like update bios and other stuff from the mfct site?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Man the Dell Inspiron 7000 is more powerful than the XPS 15 in every way, that's perfect for my use case (playing videogames, mostly), but it does not have the InfinityEdge and that's all I want! Because I'm an insane baby!!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also question my new laptop has two graphics cards; the nobodies 940 and the Intel.m Integrated but the computer keeps using the integrated. How do I stop this? I went into control panel and disabled the Intel but it won't actually let me configure nvidia settings then. What am I doing wrong?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Also question my new laptop has two graphics cards; the nobodies 940 and the Intel.m Integrated but the computer keeps using the integrated. How do I stop this? I went into control panel and disabled the Intel but it won't actually let me configure nvidia settings then. What am I doing wrong?

Don't do this. Make sure both your intel and nvidia drivers are up to date and leave it alone. It will automatically switch based on what application you're using and whether you're plugged in or not. If you want to force specific apps to use the dgpu, use the nvidia control panel under "manage 3d settings".

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
huh okay that makes more sense i wont mess with it then, thanks.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

the nobodies 940

Ah another Google keyboard user

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Jinnigan posted:

Man the Dell Inspiron 7000 is more powerful than the XPS 15 in every way, that's perfect for my use case (playing videogames, mostly), but it does not have the InfinityEdge and that's all I want! Because I'm an insane baby!!

To be fair, having thin bezels is kind of amazing and I'm certain that if I had to switch laptops to a fat bezeled one, I'd hate it for at least a month before begrudgingly letting myself get used to it.

I'd spite myself over small bezels, they're that cool.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hmmm every once in a while when I load a page on this new laptop I get a blank black page....happens on random sites. seems to me to be a graphical error? Any clue? Thanks all

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

hmmm every once in a while when I load a page on this new laptop I get a blank black page....happens on random sites. seems to me to be a graphical error? Any clue? Thanks all

Is that in Google Chrome? I get that sometimes as well and wonder if it has to do with hardware rendering.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Is that in Google Chrome? I get that sometimes as well and wonder if it has to do with hardware rendering.

Recently started getting the issue in Vivaldi as well, disabling hardware acceleration appears to have fixed it.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah it happens to me in chrome. Will ty hardware acceleration.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

The short answer, it should work, but the power bank may not be able to supply enough power to both run the device and charge it. It might just be able to hold the laptop's charge, it might just make it discharge more slowly, or the laptop may just refuse to charge. I'm actually apparently in the minority where I don't really have a use for power banks, because if I happen to be using a device that doesn't hold a charge long enough to last until I get back home, I'm always somewhere that I can plug in anyway (car, work, etc.) That being said, this is a Type C output power bank that might work with certain devices (note that there's a list of excluded devices in the "Compatible Devices" section) but note that it only outputs 15 W, while there's an updated version with 30 W output over Type C PD.

roomforthetuna posted:

Netflix offline cache support (ie. downloading a movie for later) was a big one for me.

Ah, that's a good point too. I more commonly use Plex though, and the Chrome extension does apparently allow downloading content (although I never use it.)

Amara posted:

Statutory Ape helpfully linked my recent post (thank you!) with my typical low-cost Windows laptop recommendation. It's a very good deal for ~$425-450 after those easy upgrades as long as you're willing to do them. It's got HDMI out, a decent FHD display, a backlit keyboard (which is generally unheard of in laptops this cheap), and a decent Kaby Lake ULV CPU. Add 4 GB of DDR4 (or 8 GB if you'd like) and an m.2 SATA SSD, then use the free Windows 10 installer to make a USB boot drive and give yourself a fresh copy of Windows on the SSD.

I don't use Photoshop, but I'd imagine it works OK at least on that system. I don't think Hearthstone is particularly demanding, but it seems to work well on an older CPU.

If you for whatever reason didn't want to do the upgrades yourself, and/or wanted a slightly faster dGPU in the 940MX you could go with that other Acer E 15 variant that Empress Brosephine went with, which already has an SSD and 8 GB of RAM (and I think has the other slot unpopulated for additional RAM), but besides that GPU (and a slightly faster CPU) being the main differentiating factors those are largely the same laptop. You can also find other variants, some with the previous-gen Skylake CPU (which is just fine) used, refurb'd, or even new on eBay, closer to $500 if you search for "E5-575", like this or this.

Statutory Ape posted:

As an aside, Atomizer, while I was looking back to quote that rec for the guy I noticed you say that you like https://www.amazon.com/Acer-i5-8250U-NVIDIA-GeForce-SF314-52G-55WQ/dp/B0746P25QX more than the Xiaomi Air 13.3 w/ mx150, whats that based on? just so similar in spec/price but not totally hosed if something goes wrong?

The Acer is probably going to be the better choice between those two because while they're similar, it'd definitely be easier to deal with Acer US support (and Amazon, for example, if you ordered it there) and then you also don't have to deal with that whole "Chinese Windows" situation. They are similarly priced, similarly equipped, although the Acer is probably a bit bigger due to the larger display, but the big difference is that brand-spanking new Coffee Lake CPU, which looks pretty beastly. 4C8T like an i7 is pretty refreshing considering we've largely been dealing with 2C4T ULV CPUs with even a quad-core i5-HQ being generally relegated to chunky 15" laptop territory.

Don't get me wrong, the Xiaomi is very nice for what it is, but if you're considering those two machines, and one of them has to be imported and isn't even significantly faster or cheaper, that makes the Acer the better choice. The Xiaomi doesn't really have any flaws, and it does have 2 m.2 slots which is pretty rare in general though.

Also I'll just reiterate that around this price point those two laptops are only worth it if you need something in the "gaming Ultrabook" segment, because for around the same price you could get one of those refurb'd i5-HQ/1050 Ti laptops (e.g. the Dell 7000) which would be bigger and less portable (with worse battery life) but with much better gaming performance.

You don't need to do anything to it, but part of its value is that it's easy to upgrade; I'd turn it upside down and open that panel in the middle of the bottom. Take a look to confirm that you've got a RAM slot open (it probably came with just 1x8 GB module) and whether the SSD is 2.5" or m.2. Then at your pleasure you could add more RAM (maybe $50 for 8 GB) and another drive (it probably has the SSD as m.2, so you could add an HDD for game storage or another SSD for the hell of it.) Again, you don't need to do any of those upgrades, but you have the option if you'd like.

Amara posted:

Huh, will 128GB be a large enough hard drive? I guess I don't really need to store all that much and I won't really be installing games.

I haven't replaced parts in a laptop though I've added ram and taken things apart to clean them before. Anything I should watch out for in terms of accidentally buying the wrong parts?

A ~128 GB sized SSD is the minimum I'd recommend for a comfortable Windows installation. You have just enough space for the OS and updates, plus common non-game applications like Chrome. You could always just get a ~256 GB one and that would probably be more than enough.

If you are narrowing your selection down to a model we can confirm and link parts for you. Basically if you're looking for RAM you need the right type (DDR3 or DDR4) and form factor ("SO-DIMM"), and for an m.2 SSD you have to confirm interface compatibility (either SATA or NVMe (PCIe)) and size (typically 80 mm length.)

I haven't gotten a new laptop since like 2007; am I still supposed to like update bios and other stuff from the mfct site?

It doesn't hurt to check for a BIOS update.

Yeah this is exactly how it's supposed to work; nVidia Optimus switches between the GPUs so the system uses the lower-power iGPU for low-intensity tasks and switches to the dGPU for gaming.

On my Windows desktop I get weird Chrome issues with pages sometimes not loading, requiring a refresh. I'm still unable to resolve that problem, however interestingly enough on ChromeOS everything works perfectly. :shrug: :iiam:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You guys are so helpful thank you so much. Glad to hear the Chrome problem isn't just me though.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks all for the feedback!

Atomizer posted:

The short answer, it should work, but the power bank may not be able to supply enough power to both run the device and charge it. It might just be able to hold the laptop's charge, it might just make it discharge more slowly, or the laptop may just refuse to charge. I'm actually apparently in the minority where I don't really have a use for power banks, because if I happen to be using a device that doesn't hold a charge long enough to last until I get back home, I'm always somewhere that I can plug in anyway (car, work, etc.) That being said, this is a Type C output power bank that might work with certain devices (note that there's a list of excluded devices in the "Compatible Devices" section) but note that it only outputs 15 W, while there's an updated version with 30 W output over Type C PD.
It'd be perfectly fine even if it just discharged slower, really. The only time I'm carrying a powerbank myself is when I'm travelling so the use case I'm thinking of is just plugging it in while on a long donkey ride in the middle of nowhere to extend the run time.

rantAK posted:

My Asus Chromebook C302CA seems only to slow charge with 5v on from those (it has a notification of possibly not charging). I think it requires 12v to charge properly. The power banks work in a pinch though.

I'm not sure if there are already power banks available with the USB-C PD spec which should provide the correct voltage for high powered charging.
That'd be good enough if it worked at 5V. There are powerbanks that specifically do USB PD, like the ones Atomizer liked above, but I probably don't need this enough to spend fifty bucks on one.

Statutory Ape posted:

I've had some luck googling this question with regards to specific power bank-laptop combos, specifically the Xiaomi Air 13.3 and various powerbanks.

E: Also a lot of people will test that stuff on specific laptop models too so the info you want might be out there if you had a specific model in mind
Definitely makes more sense to look for specific models as it really seems to depend on the implementation. I didn't find much info on the model but an older version required 20v PD support. Worst case I could probably hack together a usb to 12v dc jack boost converter, since it's dumb as a brick.

Amara
Jun 4, 2009

Atomizer posted:

A ~128 GB sized SSD is the minimum I'd recommend for a comfortable Windows installation. You have just enough space for the OS and updates, plus common non-game applications like Chrome. You could always just get a ~256 GB one and that would probably be more than enough.

If you are narrowing your selection down to a model we can confirm and link parts for you. Basically if you're looking for RAM you need the right type (DDR3 or DDR4) and form factor ("SO-DIMM"), and for an m.2 SSD you have to confirm interface compatibility (either SATA or NVMe (PCIe)) and size (typically 80 mm length.)

What I actually realised once y'all were talking about swapping hard drives and ram was that it was worth a shot to replace my old laptop's hard drive with an SSD first (it's the hard drive that's failing). This is the ThinkPad W500 that I've been limping along since 2008. Nowadays I mostly use a desktop and only need a portable computer a few times a year, so I'm going to see if I can squeeze another few years out of it. If that fails I'll take the hard drive and the ram out of that computer and put it into the recommended Acer. It's been a good little laptop and has served me well through several moves and still worked very well up until the random crashes started.

fivehead
Jul 11, 2017

Americans Need Cash Now

Hdip posted:

I've used a C740 for two years and written college papers on it with no problem. Still gets 9ish hours of web/google docs battery life and crazy sleep mode.

The sequel, the Acer C771, just came out for $279. Newer processor arch, newer GPU (he can watch any web video ever without killing the battery), and it now has an IPS screen and a USB C port. Mine is in the mail to replace my C740 which will be duct taped to the back of my second monitor for browsing during PUBG.

I've been Acer since C710, this line is insane for the value it brings. No superflous features, android support, crazy battery life. Save the $250 and go race gokarts or something.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
Hey folks, my current laptop is starting to die via a bad connection with the screen, so I'm beginning to shop around for a new laptop, since I can't afford to be without a computer as I am in school. I'm looking for something capable of light to moderate gaming (most intense game may be a ~1 year old game on all low settings), relatively durable, and my upper price limit is about $1.1k. I currently have a refurbished Dell Inspiron 15 5558, which has been fine for most things besides gaming. Keyboard with a number pad is preferable.

From reading a couple pages, the XPS 15 and Inspiron 7000 seem viable, but I'm pretty unimpressed with how little time the Inspiron 15 5558 has lasted me. Any suggestions? Laptop shopping nowadays seems pretty incomprehensible to me, so sorry if this seems kinda jumbled.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Invisible Ted posted:

Hey folks, my current laptop is starting to die via a bad connection with the screen, so I'm beginning to shop around for a new laptop, since I can't afford to be without a computer as I am in school. I'm looking for something capable of light to moderate gaming (most intense game may be a ~1 year old game on all low settings), relatively durable, and my upper price limit is about $1.1k. I currently have a refurbished Dell Inspiron 15 5558, which has been fine for most things besides gaming. Keyboard with a number pad is preferable.

From reading a couple pages, the XPS 15 and Inspiron 7000 seem viable, but I'm pretty unimpressed with how little time the Inspiron 15 5558 has lasted me. Any suggestions? Laptop shopping nowadays seems pretty incomprehensible to me, so sorry if this seems kinda jumbled.

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-E5-575G...ywords=acer+e15

numpad+decently built+will run anything you throw at it if you fiddle with settings

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Invisible Ted posted:

Hey folks, my current laptop is starting to die via a bad connection with the screen,

A new display cable is like a $15 part, if you can't replace it yourself you should be able to get the guy at best buy to replace it for under $50. If you're really hurting for money and the only thing wrong with the laptop is the display, worst case scenario someone will fix it for $100, way cheaper than buying a whole new laptop, if I'm understanding you correctly. Like saying you need a new car because the fan belt broke on your Corolla sedan. And then swearing off Toyota forever, even though people say Toyota Land Cruisers are really durable SUVs.

XPS 15 is about three grades higher quality machine than your existing one, just because they are produced by the same company means nothing in this case.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
In general, if your computer is still powerful enough to do what you want and there's something relatively simple wrong with it, please please please get it fixed. It's good for your wallet and the planet. Even if you do get a new one, ebay the old one as a parts machine or look up your local refurbisher. Few things make me sadder than good computers getting shredded for no reason.

edit: actually lots of things make me sadder but it's still pretty sad.