Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."
Is there a specific vendor I should be selling the paintings from Fort Joy to? Everyone is only quoting me like 15-40g a piece and that's far from the gold mine everyone keeps saying it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I've noticed a bug with Fane:

Somehow I bugged out his "voice" during char selection and instead of "Fane" he had "trickster" voice. Later in that playthrough, he didn't seem to be getting Fane dialogue choices.

Restarted and now he has Fane voice and Fane dialogue choices.

I had this with Lohse as well at character creation, how far did you get before this happened?

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki
I had it with Fane too, guess I'll start again, his voice sounds wrong!

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
SO... if we really can't ever come back to the island.. is there any good reason to not just murder everyone? Do the waypoint teleporters and everything get disabled or something?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Oh goddam I've got party choice paralysis

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Harrow posted:

Holy poo poo pickpocket is broken as gently caress, this is amazing. Nothing like robbing every merchant in Fort Joy blind and getting away squeaky clean.

Yeah, I think the actual DOSII game is a game to pickpocket every single character.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Is it possible for party members to go "gently caress it" and just leave you if you piss them off too much?

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
also where do i bring the balckc cat

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I AM BRAWW posted:

also where do i bring the balckc cat

Avoid going up to the second row of guards at the Fort Joy prison gate at all costs. You need to take him with you through to the Marshes.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

I'm playing a multiplayer game with a friend and we're lone-wolfing and ignoring companions. I started as an undead cleric for "reasons" and it's been going to poo poo. I've been gravitating away from hydro and prioritizing warfare even more than necro, but I'm pretty eager to respec as we finish Act 1.

With my friend being a ridiculously powerful ranger and me being undead, does anyone have recommendations for what I can go with that'd give good synergy and performance?

I'm not opposed to leaning harder on war/necro, if anyone has skill advice there. I've been sword-and-boarding it but haven't found anyone selling Taunt yet so basically I'm an rear end in a top hat liability in combat scenarios and just want to do better.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

I'm playing a multiplayer game with a friend and we're lone-wolfing and ignoring companions. I started as an undead cleric for "reasons" and it's been going to poo poo. I've been gravitating away from hydro and prioritizing warfare even more than necro, but I'm pretty eager to respec as we finish Act 1.

With my friend being a ridiculously powerful ranger and me being undead, does anyone have recommendations for what I can go with that'd give good synergy and performance?

I'm not opposed to leaning harder on war/necro, if anyone has skill advice there. I've been sword-and-boarding it but haven't found anyone selling Taunt yet so basically I'm an rear end in a top hat liability in combat scenarios and just want to do better.

As for that last bit, from what I've read the Taunt skill like everything else, won't work unless the enemy has all their physical armor destroyed first. I hope this is not the case, but I have the feeling it honestly works that way.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Section Z posted:

As for that last bit, from what I've read the Taunt skill like everything else, won't work unless the enemy has all their physical armor destroyed first. I hope this is not the case, but I have the feeling it honestly works that way.

It does.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Yeah this is definitely gonna be one of those "hope you didn't plan on playing anything else for a month" kind of games for me. I've put 13 hours into the game already and I've barely gotten out of Fort Joy.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Is there a hotkey to quickly chain/unchain party members?

Haven't read through thread because trying to go through it as blind as possible, so I'm sorry if this has been asked before.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Artelier posted:

Is there a hotkey to quickly chain/unchain party members?

Haven't read through thread because trying to go through it as blind as possible, so I'm sorry if this has been asked before.

You can just yank their portrait sideways really quick to unchain them.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
So I've been getting a bit overwhelmed divvying up a billion pieces of equipment in my single player game and was considering trying a lone wolf run: Fane as a warfare/necro/dip in poly 2h lifesteal tank who wades in and lifesteals the poo poo out of everyone, and the Red Prince as a pyro/geo mage who sets literally everything on fire. Probably get Demon on Fane eventually and stack fire resist until he can just give no shits about all the poison and fire TRP shits out. Do you think this would work? Is it missing anything crucial?

e: Oh, it's probably not good to have one dude who does entirely physical and one who's entirely magical, huh. But if I give Fane a staff and go in on int for him, he won't be able to equip armor with good physical armor, and...:stare: Help

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 17, 2017

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

exquisite tea posted:

You can just yank their portrait sideways really quick to unchain them.

Sure, but if I did that to all party members, each time I unchain and chain back it'd be six mouse swings. I'm hoping for something closer to 2 button taps.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Act 1 spoilers. Is there any way to call in the favor with that ice dragon I saved because this (presumably) final fight in act 1 is loving miserable on Tactician.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ojetor posted:

Is that what it is? That explains a lot about my current game. That's pretty disappointing, to be honest. The awesome thing about tactician in DOS1 was that while enemies did get a slight stat bump, the true difficulty came from changed encounters by having additional skills on enemies, or more enemies, or stronger kinds of enemies. Just giving everything massive stat boots is a pretty awful way of increasing difficulty.

Probably gonna keep on powering through tactician since it's not possible to lower difficulty and I'm 10 horus in already, but I'm not thrilled with having to cheese every encounter by stacking the deck prefight and savescumming for perfect openers.

I'll also say flat stat boosts interact really badly with the armor system in this game. When enemies have huge armor values, having split sources of damage among your party is a big disadvantage because you can't focus down enemies if you have to go through both kinds of armor. I feel the game would be far easier if I just had 4 physical damage guys instead of my current 2 physical 2 magic split.
I actually really disagree that stat boosts weren't necessary - by end of OS1 you could alpha most groups no problem. They literally could not survive long enough to use those extra skills. The downside to this approach though is the very obvious brutal beginning game and it's not like that was exactly a problem in OS1.

I'm still sticking with it too but I agree about your armor system complaint big time. The only redeeming factor is one mage can shred the magic armor with damage so the other mage can slam home the debuffs. But I think I'm gonna respec into like a hybrid/physical physical/mage, yeah.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Phoix posted:

Act 1 spoilers. Is there any way to call in the favor with that ice dragon I saved because this (presumably) final fight in act 1 is loving miserable on Tactician.

He destroys all of the shriekers for you as you approach the harbor, coming down the stairs.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Okay... the controller mode is interesting and all, but I shouldn't have to completely exit out of the game to switch between controller and keyboard... and I had to alt+f4 to exit the game once I unplugged the controller because literally all keyboard interaction is disabled with the game...

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

NeurosisHead posted:

He destroys all of the shriekers for you as you approach the harbor, coming down the stairs.

... No, he doesn't? I saved him and that didn't happen for me, at least!

Of course, after I completed Act 1 it listed the quest as failed, so I guess the quest just glitched out like a bunch of others in Act 1 do.

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
This game seems hard as balls, even just playing on classic. I'm playing multiplayer right now and we're just getting the poo poo slapped out of us. I'm sure we're doing something horribly wrong. We're still in the first town even :smith:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

are the metamorph spells visually cool, like does your character actual change, or is it all big abstract effects like the lizardman fire breathing?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Um, what stats do you need to pass the persuade check with the Zaleskar outside of Fort Joy with Sibelle? Doesn't seem avoidable in the conversation and having a fight with someone with 800 HP and 400 armor is not happening yet. Unless you're supposed to lose or something?

juggalo baby coffin posted:

are the metamorph spells visually cool, like does your character actual change, or is it all big abstract effects like the lizardman fire breathing?
Bulls horn gives you bulls horn. Wings gives you wings. Dunno about the others.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Beobeobeo posted:

This game seems hard as balls, even just playing on classic. I'm playing multiplayer right now and we're just getting the poo poo slapped out of us. I'm sure we're doing something horribly wrong. We're still in the first town even :smith:

First: do you have a full party of 4 yet? The game's balanced around either a party of 4 or two characters both using Lone Wolf to make up for the disadvantages.

The game's combat relies heavily on action denial for you to gain an advantage, and elemental fields play a huge part in this. They do this both directly and indirectly:
  • Direct elemental fields, like electrified water or electrified steam, deny actions simply by existing, assuming that you've stripped away the appropriate armor type.
  • Indirect elemental fields, like fire or poison, deny actions by changing the behaviour of the AI. Enemies, depending on their type, have what I'll call an "aversion factor" to certain elemental fields that modifies their pathing. For example: humanoid enemies, when confronted with a sufficiently large field of fire, will do everything they can to avoid stepping foot in it, up to looking for an alternate path to getting around it, even at the cost of multiple turns.
Learning the various field combos - and, more importantly, positioning your party so that you don't get hosed by your own fields - is key. Having a good mixture of physical/magical armor stripping skills and complementary CC skills is also important for this.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Being undead/skeleton is so useful from the get go just because of the ability to sit in poison fields.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

NeurosisHead posted:

Which is pretty useless, really, since you can easily take them out yourself with the purging wand or Braccus' helmet, AND you get Source for doing so. They should have had the dragon help in the actual fight against Alexander and co. As it is, I killed the dragon in my current game, because taking down the shriekers is exactly what he did in EA as well, and it was dumb then. Pretty sad to hear they didn't change it.

Speaking of Alexander, just LOL at when you finish Act 1 and meet Malady on the Lady Vengeance, who tells you that *Alexander survived and is their prisoner, and quips something to the effect of, "Apparently you didn't hit him hard enough."

Guy was a puddle of guts and bones when I left him, lady, doubly so since I raised him as a bloated corpse and then exploded him in a shower of gore.

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 17, 2017

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
Man, gently caress Seekers. How do you kill those things? Am I not supposed to?

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Assuming you actually mean 'shriekers' (the things tied up on crosses): you need a special item to do it. Keep playing the game and you'll come across it eventually, but steer clear of them until you do.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Hamlet442 posted:

I think you mean shriekers. Seekers are the guys you want to not die probably.

Edit: Beaten'd

Looks like there are a handful of ways to get around the problem. Some of them are... less than nice to the seekers.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Hamlet442 posted:

You mean Shriekers? You need a specific ability that's granted by an item, you aren't supposed to fight them normally.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Is there any way for me to kill the ocean? Because that fucker stole my goddamn hat. That was a good hat. This outrage will not stand.

On the bright side, I made it to Fort Joy still at level 1, and I was able to recruit Red Prince, Lhose, and Sebille into my party still at level 1, so I avoided the issue with party members allocating their level 2 attribute points. ...But now I'm wondering if that means I missed something.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
Yeah, poo poo, I meant Shriekers. Conveniently I saved beforehand. Thanks for the advice. I'll steer clear of them for now.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
It's kind of rough how many people you can miss if you don't rush to their aid as soon as you see them pop up on your screen. My first playthrough on EA, I teleported my rogue/sneak Sibelle into the Fort Joy through the side for her to steal some stuff. I guess it trigered the Paladin Clark event, so I totally missed him on my first playthrough since he died. Succesfully saved him this time. Same thing with the Magister being killed by the Houndmaster.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

queeb posted:

is it possible to combine huntsman/summoner? since you dont need to buff int you can pump finesse and whatnot. thinking of a death knight dude, huntsman/summoner and then 2 mages

This is what I'm doing with my main PC (my party's really similar but instead of a second mage I have a fighter tank, but I'm going to make some changes when I beat act 1 and get the repsec). It works just fine, but there's not much of a reason to use summons when you have a strong ranged weapon, ever since I got Ifan's Shadow's Eye crossbow I haven't cast a summon even though I've been pumping Summoning.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 17, 2017

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

man i am just getting my rear end kicked. i got out of the fort but everything outside is way tougher than me and I have poo poo all for gear. the only good thing I have is ifan's crossbow. My party is a wizard, ifan, lohse and red prince all as their default specs.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
There are so many character builds I want to try, and so little time. Also, polymorph is unique, viable, and awesome. Great job Larian!

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

juggalo baby coffin posted:

man i am just getting my rear end kicked. i got out of the fort but everything outside is way tougher than me and I have poo poo all for gear. the only good thing I have is ifan's crossbow. My party is a wizard, ifan, lohse and red prince all as their default specs.

Maybe go back and grind some more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

When trying to set up a multiplayer game, under connectivity, when I click on Connection Type: Direct Connections it tries for a bit then says "Changing direct connect settings failed". It's the same for my friend as well. GOG. All google could find was this which I haven't tried yet, plus its from a year ago for OS1 it looks like. Any ideas?