Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
my favorite go quirk is that imports are file-scoped. so if you import fmt in one file you'll need to reimport it in another file in the same package.

however, file scope isn't really a thing otherwise. all other identifiers (even private ones) will be shared between files. which is super annoying because go has a serious problem with namespace collision due to the lack of generics and lack of any kind of module or namespacing system.

so there's a weird situation where imports are file-local but private variables declared in a file are package-local. it makes no sense.

what makes this even weirder is the fact that imports are mutable and maintain a global state.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i am also a go fan but how can you criticize generics as abusable in the same breath that you defend interfaces. empty interfaces are even more abusable than generics and they have the major downside of requiring runtime type checking. i just dont understand this argument.

moreover, the lack of generics forces you to use the empty interface constantly. (empty interface is the base type in golang, for those among us who are not yet victims)

since you can't express any complex ideas with the type system, you have to subvert the type system to accomplish anything complex!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah the type system should be a wonderful tool but in go it's an annoying straight jacket

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

also go imports and package/file scoping are insanely bad. hope u like dealing with cyclic dependencies.

holy poo poo, i love cyclic dependencies!

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

When you say "interface{}" I hear "void*"

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

we have a PL thread for this kind of discussion, this thread is for how your sound doesn't work when you play your Steam games over HDMI because the Linux people are making AMD rewrite everything to be more Linuxy

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

we have a PL thread for this kind of discussion, this thread is for how your sound doesn't work when you play your Steam games over HDMI because the Linux people are making AMD rewrite everything to be more Linuxy

if by "more linuxy" you mean "not a pile of garbage with a giant middle-layer, multiple separate edid parsers (on top of the one in the kernel), multiple i2c reimplementations (again, on top of the one in the kernel) and thousands of lines of dead code" then you are right. it was a textbook example of throwing something over the fence and labeling it open-source.

they've been making progress though and the todo list is getting shorter

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

which is super annoying because go has a serious problem with namespace collision due to the lack of generics and lack of any kind of module or namespacing system.

I agree that these things are weird quirks, not sure how they cause problems. What are languages with a good module or namespace system? Some variety of ML? What problems do you run into without them?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I responded to this post in the PL thread in case people want to take the discussion there, since it seems more on topic in that thread than this one:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i don't know what the gently caress anyone here is talking about; i just like the webserver. holy poo poo

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

atomicthumbs posted:

i don't know what the gently caress anyone here is talking about; i just like the webserver. holy poo poo

It's bad op

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

windows 10 works pretty well for me, op

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
SystemD is cool and good.

SystemD's Dbus API is also really cool and good.

Dbus is now not a complete loving nightmare to use thanks to it.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

its systemd not SystemD

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Tankakern posted:

its systemd not SystemD

Huh, auto capitalization on the S, however, I always thought it was a capital D. For you know... daemon.

And I have been using it for quite a while!

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

:owned:

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
You just got system'd.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Doom Mathematic posted:

You just got system'd.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
SshD

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
imagine having to press shift on the bash prompt :yikes:

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
Case-insensitive string comparison is not linuxy.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Truga posted:

imagine having to press shift on the bash prompt :yikes:

lol if you're not using tcsh

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I wonder why nobody's made an interactive shell written in Python yet. Seems like it would be a natural choice since you could write plugins for things like context-sensitive tab completion in an actual real programming language. It would be like PowerShell, except not poo poo.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

I wonder why nobody's made an interactive shell written in Python yet. Seems like it would be a natural choice since you could write plugins for things like context-sensitive tab completion in an actual real programming language. It would be like PowerShell, except not poo poo.

shells requiring language runtimes sucks

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
shells with their own lovely custom programming languages also suck. domain specific languages are the devil's playthings.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Bash sucks
VBScript sucks
PowerShell sucks
Matlab sucks
Maple sucks
Your IRC client's "scripting language" is a gigantic piece of poo poo
Your favorite build tool, unless it is Maven or maybe Meson, is a piece of poo poo
Excel... has compelling use cases, unfortunately. But it also sucks.
I haven't tried IFTTT but I'm sure it's also a piece of poo poo

Program maintenance is hard enough as it is. Why do people think creating a deliberately lobotomized programming language and then sticking your head in the sand by superstitiously avoiding the P word is somehow going to make it easier?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Sapozhnik posted:

Bash sucks
VBScript sucks
PowerShell sucks
Matlab sucks
Maple sucks
Your favorite build tool, unless it is Maven or maybe Meson, is a piece of poo poo
Yes to all of these.

quote:

It is.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Common Lisp and ASDF don't suck

we just need McCLIM to be done enough and then we can use the CLIM Listener for all interaction which will be even better

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
zsh is pretty needs suiting

also plz replace SystemD with SubstanceD.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

Yeah but fish is the new hipste

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

also plz replace SystemD with SubstanceD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNZeA4KbyDo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

Common Lisp and ASDF don't suck

we just need McCLIM to be done enough and then we can use the CLIM Listener for all interaction which will be even better

it's been twenty years and mcclim isn't complete

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

Bash sucks
VBScript sucks
PowerShell sucks
Matlab sucks
Maple sucks

Program maintenance is hard enough as it is. Why do people think creating a deliberately lobotomized programming language and then sticking your head in the sand by superstitiously avoiding the P word is somehow going to make it easier?

what about my operating system, op?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Skim Milk posted:

what about my operating system, op?

its a piece of poo poo

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

Bash sucks
VBScript sucks
PowerShell sucks
Matlab sucks
Maple sucks

right, except bash is good and fun, op. also vbscript is cool if you you're a malware programmer in the 90s - early naughts

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

OldAlias posted:

right, except bash is good and fun, op. also vbscript is cool if you you're a malware programmer in the 90s - early naughts

bash is only "cool" in the sense that it is a cool hack

it is amazing that someone managed to cobble together a scripting language using a command shell and a bunch of carefully named binaries

/bin/true
/bin/case
/bin/[

etc

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

God I can never remember the difference between [ and [[

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

bash is only "cool" in the sense that it is a cool hack

it is amazing that someone managed to cobble together a scripting language using a command shell and a bunch of carefully named binaries

/bin/true
/bin/case
/bin/[

etc

nah /etc/ doesn't have binaries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
nice