Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Combat Pretzel posted:

I want 4-5GB/s over my link. :haw:

I know I'm going to sound like a networking rear end in a top hat (we certainly are that) but network throughput is measured in bits per second, not bytes per second. Goodput however (the actual usable, application data payload) can be measured in bytes but people usually stick to bits per second. :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Furism posted:

I know I'm going to sound like a networking rear end in a top hat (we certainly are that) but network throughput is measured in bits per second, not bytes per second. Goodput however (the actual usable, application data payload) can be measured in bytes but people usually stick to bits per second. :science:

gently caress your bits. I want my bytes. Who the thinks about file sizes in terms of bits? Not me anyways.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

redeyes posted:

gently caress your bits. I want my bytes. Who the thinks about file sizes in terms of bits? Not me anyways.

File size != network throughput

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

redeyes posted:

You do realize I specified "network throughput" explicitly right? I never mentioned anything like file sizes. :shrug:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Eh, since drive throughput is measured in bytes, calling out network speeds in that context with the same unit is valid, IMO. Makes it easier to compare.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Network speeds are given out in bits. Using bytes for networks just muddies comparisons.

But if you're discussing file transfer speeds without specific concern for network speeds...

Okay, this is getting silly.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Combat Pretzel posted:

Eh, since drive throughput is measured in bytes, calling out network speeds in that context with the same unit is valid, IMO. Makes it easier to compare.

No, because you'll always need more bits per byte to transfer over a network because of all the protocols overhead so you're not comparing the same things. This is also why in networking you always commit to a bitrate, not a byte rate, because this way you measure/deliver the actual network speed (typically at the layer 2, Ethernet) and nothing else. Anyway, sorry for the digression. I just like bits.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I dunno what you guys are talking about. mIRC shows me the transfer speeds in characters per second, isn't that what everybody uses?

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
I'm considering switching from a FreeNAS box with Plex etc. to an actual rack server (like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/192287543518) with Windows Server 2016 so I can learn some more networking with VMs and have a little bit of transcoding power. I can get WS2016 Datacenter and Standard for free through my associated University. Is it worth using ESXi to primarily run Windows Server 2016, but dedicating a couple of cores and ~32 GB ECC RAM to a FreeNAS VM for storage so I can keep my ZFS datasets? Should I just switch over to something else? Am I thinking about this completely wrong?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What are you going to store your data on? Those R610s only have 6x 2.5" drive bays, and I'm guessing your current fileserver doesn't have 2.5" drives.

Also, those E5500 CPUs are old. Might actually have support issues running latest-version ESXi on it.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Greatest Living Man posted:

I'm considering switching from a FreeNAS box with Plex etc. to an actual rack server (like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/192287543518)
(...)
Am I thinking about this completely wrong?

If you have never heard a 1U rackmount server in person and you are planning to locate this in your residence, then yes, there is something very important you aren't accounting for. It can't be emphasized enough that rackmount gear is loud.

E: and 1U is typically the worst because the fans are tiny and spin at like 10K RPM to make up for it, and all the air is being forced through cramped spaces with lots of little sharp features that make great whistles. People who work in data centers full of this stuff legit need to wear hearing protection, but even one machine on its own can be pretty bad.

BobHoward fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 13, 2017

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Imagine 6 lovely hotel hair dryers turned on full blast and left on 24/7. Now imagine they get louder at random intervals.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I bought one once from eBay for $50. It was sitting in the basement. It was so loud, that during the night I could hear it from the second floor. After a week I had to turn it off. It is not sustainable unless you have proper room, and is far away from people.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Never tried them, but Noctua makes 1U size fans :v:

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

kloa posted:

Never tried them, but Noctua makes 1U size fans :v:

Delta also makes 1U fans

:smugmrgw:

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
If you are thinking of rackmounts for home use in any manner I would strongly suggest starting at 2U and larger exclusively. Otherwise, you can probably do 90%+ of the what you'd need for Cisco certs up to some intermediate point using just a couple tower machines that support VT-X which is basically everything on Intel and AMD in the past 5 years.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Just get a dozen old servers for your house. Here's this dude from Denmark upgrading some servers for the two full racks in his basement. His normal job is working on high end servers at a datacenter, this video is just about some hobby stuff at home.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_j0c695SIE

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I'm trying to export my ZFS pool so I can import it into another OS later on. But FreeBSD is giving me poo poo:

code:
 remontoire: ~# zpool export pool1
cannot unmount '/mnt/pool1/revelation': Device busy
I stopped all services but SSH and it still says the device is busy. I can't umount it either. How can I figure out what's making the pool busy?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Furism posted:

I'm trying to export my ZFS pool so I can import it into another OS later on. But FreeBSD is giving me poo poo:

code:
 remontoire: ~# zpool export pool1
cannot unmount '/mnt/pool1/revelation': Device busy
I stopped all services but SSH and it still says the device is busy. I can't umount it either. How can I figure out what's making the pool busy?

Try "zpool export -f pool1"

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I didn't want to force but ended up doing that. Still I'd like to understand how I could have done this more "gracefully."

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Rexxed posted:

Just get a dozen old servers for your house. Here's this dude from Denmark upgrading some servers for the two full racks in his basement. His normal job is working on high end servers at a datacenter, this video is just about some hobby stuff at home.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_j0c695SIE

drat, if power did not cost as much over here.........

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Denmark has pretty high electricity prices

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statis...f_2016_YB17.png

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Then he must be rich or have some sort of an agreement with the utility, otherwise the powerbill alone would send you to the poor house. :)

Cool toys though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A quick scan of his other videos shows he has solar panels and a battery system

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Furism posted:

I didn't want to force but ended up doing that. Still I'd like to understand how I could have done this more "gracefully."

Probably the lsof command. I know it works on Linux but haven't had reason to use it inside of a BSD box in forever.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Ok so I replaced NAS4Free/FreeBSD with CentOS. I managed to import and update the pool. I can browse the files after import as expected. Very pleased.

However, after a reboot the dataset isn't there. My pool is there (at /mnt/pool1) but none of the dataset inside. I did enable the zfs.target service. If import again it works fine.

Is there something I missed?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Did you import it with by-id set?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Yes, I imported by id ("zpool import -d /dev/disk/by-id pool1"). I even re-exported and imported from CentOS but still no luck.

Is there a log I can find somewhere? I couldn't find any.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Volguus posted:

I bought one once from eBay for $50. It was sitting in the basement. It was so loud, that during the night I could hear it from the second floor. After a week I had to turn it off. It is not sustainable unless you have proper room, and is far away from people.

Yeah, 1U stuff usually has much faster fans or uses squirrel cage style blowers.

2Us and 4Us are much quieter, or Tower servers are even quieter.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Furism posted:

Yes, I imported by id ("zpool import -d /dev/disk/by-id pool1"). I even re-exported and imported from CentOS but still no luck.

Is there a log I can find somewhere? I couldn't find any.

Did you run the recommended commands from the wiki?

code:
systemctl preset zfs-import-cache zfs-import-scan zfs-mount zfs-share zfs-zed zfs.target
also if it's a root mount, you might want to set:

code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rhgb quiet zfs_force=1"
to your /etc/default/grub file.

Then rebuild your grub as usual.

I've been pretty happy with using CentOS for my NAS. I considered doing the whole freebsd/etc route but figured I wanted to do too much with docker and then maybe even openvswitch to make that work.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, 1U stuff usually has much faster fans or uses squirrel cage style blowers.

2Us and 4Us are much quieter, or Tower servers are even quieter.

So I'd be better off with something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerE...9cAAOSwBp5ZsDdP
These ones have 8 2.5" drive bays but I might be able to find one with 6x 3.5" (the other config for R710). What's an option to mount 6 x 3.5" drives externally in a rack if I do get stuck with 2.5", or is it just not worth it?

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-R710-3-5-Virtualization-Server-2x-2-66GHz-X5550-32GB-iDRAC-/172795484780?hash=item283b69da6c

for a little more.

I'm looking at local listings for silent racks -- alternatively I can run it to the basement. Eventually I'd like to get a low VA rack UPS, unless it's considered immediately necessary. Most of these come with some sort of battery backup, right? I'm just going off of https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pedge/r710-spec-sheet.pdf

Greatest Living Man fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 17, 2017

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I've got a Lenovo TS440, highly recommended. It is quiet, has plenty of drive cages ( I installed 4 3,5 drives in the server bays and 4 2,5 SSD drives in a 5,25 caddy all hooked up to the Lenovo branded LSI SAS card) and it is power efficient.
Things that do suck, it goes to 32GB RAM and you need to buy the drive cages separately, I just Ebayed them from China. And you need to be careful of the one you get, I've got the 4/8HT 1245 Xeon with the SAS card which seems to be the best one you can find.

It idles at 30 Watts or something.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Then he must be rich or have some sort of an agreement with the utility, otherwise the powerbill alone would send you to the poor house. :)

Cool toys though.

I knew who was going to be in the video before I clicked it :negative:

He only turns it all on for videos, he's got like 1 "production" server that hosts a website or 2, but other than that it's all toys.

He's definitely a welcome change from Linus though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Do those WD EasyStore shuckable units go on sale at Best Buy once a month or at any other sort of regular pace?

All of a sudden I need to upgrade my storage...I'll wait a week or two if there's a good chance they'll be on sale again, otherwise I'll just buy something now.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I believe WD were having retailers get rid of old stock of EasyStores as WD just launched a new version (which obviously is not on sale).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Thermopyle posted:

Do those WD EasyStore shuckable units go on sale at Best Buy once a month or at any other sort of regular pace?

All of a sudden I need to upgrade my storage...I'll wait a week or two if there's a good chance they'll be on sale again, otherwise I'll just buy something now.

I've been keeping my eye on them, it seems about once or twice a month.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

admiraldennis posted:

Bought 9x WD easystore 8TB external drives at Best Buy for $169.99/ea + tax during this week's sale.

treasure inside!

- From research, there seem to be at least three drives currently possible:

1) WD80EFAX - WD Red 8TB label, 256MB cache, made in Thailand
2) WD80EFZX - WD Red 8TB label, 128MB cache, made in China
3) WD80EMAZ - White label, 256MB cache, made in Thailand

Woop, I got in on this last week and did my 4-bay Synology - Took a bit of time to rebuild the RAID and reshape for the new free space on disks 3 and 4, but all good to go now!

Turns out I got four of the good Thailand 256MB cache WD Reds:

Was juuuuuuust a tad bit tight before out of 10.82 (? iirc?) free, now a bit of breathing room and a new partition on top since the 32bit CPU on this DS416j limits to 16TB max paritions:

Overall much better though - Thanks a ton for the WD Red / Best Buy info!

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues

Sniep posted:

Woop, I got in on this last week and did my 4-bay Synology - Took a bit of time to rebuild the RAID and reshape for the new free space on disks 3 and 4, but all good to go now!

Turns out I got four of the good Thailand 256MB cache WD Reds:

Was juuuuuuust a tad bit tight before out of 10.82 (? iirc?) free, now a bit of breathing room and a new partition on top since the 32bit CPU on this DS416j limits to 16TB max paritions:

Overall much better though - Thanks a ton for the WD Red / Best Buy info!

Nice! Glad you were able to take advantage of it.

One thing I've learned since that post:

The white label drives seem to have an important difference that I didn't notice at first: they don't spin up when plugged directly into PSUs. But - they work fine via Molex->SATA converters. I found this out when I was doing final cabling for my build; my single white label didn't spin up; I googled around and others have seen this too. Perhaps they detect the presence of the 3.3v pin and prevent themselves from spinning up as anti-shucking protection.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Greatest Living Man posted:

So I'd be better off with something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerE...9cAAOSwBp5ZsDdP
These ones have 8 2.5" drive bays but I might be able to find one with 6x 3.5" (the other config for R710). What's an option to mount 6 x 3.5" drives externally in a rack if I do get stuck with 2.5", or is it just not worth it?

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-R710-3-5-Virtualization-Server-2x-2-66GHz-X5550-32GB-iDRAC-/172795484780?hash=item283b69da6c

for a little more.

I'm looking at local listings for silent racks -- alternatively I can run it to the basement. Eventually I'd like to get a low VA rack UPS, unless it's considered immediately necessary. Most of these come with some sort of battery backup, right? I'm just going off of https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pedge/r710-spec-sheet.pdf

I use an R710, and while the fans are loud, they are quiet enough you can put it somewhere and its not obnoxious.

Look for a T series PowerEdge like a T610

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Sep 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

CommieGIR posted:

I use an R710, and while the fans are loud, they are quiet enough you can put it somewhere and its not obnoxious.

Look for a T series PowerEdge like a T610

T just being a tower version?