Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
"You gotta watch episodes 7 and 8 in unison and the culprit will be revealed!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Escobarbarian posted:

"You gotta watch episodes 7 and 8 in unison and the culprit will be revealed!"

Oh god, if you watch the main titles every image is relevant to the case except the statue!

What about the statue, guys?

It's all coming together

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

drat. So good, on so many levels.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Somebody make a thread for American Vandal. I would, but I wouldn't know where to start; this show really is everything.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DivisionPost posted:

Somebody make a thread for American Vandal. I would, but I wouldn't know where to start; this show really is everything.

I'm on it.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Probably gonna give American Vandal a try today. Will I lose anything by not having seen most of the true crime type shows it’s parodying? I’ve seen The Jinx and that’s about it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Just finished Fleabag S1. Wow, this is an amazing show with alot of feels. Definite recommend, its hilarious and meaningful and all kinds of things.

With Fleabag, The Tick, and Patriot, Amazon is the best streaming service right now. Hope their supposed changes to get a GOT like success doesn't ruin it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Probably gonna give American Vandal a try today. Will I lose anything by not having seen most of the true crime type shows it’s parodying? I’ve seen The Jinx and that’s about it.

I've seen one episode of The Jinx, none of Making a Murderer. I still loving loved it.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I was going to make a thread for it but didn't really know how to do it, considering it would have to be a post season discussuon type of deal.

Either way you won't miss out if you haven't seen ither true crime docos or anything, maybe just appreciation for some of the aspects of those other shows and how they present information.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
American Vandal thread is up

(Mods please change the tag, I forgot to put one)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

I've not seen any of The Jinx or Making a Murderer and it worked for me. But I did listen to Serial, which helped a bit.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

It's more like Serial than anything else. The narrator is channeling Sarah Koenig throughout, and some scenes are basically straight up parodies of things that happened in Serial.

You definitely don't have to have seen/listened to any of those shows to enjoy it though.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I think Making a Murderer is the primary one they parody, but just seeing The Jinx works.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

OldSenileGuy posted:

The thing about American Vandal is not just only a parody, it is also great show. If I'd compare it to any shows in tone it'd probably be Nathan For You* and Review.

*this particular comparison is shamelessly stolen from couch chat visionary Precision.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 17, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Junkenstein posted:

It's more like Serial than anything else. The narrator is channeling Sarah Koenig throughout, and some scenes are basically straight up parodies of things that happened in Serial.

You definitely don't have to have seen/listened to any of those shows to enjoy it though.

Does the host start crushing hard on the subject? Because that was the funniest part of Serial to me, and to a lesser extent the way the host of its spinoff S-Town kept treating some insane rear end in a top hat hick with a reverence he really didn't deserve.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Suspect is more Making a Murderer guy where even if you think he's innocent he's not someone you can genuinely fan over.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

There is no bridge Peter won't burn for his precious documentary.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

Does the host start crushing hard on the subject? Because that was the funniest part of Serial to me

uhhhhhh

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MiddleOne posted:

The thing about American Vandal is not just only a parody, it is also great show. If I'd compare it to any shows in tone it'd probably be Nathan For You and Review.

AHEM

precision posted:

American Vandal is on the level of like Nathan For You and Comrade Detective. It's so good and I'm only 3 episodes in.

:colbert:

I'm about to start episode 7. Oh my God I had no idea it would go so far with this.

e: the Wayback Boys rule I would have a breakfast burrito and blunt with them any day

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I amended my post. :v:

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Speaking of Nathan for you. Season 4 starts on the 28th. I'm really hyped and will be watching the old episodes again over the next 2 weeks. There is so much gold in there.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Also Nathan’s premier is an hour long revisit to see how people from the shows first few seasons are doing, and the finale is a 2 hour thing. Exciting times.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pilot for ABC sitcom "The Mayor" is online and it's pretty promising. Rushed as hell but the characters are fun and it has Lea Michele and Yvette Nicole Brown.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I bought one of the Holocaust jackets from Nathan For You and it's my favorite ever.

http://www.summiticeapparel.com/jackets

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I live in Florida, so he needs to release a line of holocaust awareness sandals or a cooler bag to get my sweet cash.

E: or a hurricane shelter, perhaps.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The latest Half and Catch Fire has a fairly dramatic/cathartic moment where someone is playing a video game and solves a puzzle and it actually works and isn't played for laughs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I am so puzzled at all the praise the Orville is getting.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rhyno posted:

:same:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The second episode made me laugh a bunch.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Regy Rusty posted:

The second episode made me laugh a bunch.

Seth's acting is so bad it makes the show very difficult to watch.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

He's not my favorite but he doesn't bother me and I like most of the rest of the cast a lot.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

First episode was bad but the second one was real good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Niwrad posted:

First episode was bad but the second one was real good.

I had to bail out at the 10 minute mark. I guess I'm not in such a deep need of Trek as others.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Rhyno posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna agree with the critics here.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Rhyno posted:

It's a puzzling show. Basically it's methadone.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Donald Glover got two Emmys for Atlanta!!!!! Life is good!!!!!

Handmaid's Tale though, REALLY? ah well Glover yay!!!!!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/the-vietnam-war/watch/episode-1/

Yo, the first episode of Ken Burns' PBS Vietnam War documentary is available to stream. It might all be. I don't know. But I'm watching the first episode now at least.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Escobarbarian posted:

Donald Glover got two Emmys for Atlanta!!!!! Life is good!!!!!

Handmaid's Tale though, REALLY? ah well Glover yay!!!!!

he got snubbed for best comedy though

and how about them big little lies???

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Veep didn't deserve Best Comedy for easily its worst season yet but it's a juggernaut so that didn't surprise me. I would have preferred a few other things won Miniseries awards than Big Little Lies basically sweeping it, but it was a good-rear end show so I don't mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/the-vietnam-war/watch/episode-1/

Yo, the first episode of Ken Burns' PBS Vietnam War documentary is available to stream. It might all be. I don't know. But I'm watching the first episode now at least.

The only Ken Burns documentary I've watched was Jazz which I did not like because he relied almost entirely on one set of experts (Albert Murray, Stanley Crouch, Wynton Marsalis) who have a very narrow, very conservative idea of what jazz music is and push that agenda throughout the series.

Are his other ones better?

• Locked thread