Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

Donald Glover got two Emmys for Atlanta!!!!! Life is good!!!!!

And Hulu just added season 1, so anyone who hasn't watched it yet really should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What were the big snubs and surprises of the ceremony this year, then?

Immediate rumour mill seems to suggest that Feud might have been snubbed because it got into that trouble with Olivia de Havilland.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Westworld and Stranger Things didn't win any major awards. Same with Fargo, and Feud like you mentioned.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I probably would've nominated Legion over any of those in directing. Maybe Aubrey Plaza as supporting. Not that it's a surprise it was snubbed.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Wheat Loaf posted:

What were the big snubs and surprises of the ceremony this year, then?

Immediate rumour mill seems to suggest that Feud might have been snubbed because it got into that trouble with Olivia de Havilland.

I don't think Emmy voters would give a poo poo about that. Besides, if anyone has a case to be grieved it's the family of Robert Aldrich seeing as they really gently caress him over.

The stuff that deserves to win rarely wins. Like THE HANDMAID'S TALE, which got worse as it went on despite starting out great.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There never seems to be a middle ground when something gets nominated for everything. You either when them all or you go home empty-handed or near enough. Westworld this time but see also stuff like Benjamin Button from a few years ago at the Oscars.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is Better Call Saul worth catching up on if I wasn't enamored with season 1?

Same question for Preacher.

edit: v Cool, guess I'll catch up on 3 seasons of Halt and Catch Fire instead.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Sep 18, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Preacher has more happen in S2 and a somewhat quicker pace, and a little more freaky biblical/supernatural stuff going on... but its basically the same show it was in S1 so if you didn't like it I don't imagine it will change dramatically for you. I imagine you're more likely to watch a couple of episodes and get excited and then get annoyed when it slows down again.

I haven't seen the most recent season of Better Call Saul which people have told me is the best, but S2 is pretty much the same show as S1 and if you're not invested in the characters and interpersonal drama, that's what the show is.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Oh cool, Black Mirror: San Junipero won for best TV movie :3:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Preacher season 2 is even worse and more disappointing than the first. I seriously can't express my frustration with the show enough.

Season 1 is the worst Better Call Saul season but I'd have to know what you didn't like about it to know whether or not to recommend 2/3. They double down on the slow character work which is amazing, but the Mike stuff gets duller and more pointless.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Josh Lyman posted:

Same question for Preacher

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Preacher is the most disappointing show on TV easy

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't hate S2 of Preacher or anything but I definitely liked it less than S1. I still more or less enjoyed it because that freaky little world and characters just have my attention, but I admit I wouldn't be sad if there was no S3. And I could see myself losing interest at any time.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Wheat Loaf posted:

The only Ken Burns documentary I've watched was Jazz which I did not like because he relied almost entirely on one set of experts (Albert Murray, Stanley Crouch, Wynton Marsalis) who have a very narrow, very conservative idea of what jazz music is and push that agenda throughout the series.

Are his other ones better?
Baseball and Civil War are IMO the best non-Planet Earth documentary series ever made. The only mark against Baseball for me is the 10th Inning which came out in 2009 and hilariously gives like 99% of its screentime to the Red Sox and Yankees.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Finished up the last season of Gotham last night, man what a goofy rear end show. I'm so glad that the glut of superhero movies we have these days allows something like this to exist.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

After Hulu cleaning up at the Emmys the way it did last night, I imagine there were some chairs being thrown at Netflix's offices this morning.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I really should finish the Handmaid's Tale at some point. I think I fell off after the episode about the husband so I was almost done?

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Timby posted:

After Hulu cleaning up at the Emmys the way it did last night, I imagine there were some chairs being thrown at Netflix's offices this morning.

Netflix needs more stuff with minorities and women. That'll bring in the Emmys for the next 4 years ar least.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
It's still a crime that The Leftovers was totally ignored. Easily the best show this year.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Netflix just need to make better shows that aren't 8 episodes stretched out to 13. I wasn't that hot on STRANGER THINGS, but I'm glad the creators knew how many episodes were enough.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

DrVenkman posted:

Netflix just need to make better shows that aren't 8 episodes stretched out to 13. I wasn't that hot on STRANGER THINGS, but I'm glad the creators knew how many episodes were enough.

Stop loving saying this

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

spudsbuckley posted:

Netflix needs more stuff with minorities and women. That'll bring in the Emmys for the next 4 years ar least.

Digitally replace that other guy with Trump in Jessica Jones and watch the awards roll in.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IRQ posted:

I really should finish the Handmaid's Tale at some point. I think I fell off after the episode about the husband so I was almost done?

I haven't been able to hang with seriously depressing shows lately. I still haven't finished the Leftovers. I got to the one ep where Carrie Coon and Regina King have that huge fight in s2 and I was just like, this is too heavy.

E: bad news for the Orville haters, it scored a 2.6 in the demo, which was what it scored last week before it was adjusted up .2. And that's with an hour + delay due to the NFL game overrun.

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 18, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

zoux posted:

I haven't been able to hang with seriously depressing shows lately. I still haven't finished the Leftovers. I got to the one ep where Carrie Coon and Regina King have that huge fight in s2 and I was just like, this is too heavy.

E: bad news for the Orville haters, it scored a 2.6 in the demo, which was what it scored last week before it was adjusted up .2. And that's with an hour + delay due to the NFL game overrun.
You must finish watching The Leftovers, even if and especially if you're clinically depressed.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Escobarbarian posted:

Donald Glover got two Emmys for Atlanta!!!!! Life is good!!!!!

Handmaid's Tale though, REALLY? ah well Glover yay!!!!!

The Handmaid's Tale I thought deserved it, but overall I didn't find the nominees that impressive (House of Cards? Urg. Westworld? I like, but it has lots of quality issues). The Crown and Better Call Saul are the only other shows on the list that I thought deserved to be there.

That said super happy for Glover, but Veep shouldn't of beaten Atlanta or Master of None for best comedy. Also happy for Moss, but too bad Carry Coon was nominated for The Leftovers.

Escobarbarian posted:

Preacher season 2 is even worse and more disappointing than the first. I seriously can't express my frustration with the show enough.

What makes Preacher season 2 worse is how great it starts out. The first couple of episodes is the show at its peak, but once they got to NOLA the show did nothing but frustration. Also what a lame finale.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

spudsbuckley posted:

You mean like Dear White People, which was completely shut out of the nominations?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

less laughter posted:

You mean like Dear White People, which was completely shut out of the nominations?

Dear White People was also really good and really funny.

San Junipero was neat, but I don't think it should have won anything.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lena Waithe won for best comedy writing for Master of None.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that was sick

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Arist posted:

Stop loving saying this

Nah, it's like your batsignal.

Whatever the reason, Netflix shows have pacing issues and, at the very least, every Marvel show has run into the same problem. Even JESSICA JONES, which I liked a lot, stumbles while it spins it's wheels.

13 REASONS WHY runs into repetition issues the more it goes on until it gets to the end. I don't watch HOUSE OF CARDS so I can't say if it's the same for them.

So, either the writers need to get better at writing for binge watchers, or Netflix (or whoever is making them) need to experiment more.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
This isn't to undersell the issues that many Netflix shows seem to have, but it feels like it's worth pointing out that Hulu is jointly owned by traditional media companies and Netflix...isn't.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

DrVenkman posted:

Whatever the reason, Netflix shows have pacing issues and, at the very least, every Marvel show has run into the same problem. Even JESSICA JONES, which I liked a lot, stumbles while it spins it's wheels.

13 REASONS WHY runs into repetition issues the more it goes on until it gets to the end.

Narcos season 3 ran into these same issues as well. It doesn't respect the viewer's time at all. And don't forget the ur-example of this: Bloodline season 1.

Preacher is still worse than any Netflix show in this regard, however. That show's pacing is downright infuriating at times.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

I was reading an article over the weekend that said Orville is Fox's biggest series launch, in terms of viewership, since Empire.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I didn't dislike The Orville, but I'm not sure if I like it either, I'm very confused

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Timby posted:

I was reading an article over the weekend that said Orville is Fox's biggest series launch, in terms of viewership, since Empire.

I'm rooting for it though I probably won't watch it until the season is over and it turns out to be alright.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Netflix has a lot of good shows, it just doesn't really have great shows. Maybe The Crown fits in that mold but their next biggest prestige drama is House of Cards which is complete garbage now. They still won a bunch of awards and were nominated for a bunch more.

My problem with some of the awards is shows that have 20 episodes are competing with shows that have 8. Veep is nice and all but if they had to put out as many episodes as Blackish, would it still be good? Maybe the category should be split into short and long season.

Also I'd be fine with a "Dramedy" category. Transparent, Master of None shouldn't be competing with Veep. Different kinds of shows.

Niwrad fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 18, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Iron Crowned posted:

I didn't dislike The Orville, but I'm not sure if I like it either, I'm very confused

It's like watching a bad Mel Brooks movie.

Like if you showed an alien robot Spaceballs and season one of TNG and asked it to make a tv show.

I don't hate it either though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I didn't hate Orville. I was just completely and totally bored and couldn't find a reason to keep watching.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Niwrad posted:

Netflix has a lot of good shows, it just doesn't really have great shows. Maybe The Crown fits in that mold

Nah. The Crown is endlessly pondering and completely horribly paced. It's very, very pretty to look at (in terms of production values, it really is great, despite some unfortunately obvious green-screening that sticks out like a broken thumb), and Lithgow's performance has been justifiably praised, but in terms of storytelling, it's awful. I still can't believe they dedicated an entire hourlong episode to the Great Smog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Niwrad posted:

My problem with some of the awards is shows that have 20 episodes are competing with shows that have 8. Veep is nice and all but if they had to put out as many episodes as Blackish, would it still be good? Maybe the category should be split into short and long season.

Due to the way TV has changed, awards shows are even more broken and pointless than they've ever been.

And the only episode of Black-ish I watched in the last 2 years was essentially a half hour commercial for Disney World, so the fact it was even nominated is hilarious.

• Locked thread