Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

I talked myself into dangling a late round pick for Tavon Austin yesterday. NFL trades are a pretty drat low bar.

Pull Austin Collie out of mothballs. He could probably survive a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

No Butt Stuff posted:

Stealing D-Linemen like Chris Jones in the draft is something I'm really going to miss about Dorsey.

https://twitter.com/BaldyNFL/status/909783643861798912

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The NFL has been more boring than usual this season, but I am absolutely down with the return of the crusty sportswriters lecturing Dallas Cowboys.

quote:

It’s one thing to be frustrated. It’s another thing to quit. Elliott is a good football player who quit on a play. Don’t sugarcoat it. He quit on a play in the middle of a game that was still a game. And he should not be allowed to get away with it.

Nov 6, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

they just need bodies at this point.

Benjamin's counts at least for 1½ bodies.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

fsif posted:

The NFL has been more boring than usual this season, but I am absolutely down with the return of the crusty sportswriters lecturing Dallas Cowboys.

It's not ideal, and Elliott def looked shameful as gently caress on that INT, but I *may* be OK with star QBs/RBs/WRs not chasing down DBs for the tackle. Seems like a real high chance of injury

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mike Tanier's roundup covered some of the ugly as hell sequences yesterday, and it's good: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2733708-monday-morning-digest-broncos-patriots-on-the-bright-side-of-awful-week-2

quote:

Cardinals at Colts, Fourth Quarter/Overtime

* A late-game sack and holding penalty force the Colts to punt from deep in their own territory, giving the Cardinals the ball near midfield with 25 seconds left
* Carson Palmer hits Jaron Brown on a short cross. The Colts defense lets Brown reach the sideline and tightrope-scamper for 20 yards, preserving the final Cardinals timeout
* The Colts get caught with 12 men on the field while Palmer kneels to position the kicker—only Chuck Pagano's defense can get confused by a kneeling opponent—giving the Cardinals even better field position
* Phil Dawson (pictured) misses the 42-yard field goal, forcing overtime.
* The Colts get the ball, but Jacoby Brissett’s first pass of overtime is jumped by Tyrann Mathieu for an interception
* The Cardinals inexplicably run three plays to three different running backs before letting Dawson win the game

49ers at Seahawks, Third Quarter

* The entire quarter was a travesty. The final tally: zero points, six punts, seven penalties, 20 offensive plays that netted three yards or less, including two sacks.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's not ideal, and Elliott def looked shameful as gently caress on that INT, but I *may* be OK with star QBs/RBs/WRs not chasing down DBs for the tackle. Seems like a real high chance of injury

Jerry Rice never took plays off. :colbert:

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Randaconda posted:

Jerry Rice never took plays off. :colbert:

Sure, whatever. I'm thinking about times like when Dalton hurt himself tackling Stephen Tuitt and the Bengals had to trot out McCarron

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

TheChirurgeon posted:

And then you have Jameis chasing down a defender and trying to rip the ball out after Charles Sims fumbled yesterday. Some guys can't turn it off, some guys don't give a gently caress.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

yeah jameis never knows when to stop.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I can excuse a dude for not chasing after someone after an interception down 18 with less than 2 minutes left in the game.

To win at that point they needed to score on that play, get 2 points, get an onside, score in 2-3 plays, kick the PAT or go for two if you missed the first (and play for OT) and then get another onside and get into field goal range in 1-2 plays all with no timeouts.

The game was over.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Yeah. I say "may" because circumstances matter a lot on that too. Not going all out in the playoffs is different from not going all out in a blowout loss during the regular season

I dunno. I'm on the fence. There are times when I want guys chasing down the returner, and times when the risk isn't worth it. Like I don't really want to see Dak trying to tackle a linebacker unless the season is on the line

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FizFashizzle posted:

yeah jameis never knows when to stop.

:negative:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I don't think Zeke is able to chase down Talib anyways. He's running the wrong way with a full head of steam, and it's not like Aqib Talib is known for being slow.

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

Mike Tanier's roundup covered some of the ugly as hell sequences yesterday, and it's good: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2733708-monday-morning-digest-broncos-patriots-on-the-bright-side-of-awful-week-2

He didn't mention the weirdness that happened at the end of the Chargers/Dolphins game. The Chargers and Dolphins totally hosed up the sequence at the end of the game. Rivers got the ball to the Miami 35, and then took a timeout, with 19 seconds left in the game. Then, they had Rivers run a play to recenter the ball. With the clock ticking the Chargers moved with zero urgency to get the kicking unit into the field. As the clock ticked down to 10 it looked like they would be probably boned... and then Miami took a timeout! Why???

Of course then they missed the kick anyway.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't think Zeke is able to chase down Talib anyways. He's running the wrong way with a full head of steam, and it's not like Aqib Talib is known for being slow.

Talib's 31. Zeke could have caught him over the course of 100 yards

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chir, or somebody was talking about how mismatched the Cowboys' secondary was yesterday

You weren't kidding:

https://twitter.com/Cianaf/status/909795775416213504

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Kalli posted:

Chir, or somebody was talking about how mismatched the Cowboys' secondary was yesterday

You weren't kidding:

https://twitter.com/Cianaf/status/909795775416213504

Yeah, it was pretty dire.

Scandrick and Hitchens were both inactive coming into the game, then injuries to Awuzie and Carroll left the team with only two healthy cornerbacks on the roster, Anthony Brown and rookie Jourdan Lewis. Benwikere is also on the roster, but wasn't active because the Cowboys chose to bring an extra receiver (Terrell WIlliams had an ankle injury last week, so they wanted a back-up there). This was a dumb move, even without the benefit of hindsight.

The Cowboys moved Xavier Woods from Safety into the nickel corner spot and collectively the unit spent all game missing tackles and being out of position. The unit may be OK at full health, but the Cowboys have almost no depth on defense this year.

Nov 6, 2002

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Does the TB Times publish anything after losses?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Brady looks like he has no time for these shenanigans

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Intruder posted:

Brady looks like he has no time for these shenanigans

he looks like he doesn't have a foot fetish

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TheChirurgeon posted:

Talib's 31. Zeke could have caught him over the course of 100 yards

I was mistaken anyways. I was thinking people gave him poo poo about not chasing on the final interception, but it was one in the 3rd instead where the guy ran right in front of him. He absolutely could have helped on that.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Mr. Nice! posted:

I was mistaken anyways. I was thinking people gave him poo poo about not chasing on the final interception, but it was one in the 3rd instead where the guy ran right in front of him. He absolutely could have helped on that.

Yeah, he could have caught him there too and the game hadn't gotten away from the Cowboys at that point

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Mike Tanier posted:

Tom Brady threw for 447 yards and three touchdowns, despite the fact that many of his passes had a trajectory and velocity somewhere between a softball slow pitch and a baby hook shot from the high post.

That pillowy soft thing he just sort of wafted up into the stratosphere to draw the 12 men on the field penalty was legitimately hilarious, but otherwise this seems like a really odd time for Mike to bust the BRADY IS OLD FOR REAL THIS TIME!!111! Hot Take.

:patssay:

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Mr. Nice! posted:

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah, he could have caught him there too and the game hadn't gotten away from the Cowboys at that point
Here's the play in question

https://twitter.com/JDue51/status/9...%26autosize%3D1

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Tony Romo is a really good announcer week 2 edition:

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/9094...ners-and-losers

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kalli posted:

Tony Romo is a really good announcer week 2 edition:

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/9094...ners-and-losers

Tony spoiling plays before they happen is going to be so fun to watch.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
My favorite was when Tony called out that the Pats were uncharacteristically calling red zone blitzes late in the game to throw off rz blitz % numbers for opposing scouts and it rules

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/909807900876509184

Eifert is going to be broken down before he even gets his first big contract

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Blitz7x posted:

My favorite was when Tony called out that the Pats were uncharacteristically calling red zone blitzes late in the game to throw off rz blitz % numbers for opposing scouts and it rules

Also when he laughed at when the Saints were playing way off coverage on a fullback split out wide. THIS GUY RAN LIKE A FIVE OH FORTY WHAT ARE YOU DOING GUYS?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MRI confirms Browns' Corey Coleman broke his hand

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Apart from the 7 or so margaritas I downed the only high point of yesterday was realizing that Romo is pretty good at this announcing thing.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Blitz7x posted:

Yeah that was fantastic. I wish Romo could call every game.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

If romo can spot that you gotta think everyone else does too.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

FizFashizzle posted:

If romo can spot that you gotta think everyone else does too.

Even if a team can spot it, they still have to put in the work to weed it out of their scouting. Teams have to deal with finite time and resources every week

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
https://twitter.com/WALLACHLEGAL/status/909818454005428224

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Oh yeah I just meant at this point you gotta think no one trusts a thing the patriots do.

Someone should try to get tony drunk before a game just to see what he says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Anyone post this yet?

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/909817893826768896

I can't believe they had to put out a missing persons report on him.

• Locked thread