Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Grittybeard posted:

The man owes his reputation entirely to Tom Brady and Matt McGloin.

That's such an amazing sentence to type out, but it still seems to be true.

And Tom Brady told him to go gently caress himself on live TV!

I mean, is BOB really a bigger rear end in a top hat than Josh McDaniels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'll have my first update after Week 2 but Bovada odds are up

code:
First NFL coach to be fired in the 2017 season

Chuck Pagano 2/3
Marvin Lewis 10/1
Todd Bowles 12/1
John Fox 12/1
Ben McAdoo 12/1
Jim Caldwell 14/1
Hue Jackson 14/1
Bill O'Brien 14/1
Mike Mularkey 18/1
Adam Gase 28/1
Jay Gruden 28/1
Sean McDermott 28/1
Sean Payton 28/1
Doug Pederson 28/1
Ron Rivera 28/1
Bruce Arians 40/1
Jason Garrett 40/1
Doug Marrone 40/1
Dan Quinn 50/1
Mike Zimmer 50/1
Dirk Koetter 66/1
Kyle Shanahan 66/1
Anthony Lynn 75/1
Pete Carroll 100/1
Jack Del Rio 100/1
John Harbaugh 100/1
Vance Joseph 100/1
Mike McCarthy 100/1
Sean McVay 100/1
Andy Reid 100/1
Mike Tomlin 100/1
Bill Belichick 500/1
I know McAdoo is kind of a goober but those odds seem high to me. Is he in any danger that I'm not aware of?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The thing I have about Pagano launching into the sun is who would replace him? Obviously an assistance coach.

My god, it is only week 1. Oh well, always next year.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
McAdoo sucks but the Giants aren't gonna move on from him even if they flopped hard. It's just not their style - they're like the Steelers in that when they commit to a coach, they commit long term and give 'em the opportunity to succeed without breathing down their necks. I don't think they've dumped a coach that quickly since what, Ray Handley?

Colostomy Bag posted:

The thing I have about Pagano launching into the sun is who would replace him? Obviously an assistance coach.

My god, it is only week 1. Oh well, always next year.

Chud. I'm not even being ironic with it

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Chud deserves a second chance. Banner did him dirty.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

Would Marrone being an actual good coach be a bigger surprise than Mularkey?

My guess is that he's a mediocre coach and a huge rear end in a top hat. Since mediocre is such an improvement for the Jags they'll put up with rear end in a top hat for far longer than they should.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Simplex posted:

My guess is that he's a mediocre coach and a huge rear end in a top hat. Since mediocre is such an improvement for the Jags they'll put up with rear end in a top hat for far longer than they should.
Marrone definitely seems to be an rear end in a top hat, but he generally assembles good staffs(outside of Hackett) and seems to do an excellent job of motivating his players and even seems reasonably flexible scheme-wise.
The big pitfall is that he's conservative as all hell and his/Hackett's play-calling is uninspired. Fortunately, that's probably much less of a bad thing when your quarterback is literally Blake Bortles.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Marrone is also willingly Coughlin's mouthpiece. They have worked together before and have similar attitudes.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Every time a team fires a friendly "player's coach" they immediately go the other direction with some humorless jackass to "run a tight ship." Then when that guy inevitably fails it's back to a nice guy who "likes to keep things loose" and "my door is always open."

The Jags pivoting from Gus "we learned a lot out there today" Bradley to noted sourpusses Marrone and Coughlin was pretty drat predictable.

Benne fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 14, 2017

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Benne posted:

I know McAdoo is kind of a goober but those odds seem high to me. Is he in any danger that I'm not aware of?

I think the McAdoo odds are a function of the New York media. Shitloads of gamblers listening to obscene amounts of bad press coming off a bad week 1 loss. If all the money is going to McAdoo they'll adjust the odds down.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Benne posted:

I'll have my first update after Week 2 but Bovada odds are up

code:
First NFL coach to be fired in the 2017 season

Chuck Pagano 2/3
Marvin Lewis 10/1
Todd Bowles 12/1
John Fox 12/1
Ben McAdoo 12/1
Jim Caldwell 14/1
Hue Jackson 14/1
Bill O'Brien 14/1
Mike Mularkey 18/1
Adam Gase 28/1
Jay Gruden 28/1
Sean McDermott 28/1
Sean Payton 28/1
Doug Pederson 28/1
Ron Rivera 28/1
Bruce Arians 40/1
Jason Garrett 40/1
Doug Marrone 40/1
Dan Quinn 50/1
Mike Zimmer 50/1
Dirk Koetter 66/1
Kyle Shanahan 66/1
Anthony Lynn 75/1
Pete Carroll 100/1
Jack Del Rio 100/1
John Harbaugh 100/1
Vance Joseph 100/1
Mike McCarthy 100/1
Sean McVay 100/1
Andy Reid 100/1
Mike Tomlin 100/1
Bill Belichick 500/1

I don't believe so, but with how the team did sans Odell, there's clearly trouble and getting rid of Coughlin clearly didn't fix it. I'm not saying they will or should move on right now from him, or from Eli (36, contract up in '20), but a backup plan needs to be made somewhere and I think if at least an attempt isn't made at getting a younger QB, ideally in the next draft, it's a missed opportunity that'll cost him

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Benne posted:

Every time a team fires a friendly "player's coach" they immediately go the other direction with some humorless jackass to "run a tight ship." Then when that guy inevitably fails it's back to a nice guy who "likes to keep things loose" and "my door is always open."

The Jags pivoting from Gus "we learned a lot out there today" Bradley to noted sourpusses Marrone and Coughlin was pretty drat predictable.

Kubiak to O'Brien you say?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Benne posted:

Gus was also the absolute worst HC in the history of the league.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
McAdoo is pretty much a middle of the road coach, as far as I can tell. He's not going to hurt or help your record, it basically just depends on the personnel, and guess what! The o-line sucks rear end and Eli looks cooked.

If anybody gets fired on the giants it should probably be Reese but besides his unwavering dedication to a rigid system of positional value he's a pretty decent GM. I don't love him but I'd still give him a shot at the rebuild.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Of course, but he was also "the nice guy," so Jax going to the drill sergeant wannabe more or less proves my theory.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Haha, you ain't kidding.

https://twitter.com/MichaelDavSmith...d-of-modern-nfl

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
12-1 seems generous to Fox. If the Bears lose to TB and Cutler goes wild in his debut this week, there are going to be a lot of questions floating around Halas Hall.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Eh, i think its fair. The Bears have never fired a coach midseason, and I don't see them starting with Fox. My gut tells me someone *cough*Pagano*cough* is gone midseason though.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Yeah Fox is going to get all season to fail to develop Mitch. it's idiotic but that's the McCaskey way

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I take back everything I said, time to send Marvin to a nice farm upstate.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I take back everything I said, Hue shouldn't be fired because he's about to take the Browns to third place in the division for the first time since 2010

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Durandal1707 posted:

Chud. I'm not even being ironic with it

It would be him or Philbin. But neither one would be hired full time after the season.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Chris James 2 posted:

I take back everything I said, Hue shouldn't be fired because he's about to take the Browns to third place in the division for the first time since 2010

And if he does get fired he'll waltz into the Bengals HC job.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Took only two games for our first sacrificial lamb of the season

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/908756172617940992

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ouch.

I think Pagano will be safe through the year if he can remember the name of the team he just played.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Ouch.

I think Pagano will be safe through the year if he can remember the name of the team he just played.

Honestly he's probably safe for the year regardless just because I don't think Ballard has much interest in Chud or Philbin as HC, and those would be the guys getting the interim audition spot.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
John Fox should be upgraded to red hot

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

Mike Shula should be upgraded to red hot

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Bowles' defense is pathetic. He should be gone after the season.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Shangri-Law School posted:

I feel like Arians might retire after this year.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I was holding off on stronger takes in the OP just to see if some warm-seat coaches might help their stock the first two weeks, and ... man, it could be a bloodbath this year.

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

mcmagic posted:

Bowles' defense is pathetic. He should be gone after the season.

Are there any good players on his defense? Hard to make something when all you're handed is poo poo.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Yug posted:

Are there any good players on his defense? Hard to make something when all you're handed is poo poo.

Leonard Williams is pretty good

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Yug posted:

The younger safeties aren't bad IIRC, as well as some choice pieces on the D line

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Isn't Lee pretty decent at LB?

They don't seem to have any corners and of course Oakland will pile up nearly 50 in that situation.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Jets' front seven was supposed to be their big strength, but that all hinged on Sheldon Richardson anchoring the middle of the line. Then they traded him for a song, and ... well, you saw what the Raiders did.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Williams and especially Wilkerson are really good, plus their safeties are young and have a lot of potential. That's pretty much the only thing the Jets D has going for it otherwise - everybody knew they were gonna get lit up this year even before Richardson was traded to Seattle.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Darron Lee is actually pretty awful. Adams and Maye look awesome though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Yug posted:

The DL and Secondary are both filled with high picks and good players. There is no excuse for the defense to be as bad as it has been so far.

Diva Cupcake posted:

Darron Lee is actually pretty awful. Adams and Maye look awesome though.

Lee can't play LB. He gets destroyed at the LOS consistently. What a horrible pick. He's a worse safety than Maye or Adams.

Benne posted:

The Jets' front seven was supposed to be their big strength, but that all hinged on Sheldon Richardson anchoring the middle of the line. Then they traded him for a song, and ... well, you saw what the Raiders did.

Williams is the best player on that line, not Sheldon and they actually got a nice return for him in Kearse and a 2.

Durandal1707 posted:

Williams and especially Wilkerson are really good, plus their safeties are young and have a lot of potential. That's pretty much the only thing the Jets D has going for it otherwise - everybody knew they were gonna get lit up this year even before Richardson was traded to Seattle.

That actually isn't true. The Jet D was expected to be at least decent this season. The offense is what was supposed to be historically awful. Bowles' defense has just under preformed since he's been here.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I'm to the point if I keep having to watch this offense, and Rivera won't do anything to Shula, then they both need to go.

It has come to this.

• Locked thread