Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Thanks all for the feedback!

It'd be perfectly fine even if it just discharged slower, really. The only time I'm carrying a powerbank myself is when I'm travelling so the use case I'm thinking of is just plugging it in while on a long donkey ride in the middle of nowhere to extend the run time.

That'd be good enough if it worked at 5V. There are powerbanks that specifically do USB PD, like the ones Atomizer liked above, but I probably don't need this enough to spend fifty bucks on one.

Definitely makes more sense to look for specific models as it really seems to depend on the implementation. I didn't find much info on the model but an older version required 20v PD support. Worst case I could probably hack together a usb to 12v dc jack boost converter, since it's dumb as a brick.

Yeah, like I said a laptop will either refuse to charge at all or it'll just take a charge as fast as it can negotiate. Definitely get that 30W Type C power bank if you're actually going to try this and want the best chance of success, though. Also, don't try to use a Type-A-to-C cable and try to charge a Type C laptop from an older bank with only Type A ports; it doesn't work that way, and isn't supposed to. It will most likely not work at all in that case.

Amara posted:

What I actually realised once y'all were talking about swapping hard drives and ram was that it was worth a shot to replace my old laptop's hard drive with an SSD first (it's the hard drive that's failing). This is the ThinkPad W500 that I've been limping along since 2008. Nowadays I mostly use a desktop and only need a portable computer a few times a year, so I'm going to see if I can squeeze another few years out of it. If that fails I'll take the hard drive and the ram out of that computer and put it into the recommended Acer. It's been a good little laptop and has served me well through several moves and still worked very well up until the random crashes started.

This is absolutely worth a shot, and in fact I recommend replacing any older PC's HDD with an SSD just for a noticeable performance boost, even if the HDD is functioning perfectly.

fivehead posted:

I've used a C740 for two years and written college papers on it with no problem. Still gets 9ish hours of web/google docs battery life and crazy sleep mode.

The sequel, the Acer C771, just came out for $279. Newer processor arch, newer GPU (he can watch any web video ever without killing the battery), and it now has an IPS screen and a USB C port. Mine is in the mail to replace my C740 which will be duct taped to the back of my second monitor for browsing during PUBG.

I've been Acer since C710, this line is insane for the value it brings. No superflous features, android support, crazy battery life. Save the $250 and go race gokarts or something.

I too had one of those Acer C710s, the one with the 160 GB HDD! I gave it to my brother and he still uses it to this day!

That C771 does seem like a competitor to the Lenovo Yoga 11e; they're both around the same size, ruggedized, with similar specs. The Yoga has a 360° hinge and touchscreen whereas the Acer is only 180° with a touchscreen as an option.

Invisible Ted posted:

Hey folks, my current laptop is starting to die via a bad connection with the screen, so I'm beginning to shop around for a new laptop, since I can't afford to be without a computer as I am in school. I'm looking for something capable of light to moderate gaming (most intense game may be a ~1 year old game on all low settings), relatively durable, and my upper price limit is about $1.1k. I currently have a refurbished Dell Inspiron 15 5558, which has been fine for most things besides gaming. Keyboard with a number pad is preferable.

From reading a couple pages, the XPS 15 and Inspiron 7000 seem viable, but I'm pretty unimpressed with how little time the Inspiron 15 5558 has lasted me. Any suggestions? Laptop shopping nowadays seems pretty incomprehensible to me, so sorry if this seems kinda jumbled.

I wouldn't judge a current-model laptop based on older, unrelated models from the same manufacturer. The Inspiron 7000 and similar 1050 Ti laptops are good bargains if you get a refurb/used one on eBay for ~$750-800, but any more than that and the ~$1050 Acer Helios 300 is the way to go. If you do get that Acer E 15 with the 940MX, just make sure to double-check benchmarks with games you want to play; all you have to do is search Youtube for "940MX Overwatch" or similar to get an idea of how any given game will perform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
Thanks for the input everybody; I'll look into PC repair places in my area first. If that doesn't work out, the Acer E15 looks really good for the price, wasn't expecting to be able to get something like that below $700.

RE: Dell hate: Yeah, it's totally unreasonable. It's just kind of a gut reaction that given a day or two, I will pretty much be over.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

So remember what I recently said about that 2014 Toshiba CB 2 being dog-rear end slow? I carry that one in my backpack to work just in case I have some down time or whatever, and I pulled it out on third shift this past weekend for that very reason, and found that it was almost unbearably slow even for casual use. That, and the fact that Woot (on the mobile app) advertised refurb'd HP CB 13s (with the Pentium or m3) for $230 (or $250, respectively.) As I've mentioned, I have the m7 version, which is nice although it gets a little hot underneath and the battery isn't amazing. Considering how expensive the m7 is/was, and said battery life is potentially a limiting factor, I decided to get one of the cheap refurbs to replace the Toshiba. I ordered the Pentium version (although I was leaning towards the m3, but they apparently only had a few models of that and sold out quickly.) The m3 is definitely the faster of the two, although I haven't been able to determine the effective battery life for each version but have inferred that the faster CPUs use more power for the same workload.

Well, after a couple days I received it about an hour ago. I plugged it in and waited; the battery was fully discharged. Powered it up finally, updated everything, connected & synchronized my account, everything works fine. Then I notice the little Intel sticker to the bottom-right of the keyboard:

:stare:

So that's another Core m7 version, with 16 GB of RAM, a ~$1k laptop, that I got for $250 (with tax/shipping.) It's still going (refurb'd) for $530 (or ~$570 after tax & shipping) right now. :magical:

Now I'm not disappointed here, because I got something worth at least double (if not almost quadruple) what I paid, and I could definitely re-sell it for a profit. The point is that Woot does frequently give you a better product than advertised, particularly when buying used/refurbished devices with multiple variants (like this HP CB, or their grab-bag Android tablet or Windows laptop/desktop sales.) I'm only a little conflicted because I had intended to replace that lovely Toshiba CB with a cheap but effective CB with good battery life. As it stands, the QHD+-equipped HPs are rated for under 9 hours by HP, and reviews of the m5 (which seems to be the version they exclusively sent out to reviewers) generally found that it's good for ~6.5 hours, although a couple reviews got 8-9; the m7 in practice feels like it gets no more than that although I haven't done a formal test. It's maddeningly difficult to find reliable battery life results across the ~5 different models, although you'd think somebody would've done a [standardized] test across at least 2-3 of them. It's not that the 5-7 hours the m7 seems to get is horrible, considering that's a long time to be sitting at a PC continuously, and without access to mains power, but around the house I can use the CB from full charge and it will always drop very low by the end of the day, i.e., I don't have any wiggle room for trying to do a little extra work, or for forgetting to plug it in to charge overnight. Furthermore, with the carry-along CB I don't use it often, and don't regularly take it out to recharge after a period of self-discharge, so my concern is it discharging to the point of being unusable when I actually need it, which defeats the purpose. All in all it's not too bad, though, because I still get a cheap CB to toss in the backpack, all things considered!

Invisible Ted posted:

RE: Dell hate: Yeah, it's totally unreasonable. It's just kind of a gut reaction that given a day or two, I will pretty much be over.

To put it in perspective, I've long shied away from Toshiba laptops because I had issues (overheating, locking up, data loss, etc.) with the first ones I ever had, which were 486-based (and this was 3-4 different ones, all old, cheap, hand-me-downs.) That's right, I've held a grudge against Toshiba for 25 years. :stare:

Then again, my concerns are somewhat founded in reality; about a decade ago I tried a couple of Qosmio media center laptops and both failed with mobo/GPU issues (and both were originally refurbished for the same reason). Plus the one Toshiba I have is that Ultrawide, which is nice except it's got an issue with the Wifi card or antenna. Not something I can't fix with a USB adapter, but still! :bahgawd:

In general I wouldn't judge a laptop manufacturer too harshly based on past products, except Toshiba. gently caress Toshiba. Over a quarter-century I've never had so many loving problems with a single laptop manufacturer. The only Toshiba laptops I've ever owned without any glaring issues (aside from that 2014 version being slow as poo poo due to the CPU) were those two Chromebooks...and they don't even make those any more!

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

On the new quad core ULV CPUs:

quote:

The CPU maintains high Turbo speeds for a short while, which is corroborated with a package TDP of 25 W or higher, but after a few seconds it drops to the standard 15 W TDP and the frequencies drop to 2.2 – 2.3 GHz.

[...]

What I can tell you is that the CPU wasn’t be able to maintain 3.4 GHz speeds in recent games on either of the units, with a significant drop on the configuration that relied solely on the i5-8250U and the Intel HD 620 integrated chip

http://www.ultrabookreview.com/17801-intel-core-i5-8250u-benchmarks/

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Want to post about the recent laptop purchase I made. I was looking for a basic on-the-go netflix/lecture watching/email machine, with a priority on a low price, portability, good screen, and long battery life. I went with the Asus Flip C100 -- found it on sale at Best Buy a few weeks ago for $230 (currently $260), and picked up a case and clamshell from Amazon for another $40.

I couldn't be much happier with it. Between lasting for days of light use without a charge and being light enough to carry with all my study materials in my backpack, it's been a hugely helpful and unobtrusive tool. Being able to use it as a tablet in a pinch is also quite nice. It's got enough RAM to deal with my 20-tab browsing habits, but a little RAM management is necessary to keep it from chugging if you're using more than just Chrome. The screen is small, but clear enough (great viewing angles!). Once or twice I've had to increase the text size to reduce eye strain.

My biggest complaint is that the charger is proprietary and costs $30 for a replacement. I'd love to have one for my bag and one to keep at home, so I'm going to bite the bullet and order another from the ASUS store.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Atomizer posted:

:stare:

So that's another Core m7 version, with 16 GB of RAM, a ~$1k laptop, that I got for $250 (with tax/shipping.) It's still going (refurb'd) for $530 (or ~$570 after tax & shipping) right now. :magical:

I know the internet is death by a thousand javascripts but does a Chromebook even do anything with those specs?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

drat Atomizer, good get

baka kaba posted:

I know the internet is death by a thousand javascripts but does a Chromebook even do anything with those specs?

Install Linux, if it has Android apps, it can help having a beefier x86 CPU since they're designed for ARM.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Not a Children posted:

Want to post about the recent laptop purchase I made. I was looking for a basic on-the-go netflix/lecture watching/email machine, with a priority on a low price, portability, good screen, and long battery life. I went with the Asus Flip C100 -- found it on sale at Best Buy a few weeks ago for $230 (currently $260), and picked up a case and clamshell from Amazon for another $40.

I couldn't be much happier with it. Between lasting for days of light use without a charge and being light enough to carry with all my study materials in my backpack, it's been a hugely helpful and unobtrusive tool. Being able to use it as a tablet in a pinch is also quite nice. It's got enough RAM to deal with my 20-tab browsing habits, but a little RAM management is necessary to keep it from chugging if you're using more than just Chrome. The screen is small, but clear enough (great viewing angles!). Once or twice I've had to increase the text size to reduce eye strain.

My biggest complaint is that the charger is proprietary and costs $30 for a replacement. I'd love to have one for my bag and one to keep at home, so I'm going to bite the bullet and order another from the ASUS store.

Check out The Great Suspender for a little assistance managing tabs and RAM use.

I know replacement chargers can be overpriced, although I don't think $30 is out of line for one. Maybe considering how much that is in relation to the overall price of the laptop, but it's not too bad.

baka kaba posted:

Eh, it's just one of the faster ones, and all that RAM lets you store a shitton of tabs. Other than that, it's just a nice CB!

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
I was looking at sub-$400 laptops with screen sizes below 14 inches online and finally went to a local store to check out some demo models. Do any of these new ultrabook-type laptops have beefy power jacks? I feel like I'm going to break the tiny power jack/plug that seems to be the standard these days...

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Most modern ultrabooks charge through USB-C ports, so it's not really an issue.

edit: whoops, not usually sub $400 though, missed your budget there.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 19, 2017

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Ceros_X posted:

I was looking at sub-$400 laptops with screen sizes below 14 inches online and finally went to a local store to check out some demo models. Do any of these new ultrabook-type laptops have beefy power jacks? I feel like I'm going to break the tiny power jack/plug that seems to be the standard these days...

I've never broken one myself, but I know what you mean. There's not a whole lot you can do about that, unfortunately, so just be careful when plugged in (and this includes other types of connections to; I have seen plenty of busted USB ports from the troglodytes at work.) Plus, if you're looking at budget laptops in the first place I guess you wouldn't feel too bad if you damaged one, as opposed to breaking a $1k+ machine.

Also, I don't think there are very many good small and cheap laptops. I mean there's this ZenBook but it's above your price range. There's the HP Stream 11 or 13, but they're very low-performance. There's this Asus, which is cheap and not quite as crappy as those HPs, but it's still slow. There's a ton of Chromebooks in your price range in <14" sizes though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Most electronic repair shops will fix a power plug for under $50

I've never had one fail on me in 18 years though

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

So there's a good chance I'll be relocating overseas in the next 3-6 months and in preparation I'm looking for a good desktop replacement laptop. Looking for something higher end to replace my current gaming PC that's also not horribly bulky as I'll also likely be using it as my main work PC (my last laptop was almost 10 years ago and was 17" which ended up in hindsight being too big to be really portable). If possible I'd like something that should be good for 2-3 years gaming wise. Currently I'm looking at the following:

Asus ROG Zephyrus GX501
Razer Blade
Origin EON15-X

I like the look of the Zephyrus but I'm not sure if the price is worth it for the 1080 Max-Q that functions as a 1070 (I've heard varying reports on just how powerful the GPU is in the Max-Q laptops). I'd probably go with the Blade if it had an option to have a 1070, but it seems it only comes with a 1060 (the option to upgrade the GPU with the razer core sounds interesting, but at least initially I'd prefer to have more base power, I think). The origin has a bunch of customization options, but I've not heard much about them previously so unsure (also support may be difficult overseas if necessary).

Any advice and/or other options in the neighborhood of the above?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

alansmithee posted:

So there's a good chance I'll be relocating overseas in the next 3-6 months and in preparation I'm looking for a good desktop replacement laptop. Looking for something higher end to replace my current gaming PC that's also not horribly bulky as I'll also likely be using it as my main work PC (my last laptop was almost 10 years ago and was 17" which ended up in hindsight being too big to be really portable). If possible I'd like something that should be good for 2-3 years gaming wise. Currently I'm looking at the following:

Asus ROG Zephyrus GX501
Razer Blade
Origin EON15-X

I like the look of the Zephyrus but I'm not sure if the price is worth it for the 1080 Max-Q that functions as a 1070 (I've heard varying reports on just how powerful the GPU is in the Max-Q laptops). I'd probably go with the Blade if it had an option to have a 1070, but it seems it only comes with a 1060 (the option to upgrade the GPU with the razer core sounds interesting, but at least initially I'd prefer to have more base power, I think). The origin has a bunch of customization options, but I've not heard much about them previously so unsure (also support may be difficult overseas if necessary).

17" is definitely too large for something you expect to carry around with any regularity, and you can always attach an external display if you need a large panel while at home working.

The Zephyrus is niche; it's way overpriced for its performance. The MaxQ GPUs are basically a half-step down from their regular versions; a 1080MQ could be thought of as a 1075, and the 1070MQ as a 1065, etc. That's not to say any of them are bad, but you're paying more for less performance.

An eGPU setup mostly makes sense for an ultraportable laptop without a dGPU in the first place, i.e. you'd carry it around to work during the day and then dock it to the eGPU at home for gaming afterwards. That's viable, my best recommendation is the Acer Predator Helios 300 for ~$1k.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Have you considered an Alienware 13r3?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

alansmithee posted:

Asus ROG Zephyrus GX501
Razer Blade
Origin EON15-X

Depends on your budget, really. If you want a laptop with a 1070 in it, the best one is almost certainly the Aorus x5v6. Pricey, but the laptop you get is slim, reasonably portable, extraordinarily powerful (with a CPU more powerful than most other gaming laptops), and surprisingly durable.

And it performs within 5% of that Zephyrus.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Just wanted to say thanks to this thread and to the OP, just bought a new Lenovo because the wireless card on my current one died, and the B&N discount made it so much cheaper compared to the Canadian price that I ordered in USD and will drive to the border to pick it up.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Ynglaur posted:

Have you considered an Alienware 13r3?

I don't understand those things. Why would you buy a 13" laptop that weighs more than most 15" models?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I don't understand those things. Why would you buy a 13" laptop that weighs more than most 15" models?

uhm, the logo obviously

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

alansmithee posted:

Asus ROG Zephyrus GX501
Razer Blade
Origin EON15-X

It's probably worth noting that Razer has a track record of poor customer service, and this is magnified if you are not in the countries America and maybe United Kingdom. Reddit, Razer forums, and notebookreview forums are littered with bad Razer CS stories that seem to be 10 times worse outside of the US than inside it.

If you are looking for more power than a GTX1060, you could look at the MSI GS63VR with the 1070 Max Q. The 1070 Max Q is a better value proposition than the 1080 MQ you have concerns about, as it actually sits between a 1060 and 1070, and a good deal closer to the 1070.

It's thin and portable, but it will get hot and loud under load. People have reported 90 degrees on GPU over on the NBR forums.

Another option is the Clevo P950 series with GTX 1070 Max Q. The Origin you linked is a Clevo chassis (P650, now a discontinued chassis) so I assume you're okay with them. The P950 is thin and light, too. FWIW, Clevos are solid good-not-great laptops. Good build quality, good screens, good hardware, nothing outstanding or gimmicky. Workmanlike.

If you need a full fat 1070, the Aorus X5 V6/V7 (Skylake/Kaby Lake) is probably the best laptop out there in terms of portability, build quality, and power, but it's expensive, too. The MSI GT series have 1070s as well but they are like 1.5" thick and are really far outside the range of portability when compared to the models you listed.

If you are going after a Clevo chassis (Like that eon 15 which is a p650), Origin is not your only option. Sites Like HIDEvolution, Gentechpc, Xoticpc all offer these with tons of customization, and international warranties to boot (in some cases, like HID, the international warranty means they pay for shipping if something goes wrong while you're abroad).

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
What's the general consensus on the x1 carbon vs the xps 13? I'm leaning towards the x1, wondering if there's any reason to go with something else. Are there any other laptops I should be considering in that class? Any good argument for going with the t-series over the x1? Basically looking for something to replace my six year old mbp with something with similar build quality and good battery life for development work.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

pr0zac posted:

What's the general consensus on the x1 carbon vs the xps 13? I'm leaning towards the x1, wondering if there's any reason to go with something else. Are there any other laptops I should be considering in that class? Any good argument for going with the t-series over the x1? Basically looking for something to replace my six year old mbp with something with similar build quality and good battery life for development work.

I had a similar decision a few months ago. I picked up T470s on account of the lower price in comparison to the X1 and some upgrade options compared to both of them. I got a 1440p screen on it, so not as high res as the XPS 13's 3200x1800 screen, but I really did not want a glossy screen.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice. Got a few things to think of. I was kinda set on something in the 2k range but that acer looks interesting being that it's so much less.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

If weight is not the primary consideration. If it is, then yeah: don't bother looking at AW.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Ynglaur posted:

If weight is not the primary consideration. If it is, then yeah: don't bother looking at AW.

Sure, but if weight isn't a concern, why would you get something with a 13" display? I just don't see the use case.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Has anyone posted the Google PixelBook yet? $1299 premium Chromebook

http://www.droid-life.com/2017/09/19/google-pixelbook-chromebook-price-release-date/

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Sure, but if weight isn't a concern, why would you get something with a 13" display? I just don't see the use case.

For me, it was a smallish machine with a 1060 and good build quality. The smaller width and hinge forward means its usable on a plane. The OLED and good keyboard are nice bonuses.

Only other options were a full 15" (too big), a Razer Blade (throttles, very loud fans), or the MSI GS43VR. The MSI was very tempting, but i was put off by the flimsy screen and heatpipes sitting on top of parts of the motherboard it shouldn't. That concern may have been misplaced; I guess we'll see in a couple years if the thermals are a long term reliability issue or not.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

http://www.droid-life.com/2017/09/19/google-pixelbook-chromebook-price-release-date/

DOA. Didn't they learn from the last one?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Look at those giant-rear end bezels

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Look at those giant-rear end bezels

at $1200 they didnt wanna skimp out on the bezels

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Statutory Ape posted:

at $1200 they didnt wanna skimp out on the bezels

I love paying 1200+ to get less functionality than a lovely 200 windows tablet. Google certainly knows their market!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We gave out Chromebook pixels at work to all our marketing and sales people because we couldn't trust them to not install malware. They're also arguably easier to manage than MacBooks. There's definitely a market for high end Chromebooks and arguments for them. Not sure how many we had ultimately, but somewhere around 50 in our organization.

They may not be aimed at the mouth breather Walmart shopping population, but of the market that can afford them, they're generally well liked for what they are.

Our it department especially liked them as whenever someone had problems they would just tell them to power wash it and then log back in.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I only hope it goes Drooooiiid every time you turn it on

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hadlock posted:

We gave out Chromebook pixels at work to all our marketing and sales people because we couldn't trust them to not install malware. They're also arguably easier to manage than MacBooks. There's definitely a market for high end Chromebooks and arguments for them. Not sure how many we had ultimately, but somewhere around 50 in our organization.

They may not be aimed at the mouth breather Walmart shopping population, but of the market that can afford them, they're generally well liked for what they are.

Our it department especially liked them as whenever someone had problems they would just tell them to power wash it and then log back in.

Why do they need so much storage? Like 256 gig option?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Mu Zeta posted:

I think it's because these are iPad Pro competitors, but for folks who need a real keyboard/laptop form factor. The pen is kind of a dead giveaway.

It'll have Google Play access, and things like Play Video/Music/Netflix local storage, space can probably get eaten up with a relative quickness. Keeps your SD card slot open for actually getting photos off your camera, too, instead of a local storage option.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

NewFatMike posted:

I think it's because these are iPad Pro competitors, but for folks who need a real keyboard/laptop form factor. The pen is kind of a dead giveaway.

It'll have Google Play access, and things like Play Video/Music/Netflix local storage, space can probably get eaten up with a relative quickness. Keeps your SD card slot open for actually getting photos off your camera, too, instead of a local storage option.

man somebody should consider designing an operating system that supports those general features already, but in that form factor, they'd make millions

E: they could call it DOOS. The can-do operating system

Worf fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 21, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Anything to watch out for when buying off of Dell Outlet? I see a scratch and dent 15-inch 7000 Gaming in Black, with an i7, 16GB of RAM, an M.2 drive, and a 1050 Ti for only $893, before the sale going on (SITEWIDE10) , and I am kind of intrigued.

Certified Refurbished is $48 more.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 21, 2017

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Does anyone sell reasonably specced laptops with displays with more than 1920x1080 and more than 60Hz? I've seen like one 2560x1440/120Hz thing with horrendous banding(?), and the only other option I can find is apparently the most expensive Alienware one they make.

I feel like I gotta replace my laptop from 2011 eventually, but it kinda looks like macbooks are the only ones that improved on display resolution and they're not really my thing.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Vanadium posted:

Does anyone sell reasonably specced laptops with displays with more than 1920x1080 and more than 60Hz? I've seen like one 2560x1440/120Hz thing with horrendous banding(?), and the only other option I can find is apparently the most expensive Alienware one they make.

I feel like I gotta replace my laptop from 2011 eventually, but it kinda looks like macbooks are the only ones that improved on display resolution and they're not really my thing.

>1080p is easy, there are plenty of 4K laptops out there as well as some weird "3K" sizes.

>60Hz is harder. MSI and Asus both make 120Hz laptops in their gaming lines, I'm sure that a few others do as well, but they're certainly not common.

Whether you can find both in the same machine I have no idea. The only 120Hz laptops I've seen have been 1080p.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

I'm as surprised that they're releasing another CB Pixel as I am that I didn't know about this until now! :stare:

Mu Zeta posted:

You only really need local storage on a CB for Android apps and/or additional Linux distros. Any other use is largely superfluous (because if you're just temporarily holding stuff that you downloaded you can send that to flash media) and it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to run your CB offline for any length of time that you couldn't use Google Drive storage for everything.

Hadlock posted:

I love the CB Pixel(s), but I think they were more ideally targeted towards individuals/"executives" rather than towards IT departments for issuing to employees in general; I'd much rather issue employees cheaper, but still effective professional models like the Dell 13, Thinkpad 13, or the Acer 14 (for work). I mean the Pixels are impressive, but the Dell 13s are almost on the same level but are cheaper and arguably more durable. Beyond that they all work exactly the same, and they're fantastic for the education & business markets because they're nigh foolproof/bulletproof.