Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Dienes posted:

I like that Rick anticipated how mean they would be when they woke up and tried to get Summer out of there before it happened.

That's my reading of it too. She stayed and got hurled abuse until they decided to quit and go on a normal adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Typical posted:

I put a dumb Moon themed Easter egg into this episode.

Its the license plate

wait you actually work on this show??

Nice!!

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

BizarroAzrael posted:

Does Jerry not wonder why he got fired?

I mean, there are several possibilities here. One is that Rick only deleted Jerry's memories of the simulation, so that he couldn't blame his firing on Rick. Another is that the entire episode's plot went differently in this universe. It probably doesn't matter, though.

The "Sleepy Gary" memory, on the other hand, is interesting in that it kind of hints at the aftermath of Total Rickall. The implanted memories don't just delete themselves when the parasites die - but Rick was able to undo the damage regardless using generic memory erasure. (This also indicates that if there were any real people killed alongside the parasites by mistake, Rick could easily cover it up.)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Although a clips episode it actually had some character development for Rick. We learned that his ego is so fragile he has to erase memories of Morty ever besting him or correcting him or knowing anything slightly embarrassing about him. We've all taken for granite that rick is super confident and doesn't give a gently caress but thats just a curated facade he establishes with memory editing.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Gorgeous Mohammad posted:

For all of the hate that some of the episodes have gotten this season this is the only one I didn't find all that good. There were some funny scenes but I thought it was pretty meh overall.
Wrong

I was audibly excited when I realized that this was going to be an evolved clip show, and then Rick said as much and I got more audible.

This episode was an amazing use of a clip show because it allowed us to see stuff that is canon, quickly accelerated, and new to us. We got to get through like 10 or 20 ideas that expand/flesh out the universe even more, it was really great. I love summer's whole thing and attitude at the end, she deleberiatley stayed to probably be lovely to them. And yes, that dig at the end was def a joke about Roiland/Harmon. They probably aren't actually fighting like that, but the internet thinks they are so its fun to joke about.

I went back and read the level 4 emergency card too and it just said exactly what she did, which was nice because it gave some sort of closure to the process. Which, that whole process, was amazing. Rick pays her an extra to do that, Rick trusts her to serve that role, rick take's memory backups either upon entering the chamber or some other regular interval, rick thought through this scenario, and the way the steps were packaged with that red thing that you have to crack was such a nice subtle touch to sell this whole thing.

Oh that reminds me, new harmontown is uploaded.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 18, 2017

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
there is a quest to find the r2d2 toilet mentioned in the next episode preview

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Baronjutter posted:

Although a clips episode it actually had some character development for Rick. We learned that his ego is so fragile he has to erase memories of Morty ever besting him or correcting him or knowing anything slightly embarrassing about him. We've all taken for granite that rick is super confident and doesn't give a gently caress but thats just a curated facade he establishes with memory editing.

I guess "mortiest morty"/"morty's are so... you... they camoflage our rickness" does not mean he's dumb, that was pretty good pattern recognition on morty's part to notice the color coding.

episode is good, but doesn't really feel comparable to inter dimensional cable despite all the lampshading as this is actual short stories and cable is supposed to be a vehicle for twenty minutes of anarchic drunken improv.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

"F1V3" = "FIVE"

I guess I thought about it too much. Sat v was Saturn V which has five F1 rocket engines.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

re: Harmontown

It's a scrhab episode and starts out at 95% schrab. yiiiiisssss

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
that episode was rear end

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I loved the squirrels segment.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I really enjoyed getting this instead of doing another interdimensional cable episode but all the meta comments took me out of parts of the episode. I know I'm in the minority but the 4th wall breaking moments in this show tend to be the weakest moments for me. I think the only one i have enjoyed is Mr. Poopy Butthole, any time Rick cracks a meta joke it just doesn't work for me.

It almost feels like I'm watching an abridged series when Rick stops and talks to the audience directly, it feels wholly unnecessary. However outside of that the memories we got to see were pretty darn entertaining and we got some nice character moments through them too. I'm not the only one who thought Rick was loving with Morty the whole time with the moonman and the smudge on the telescope right? That's just such a Rick thing to do

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Aces High posted:

I really enjoyed getting this instead of doing another interdimensional cable episode but all the meta comments took me out of parts of the episode. I know I'm in the minority but the 4th wall breaking moments in this show tend to be the weakest moments for me. I think the only one i have enjoyed is Mr. Poopy Butthole, any time Rick cracks a meta joke it just doesn't work for me.

It almost feels like I'm watching an abridged series when Rick stops and talks to the audience directly, it feels wholly unnecessary. However outside of that the memories we got to see were pretty darn entertaining and we got some nice character moments through them too. I'm not the only one who thought Rick was loving with Morty the whole time with the moonman and the smudge on the telescope right? That's just such a Rick thing to do

I think that they said that when they were making season one, they were planning on eventually revealing that Rick is explicitly, canonically aware that he's a fictional character, and that it's a major part of his motivations; they abandoned the idea of making this a big twist but kept it as a general running thing.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

21 Muns posted:

I think that they said that when they were making season one, they were planning on eventually revealing that Rick is explicitly, canonically aware that he's a fictional character, and that it's a major part of his motivations; they abandoned the idea of making this a big twist but kept it as a general running thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0ubiYImTdw

Usually I don't care for these post-mortems because they need to spoonfeed things for ultranerds, but I love Justin Roiland's bit at the end of this one.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Dongicus posted:

that episode was rear end

Wr--*uurrrp* Wrong.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'll be honest, it was amusing but I preferred where Gravity Falls went with the memory-erasing science stuff. It's a totally different story of course doing something totally other than this, but I just found it more interesting, the idea that When you remove your most traumatic memory, the relatively mundane ones become the most traumatic memory, until after a escalating feedback loop of erasing his own memory of eventually any event that made him feel uncomfortable (the first memory he removed was seeing beyond the veil to a dimension of pure chaos, the second was a bad car accident), he ends up destroying his mind completely. I just find exploring implications interesting.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
"True level" was easily the best gag of the night

General Dog fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 18, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

General Dog posted:

"True level" was easily the best gag of the night

Probably makes the top-10 for the entire shot. I saw the punchline coming and still laughed. It was an excellent bit.

"I dabble in precision" is a quality line.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 18, 2017

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Typical posted:

I put a dumb Moon themed Easter egg into this episode.

Its the license plate
SAT = Saturn
F1 = F1 engines used in stage 1
V = the "V" in Saturn V
3 = Three stages for ascent and Trans Lunar Injection

Correct?

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

"F1V3" = "FIVE"
...Welp I read too much into it.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Morty's Mindblowers is basically the Dan Harmon to Roiland's Off the Cuff Interdimensional Cable.

Season 3's been far more Harmon than the rest, so that makes sense. Oddly enough both are good! Wow!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Falken posted:

SAT = Saturn
V = the "V" in Saturn V

Correct?

This is basically what I did too

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fancy Hat! posted:

Morty's Mindblowers is basically the Dan Harmon to Roiland's Off the Cuff Interdimensional Cable.

Season 3's been far more Harmon than the rest, so that makes sense. Oddly enough both are good! Wow!

I do like this direction, but I think it would be interesting to see a season that goes as far in the Roiland direction from the first two seasons as this season goes in the Harmon direction.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

21 Muns posted:

I do like this direction, but I think it would be interesting to see a season that goes as far in the Roiland direction from the first two seasons as this season goes in the Harmon direction.

I feel Tales From The Citadel is as Roiland as you can get, it's an incredibly stupid premise that goes on so long that it wraps around to being super interesting.

Its basically a better written House of Cosbies.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A fully Roiland episode would have very little plot and see them going to a dimension of wrinkly ball sack creatures that eat their own poo poo, graphically, and get off by stabbing people and loving the stab hole then making GBS threads in the stab hole. Morty would get stabbed and shat in, which would inflect him causing his head to swell up and become a huge scrotum and only eating rick's human poop would save him. A bunch of kids would be killed in horrible ways, lots of random stabbing and death and making GBS threads.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Yestermoment posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0ubiYImTdw

Usually I don't care for these post-mortems because they need to spoonfeed things for ultranerds, but I love Justin Roiland's bit at the end of this one.

I didn't notice until I watched on this but one of the vials near the front says "Virginity". and it's a Red one.

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

This license plate thing is going to become the Rick and Morty version of Sneed's Feed and Seed isn't it?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

21 Muns posted:

Much like Twin Peaks had both a Frost ending and a Lynch ending, so too will Rick and Morty have a Harmon and a Roiland ending. The Harmon ending will be Rick erasing himself from history, and the Roiland ending will be 30 minutes of Rick and Morty literally inhaling and suffocating on dicks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Rassle posted:

This license plate thing is going to become the Rick and Morty version of Sneed's Feed and Seed isn't it?

No, because we have the person that wrote the joke posting is this very thread so full intent can be known.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

The Glumslinger posted:

Fighting the space worm with the power of love was hilarious

"Excuse me, but I ordered the large evil space worm?"

It was a nice deconstruction of the whole "fight it with love and willpower" trope.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Falken posted:

SAT = Saturn
V = the "V" in Saturn V

Correct?

Umm well Its just F1V3 = Five, but I like your analysis.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Rassle posted:

I don't really know what that is, but both interpretations of the license plate reach the same conclusion, Saturn V.

QwertySanchez posted:

I didn't notice until I watched on this but one of the vials near the front says "Virginity". and it's a Red one.

That pedophile guy is probably interested in that memory.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Cojawfee posted:

I don't really know what that is, but both interpretations of the license plate reach the same conclusion, Saturn V.

It's a visual gag in a Simpsons episode. The sign says "Sneed's Seed and Feed (Formerly Chuck's)".

The obvious joke is that the place used to be called Chuck's Suck and gently caress, but for some reason people like to argue about this as though there could be any other interpretation of that punchline... possibly because it's an unusually "mature" joke for the series.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Baronjutter posted:

A fully Roiland episode would have very little plot and see them going to a dimension of wrinkly ball sack creatures that eat their own poo poo, graphically, and get off by stabbing people and loving the stab hole then making GBS threads in the stab hole. Morty would get stabbed and shat in, which would inflect him causing his head to swell up and become a huge scrotum and only eating rick's human poop would save him. A bunch of kids would be killed in horrible ways, lots of random stabbing and death and making GBS threads.

would honestly prefer that to the glut of lovely character focused episodes

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
they should cum in it as well

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This was my favorite episode of the season. I love the ones that just go apeshit and lose their minds.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Baronjutter posted:

Ideally my kind of episode tbh

Edit not that i hate character stuff. It's also my favorite.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
It was interesting having two vignette stories back to back. I didn't expect that. Ricklantis mixup was satisfyingly interwoven and tied together to a big deal at the end. This one delightfully fails to come together at all.

Summer's utterly blasé response to the crisis is great. It's a second layer of the "people are constantly cleaning up after Rick" story we saw with the Neutrino Bomb and Morty in the Vindicators episode.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

This episode was a lot of fun, the memories were the right mix of weird, disturbing, and petty poo poo. The reset at the end was great too.

I wonder if this season is just going to kind of end or if there's another story arc coming up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Kelp Plankton posted:

I wonder if this season is just going to kind of end or if there's another story arc coming up

Good question. I think it's easy these days to take the notion that a season will always end with some big story arc for granite.