Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's resonating with a whole lot more then a trek only audience based on the numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I would recommend it to people with encyclopedic knowledge of trek, who also acknowledge that trek is often bad. And like it anyway. Since The Orville is bad. And I like it anyway.

Edit: ^ yeah, that's a complete loving mystery to me.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Just because it references Trek doesn't mean you have to know Trek to get what's going on. This isn't a complicated show.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Snak posted:

I would recommend it to people with encyclopedic knowledge of trek, who also acknowledge that trek is often bad. And like it anyway. Since The Orville is bad. And I like it anyway.

Edit: ^ yeah, that's a complete loving mystery to me.

I think a lot more people are into trek than they'd like to admit.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but I don't see what the appeal is otherwise. The jokes are mediocre at best and it's an hour show.

Iron Crowned posted:

I think a lot more people are into trek than they'd like to admit.

I think that's true, too. While people who post on the internet about trek are weird nerds, lots of normal people watched at least one Trek series in their childhood or with a family member or something.

Like, my bestie's mom, who is a weird mormon who doesn't watch movies or tv, has watched chunks of DS9.

Snak fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 18, 2017

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Snak posted:

Yeah, but I don't see what the appeal is otherwise. The jokes are mediocre at best and it's an hour show.

Lots of unfunny shows are popular

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/neilhimself/status/909698756223913984

How many people are going to complain that Good Omens ripped off the name Crowley from Supernatural?

Endlessly. When Constantine was airing I saw a lot of Supernatural fans claim his looked was swiped from Castiel.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Lots of unfunny shows are popular

Yeah, I'm wondering if this is somehow hitting the Big Bang Theory formula. I assumed number fors the second episode would fall off a cliff.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Maybe people just want to watch a heavily promoted science fiction show that has some jokes as window dressing. :shrug: I don't think it's hilarious either, but I do think the comedic tone keeps it grounded and relatable.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 18, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sinteres posted:

Maybe people just want to watch a heavily promoted science fiction show that has some jokes as window dressing. :shrug:

Yeah, I mean, I think that's a bit of a stretch, but I also think that it a huge plus that the show plays its plots completly straight. Because a parody where you're constantly being textually like "of course wacky thing, because that's how it is in the show" wouldn't be sustainable. It worked fine in galaxy quest, because it was a single story.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think The Orville sucks but I'm not surprised it's doing great, people are desperate for more TNG.

DrVenkman posted:

Nah, it's like your batsignal.

Whatever the reason, Netflix shows have pacing issues and, at the very least, every Marvel show has run into the same problem. Even JESSICA JONES, which I liked a lot, stumbles while it spins it's wheels.

13 REASONS WHY runs into repetition issues the more it goes on until it gets to the end. I don't watch HOUSE OF CARDS so I can't say if it's the same for them.

So, either the writers need to get better at writing for binge watchers, or Netflix (or whoever is making them) need to experiment more.

Defenders was 8 episodes and it's the shittiest paced of the Marvel shows.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

I think The Orville sucks but I'm not surprised it's doing great, people are desperate for more TNG.

Defenders was 8 episodes and it's the shittiest paced of the Marvel shows.

Uh, what? JJ definitely has worse pacing, the 2nd half of Luke Cage could've been a few episodes shorter too.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
There is no such thing as an ideal episode count. This is a grass-is-always-greenerism.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Uh, what? JJ definitely has worse pacing, the 2nd half of Luke Cage could've been a few episodes shorter too.

No pacing would've made Diamondback not be lovely.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 19, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Hard disagree. The entirety of Defenders managed to feel like it was constantly stalling for time and rushing everything at the same time.

Lycus posted:

There is no such thing as an ideal episode count. This is a grass-is-always-greenerism.

Yeah. If something has lovely pacing, removing or adding episodes won't help. That's just the directors/showrunners/writers not being good at pacing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lycus posted:

It's really not. Those 2 shows definitely could've been condensed down to have much tighter pacing without anything, especially JJ.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I thought every episode of JJ was good and don't think it had any pacing issues.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It's really not. Those 2 shows definitely could've been condensed down to have much tighter pacing without anything, especially JJ.

A bad/good/mediocre 13 episode show would've been a bad/good/mediocre 8 episode show because it's the same people writing it. People regularly say the same thing in reverse too.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

I thought every episode of JJ was good and don't think it had any pacing issues.

Yeah but you like The Orville

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

big little lies, a perfect tv show, was seven episodes long. therefore the best length for a tv show is seven episodes full stop.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Snak posted:

I thought 90% of the episodes of JJ were bad, and making 8 episodes wouldn't of help.

Lycus posted:

A bad/good/mediocre 13 episode show would've been a bad/good/mediocre 8 episode show because it's the same people writing it. People regularly say the same thing in reverse too.

Yep. I use to think that you could fix JJ, but it just wasn't good no matter the length.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Lycus posted:

This is a little reductive. If you have 6 episodes of material and you're tasked with making 9 episodes out of it then it's a problem with length, not talent. A middle-act lull in an 8 episode season leads to 2 dud episodes that you can easily get through. A middle act lull in a 16 episode season can last for 4 episodes and can completely kill the momentum and the ability for the viewer to get through it.

Look at movies. You might have a brilliant director who is amazing at world building, cinematography, character moments who's ego gets in the way and the story telling suffers as a result. Bring in a crack editor to hold the reigns and keep him in check and the end product can turn out amazing. I can't think of any examples right now but I always hear about examples of that.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I used to think Jessica Jones needed fewer episodes, but now I mostly think it just needed to use a couple more episodes in the beginning to establish her world and see her work before introducing the villain, which would have streamlined the main plot a bit.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Tim & Eric's Bedtime Stories has been really good this season, but last night's episode is especially :stare: http://www.adultswim.com/videos/tim-erics-bedtime-stories/angel-man-extended-cut/

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Is...this a joke? Your new music is bullshit, Scotty. It's BULLSHIT. IT SUCKS!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sinteres posted:

I used to think Jessica Jones needed fewer episodes, but now I mostly think it just needed to use a couple more episodes in the beginning to establish her world and see her work before introducing the villain, which would have streamlined the main plot a bit.

They should have just dumped Iron Fist and used the money for more Jessica Jones

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Looten Plunder posted:

This is a little reductive. If you have 6 episodes of material and you're tasked with making 9 episodes out of it then it's a problem with length, not talent.

No, it's not, because you can just loving WRITE MORE SHOW

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The Star Trek pilot is stupid good. I've seen it plenty of times before, but I think I appreciate it now more than ever.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Second episode of The Orville was much better than the pilot. It felt way more Star Trekesque than episode one, and I actually got some goosebumps while watching the credit sequence. It's so bizarre and wonderful to be watching something so close to an honest-to-goodness new Star Trek in 2017. I really do, deep down, want Discovery to succeed, but in my heart I know that if anything it'll tack closer to the Abrams films than TOS, TNG, or even DS9, which dosen't quite to it for me. Which is why I'm glad that The Orville exists, even though it's execution is flawed it still looks and feels like Star Trek.

Which can't honestly be said of the Abrams movies, with all of their dutch angles and shiny smooth surfaces and crazy stunts and effects. Trek is prosthetics and chintzy "futuristic" furniture—good-but not overwrought-production design—and practical, workhorse shooting styles and fight scenes. The drama in the show comes from the characters and story, not from the presentation. The Orville has all that, and I am glad to look past the casual dialog and occasional mediocre attempts at humor because it gets so much else right.

There's always a chance that Seth will reevaluate the need for "comedy" if he gets a second season and then we'll get the Trek show that Trekkies have been wanting since... well, TNG ended, I suppose. For now, though, The Orville will do.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
hey, it turns out that filming a tv series about mexican drug cartels on location in mexico is a really loving bad idea

https://twitter.com/latimesworld/status/909935019849793537

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Orville isn't much sillier than real Trek

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 19, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm watching the new season of Ray Donovan. In a sea of incredible television shows I can't figure out what it is about this show that keeps drawing back in. It certainly isn't likeable characters.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

No, it's not, because you can just loving WRITE MORE SHOW

Seriously? We aren't talking about Days of our Lives here.

If someone writes something with a beginning, middle and end you don't just tell someone "hey write more middle, we want this story to go for longer" and not expect it to affect anything.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

LionArcher posted:

Whoever buys Bonds rights is an idiot if they don't do an expanded universe. Hear me out. The movies are just the movies. But make a limited series (8 or 10) episode series that's about 003 or 009 and have it be a female agent. Each season could focus on a single long arc while also doing episode of the week. It's 24 meets meets The Americans meets Bond.

This seems to be the easiest way to backdoor idris elba into the bond universe tbh.

On an unrelated note, wasn't there a show recently (last decade?) that was like there were two separate viewpoints for episodes? Like it was a major theme of the show but not simply in a narrative way? Maybe had a color theme, might have been a mystery or something?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There was a show called Boomtown where each episode showed the perspectives of the cops, lawyers, criminals, etc.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Milo and POTUS posted:

On an unrelated note, wasn't there a show recently (last decade?) that was like there were two separate viewpoints for episodes? Like it was a major theme of the show but not simply in a narrative way? Maybe had a color theme, might have been a mystery or something?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2699110/

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I don't think either of those are it but I've got so little knowledge of what (might have) existed that I don't think I'll ever be able to give enough descriptive info. Maybe a death happened, car crash maybe? gently caress I smoke too much weed

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It might be Awake. Jason Isaacs. It has the car crash, death, and two perspectives with the dream (or not dream) sequences being a different color theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNh0Z3t__2A

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Sep 19, 2017

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Yup that's it. Wow I'm surprised you would know it from that piss poor description.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've watched like a disgusting amount of TV the past decade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Orville ratings will be poo poo by the end of the season. You can quote me on that.

• Locked thread