Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sometimes he is, sometimes he'll just toss all his balls down the gutter and let you win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
I bowled a perfect game and he threw every single shot directly in the gutter. I felt it fitting to his character.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
In 0, is there a reason why Media King isn't challenging me? I'm in Chapter 10, and I have 58% of his property - shouldn't he be challenging me to bowling or darts or dancing or something?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Capsaicin posted:

In 0, is there a reason why Media King isn't challenging me? I'm in Chapter 10, and I have 58% of his property - shouldn't he be challenging me to bowling or darts or dancing or something?

I think the threshold is 60% for a challenge

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
0 arrived yesterday, going in blind on it and already pretty hooked after the first chapter.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Zerilan posted:

0 arrived yesterday, going in blind on it and already pretty hooked after the first chapter.

Oh god, just wait until you meet Majima.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Zerilan posted:

Strap in for a quite a ride. Take it slow, enjoy the sights and do dang near every substory you can. They are funny as hell. And of course the pro-tip, you make two moves in the main quest you'll probably advance a chapter.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Oh wow I didn't know they already announced Kiwami 2. Dat high res Kiryu :magical:

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
I just got 950 for Haruka doing the Otometal song. Goddamn. The final two tasks were cake compared to that.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I just finished Yakuza 4 yesterday, but somehow fell into some black hole and played 14.5 hours of 5 today. I normally don't game-binge to that extent..

The ending of the first chapter was a hell of a thing, in several ways.

I was thinking about it and I've played about 180 hours of Yakuza games this year.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

GlenMR posted:

I just got 950 for Haruka doing the Otometal song. Goddamn. The final two tasks were cake compared to that.

That last pool challenge can go gently caress itself. On the bright side, I can't believe they made the batting cage challenges so tame this time around.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I want a Kiryu Everywhere system where he gives you random advice.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

TheLoser posted:

That last pool challenge can go gently caress itself. On the bright side, I can't believe they made the batting cage challenges so tame this time around.

Yeah that was nasty too. I think I was finished after four tries, but I had a couple of bullshit shots go my way.

This is only my second Yakuza game, and the first one I've been to the batting cages for, so I've got no comparison. The "Hit two panels ten times" challenge seems pretty irritating though.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
In Kiwami, that Snake Flower Triad guy followed by gun kata guy have made for two of the worst boss fights in the series. Still, no one has surpassed the last boss of 4.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Shimano is a bad boss fight but it's nowhere near as bad is Saejima vs prison guard dude when you have no items or skills, or the final boss fight against a bunch of SWAT dudes and the chief of police in 4.
Hahaha, oh man, I'd completely forgotten baton man when Saejima plays so completely different from the others (though by the end of 5 he was absolutely my favourite dude) but the same poo poo was the problem for that; no slack

also its a bit embarrassing but the only yakuza game I've finished is 3. Somehow, there's always another new game or I get stuck trying to 100% poo poo and then lose patience (oh gooodddss, that loving hostess game, the sewer in dead souls or the loving sports things in 5)

0 had me stop at my inability to beat the dude at Outrun, which in a way was a drat shame because I was really liking it

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Saito is a prick and Hamazaki deserved to die to a better antagonist

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Capsaicin posted:

Oh god, just wait until you meet Majima.

Reached him last night, his opening scene/fight was amazing.

Edit: This game is also making me really want to learn how to actually play mahjong/shogi instead of just losing money at it.

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 18, 2017

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV9RrdIUpTI

I remembered this video today so here's your occasional reminder that it's a travesty that Haruka doesn't get a chance to be like Uncle Kaz.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

majima everywhere is getting crazy

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

RandallODim posted:

I remembered this video today so here's your occasional reminder that it's a travesty that Haruka doesn't get a chance to be like Uncle Kaz.
I think we had a, poo poo was he Zainichi or just a Hapa? Copguy in 4? but not a woman

But that's an old talk here. Haruka anyway is an avowed pacifist for some dang ole reason so she'd never do it

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Finally fired this up and I'm glad to be back :unsmith:

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Man, Saejima's part of Yakuza 5 is... weird. In multiple ways.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Walking past some stores, you hear the music from the cabaret mini game from 0 :rms:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I really miss Kiryu's old finisher Heat action from 4; there's something visceral about the close-up of him stomping on a dude's face forever. The face punch just doesn't do it for me in the same way, I dunno.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

What do the ! on the buttons in mesuking sometimes mean? Just had a battle where there were ! and !! on all of the other guy's options.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Am I crazy or did that new Hokuto Ga Gotoku trailer confirm a hostess club management minigame?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

History Comes Inside! posted:

What do the ! on the buttons in mesuking sometimes mean? Just had a battle where there were ! and !! on all of the other guy's options.

I have no evidence of this but I think it means they're trying to use their strongest attack

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

CharlestonJew posted:

I have no evidence of this but I think it means they're trying to use their strongest attack

I thought it might be this but sometimes the ! is on one of their normal attacks and sometimes it's on an attack they don't actually use that turn and other times it's 2 with ! and one with !! which still doesn't seem to line up with the outcome of the turn.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm pretty sure it's got something to do with the moves that have special effects

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Captain Walker posted:

I really miss Kiryu's old finisher Heat action from 4; there's something visceral about the close-up of him stomping on a dude's face forever. The face punch just doesn't do it for me in the same way, I dunno.

The one with the expanded version where he follows it up with a two-foot stomp on the dude's face and upper chest? Yeah, that really was superior to the face punch.

tap my mountain posted:

Am I crazy or did that new Hokuto Ga Gotoku trailer confirm a hostess club management minigame?

Yes. Yes it did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTMVfahkgNA

If this game doesn't get localized it will be a crime against me personally.

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

RandallODim posted:

easily the most rad thing i've seen all day. I've played a lot of yakuza but i don't remember just punching a dude on the phone in the face (1:18) that seems a little out of no where.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Hibbloes posted:

easily the most rad thing i've seen all day. I've played a lot of yakuza but i don't remember just punching a dude on the phone in the face (1:18) that seems a little out of no where.

Yakuza 5 had the guys who would call for back up. You could just beat them up or you could use that heat action to stop them.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

RandallODim posted:

The one with the expanded version where he follows it up with a two-foot stomp on the dude's face and upper chest? Yeah, that really was superior to the face punch.

Yes. Yes it did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTMVfahkgNA

If this game doesn't get localized it will be a crime against me personally.

Is it literally called Hokuto ga Gotoku? Cuz that makes it sound like (and it looks like) a RGG game with a licence. I mean, people are hoping for that anyway, but I mean that literally. Like it's just Yakuza 0 but with a Hokuto no Ken skin.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Gaz-L posted:

Is it literally called Hokuto ga Gotoku? Cuz that makes it sound like (and it looks like) a RGG game with a licence. I mean, people are hoping for that anyway, but I mean that literally. Like it's just Yakuza 0 but with a Hokuto no Ken skin.

Kenshiro is voiced by Takaya Kuroda. It is literally Yakuza of the North Star.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

All the voices are provided by actors that do Yakuza voices

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

tap my mountain posted:

All the voices are provided by actors that do Yakuza voices

Largely thematically appropriate Yakuza VAs, no less; Kazuhiro Nakaya (Nishki) is Shin, Hidenari Ugaki (Majima) is Jagi, Shunsuke Sakuya (Kashiwagi) is Toki. They haven't announced Koichi Yamadera (Akiyama) as anyone yet, but I can only believe it's just a matter of time.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I'm flabbergasted at how a game of semi-nude insect fighters brings children together.

Need to brush up on my parental instincts.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm flabbergasted at how a game of semi-nude insect fighters brings children together.

Need to brush up on my parental instincts.

I think it's supposed to be this is what video games look like to adults. For the kids it's all innocent fun but dad is like "why is it just big titty ladies fighting each other :wtc:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

atholbrose posted:

Brother, Saejima's brother part of Yakuza 5 is... Brotherly. In multiple brother ways.
I agree, brother.

Now let's go shoot animals and beat up bears!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Zerilan posted:

Just to warn you- the game's story apparently has a bunch of anticlimactic payoffs. Which is a shame because the first Kuze fight pumped me up SO HARD.