Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

And that's probably why Obsidian has such a loyal fanbase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

(((gnomes))) did nothing wrong

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

only good gnome is a dead gnome

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
sure come and kill the gnomes, they just have an army of half-ogre bodyguards defending them :smug:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Iretep posted:

sure come and kill the gnomes, they just have an army of half-ogre bodyguards defending them :smug:

lol like they got poo poo on harm

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 18, 2017

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

basic hitler posted:

And that's probably why Obsidian has such a loyal fanbase

i would kill if lord feargus demanded it

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Agean90 posted:

Extremely unfortunate too considering its a literally conspiracy to defile women by a minority known for running banks

Gnomes aren't really a minority though. They were the social elite before humans started gaining power, and they still hold most of the important political positions in Tarant by the time the game takes place.

In general, I think Arcanum's races map more closely to social classes than race or religion. Gnomes are old money, humans are the nouveau riche, and Half-Orcs (and to a lesser extent Half-Ogres) are the working class.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Major tip for anyone playing Arcanum is to freely switch between rtwp and turn-based mode depending on which is less annoying for whatever you're fighting.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Are there any D&D-ish RPGs like Way of the Samurai?

It was a PS2 game built around high reactivity and high replayability. You'd finish in less than a few hours, but since it was like an incredibly intricate 'choose your own adventure' narrative, I went all completionist and replayed it many times. It owned pretty hard.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I've heard Tyranny is a bit like that- 30 or so hours long with a lot of reactivity to encourage repeat playthroughs. I haven't played it yet but I've heard comparisons to Alpha Protocol

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Autonomous Monster posted:

Not me, I just wanted to play build-your-own Power Armour/spider-shaped robo-buddy. And the game delivered in spades.

Honestly, I was amazed to discovered that magic was considered so much stronger than tech. I'd found the pyrotechnic axe schematic early on and that just about broke the game in half. That plus Dog* plus the ocean of xp you're drowning in from the word go. The idea that the game could be even easier blew my tiny child mind.

*That ain't no goddamn Dogmeat expy, that's a loving wanamingo in disguise.

I hope it's something cool and new!

And that they have someone else doing the system design. I love those guys, but, uh...

Both magic and Tech completely broke the game, but Tech required you doing specific side quests and finding hidden chambers without any foreshadowing. Magic required you... taking magic stuff.

Tech was also unintuitive, because most of the best early game techs were the same crap you usually see in magic weapons - flaming swords (the axe from the hidden lair in the first town is ungodly for a good portion of the game) and stat boosting items. It doesn't feel any different from magic, really, until you get to build your own companions, which also required a ton of work and side quests to even get the schematics for. To break the game with Magic you just had to level up.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Yall are making want to play arcanum again, whats a good build for a half orc. Im gonna be fantasy lenin :ussr:

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

2house2fly posted:

I've heard Tyranny is a bit like that- 30 or so hours long with a lot of reactivity to encourage repeat playthroughs. I haven't played it yet but I've heard comparisons to Alpha Protocol

Yeah they talked about Way of the Samurai being an inspiration for Alpha Protocol.

The new ending options they patched in for Tyranny in the latest patch are -good- and was what I was trying to go for on my initial playthrough.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Alpha Protocol is much more like Way of the Samurai than Tyranny - it only ever moves forward and is pretty compact, whereas Tyranny is pretty standard for IE games in terms of pacing and doubling back to areas you've already been for side content.

King of Dragon Pass is really math heavy but is closer in spirit than whatever Tyranny is supposed to be getting at

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
The proest strat for an Arcanum early tech user was to get the Molotov blueprint and just go loving apeshit with them. Rags could be found in every trash can in the kingdom and fuel could be bought cheap in every store. Start a fight and immediately just start hurling Molotovs by the literal dozen.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Alpha Protocol owned. Not surprised to see it was also developed by Obsidian

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Agean90 posted:

Yall are making want to play arcanum again, whats a good build for a half orc. Im gonna be fantasy lenin :ussr:

i would suggest using some kind of sword

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.

funmanguy posted:

That poor chrome skeleton being forced to cycle forever, instead of in his natural habitat in a dungeon or sewer of somesort.

If Dark Souls has taught me anything, it is that skeletons loving LOVE being attached to wheels, rolling around.

They also love sharing this wheel-attachment. With your organs.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Hawgh posted:

If Dark Souls has taught me anything, it is that skeletons loving LOVE being attached to wheels, rolling around.

They also love sharing this wheel-attachment. With your organs.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

i love it when people beat me to posting kill 6 billion demons.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

i would suggest using some kind of sword

:hai:

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.

I wanna say blacksmithing & electricity.....smithing? One gives access to a light sword really early, and the other some easily crafted rings that give +2 speed each.

:ese:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
if youre a good guy you dont really need to level smithing or whatever if you just want early game stuff since the first dwarf companion can smith most of the good early game weapons.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Things in Arcanum that matter in combat:

High speed on weapons (though you want damage to be high enough to still not suffer from limitations)
Strength over 20
The most dexterity you can have
Enough willpower not to be KO'd
Harm

Until late game, guns are dogshit, and for bows and non-molotov based throwing, there is no "late game" to stop them from being dogshit. Ranged attacks outside of magic are essentially always a bad idea. Tech, likewise, is absolutely pathetic compared to magic, in literally every single way, save one: getting money. Which doesn't matter to magic because magic doesn't have to buy a trillion bullets and schematics and components, so it goes back to magic being better in every way. Even worse, because of how tech vs magic works (if you have a higher rating , the opposite is less effective; extreme magicians aren't hurt as bad by tech), and the fact that there's almost no high tech enemies, and loving nonstop high magic enemies, tech gets even WORSE. Oh wait, except bad guys almost never cast spells because the AI is hosed, so your awesome magic resistance thanks to your high tech score only works on your companions trying to buff and heal you. Fantastic!

Strength and speed essentially shatter the game entirely. Speed is literally just how often you can attack, which, as you can imagine, is pretty drat important, and it is! It's the most important stat in the game bar none, for everyone, forever. Strength is second most important because of how absolutely stupidly strength is added to damage and how it scales. Namely, it's normally +1 for every point of strength above 10...except once you hit 20, it retroactively becomes +2, and guess what, adding +20 to your attack damage is the biggest damage buff in the entire game. This is the secret to the Balanced Sword and it's supreme power in the early game - it's got ok damage, but it's speed is 23, meaning you can attack with it several times more then other weapons. Adding that strength bonus to every single attack.

"Cirno what about the other stats?" Well there's Charisma, which effects how many companions you can have! The others? They do nothing. loving nothing. Beauty changes your reaction modifier which literally effects MAYBE 1% of the game at best. Perception does actually nothing, other then serve as an EXP sponge for ranged characters, because yeah they sure needed to be even worse. THere's like, one area where high intelligence matters (statue quest in Ashbury), and you can drink a potion to bump your Int up - the dude sells them literally just around the corner. The non-dex stats largely only matter if you're making a character that requires that stat as a pre-requisite.

Of course, high speed high strength melee is so ungodly powerful that a lot of this doesn't even matter. People talk up how powerful Dog is, but consider: All Dog is, is a PC with high strength, high speed, a strong melee weapon, and the two melee skills. That's it. That's all it takes to dominate the game entirely.

Arcanum has brilliance to it's writing, but it's mechanics are an absolutely horrendous mess that was inexcusable when it came out, and has only aged worse. I would say they're half-finished at best, but what WAS finished was so bad they'd have to rip it all out and start over again anyways if they wanted to fix it.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 19, 2017

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

ProfessorCirno posted:

Things in Arcanum that matter in combat:

High speed on weapons (though you want damage to be high enough to still not suffer from limitations)
Strength over 20
The most dexterity you can have
Enough willpower not to be KO'd
Harm

thanks for these write-ups on game mechanics, even if they're horrible

I'll probably try an Arcanum run as half ogre and try to murder everyone I see using melee weapons

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

*Extremely grog voice* single player game balance isn't real

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

frajaq posted:

thanks for these write-ups on game mechanics, even if they're horrible

I'll probably try an Arcanum run as half ogre and try to murder everyone I see using melee weapons

If you take the Circus Strongman background with half-ogre, your intelligence is low enough to turn your dialogue into :downswords:, much to the frustration of your starting companion.
EDIT: It's this LP, but Arcanum instead of Fallout 2.

ProfessorCirno posted:

"Cirno what about the other stats?" Well there's Charisma, which effects how many companions you can have! The others? They do nothing. loving nothing. Beauty changes your reaction modifier which literally effects MAYBE 1% of the game at best. Perception does actually nothing, other then serve as an EXP sponge for ranged characters, because yeah they sure needed to be even worse. THere's like, one area where high intelligence matters (statue quest in Ashbury), and you can drink a potion to bump your Int up - the dude sells them literally just around the corner. The non-dex stats largely only matter if you're making a character that requires that stat as a pre-requisite.

I thought spells had Intelligence pre-reqs? Or is that only the high-level spells?

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 19, 2017

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I mean, here's the catch: Arcanum is easy. Very, very easy. The AI just straight up doesn't function - the only commands AI ever seem to have are "rush the enemy and melee them," unless they're already actively HOLDING a ranged weapon, but then, ranged weapons are terrible. Yes, even scrawny-rear end mages are going to run at you and try to feebly pummel you with their nonexisting melee skills rather then actually cast spells. Beyond that, even if you don't get Dog, itemization in Arcanum is berserk, and well equipped companions can essentially clear the game for you.

So in Arcanum you actually can play (almost) whatever character you want. Not because they're all good, but because Arcanum is broken in so many ways that it doesn't actually matter.

That said, if you wanted to truly be a singular god who turns Arcanum into a wasteland and who can slay anything with ease, and conquer all obstacles, you want a mage/warrior with max strength and dex, good willpower, and the spells Fireflash, Harm, Minor Heal, and the entirety of the absolutely hilariously unfair Time college. That said, not combat-based, but also take the Conveyance college, for Unlock Cantrip and Teleport. This is entirely needless, but hey, if you want to be an allmighty immortal murderous godling, this is how you do it.

Two things I forgot to mention. First is DR, which is huge, and one of the reasons half-ogres are so incredible. DR, or Damage Resistance, reduces all damage you take by itself as a percentage. That is to say, half-ogres start the game by default taking 90% damage from everything. Put on a ring of protection? 80%. Two rings? Every single thing in the game is now only dealing 70% damage to you. That's with two items.

Second is damage bonus caps. So, in an attempt to try to willow down the power of Speed, weapons have a "cap" on how much extra damage they do based on their minimum and maximum damage. Basically, your minimum damage cannot go above the weapon's default max damage, and your weapon's max damage cannot go above 3x it's default max damage. If you have a sword that does 5-10 damage, and you have strength 20 (aka +20 damage), your attacks with it will do between 25 and 30 damage - as you can see, that's a massive upgrade! On the other hand, if you were to raise your strength to 25 through items and backgrounds (aka +30 damage), your weapon will do exactly 30 damage every single time you hit, because 30 is it's max damage cap. Some of that strength is being wasted in the max damage, though of course, raising the minimum damage isn't a bad thing.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

SirPhoebos posted:

I thought spells had Intelligence pre-reqs? Or is that only the high-level spells?

Yes. Like I say, stats beyond Dex/Str/Cha only exist for the sake of pre-reqs. Only Dex/Str/Cha have meaningful effects on your character outside of skill requirements.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

I mean, here's the catch: Arcanum is easy. Very, very easy.
Spoken like someone who knew enough going in not to bring a melee focused character to bear against the rock golems

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
said dwarf companion that can smith things actually can make indistructable pyrothenic axes that hurt rock golems pretty well.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

The most challenging part of Arcanum is actually looking at it. Christ, my eyes hurt just remembering it.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

So in Arcanum you actually can play (almost) whatever character you want. Not because they're all good, but because Arcanum is broken in so many ways that it doesn't actually matter.
BG1/2 work in similar ways. every class has some weird feature that allows you to steamroll. I mean it isn't as egregiously unbalanced as arcanum or morrowind but they're up there. I like that about games and hope PoE2 has more of it. Having unbalanced parts in the players favor is fun

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 238 days!

ProfessorCirno posted:

I mean, here's the catch: Arcanum is easy. Very, very easy. The AI just straight up doesn't function - the only commands AI ever seem to have are "rush the enemy and melee them," unless they're already actively HOLDING a ranged weapon, but then, ranged weapons are terrible. Yes, even scrawny-rear end mages are going to run at you and try to feebly pummel you with their nonexisting melee skills rather then actually cast spells. Beyond that, even if you don't get Dog, itemization in Arcanum is berserk, and well equipped companions can essentially clear the game for you.

That said, if you wanted to truly be a singular god who turns Arcanum into a wasteland and who can slay anything with ease, and conquer all obstacles, you want a mage/warrior with max strength and dex, good willpower, and the spells Fireflash, Harm, Minor Heal, and the entirety of the absolutely hilariously unfair Time college. That said, not combat-based, but also take the Conveyance college, for Unlock Cantrip and Teleport. This is entirely needless, but hey, if you want to be an allmighty immortal murderous godling, this is how you do it.

Two things I forgot to mention. First is DR, which is huge, and one of the reasons half-ogres are so incredible. DR, or Damage Resistance, reduces all damage you take by itself as a percentage. That is to say, half-ogres start the game by default taking 90% damage from everything. Put on a ring of protection? 80%. Two rings? Every single thing in the game is now only dealing 70% damage to you. That's with two items.

Second is damage bonus caps. So, in an attempt to try to willow down the power of Speed, weapons have a "cap" on how much extra damage they do based on their minimum and maximum damage. Basically, your minimum damage cannot go above the weapon's default max damage, and your weapon's max damage cannot go above 3x it's default max damage. If you have a sword that does 5-10 damage, and you have strength 20 (aka +20 damage), your attacks with it will do between 25 and 30 damage - as you can see, that's a massive upgrade! On the other hand, if you were to raise your strength to 25 through items and backgrounds (aka +30 damage), your weapon will do exactly 30 damage every single time you hit, because 30 is it's max damage cap. Some of that strength is being wasted in the max damage, though of course, raising the minimum damage isn't a bad thing.

With Time spells, you could say victory is... historically inevitable.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Actually, harm is boring and lugging around a bunch of scrap and schematics so that you can build an army of spider robots and tesla guns is extremely ftw.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Gosh, I really miss how in old CRPGs there was a possibility to KILL YOURSELF on a critical miss :gibs:

No auto-saves either :suicide:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Is there a place I can go to read about how gear progression works in this game?

Does your party keep getting cooler and better loot throughout the whole game, or can you get all the gear you need relatively early on, then enchant all of it with better and better enchantments as the game progresses? Basically, does this game have a gear upgrade path at all or is it more about upgrading your character builds?

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
https://twitter.com/WorldofEternity/status/910257802869743616

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Basic Chunnel posted:

*Extremely grog voice* single player game balance isn't real

*in equally grog voice* fart fart faaaaaaart everything other than baldurs gate is trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

Is there a place I can go to read about how gear progression works in this game?

Does your party keep getting cooler and better loot throughout the whole game, or can you get all the gear you need relatively early on, then enchant all of it with better and better enchantments as the game progresses? Basically, does this game have a gear upgrade path at all or is it more about upgrading your character builds?

A bit of both. All weapons can be enchanted using materials you find and gold but you can find weapons that already have those enchantments as well as artifact weapons that come with unique effects and can get the same quality upgrades all other weapons get.

• Locked thread