Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

You're right, FF9 is the beginning of 15 years of bad FF games, including FF10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's nothing I love more than Hot Takes about final Fantasy

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

In Training posted:

There's nothing I love more than Hot Takes about final Fantasy

Then you're gonna love me.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

U-DO Burger posted:

Coming off of Xenogears I thought both Kuja and Ultimecia were pretty meh as far as villains go :shrug:

Kuja is one of my favourite villains in the series. I hated him when the game came out because I was 15 and not smart enough to read him beyond 'flouncy and annoying', but he's got a surprisingly deep backstory and gets one of the best character arcs and plot motivations an FF villain has ever gotten.

FF9 is one of those games I always recommend you go back and play as an adult, if you were a kid when you last played it. It's straight-up great, but not so much on a teenager's surface read.

Schremp Howard posted:

Triple Triad owns.

Yeah, the only real black mark on FF9 is that it replaced the amazing Triple Triad with the terrible Tetra Master, a card game decided by random invisible dice rolls.

Faux Mulder fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 20, 2017

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Triple Triad owns. Also Binding of Isaac isn't available digitally in the US and I am displeased.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Schremp Howard posted:

Triple Triad owns.

Better than Gwent.

U-DO Burger posted:

Coming off of Xenogears I thought both Kuja and Ultimecia were pretty meh as far as villains go :shrug:

I'd agree with this, Xenogears, however truncated, is better than both 8 and 9, and the villains in that game had interesting motivations.

Another Hot Pocket from beanpole

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My FF hot take is that XIII is my second favorite in the series

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

In Training posted:

My FF hot take is that XIII is my second favorite in the series

It's got good battle music.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Schremp Howard posted:

Triple Triad owns. Also Binding of Isaac isn't available digitally in the US and I am displeased.

Same. They said it would be released as digital too and never mentioned a delay between the versions so this is pretty annoying

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

glam rock hamhock posted:

Same. They said it would be released as digital too and never mentioned a delay between the versions so this is pretty annoying

It sounds like it's a mess up on Sony's side; it's up in the EU for instance.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Also, the Undertale dynamic theme is now available to buy on its own. It's pretty nice

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

You're right, FF9 is the beginning of 15 years of bad FF games, including FF10.

not just including ff10 but ff10 is the worst ff game ever, with ffxv second worst

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H47ow4_Cmk0

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

lol @ anyone that posts the Tidus laugh thing as a criticism of FF10, that's my Final Fantasy opinion

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

homeless snail posted:

lol @ anyone that posts the Tidus laugh thing as a criticism of FF10, that's my Final Fantasy opinion

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have never played a final fantasy game at all ever. HTH

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
You know, I actually appreciate when people make long posts about why they like stuff, and I'd hate to discourage that.

I say bring on more posts like that one about FF9. Gimme a thousand words on why Final Fantasy Mystic Quest actually owns! (I've never played Mystic Quest)

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Every final fantasy is special in its own way

Except FF2, gently caress that one

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I think saying that FF7 had aged really well is way weirder than disliking FF9

Vakal
May 11, 2008
If FF8 would have just been about the adventures of Laguna, Kiros, and Ward. I don't think anyone here would argue that it would have been the best game in the series hands down.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

Every final fantasy is special in its own way

Except FF2, gently caress that one

I like FF2

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

FF2 gave us SaGa, therefore I'm obligated to love it.

Any other FF game is scored on the scale of high fantasy versus semi-modern stuff with some magic going on maybe.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The Arkham games are on sale; I know Knight's execution on PC is a coin toss, even after patching, but how is it on the PS4? :tenbux: is a very interesting price.

Might fetch Asscreed Syndicate too since I'm a peasant with no taste.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I mean it works unlike the PC version. It's the worst Arkham game but it's not awful or anything either.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Nickoten posted:

You know, I actually appreciate when people make long posts about why they like stuff, and I'd hate to discourage that.

I say bring on more posts like that one about FF9. Gimme a thousand words on why Final Fantasy Mystic Quest actually owns! (I've never played Mystic Quest)

Mystic Quest is a fun but incredibly basic game. Personally I think it’s worth a play through and does some neat things (weapons being overworld tools, enemies changing sprites when they’re almost dead, every enemy in the game is a static kill-once tile on the map, legendary music) but really just feels like an average SNES JRPG overall.

E: For $10 Arkham Knight is totally worth it. It’s my favorite of the series now, though Asylum still holds up really well.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Nickoten posted:

The occasional long post expounding on a well-formed opinion is a good thing. If people don't like it they're not obligated to read it.

And sometimes the opposite is also true. Sometimes an opinion is so sensible and straightforward that it requires nothing to back it up. In those cases, short posts are also good.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

FFX sucks.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have never played a final fantasy game at all ever. HTH

You're not missing much.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah it does lol. But not because of the Tidus laugh, I actually really like his and Yuna's melodramatic romance, along with the whole cast being pretty fun. The world is also bizarre and beautiful, and the FMV coming out of a PS2 blew my drat mind. It's the game play that smells like buffalo diarrhea and tastes even worse. What were they thinking.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Doorknob Slobber posted:

not just including ff10 but ff10 is the worst ff game ever, with ffxv second worst

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H47ow4_Cmk0

FF15's disjointed as gently caress, but it's a beautiful game to look at and listen to, and its battle system is fun as hell.

glam rock hamhock posted:

Honestly I think saying that FF7 had aged really well is way weirder than disliking FF9

It's a really fun game, and it's graphics in many ways hold up better than 8 or 9. There's a cleanness to the polygons and the weird animations that still looks bright and distinct, and even though I will definitely play Remake...I don't think the game ever needed a remake.

This article sums up my feelings about 7 pretty well, but most of these feelings cropped up while reading Elentor's FF7 LP over the last few years.

Vakal posted:

If FF8 would have just been about the adventures of Laguna, Kiros, and Ward. I don't think anyone here would argue that it would have been the best game in the series hands down.

Laguna's battle music fuckin owns

Sarchasm posted:

FFX sucks.

:mmmhmm:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Vakal posted:

This is the FF equivalent of saying MGS2 was ruined by Raiden being the main character.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Mystic Quest is a very flawed game but it probably has the best soundtrack in the whole series which is a pretty big thing given the series but man it just fuckin owns. Like as much as I love me the FFIV boss music, it still has nothing on the 16 bit metal glory of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUGDp39srk0

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

In Training posted:

Yeah it does lol. But not because of the Tidus laugh, I actually really like his and Yuna's melodramatic romance, along with the whole cast being pretty fun. The world is also bizarre and beautiful, and the FMV coming out of a PS2 blew my drat mind. It's the game play that smells like buffalo diarrhea and tastes even worse. What were they thinking.
Of all things to hate about FFX, you pick the battle system? It is literally just regular ATB set to wait and with the ability to switch out characters at will, which is pretty great and makes for actually engaging and strategic fights?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ffx is top 5 ff

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FFX is the best FF

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Was FFX the first one to get a sequel, or was it FFVII?

I always thought it was weird that the only pre-PS era game to get a sequel was FFIV when we all know that FFVI is pretty much considered either the best or second-best FF of them all, but given the quality of most FF sequels that might be a blessing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Wolfsheim posted:

I always thought it was weird that the only pre-PS era game to get a sequel was FFIV when we all know that FFVI is pretty much considered either the best or second-best FF of them all, but given the quality of most FF sequels that might be a blessing.

X was first. Dissidia is a prequel to 1 or something, I forget.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wolfsheim posted:

Yeah FFX was the first because that was when they got bought out by Enix

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Wolfsheim posted:

how pedantic do you want to get

Final Fantasy Legend got a sequel in '91 though technically it's not an actual sequel and also it was SaGa in Japan

Final Fantasy Adventure got a sequel in '93, though the first game (Final Fantasy Gaiden: Seiken Denetsu) kept the FF branding, whereas the sequel dropped it and it was simply Seiken Denetsu 2.

of course both of those weren't the mainline console games soi the first one to get a sequel was FFX.

tbf though, FF2 and 3 really aren't well known enough on their own for sequels, and it'd be kinda weird to get ones for FF, FFV, and even FFVI where those stories end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

exploded mummy posted:

tbf though, FF2 and 3 really aren't well known enough on their own for sequels, and it'd be kinda weird to get ones for FF, FFV, and even FFVI where those stories end.

I mean, IV and VII ended pretty definitively and they pumped out some garbage sequels for those so :shrug:

I never played FFX but I heard the girl band sequel was pretty good?