Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TenCentFang posted:

The reversal on what counts as good Dragon Ball has always saddened me. I liked when Broly was the coolest character ever. Also, Super is bad.

It's true, the coolest character was the one whose motivation was literally "a baby cried too much next to me when I was a baby." Why can't characters have that kind of deep and detailed writing now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Josuke Higashikata posted:

And who exactly put Gohan in the oven all those years ago????
Yamcha.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Gohan really needed to keep his 12 year old hair style.

Or the Future Gohan look.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Burkion posted:

Gohan really needed to keep his 12 year old hair style.

Or the Future Gohan look.

Gohan was smart enough to know that mullets were on the way out.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Kashuno posted:

why does Kale turn white when she powers up

Saiyan super(wo)men are our superiors.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

ImpAtom posted:

It's true, the coolest character was the one whose motivation was literally "a baby cried too much next to me when I was a baby." Why can't characters have that kind of deep and detailed writing now?

I don't ask much from my fightman shows. Looking for deep and detailed writing in Dragon Ball is like looking for Christian allegory in Beyblade.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Kashuno posted:

I assume her skin is stretching out, though that's probably way more thought than they put into it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Neo_Crimson posted:

Gohan was smart enough to know that mullets were on the way out.

wasn't his 12 y/o style the one he had when he killed cell

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

TenCentFang posted:

Christian allegory in Beyblade.

Tell me more.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

TenCentFang posted:

I don't ask much from my fightman shows. Looking for deep and detailed writing in Dragon Ball is like looking for Christian allegory in Beyblade.

I hate to tell you this, but

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Manatee Cannon posted:

wasn't his 12 y/o style the one he had when he killed cell

Yeah, that's the one.

It's like, his only distinctive hair style.

Future Gohan basically has it, just shorter.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Burkion posted:

God I wish the DBZ wiki was as self aware and great as the Transformers wiki

Kale should really be labled "WE REALLY DON'T WANT TO ADMIT SHE'S THE LEGENDARY SSJ"

Bardock was the legendary super saiyan.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kashuno posted:

Goku is directly responsible for forcing most universes to literally fight or die. At least if Zeno just wiped them out he could’ve just done it while everyone was living their lives, not knowing their failure will be directly responsible for the deaths of trillions

This is a really weird way to rationalize that

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

deadly_pudding posted:

I hate to tell you this, but

That's Judaic, obviously.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

When I first got into DBZ like a decade or so ago, I didn't watch any of the movies or anime - both were no longer being broadcast with any regularity as far as I could tell - so my exposure to movie characters like Broly and all the filler anime stuff was purely through the video games. I thought Broly looked super cool because I was 12, but when I found out his motivation was revenge for having to listen to Goku cry, I thought that was brilliant. Why, building up a super tough overpowered villain like that and then giving him the most pathetic and silly motivation possible was Akira Toriyama as hell! Surely the movie was fantastic!

Anyway long story short many years later I finally saw, the movie, and they kept trying to play Broly straight even after the reveal, and it was bad and dumb. The lesson I've learned over the years is that all the anime, movie, and GT characters sound super awesome if you haven't actually seen any of that stuff, and I was a very lucky kid to be operating under the misguided assumption that the movie villains were cool for so long.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Kashuno posted:

I assumed it's just her fuckin ki glow brightening her features.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Dr. Wheelo is still cool :colbert:

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

TenCentFang posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtl-KV7rXlw&t=283s

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit consider that notice served

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zinkraptor posted:

Anyway long story short many years later I finally saw, the movie, and they kept trying to play Broly straight even after the reveal, and it was bad and dumb. The lesson I've learned over the years is that all the anime, movie, and GT characters sound super awesome if you haven't actually seen any of that stuff, and I was a very lucky kid to be operating under the misguided assumption that the movie villains were cool for so long.

The first Broly movie is still awesome, unironically, and also it introduced me to Pantera. After Bojack the films all start sucking really bad. Battle of the Gods was pretty good, but then the franchise resumed sucking.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That first Broly movie is bad and also propaganda for some weird cult the writer or someone was involved in.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 20, 2017

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Raxivace posted:

That first Broly movie is bad and also propaganda for some weird cult the writer or someone was involved in.

Well now you have to tell us that story :staredog:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think someone relayed the whole thing in either the last thread or the thread before that one but iirc it had something to do with hands?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I think Kakunsa was pretty cool because she went gao gao a lot

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

deadly_pudding posted:

Well now you have to tell us that story :staredog:
It's a little less exciting than it sounds, but someone on the staff (I think the main writer for the original 13 movies?) is big into Sukyo Mahikari. They have these weird beliefs about hands.

quote:

Sukyo Mahikari introduces a practice to purify one's spiritual aspect as an expedient toward attaining happiness. Radiating Light from the palm of the hand is a method of spiritual purification that cleanses the spirit, mind and body. It is said to help open the way to resolving all manner of problems. By purifying the spiritual aspect with the Light and leading a life based on principles of sustainability, people can revive their spirituality and attain increasing health, harmony and prosperity.

The transmission of Light is referred to as "the art of True Light." Through the palm of the hand, a person (the giver) radiates Light to another person (the receiver), allowing them to purify and revitalize their spirit, mind and body.
Consider how Broly is defeated- everyone sending their ki into Goku through their hands.

Another example might be the first Cooler movie where Goku brings a bird back to life by holding it.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raxivace posted:

Consider how Broly is defeated- everyone sending their ki into Goku through their hands.

Another example might be the first Cooler movie where Goku brings a bird back to life.

Both of those things are perfectly in line with DB canon.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The closest thing to that Broly scene is Super Saiyan God, which was conceived well after and doesn't even defeat Beerus.

As far as I can recall Goku doesn't have the power to bring dead animals back to life in the manga either.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Momomo posted:

Hey Dende does an alright job as guardian, he even powered the dragon up. If we wanna talk about poo poo management, that's entirely on Shin.

All I see is a box of bandaids with a butler.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Raxivace posted:

The closest thing to that Broly scene is Super Saiyan God, which was conceived well after and doesn't even defeat Beerus.

As far as I can recall Goku doesn't have the power to bring dead animals back to life in the manga either.

But he DOES have the power to read people's minds.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raxivace posted:

People were giving and absorbing energy constantly. Even if it was put in thinking of their weird religion, what does it even matter when it fits the universe like a glove and there's absolutely nothing in the film itself that'd make you think it was anything like that? If Toriyama was Christian you probably wouldn't call wishing people back to life Christian propaganda.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Wait outside of spirit bombs (and I think only the last one) when have people given energy?

That doesn't happen in DB outside SS Goku V Frieza

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

TenCentFang posted:

People were giving and absorbing energy constantly.
It wasn't depicted the same way as it was in the movies. It's not like, say, Frieza was defeated by Picollo getting Gohan and Krillin's energy.

quote:

Even if it was put in thinking of their weird religion, what does it even matter when it fits the universe like a glove and there's absolutely nothing in the film itself that'd make you think it was anything like that?
People have pointed out the bird thing for years at this point as a weird and funny thing from the movies. Even the Broly ending stood out as a little strange to me and my friends when we were young- that Broly would suddenly be defeated by the combined ki of several half dead guys .

Knowing the writer's religious beliefs only contextualizes these elements.

quote:

If Toriyama was Christian you probably wouldn't call wishing people back to life Christian propaganda.
Are gathering seven magical orbs to summon a dragon a tenent of Christianity?

I might convert if that were the case!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Wait outside of spirit bombs (and I think only the last one) when have people given energy?

That doesn't happen in DB outside SS Goku V Frieza

Piccolo gets energy from Krillin and Gohan when he goes up against Frieza to help give Goku spirit bomb time.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's just a weird thing to criticize the movie over. Bottomline, it's better than people give it credit for these days.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Hm...Dragonball, Dragonball Z, Dragonball Super, and all the movies, are...enjoyable.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Broly? Nah it basically is the perfect example of why the movies tend to be bad.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kashuno posted:

Hm...Dragonball, Dragonball Z, Dragonball Super, and all the movies, are...enjoyable.

The movies are garbage

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Dragon Ball is good.

Dragon Ball Z is mostly good. Cell from Imperfect Cell onwards is loving dire.

Dragon Ball Super is also good.

About...three movies are good.

DB Wiki is bad.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Cell struggles because he starts out with a goal but once he reached it he has nothing else to do.

So they slap a generic goal on him and shrug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Souls in hell getting purified and reincarnated into newborns sounds pretty Buddhist to me!