Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Quite the opposite friend, I'm saying the link is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FilthyImp posted:

Please dont linkshame.

:gowron:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I never got Tasha's plan in unification. They stole vulcan ships, but the ships are clearly seen emerging from romulan space with a fake message saying it's a peace envoy. Vulcan would know they didn't have any ships scheduled to come back, everyone would assume they are romulan ships so making them stolen vulcan ships just makes it more suspicious, no one on either side was ever supposed to think they were legit vulcan ships so why bother? And why the hell do the Romulans need this whole ruse in the first place to just get past federation borders, if only the romulans had some sort of technology that allowed them to sneak past borders!! Their invasion force was 2000 people, to secure a planet of billions. They could have ridden up in some cloaked warbirds and landed the troops that way, warbirds are huge and a single one of them could easily transport 2000 troops. If the element of surprise is all they need to invade a planet and get "dug in" then the romulans could have conquered half the federation by now by rolling up with a fleet of cloaked warbirds and unloading troops before anyone know's what's up.

I know trek doesn't have any sense of scale, but 2000 people securing an entire planet seems nuts.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Baronjutter posted:

I never got Tasha's plan in unification. They stole vulcan ships, but the ships are clearly seen emerging from romulan space with a fake message saying it's a peace envoy. Vulcan would know they didn't have any ships scheduled to come back, everyone would assume they are romulan ships so making them stolen vulcan ships just makes it more suspicious, no one on either side was ever supposed to think they were legit vulcan ships so why bother? And why the hell do the Romulans need this whole ruse in the first place to just get past federation borders, if only the romulans had some sort of technology that allowed them to sneak past borders!! Their invasion force was 2000 people, to secure a planet of billions. They could have ridden up in some cloaked warbirds and landed the troops that way, warbirds are huge and a single one of them could easily transport 2000 troops. If the element of surprise is all they need to invade a planet and get "dug in" then the romulans could have conquered half the federation by now by rolling up with a fleet of cloaked warbirds and unloading troops before anyone know's what's up.

I know trek doesn't have any sense of scale, but 2000 people securing an entire planet seems nuts.

Given how stupid the plan is, I have to assume it was a "The Defector" style scheme by one faction in the Romulan senate to discredit Sela's faction. Which seems to have worked, given that we never see Sela again on the show.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Uhura and Chekov topped out at Commander on screen

Bones eventually got the top rank when he was seen as an admiral on TNG.

Though , isn't a Commander (rank) with their own ship technically a captain (but not the actual rank)?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Vulcans are logical and intelligent.

They are well prepared for any logical and intelligent plan.

So you'd better try something else instead.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

feedmegin posted:

Though , isn't a Commander (rank) with their own ship technically a captain (but not the actual rank)?

Yeah, captain is a rank and a station and you can have both, one or the other (or neither obv)

Same with commander I'd assume as DS9 station commander was a post in addition to being Sisko's rank at the outset.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

feedmegin posted:

The Bloop already got this, but I want to add that you don't have to be a specific rank to captain a vessel.

And we never saw Uhura or Chekov given command of their own starships. (although if I remember right she took command of the Enterprise in one of the animated episodes...)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

The Bloop already got this, but I want to add that you don't have to be a specific rank to captain a vessel.

And we never saw Uhura or Chekov given command of their own starships. (although if I remember right she took command of the Enterprise in one of the animated episodes...)

"The Lorelei Signal", a truly great work of speculative fiction art. The Enterprise is lured to a planet by magical music which makes men retarded, so that its male crew members can be abducted by the planet's native women and their life force stolen to keep the women from growing old. So Uhura and Chapel beam down and motherfucking shoot their way out. It turns out that so far from the women being evil, this planet just makes you old, so Uhura whistles up a ship crewed exclusively by women (I guess starfleet just has some of these flying around!) to pick them up and colonize them somewhere else. Written by the same lady who wrote the episode where Kirk marries an Indian.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Uhura and the female crew had to take over in a TAS episode where the men folk were being subjected to Space Sirens who were sapping their vital energies or some crap. Spock held out longer because of his Vulcan physiology and volcel powers. (They disported themselves efficiently and saved the day.)

The terms of that article specifically said "first black lead on Star Trek," though if it wasn't for the rest of the article completely ignoring DS9 I would assume they meant black woman.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jng2058 posted:

Given how stupid the plan is, I have to assume it was a "The Defector" style scheme by one faction in the Romulan senate to discredit Sela's faction. Which seems to have worked, given that we never see Sela again on the show.

Was she ever in any expanded universe stuff? I assume she must have been.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think she's boss of one of the very important and galactically pivotal Romulan refugee factions in Star Trek Online, since they could afford her for voicework

Orv
May 4, 2011
Speaking of, the newest content for STO has Geordi.

Captain Geordi LaForge.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
https://talkiesnetwork.com/2017/09/20/star-trek-discovery-premiere-earns-positive-reactions/

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

quote:

While fans have been skeptical of the new series due to it seemingly shaking up the Star Trek lore and setting as fans know it,

That's... not a reason fans are skeptical.

The positive reactions are encouraging, though.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Yeah the whole article has this weird feel. I get the sense CBS bought it and paid a bunch of celebrities that are "hip with the nerds" to say nice things about it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It could be game of thrones and I still wouldn't pay for a streaming service that caps at 720

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
If Discovery ends up being good, hell yeah, give me that good stuff. But the behind the scenes reports were not bolstering confidence.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/tc4949/status/910372661326381056

Lol, come on.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Orv posted:

Captain Geordi LaForge.

Yeah Geordi showed up as captaining some Galaxy-class ship in an episode of Voyager. I think it was the one where Harry woke up on Earth and had some bullshit story with Tom Paris, the climax was stealing some experimental shuttlecraft. Whole fuckin' episode was super lame as I recall.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh, she's been in a ton of EU things, most of it contradictory to one extent or another. In the books she seems to rise and fall in the Romulan military through the later 2360s and 2370s, usually appearing as part of some sort of anti-Federation operation. Depending on what you read, she ends up burning her brain out to fend off a mindmeld in 2375, or killing herself in 2384 to avoid extradition for causing the destruction of Deep Space Nine. In STO, she ends up running the rump Romulan Star Empire by the beginning of the 25th century, conspiring with the Hirogen and horrible subspace aliens to maintain her power. Later on it's also revealed that the whole conflict with the Iconians is her fault too.

Yeah Geordi showed up as captaining some Galaxy-class ship in an episode of Voyager. I think it was the one where Harry woke up on Earth and had some bullshit story with Tom Paris, the climax was stealing some experimental shuttlecraft. Whole fuckin' episode was super lame as I recall.

No, Captain Geordi showed up in "Timeless," the one where Harry and Chakotay get everyone on Voyager killed and they have to do time shenanigans to fix it. That one was all right; at least it gave Garrett Wang something to do for once.

Marshal Radisic fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 20, 2017

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Ohh, god I can't keep my "Harry Kim in the Alpha Quadrant" stories straight lol

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Orv posted:

Captain Geordi LaForge.

He looks pissed, then again so would I if I were forced into one of those fugly STO uniforms.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Yeah the whole article has this weird feel. I get the sense CBS bought it and paid a bunch of celebrities that are "hip with the nerds" to say nice things about it.

That thing is barely an article. Just a tweet storm inserted into a "website". I'm still waiting for people's reactions that have a vocabulary of more than 144 characters.

Still not paying for a subpar streaming app though.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Orv posted:

Captain Geordi LaForge.

So funny to be in 2017 and game developers haven't advanced past the Morrowind face generator.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

R-Type posted:

So funny to be in 2017 and game developers haven't advanced past the Morrowind face generator.

MMO development is about making RPGs that run on a toaster, though.

Orv
May 4, 2011

R-Type posted:

You're remembering Morrowind faces way more fondly than they deserve, but dont even fink about it is right, it has to run on a Pentium 4 from some LAN cafe somewhere, so.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

R-Type posted:

Eh, it's really recognizably Levar. More than that shouldn't be the focus of their efforts.

Plus, toaster, as mentioned.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Actor Bernie Casey (Cal Hudson from DS9) passed away last night

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Actor Bernie Casey (Cal Hudson from DS9) passed away last night

To me he will always be the badass guy from Revenge of the Nerds.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Argument: The TNG movies were never going to be great because Picard was not a strong enough character to lead a film franchise. Stewart's a fine actor, of course, but the character of John Luck Pickerd was too diplomatic and, quite frankly, frail to take the Enterprise on a big screen adventure.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

None of the Star Trek movies are great, the best ones are only pretty good. I really don't think you can blame that on the character of Picard though, since after Generations he is basically nothing like series Picard.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching A Matter of Time. "The resulting dust cloud could create a phenomenon not unlike the nuclear winters of 21st century Earth."

:dogbutton:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Watching A Matter of Time. "The resulting dust cloud could create a phenomenon not unlike the nuclear winters of 21st century Earth."

:dogbutton:

Hope you're ready for the post-atomic horror!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lol I like this guy

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Hoo boy, time travel

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

How can this guy think it's a good idea to go back in time and directly interact with stuff for the sake of historical study

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Nevermind I hate him now

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Lol I like this guy

The actor is Matt Frewer, perhaps best known for portraying Max Headroom back in the 80s. (Now THERE'S a TV show that was ahead of its time.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Why is he such an rear end in a top hat to Data