Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Memento posted:

This explains a hell of a lot about the actions of the characters in that film. "poo poo, we need to make it look like we're an actual science mission, go find some 1.2 GPA dipshits and tell them we have the opportunity of a (very short) lifetime for them".

I can't imagine they'd be able to get hold of any legitimately great scientists. "Wanted: People to go a really long way to investigate the claims of some dude and woman that believe in Ancient Aliens poo poo"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Not really an irrationally irritating moment as much as something I became curious about watching a movie:

In the movie Extremities, Farrah Fawcett plays a woman who is mugged at knifepoint, then the mugger tracks her down to her apartment and attempts to rape her, but she turns the tables on him, ties him up and tortures him. Later on, she cuts him up a bit with his own knife and threatens to cut his balls off and he confesses to the rapes and murders of three other women. It's sort of like a rape and revenge movie except it skips the rape and goes directly to the revenge.

What I'm wondering is, is a confession obtained by torture admissible in the US court system when torture is administered by a private citizen? If the police torture you for your confession, that's grounds for having a judgment thrown out, but I don't know about American criminal law so I'm curious whether the confession would stand up in court.

I don't think torture would be admissible. But if the police did do something like that they'd sure as hell make it impossible for you bring claims against them.

Homan Square revealed: how Chicago police 'disappeared' 7,000 people

quote:

Police “disappeared” more than 7,000 people at an off-the-books interrogation warehouse in Chicago, nearly twice as many detentions as previously disclosed, the Guardian can now reveal.

From August 2004 to June 2015, nearly 6,000 of those held at the facility were black, which represents more than twice the proportion of the city’s population. But only 68 of those held were allowed access to attorneys or a public notice of their whereabouts, internal police records show.

Homan Square was in operation for nearly nine years without any major attention. If the police wanted to torture you they'd find a way to do it on the quiet and any evidence passed to prosecutors wouldn't mention how it was obtained.
I wouldn't imagine private citizens torturing someone would get away with it, unless they were super rich.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I'm an independent torture contractor I get confessions that are totally admissible in court.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

bitterandtwisted posted:

I'm an independent torture contractor I get confessions that are totally admissible in court.

CIA.asp

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

chyaroh posted:

"Next" is pretty bad for that "it's all a dream" concept too.

Hahaha I've intentionally gone out of my way to avoid watching that because I know it'll piss me off so much.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Not really an irrationally irritating moment as much as something I became curious about watching a movie:

In the movie Extremities, Farrah Fawcett plays a woman who is mugged at knifepoint, then the mugger tracks her down to her apartment and attempts to rape her, but she turns the tables on him, ties him up and tortures him. Later on, she cuts him up a bit with his own knife and threatens to cut his balls off and he confesses to the rapes and murders of three other women. It's sort of like a rape and revenge movie except it skips the rape and goes directly to the revenge.

What I'm wondering is, is a confession obtained by torture admissible in the US court system when torture is administered by a private citizen? If the police torture you for your confession, that's grounds for having a judgment thrown out, but I don't know about American criminal law so I'm curious whether the confession would stand up in court.

Colorado v. Connelly:

quote:

Respondent approached a Denver police officer and stated that he had murdered someone and wanted to talk about it. The officer advised respondent of his Miranda rights, and respondent said that he understood those rights but still wanted to talk about the murder. Shortly thereafter, a detective arrived and again advised respondent of his rights. After respondent answered that he had come all the way from Boston to confess to the murder, he was taken to police headquarters. He then openly detailed his story to the police and subsequently pointed out the exact location of the murder. He was held overnight, and the next day he became visibly disoriented during an interview with the public defender's office and was sent to a state hospital for evaluation. Interviews with a psychiatrist revealed that respondent was following the "voice of God" in confessing to the murder. On the basis of the psychiatrist's testimony that respondent suffered from a psychosis that interfered with his ability to make free and rational choices and, although not preventing him from understanding his rights, motivated his confession, the trial court suppressed respondent's initial statements and custodial confession because they were "involuntary," notwithstanding the fact that the police had done nothing wrong or coercive in securing the confession. The court also found that respondent's mental state vitiated his attempted waiver of the right to counsel and the privilege against self-incrimination. The Colorado Supreme Court affirmed, holding that the Federal Constitution requires a court to suppress a confession when the defendant's mental state, at the time he confessed, interfered with his "rational intellect" and his "free will," the very admission of the evidence in a court of law being sufficient state action to implicate the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. The court further held that respondent's mental condition precluded his ability to make a valid waiver of his Miranda rights and that the State had not met its burden of proving a waiver by "clear and convincing evidence."

Held:

1. Coercive police activity is a necessary predicate to finding that a confession is not "voluntary" within the meaning of the Due Process Clause. Here, the taking of respondent's statements and their admission into evidence constituted no violation of that Clause. While a defendant's mental condition may be a "significant" factor in the [479 U.S. 157, 158] "voluntariness" calculus, this does not justify a conclusion that his mental condition, by itself and apart from its relation to official coercion, should ever dispose of the inquiry into constitutional "voluntariness." Pp. 163-167.

Our "involuntary confession" jurisprudence is entirely consistent with the settled law requiring some sort of "state action" to support a claim of violation of the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. The Colorado trial court, of course, found that the police committed no wrongful acts, and that finding has been neither challenged by respondent nor disturbed by the Supreme Court of Colorado. The latter court, however, concluded that sufficient state action was present by virtue of the admission of the confession into evidence in a court of the State. 702 P.2d, at 728-729.

The difficulty with the approach of the Supreme Court of Colorado is that it fails to recognize the essential link between coercive activity of the State, on the one hand, and a resulting confession by a defendant, on the other. The flaw in respondent's constitutional argument is that it would expand our previous line of "voluntariness" cases into a farranging requirement that courts must divine a defendant's [479 U.S. 157, 166] motivation for speaking or acting as he did even though there be no claim that governmental conduct coerced his decision.

The most outrageous behavior by a private party seeking to secure evidence against a defendant does not make that evidence inadmissible under the Due Process Clause.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Our police just shoot you to death like GTA npcs now

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Ignite Memories posted:

Our police just shoot you to death like GTA npcs now

Nah. I'm white.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wait, does she torture him and the he confesses to her, or does she torture him and then he confesses to the police? Because if he confessed to her then it's no good anyway. She could tell the police about it and they could investigate it, but that's all. Or did she record it? Because then she's probably going to be arrested instead of him for doing the torturing.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

rydiafan posted:

Nah. I'm white.

So was Justine Damond.

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

Drunken Baker posted:

Hahaha I've intentionally gone out of my way to avoid watching that because I know it'll piss me off so much.

It's a reasonably clever movie with some neat sequences, but I'm not sure if the writers got stuck in an impossible scenario and just went with the "screw this, it's all a dream", or they were planning on giving the audience the middle finger right from the start.

I do lean more to the second explanation.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
There are way too many fit zombies out there. Most zombies would not be goddamn decatheletes,theyd be people most prone to being zombified. Zombieland addressed this by pointing out most victims were fat and out of shape and thus unable to escape getting bitten.

So zombie hordes would mostly consist of elderly, physically disabled, obese, etc. And what few spritely zombies will inevitably pull way ahead of the horde making it easier for survivors to fight them off.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Can't speak for elderly and disabled but fat zombies would melt the pounds away from running after people all the time and not being fast enough to get a bite to eat.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I'm a fat goon who knows gently caress all about running, but I was under the assumption that because the dead feel no pain they can just run because exertion, breathlessness and muscle fatigue wouldn't effect them.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
With decay and joints destroyed from running all the time, I'm sure there would eventually be a bunch of fat zombies crawling around like slugs.

Serf
May 5, 2011

It's magic.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Reading the plot summary it looks like she tortures/threatens him until he confesses in front of her roommates? Who didn't witness him attacking her but witnessed him being tied to a chair and tortured.

Yeah, she'd go to jail. Even if a court believed he actually said those things, being tortured is a pretty good defence against saying anything.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Serf posted:

It's magic.

This why skeletons > zombies

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

MariusLecter posted:

Can't speak for elderly and disabled but fat zombies would melt the pounds away from running after people all the time and not being fast enough to get a bite to eat.

This assumes that zombies' bodies are still capable of burning calories, which I think is somewhat questionable...

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Drunken Baker posted:

This why skeletons > zombies

I, too, dream of the day we see a modern day zombie movie with high production values apart from the "zombies", which are Clash Of The Titans-style skeletons.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

BiggerBoat posted:

I mean, yeah, this is a great point and I see what people are driving at, but the film makers almost HAD to come at the character from a different angle since there was no loving way to top Curry at his own game.

It reminds me of how Ledger HAD to do a different take on The Joker and I think Skarsgard and Ledger both did great reimagining iconic character performances and giving us something new.

Counter-point: Jared Leto's Joker

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Jeepers Creepers 3 got a release date, but apparently it's only going to be shown for a single showing on 9/26. That's really pretty damned weird, not to mention a bit of a pain in the rear end to get to. Who the gently caress releases a single night movie showing and then does it on a tuesday?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Jeepers Creepers 3 got a release date, but apparently it's only going to be shown for a single showing on 9/26. That's really pretty damned weird, not to mention a bit of a pain in the rear end to get to. Who the gently caress releases a single night movie showing and then does it on a tuesday?

A movie directed by a child molester

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

jabby posted:

Reading the plot summary it looks like she tortures/threatens him until he confesses in front of her roommates? Who didn't witness him attacking her but witnessed him being tied to a chair and tortured.

Yeah, she'd go to jail. Even if a court believed he actually said those things, being tortured is a pretty good defence against saying anything.

I think I've mentioned this before, but there was a Murder She Wrote episode where there was a murder at a circus and the old lady main character got the man she suspected of being the killer to confess by locking him in a cage and threatening to release a tiger into it unless he confessed.

Even as a little kid, I knew that was some bullshit and no court would convict him.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I think you'll appreciate the Katherine Heigl/Tom Sizemore debacle that's famous for only making $30

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

A movie directed by a child molester

A CONVICTED child molester to boot. That's one up on Polanski, the coward.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Brofessor Slayton posted:

I, too, dream of the day we see a modern day zombie movie with high production values apart from the "zombies", which are Clash Of The Titans-style skeletons.

HECK YEAH! :ok:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

A CONVICTED child molester to boot. That's one up on Polanski, the coward.

Wasn't Polanski convicted? That fucker took his poo poo and ran and people still oooh over the fact he's such an Artist so the rape thing is more the victim and her mother's fault.

IMM: How the gently caress are the people on the Covenant ship MORE DUMB than the ones on Prometheus? I mean....there is not a single loving time anything they do makes sense.

Mostly, why the gently caress does everyone treat androids like poo poo?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's like asking why I never clean my toaster oven.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

Why would they treat them well? We already treat each other like poo poo, and the Alien universe doesn't seem to be depicting a future in which people are better. Like in Aliens Ripley treats Bishop like poo poo and mostly everyone else treats him sort of like a child, which is about what you would expect in that environment.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Serf posted:

Why would they treat them well? We already treat each other like poo poo, and the Alien universe doesn't seem to be depicting a future in which people are better. Like in Aliens Ripley treats Bishop like poo poo and mostly everyone else treats him sort of like a child, which is about what you would expect in that environment.

Ripley treats Bishop like poo poo because the last company android she met tried to mouth rape her to death with a rolled up magazine.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

Ripley treats Bishop like poo poo because the last company android she met tried to mouth rape her to death with a rolled up magazine.

Well yeah, she has an extremely rational reason to be suspicious.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Cowslips Warren posted:

Wasn't Polanski convicted? That fucker took his poo poo and ran and people still oooh over the fact he's such an Artist so the rape thing is more the victim and her mother's fault.

IMM: How the gently caress are the people on the Covenant ship MORE DUMB than the ones on Prometheus? I mean....there is not a single loving time anything they do makes sense.

Oh wait, yeah, poo poo, he ran away when he found that even though he'd plea bargained down to time served the judge was going to sentence him to 50 years anyway. I apologise, they are both legally sex offenders.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Rapist, pedophile, predators can make good movies, great ones even.

Are we supposed to judge them for one little mistake and not the incredibly moving entertainment they help create?

Yes. I'm pretty sure we are.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Fil5000 posted:

Oh wait, yeah, poo poo, he ran away when he found that even though he'd plea bargained down to time served the judge was going to sentence him to 50 years anyway. I apologise, they are both legally sex offenders.

It's a complicated case. The victim didn't get anything approaching justice, due to a lot of factors. The perpetrator may as well have served the time, since every single time he's mentioned anywhere from now until the sun goes supernova he'll be the child raping director. That said, I can see how losing your mother to Auschwitz at six, roaming the ghetto alone avoiding Nazis until the end of the war, and having your unborn child and wife stabbed to death two weeks before the due date could cause a few lovely life choices too.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Doesn't the guy own like 5 mansions throughout europe. I'm sure he sleeps just fine.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Torquemada posted:

It's a complicated case.

Polanski drugged then orally, vaginally, and anally raped a 13 year old girl while she begged him to stop.

That's not very complicated.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Torquemada posted:

It's a complicated case. The victim didn't get anything approaching justice, due to a lot of factors. The perpetrator may as well have served the time, since every single time he's mentioned anywhere from now until the sun goes supernova he'll be the child raping director. That said, I can see how losing your mother to Auschwitz at six, roaming the ghetto alone avoiding Nazis until the end of the war, and having your unborn child and wife stabbed to death two weeks before the due date could cause a few lovely life choices too.

Explanations aren't excuses.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Mu Zeta posted:

Doesn't the guy own like 5 mansions throughout europe. I'm sure he sleeps just fine.

But usually he sleeps with children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Please don't die on the Polsnski hill in IIMM dude lol