Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Grand Fromage posted:

Oh ha. It's about a meter I'd guess. Long prep is hell on the back.

Just confirmed my current are 84cm, previous ones were maybe 76cm. Not that I can do much with 1 sqft of counter space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Steve Yun posted:

Grand Fromage would you happen to have pics of your Korean kitchen too

I have a few. These are from my first apartment there, taken the day I moved in.

My other two Korean apartments did not have kitchens per se. My second one the kitchen was just two burners, a bit of counter, and a sink in the entryway. My third apartment the kitchen was a counter space along one side of the living room so it was sort of the largest one? It also had a full size fridge, which I really miss since I could just loving put things in the fridge/freezer without playing the world's most annoying game of tetris every single time.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
How the gently caress do Asians cook? Yikes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I manage. I have no idea why the idea of counter space seems anathema. From seeing restaurants I think people do a lot of prep work on the floor but gently caress that.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Grand Fromage posted:

I manage. I have no idea why the idea of counter space seems anathema. From seeing restaurants I think people do a lot of prep work on the floor but gently caress that.

Hahahaha...ha...:(

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Alright, finally took some pictures of my kitchen.

Overall view from the dining area. Pans, dutch oven, and some other things are on the shelves of that island.

The range is dual fuel with gas cooktop and electric oven. There is a warming drawer/separate oven at the bottom that can bake at 350 F but I haven't used that feature yet.

To the left of the range is a spice drawer. The cabinet underneath has pots.

More commonly used tools to the right:

We use the dishwasher but do handwash stuff and have space so the dish rack does remain here to the right of the sink. Dishes, bowls, serving stuff is in the cabinet above. And there's the new Spinzall!

Shelf with commonly used sauces, oils, and tools on the wall behind the island. The little bins to the left are recycling.

To the left of the fridge, more in the dining room area is the cookbook shelf and coffee station. These items may get rearranged a bit because we just got the kitchen table and no chairs yet so still figuring out how to arrange that.

From the view of the very first pic, immediately to the right is a little room. When we first viewed the house I was all "wow, this would make a great pantry!" Then our agent said "I think there is an actual separate pantry." So this little room is what we call "Tiny Bar." There's a door so in the future we are thinking of decorating it in a fun way and you can go inside, close the door and find yourself in a self-contained bar.

Tiny Bar has a keezer that currently can hold 2 kegs of beer (actually at this moment one is a weird cherry mead thing and there is one keg sitting outside because the most current beer is still fermenting) and one keg of soda water. There's also a little mini fridge.

Around the corner is the actual pantry.

Overall pretty good kitchen. Next step is getting those chairs so I can host more people comfortably cause I love cooking for people.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

mich posted:

I love cooking for people.

:stare: you might have some volunteers soon

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Okay time for a poll, how many people store their drinking glasses right side up (like mich) as opposed to upside-down?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Okay time for a poll, how many people store their drinking glasses right side up (like mich) as opposed to upside-down?

hello!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Right side up, but in a cabinet because otherwise they get grease fog

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Upside down and in a cabinet.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
wow there are some massive kitchens in here

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Right side up, except wine and cocktail glasses because the infrequent use makes them dusty

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Bit of both, mostly upright.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Rightside up in a cabinet. Beer non-pint glasses aren't in a cabinet, they're right side up but far from kitchen and get a wash when used.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Upside down in the racks obviously because that's how they hang and upside down in a cabinet for the stemless stuff.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Upside down with the exception for glass and stemware in our corner display cabinet.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Stack all drinking vessels in a little tower, inside a little stacked tower of bowls, on top of a little tower of stacked plates

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Glasses and cups go upside down in a cabinet. Upside down because dust is mostly people and yeah like steve said, grease fog gets to infrequently used glasses. Not putting them away that way is gross. I hope y'all rinse your glasses before you grab a drink.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My kitchen is mostly white and my built-in appliances are all white. If I were to get new built-in appliances like a new hood and a new refrigerator and a new dishwasher, should I get stainless steel ones or keep them white to match the kitchen

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Steve Yun posted:

My kitchen is mostly white and my built-in appliances are all white. If I were to get new built-in appliances like a new hood and a new refrigerator and a new dishwasher, should I get stainless steel ones or keep them white to match the kitchen

I think white and stainless look pretty good together. You've also got those hanging pots which are stainless, the sink, toaster, and microwave all look stainless as well. I think it'll be fine!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
We're moving into our new place next month, and it's the same. Counters are gray granite, but everything else is white. White white white. White cabinets even. I don't think I like it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
:stare:

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Excuse me. I think you left the oven on.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Clean your station, Steve.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

This

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Trying to marmalade 70 grapefruits in one night was a bad idea

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Trying to marmalade 70 grapefruits in one night was a bad idea

Thank you for this. I had shown other pics here to my wife and she was taking a jab at me about how clean they were, compared to ours after I had just made dinner :colbert:. This will show her how tidy I actually am!

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

It is the same link, even.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Come on mindphlux

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
We had our 1960s poky kitchen renovated and it looked like this originally:

Pantry:

Fridge cavity

Now it looks like this:

And we have great storage

It has completely transformed how I feel about being in the kitchen. Having enough bench space and storage space and everything being easily cleaned is amazing.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
What the hell is going on in that last photo? Is that door floating on a hinge nearly two feet away from its opening?

Edit: did the fridge and pantry switch places?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 19, 2017

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
The last photo is a cupboard that has a pull-out basket shelf attached. We keep our bench top appliances in there so that we don’t have to dig around, it automatically extends out.

The original fridge cavity was widened and combined with the pantry to make a kitchen nook, and the oven was removed from the wall to make a new fridge cavity. We’ve got our electric oven underneath our gas cook top now.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Mannnmmm I could really use some of those

Congrats on the renovation it looks great

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I like how you kept the 1960s feel and part of the brick wall :3:

Can you open one of your upper cabinets so I can see what the deal is with the overhang?

Is this the mechanism you have? That's really cool. My parents have an old rotating corner cabinet that broke a bearing sometime in the late 90's :negative:

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Started a kitchen reno project with the intent of installing new tile and cabinets, then found out that the base of my backsplash was cracked and had been leaking water down the back of the cabinets for years and the drywall was all hosed up. Also a mouse chewed a bunch of insulation off a wire leaving exposed conductor in places.

:cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

I'm just gonna assume the mouse did all that

• Locked thread