Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This might have been the best game of Splatoon I've ever played in my life and now I'm worried I've peaked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Nothin gets me goin more than 3 long quiet squidform falls every time I spawn

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I have a silly idea for a 2v2 Goon competition.

Rainmaker
Each team consists of exactly 1 Goo Tuber and 1 Flingza.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I have a silly idea for a 2v2 Goon competition.

Rainmaker
Each team consists of exactly 1 Goo Tuber and 1 Flingza.

Swap flingza for clash blaster and you mighht have something

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Tengames posted:

Swap flingza for clash blaster and you mighht have something

I chose those two because they're the bottom of Ranked.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The Clash Blaster itself isn't actually that terrible (Though I prefer the Luna over it.) It needs to be more efficient with Ink, but it's a very strong close combat Blaster. I just wish the Clash Blaster had Splashdown or Baller instead of Sting Ray.

I've been playing around with Chargers and I've been getting fairly decent with them, especially with regards to aiming in general. I.. I think I like using Chargers now. I've become what I hated. :negative:

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

no dont do it doc its not too late for you

repaint (repent lol)

e: also i just beat up a pair of chargers on port mackerel with my sloshing machine so i guess ive become what i hated too

Smiles fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Sep 21, 2017

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Dr. Fetus posted:

The Clash Blaster itself isn't actually that terrible (Though I prefer the Luna over it.) It needs to be more efficient with Ink, but it's a very strong close combat Blaster. I just wish the Clash Blaster had Splashdown or Baller instead of Sting Ray.

I've been playing around with Chargers and I've been getting fairly decent with them, especially with regards to aiming in general. I.. I think I like using Chargers now. I've become what I hated. :negative:

Same, I started screwing around with the e-liter in Turf War last night. It scratches my hitscan wrist-snapping itch (even if its not actually hitscan).

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wish it would surface your opponents S+X rating. Out of curiosity. Also is there a matchmaking difference between the different tiers, because I got to S+1 in splat zones and it takes significantly longer to find a match.

Edit: also I hope the Tent releases tomorrow

In Training fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 21, 2017

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Mr Grizz is sending you out with a Dynamo Roller because he wants you to die.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
The biggest problem I've noticed this game seems to have is that there's a lot of people who just either walk around aimlessly or just flat-out AFK.

It's a huge problem in Turf War a minor annoyance in ranked (because they lose rank) and it's even prevalent in Salmon Run.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Smiles posted:

no dont do it doc its not too late for you

repaint (repent lol)

e: also i just beat up a pair of chargers on port mackerel with my sloshing machine so i guess ive become what i hated too

I've already touched the E-Liter. I'm having fun ruining people's lives with it. The power and range on that thing... It's too late for me. :(

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

hey welcome to the show! posted:

The biggest problem I've noticed this game seems to have is that there's a lot of people who just either walk around aimlessly or just flat-out AFK.

It's a huge problem in Turf War a minor annoyance in ranked (because they lose rank) and it's even prevalent in Salmon Run.

Report then with the Nintendo online app. People really do get banned for that afk poo poo

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Dr. Fetus posted:

I've already touched the E-Liter. I'm having fun ruining people's lives with it. The power and range on that thing... It's too late for me. :(

Yeah and the paint it lays down? It's a pretty incredible amount. Thank god the devs made the scoped and unscoped one two different weapons. I could see how one might say, "Oh, longest range? That should just have a scope! That fits the niche perfectly!" But for this game, I think scopes only hurt my aim, make me more vulnerable, facilitate playing slow and stationary. Not that they can't be used to good effect but just not for me.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Report then with the Nintendo online app. People really do get banned for that afk poo poo

And always block them so you never play with that idiot again. I can understand being AFK in the first 30 seconds because maybe you jumped into a lobby and ran to take a piss or grab a beer or rip a bowl; but if you're standing there the whole match doing nothing or purposefully being ineffective, you deserve every second of that 48-hour ban.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Im going to charger duel u

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

Please remember that you have bombs in Salmon Run, and that they can be used for things other than killing Flyfish and Maws. Such as reviving people if you're a Charger and are the only one alive.

You really do give the best advice. Each time you lay out a tip I think "Oh poo poo... they're absolutely right!" It's made me a slightly better player.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Stingray is also a great way to bail out your team since it pierces everything and you can see their markers behind the sea of fish about to eat your face. Saved least one round that way I can remember.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Being completely surrounded and totally hosed with your whole team already dead it can feel amazing to wildly lob a bomb in their direction and rez the team as you die, or save them all with a stingray from across the map at low-tide.

I'm positive I stared to hear the everyone is dead go home music start and then turn back off when a splat bomb I threw went off and rezzed a teammate.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Polish Avenger posted:

Yeah and the paint it lays down? It's a pretty incredible amount. Thank god the devs made the scoped and unscoped one two different weapons. I could see how one might say, "Oh, longest range? That should just have a scope! That fits the niche perfectly!" But for this game, I think scopes only hurt my aim, make me more vulnerable, facilitate playing slow and stationary. Not that they can't be used to good effect but just not for me.

I honestly prefer the unscoped Chargers, because what storing your charge allows you to do is reposition yourself on the fly with a full charge. That's such a massive boon, like if you happen to get into a direct firefight, you can just move yourself and let go of the fire button when you start to unsquid. When you finished unsqidding, you'll instantly fire at where your cursor is at, and you can definitely turn the tables fast that way. It definitely makes the no scopes worth considering over the scopes. The downside is that in sniper duels, the scoped versions have an advantage since they cover more distance than the no scopes.

Also some Charger tips. If you are a stick player and don't like using motion controls, suck it up and use them, or use a different weapon. You really need motion controls for Chargers. Sticks cannot bring the precision that Chargers demand. Learning how to aim is obviously an important thing to learn, and you'll want to go to the testing range to practice that. The 2nd moving dummy is the real point of interest. I'm not sure what speeds the 1st and 3rd dummies are moving at, but the 2nd dummy's speed is the same as an Inkling's run speed with a medium weapon (with no Run Speed Up abilities.) Though the 3rd dummy is slightly slower than an Inkling with a medium weapon swimming around. The other important thing to keep in mind is that Chargers are no longer hit scan. The shots they fire are very fast projectiles. So unless your target is coming directly at you, you want to aim slightly in front of them.

If something bad happens in a match, such as an enemy coming straight at you, don't panic. Just stay calm and stare death square in the face. You'll get things done more often when you're calm and get a grasp on the situation and then fire off at your target, instead of flailing around panic shooting. For Squiffer players, this is especially true. The time it takes to kill someone with a fully charged shot then fire is significantly less than firing off 3 uncharged shots. Only fire off uncharged shots at your target if you know that they've taken damage. The exception is the E-Liter (And Goo Tuber, but use a better Charger), where getting 3 uncharged shots in is genuinely faster than charging up for one shot.

And if you're looking to practice a new weapon in general, I suggest stacking Quick Respawn gear. While that ability sucks in serious environments, they make for very good training wheels. (Really kind of wish the game provided full slots of Quick Respawn gear so people have access to the training wheels more easily.)

As for playing against Chargers... don't try to jump to dodge their shots. That only works against bad Chargers. Against people who can actually aim, you are just signing your death warrant. This is because jumping massively slows you down, so you're really just gift wrapping yourself to them if you're doing that. Instead, paint a path, then swim around. Your chances of living in that case are much higher, since Charger players will be forced to adjust to you getting faster, and that's harder to deal with than being forced to adjust to you getting slower.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

You really do give the best advice. Each time you lay out a tip I think "Oh poo poo... they're absolutely right!" It's made me a slightly better player.

Aw, thanks. Glad to see they're helping people out.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 21, 2017

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Someone earlier in the thread was looking for roller tips, right? Here are some handy tips for rollers.

Tip 1: Unless the area has been cleared of enemies, do not actively roll with rollers. It may seem counter-intuitive, but rolling is just going to lead to you getting shot repeatedly. Your main method of getting splats with a roller is through flicks, not by crushing. Any other time you should be swimming around, if you have control of an area, looking for targets, although crush splatting a charger is always hilarious. If you are in a situation where you have to roll in enemy territory, try to move as unpredictably as possible, and try to get back to safety as soon as possible.

Tip 2: Know your flicks. No matter which roller you're using, you need to know how long it takes for both flicks to finish, as well as knowing at what range the flick goes from a one shot to a two shot or from a two shot to a three shot. You also need to know just how wide the "sweet spot" on your horizontal flick is. The "sweet spot" is the area of the flick that does full damage, and is usually half the width of the full flick. The edges of the horizontal flick do half damage, so if you ever fail to splat someone at point-blank, it's probably because they left the sweet spot before you got your flick off. Another thing to remember about flicks is that even the basic Splat Roller can out-range a good number of guns with the vertical flick, and the only weapons that out-range the vertical flick of the Dynamo Roller are chargers. Vertical flicks are also useful for traveling quickly, since you can lay down a line of ink then swim through it.

Tip 2.5: Know the width of your roller. I know I said that you shouldn't be rolling most of the time, but sometimes you have to, or you're caught by surprise while you're inking. In these situations, knowing just how wide your roller is when it's on the ground will help you dodge more effectively while still allowing you to maneuver your way to a splat. Specifically, knowing that the splashes coming off the side of the roller when you're rolling count as part of the roller's hit box helps a ton when you're swerving to avoid shots and have to go for the crush. Along the same line of thought, know how fast you run when going full speed with your roller. Basically what I'm saying is, know your roller, which leads into the next tip.

Tip 3: Use the rest of your kit. It may seem obvious, but please, use your subs and specials. There are going to be times where the enemy knows you're there, but not where you are exactly. At those times, using your offensive subs (if you have them), can help to distract your enemy, allowing you to move in for the kill. In fact, most of the sub weapons that are on the currently available roller kits are great for area control and denial, be it the Curling Bombs on the Splat Roller, the Ink Mines on the Dynamo Roller, or the Splash Wall on the Flingza Roller. The only sub that isn't good for area denial on the roller kits is the beakon, and that is useful for infiltration. Similarly, know how your special works, what the range on it is, and when to use it.

Tip 4: Always fight on your terms. If your enemy knows you are there, you should back off unless they're close to being splatted. Do not try to get into a shoot-out with your enemy, because you will lose. Instead, back off and see if you can't come at them from a different angle, or see if there is someone else you can go after. If you see someone mindlessly shooting in front of them, don't approach them from the front, because you're just going to be splatted on accident. Use the terrain to your advantage, with ledges and blind corners being prime spots for you to get splats. Similarly, keep an eye on your map so you can know if you're being chased and generally where everyone is. Never try to fight a Baller, you will lose. Do not get discouraged if your perfectly planned ambush fails, because that will happen, a lot. Sometimes, a charger will get a random lucky shot on where you're hiding and splat you, a teammate will super jump to you and reveal you, or an Aerospray will paint under you and force you to reveal yourself. These things happen, and there is little you can do to stop it. Do not be upset at trading splats either, because you aren't expecting to live for a long time, and if you picked off a person that had just finished charging their special in your trade, you've set them back a bit.

Extra tips: The better you know the maps, the better you'll do with a roller. Similarly, the roller is the weapon, along with the charger, that is most likely to be screwed by the random chance of what weapons your teammates are using, because four rollers isn't very good. Don't be surprised if you don't get a very high paint score in Turf War, because the roller isn't great at covering a lot of turf, and if things are going well, there won't be much to paint.

One of the biggest tips I can give for fighting rollers is to always, always, always cover enemy ink when you see it, because that removes potential hiding spots. I can't tell you the number of times I've hidden in tiny puddles of ink and still managed to get a splat. Another tip is if a roller is rolling at you, back up while shooting. They won't be able to reach you, and will either have to disengage or get splatted. If you see a roller doing a horizontal flick, try to get to their side, since that can cause you to get out of their sweet spot. And finally, don't let a roller escape if you can help it, because otherwise they'll just be back in a few seconds to cause you more trouble.

I hope these tips are helpful for people looking to try rollers.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

ZeButler posted:

Don't be surprised if you don't get a very high paint score in Turf War, because the roller isn't great at covering a lot of turf, and if things are going well, there won't be much to paint.

This is all very useful information. I'll have to try these weapons again, but this here is what confuses me. I thought rollers were supposed to paint turf thoroughly. If that's not their job what are they meant to do, since it's made clear that they're not really good at infiltrating enemy turf either.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

100YrsofAttitude posted:

This is all very useful information. I'll have to try these weapons again, but this here is what confuses me. I thought rollers were supposed to paint turf thoroughly. If that's not their job what are they meant to do, since it's made clear that they're not really good at infiltrating enemy turf either.

Rollers are meant to be assassins, sneaking in behind the enemy and taking them out from the flank. They can cover a wide area quickly and make trails for teammates to follow. But they're actually really bad at covering turf in general. The game actually lies to you about this, because things like Aerosprays and Splattershot Jrs are much better at covering turf than a roller. It also ties into the fact that you should only really be rolling when it's safe. Rollers can push into unguarded flanks really quickly, and are some of the most aggressive weapons in the game, but you should only be breaking 800p when you literally don't get splatted in a round.

ZeButler fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 21, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Mr Grizz is sending you out with a Dynamo Roller because he wants you to die.

Mr Grizz wants you to crush Cohawks with it :colbert:.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Right, I better put out my ideas about the goon tournament I've been talking about a week or two ago. So without further delay, my master plan:

I've talked about having an organized Turf Wars tournament for goons. The idea being that teams of four participants with set seeded players would battle it out for goon supremacy. The first problem is the amount of players. With teams having 4 players, we'd need to schedule appropriate times that everyone could participate. With 1vs1 or even 2vs2, that's not that big of a deal. Usually they'll find some timeslot where everyone can join in. But with 8 players that can be tricky with differing timezones and people sometimes having lives outside of Splatoon. (Unheard of, yes, but not wholly in the realm of fantasy.) And with a high number of teams, that can be a challenge.

My solution would be to make the tournament a week long - or, if need be, longer than that - endeavor, where teams would battle in a round-robin way in the schedule that fits both teams - ie. the teams do the scheduling, not the organizers who just see that the matches are done before a set deadline. That's the model I've known that has worked since Quake team deathmatches. We can either then leave the final result at league level or go NHL and head for the play-offs with the top teams at an agreed date. It's all down to how many teams we have at our disposal.

How are the matches then played? If we're playing the best of three, we're talking at best 15 minutes per encounter. Best of five, 30 minutes. Losers of a round get to choose the stage to play in next.

As for the composition of teams, you could either have people form them themselves or create them in a shuffle where people's rank, timezone area and maybe other factors will be used to make hopefully equally powerful teams.

Those are some of my ideas at the moment. If you have any additional comments, I'd be delighted to hear them. I plan to get the ball rolling next week anyway.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That all sounds good to me. I think 2v2 is ideal, 1v1 would be fun/funny in the future but you definitely need at least some kind of teamwork happening, it's pretty core to Splatoon.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I've seen sand volleyball tournaments with a format called Mad Hatter where individuals are placed in random teams that change every match. Whoever ends up with the best overall record wins. It's a fun way to do a more casual tournament.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

In Training posted:

That all sounds good to me. I think 2v2 is ideal, 1v1 would be fun/funny in the future but you definitely need at least some kind of teamwork happening, it's pretty core to Splatoon.

I'd be leery of doing less than 4v4, simply because on a lot of maps if the teams are too small then they could end up just chasing each other and constantly painting each other's ink without ever actually engaging.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Would we wanna do like...Splat Zones 2v2 then to make a pseudo tiny version of Turf War?

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

wows two squids bailed out of a salmon run in wave 1 but the two of us still managed to krill it, including a wave 3 griller. gj にぶる

also i just hit 1000 shifts, what do i get mr grizz

(the answer is more shifts)

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Smiles posted:

also i just hit 1000 shifts, what do i get mr grizz

(the answer is more shifts)

capitalism, ho

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The second Mr. Grizz realizes he can hire Octolings and pay them in simple basic needs like food since they live underground he'll never hire another Inkling again

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I played 3 matches of Kelp Dome TC in a row where I was literally the only person on my team to push the tower. What is it about this map that makes people want to pretend it's TDM?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

For example, There was someone on my team in my last match who put down 1400p and didn't die once and got 9 tenta missiles and we lost 0-92...what are you doing!!

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Splatoon players are bad, news at 11

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

In Training posted:

For example, There was someone on my team in my last match who put down 1400p and didn't die once and got 9 tenta missiles and we lost 0-92...what are you doing!!

That was a flyfish that went to the wrong mode.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Q: The Octobrush is such a stupid OP weapon, is there any way to deal with them?

A: Paint the map.

Q: No really, how do I deal with Octobrushes?

Q: But-

Q: This is useless advice.

A: You are bad at video games.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

looks like nintendo of japan is putting out video game themed cellphone cases. Now you can have the triangle shaped phones all the cool squidkids have.
https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/911064654343839744
Oh, you wanted something you could actually fit into a pocket? OK, fine, here.
https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/911065001539944448

Tengames fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Sep 22, 2017

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
Gazes forlornly at my Galaxy Note 3 :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Rapid Blaster Pro coming this weekend. Comes with Poison Mist and Ink Rain.