Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Elendil004 posted:

Oh it's just a random spawn with the mission so I got all 5 in one shot. Poorly worded.

I misread it as Medibots anyway. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
They've announced that on the 26th the Battle Royale mode will be free to everyone.

They also announced this the day after a week long sale ended that was in honor of them adding the battle royale mode.

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

Psychepath posted:

They've announced that on the 26th the Battle Royale mode will be free to everyone.

They also announced this the day after a week long sale ended that was in honor of them adding the battle royale mode.

I bought the game just to play BR because of the sale.

gently caress me.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Lol the frugal game enthusiasts wins again!

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

bug chaser chaser posted:

I bought the game just to play BR because of the sale.

gently caress me.

I did the same thing.

They've explicitly said on reddit that they're offering refunds to anyone who bought the game during the sale week for this reason.

https://epicgames.formstack.com/forms/refund_request1

They pulled off the impossible, charging for a second early access inside of a different early access.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Honestly going free to play now with the battle royal mode is a smart move. There are a lot of people who like pubg and probably a lot of people who were too poor to pay for it.

Going free to play is going to make this game huge.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

hey welcome to the show! posted:

Honestly going free to play now with the battle royal mode is a smart move. There are a lot of people who like pubg and probably a lot of people who were too poor to pay for it.

Going free to play is going to make this game huge.

OVer all the game is well put together. I didn't mind paying and I've yet to play the BR yet.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Turd Herder posted:

OVer all the game is well put together. I didn't mind paying and I've yet to play the BR yet.

The BR component is, no joke (and barring some dislike of the core concepts which would be understandable on a case by case), a better game than PUBG - that biggest closest competitor.
It goes to show the miles difference that can be made with a competent team and an excellent back-end.
The game just -works- and doesn't make you struggle to have it behave. PUBG is enjoyable in its own right, but also jawdropping that they managed to take the Unreal engine and make it behave like Arma - which is NOT something you would expect or want. Goodbye smooth movement and controls!

Some folks might not like the aesthetic, and others will likely find that the inclusion of building abilities don't suit their taste for a Battle Royale style game - they would be happy with shoot 'n loot - and to a point one can get away with that a great deal in Fortnite.
But for what it actually is - a third person shooter with core building features - the Fortnite BR is spectacular, especially when one encounters fellow players that actually exploit the building mechanics as intended. So far perhaps one in five players I run into actually bothers to construct - but the ones that do react, the ones that respond to a threat by slapping down buildings to block fire rather than standing like ducks in the open? It makes the combat an absolute joy.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

DarkDobe posted:

The BR component is, no joke (and barring some dislike of the core concepts which would be understandable on a case by case), a better game than PUBG - that biggest closest competitor.
It goes to show the miles difference that can be made with a competent team and an excellent back-end.
The game just -works- and doesn't make you struggle to have it behave. PUBG is enjoyable in its own right, but also jawdropping that they managed to take the Unreal engine and make it behave like Arma - which is NOT something you would expect or want. Goodbye smooth movement and controls!

Some folks might not like the aesthetic, and others will likely find that the inclusion of building abilities don't suit their taste for a Battle Royale style game - they would be happy with shoot 'n loot - and to a point one can get away with that a great deal in Fortnite.
But for what it actually is - a third person shooter with core building features - the Fortnite BR is spectacular, especially when one encounters fellow players that actually exploit the building mechanics as intended. So far perhaps one in five players I run into actually bothers to construct - but the ones that do react, the ones that respond to a threat by slapping down buildings to block fire rather than standing like ducks in the open? It makes the combat an absolute joy.

Do people actually build forts in the BR or is the build mechanic used mainly to give cover to fire?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Turd Herder posted:

Do people actually build forts in the BR or is the build mechanic used mainly to give cover to fire?

Mostly the latter, though if you're hoping to cause some action, throwing up bigger towers for vantage or as literal bait can work wonders.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I've had great success throwing a trap in a house because folks will just rush in and you can do a good deal of damage and also make it an alarm for you.

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

I've seen people make pretty successful sniper towers out of stone and steel, each level is a V of stairs facing out, build like 4 stories so it takes a ton of ammo to take down.

But for the most part I've began to carry a lot more wood just so I can build stairs and get on top of otherwise inaccessible mountains when the circle gets smaller.

As far as locations I'm having pretty good luck with starting in the Mire, I can usually get 3-4 chests there with little competition, plus you can leave that area with 300-500 wood easy. I usually glide straight to the house with 2 chests and 2 guns and then work my way out.

Anybody have any other sweet spots? Loot lake is trash, though from time to time I'll parachute on top of the house in the middle of the lake just to break through the attic and get the chest, then I'll just wait to get the jump on the person that survives the brawl downstairs.

bug chaser chaser fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 21, 2017

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Have they added squads to the pvp yet?

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

BadLlama posted:

Have they added squads to the pvp yet?

They say they will next week as BR launches Free to Play.

I played BR for the first time today, it was fun. Hitting someone with an RPG like 5 seconds after they hit the ground probably was frustrating as hell for them though, I hope they spectated me for 15 seconds after to see me take out myself and one other person with the second rocket. 2 Kills in 20 seconds feels like a good run to me..

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Once when I got really close to winning, there were like 5 or so people left, I built some stairs to get out the top of a building I was basically trapped in, dropped behind the guy who had me pinned and felt like a real skill guy. Then I got sniped immediately after killing him.

In a straight fight dropping some stairs to use as quite unpredictable cover ( will I pop out the left, the right, climb up etc ) works better than I'd have expected it to.

Argento
Feb 19, 2004

Ladies, I'm back
Lipstick Apathy
I'm excited for the BR. Glad I saved some cash.

Going to get with my partner on PS4.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I predict that this game is going to be the "Paladins" of battle grounds games.

It will be one of the first free to play and on consoles so I think it will have staying power.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gUtfBmw86Y

This actually looks a lot more interesting than PUBG, especially with being able to craft while you play. The art style kind of looks like that Battlefield Heroes game a few years back and the title text looks like the same one used for Battleborn lol

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Trying this Battle Royale poo poo out because it doesn't require PS+.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Can you group in BR yet? Legally I mean?

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

Can you group in BR yet? Legally I mean?

Squads are enabled as of today afaik, yes. Only 4-man squads though, they're waiting for a bigger playerbase until they enable duos, to not gently caress over both their queue times.

E: You can invite friends to your squad and if you don't have enough friends (online) you can decide to queue up and fill it up with pugs.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

You can also queue with less than 4 players, you can opt out of filling the group if you just don't want to for some reason

Battle Royale mode is a lot of fun with a group, really enjoying this a lot

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
this game is hard as gently caress! I keep getting sniped out of nowhere, and i'm not really sure about where I should drop in. I either get killed before finding a gun or I get sniped out of nowhere. fun though

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
woot

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

This is actually not terrible?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

They need to fix the shooting asap.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Kill fortnite, long live battle royale.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

How do you speed dive?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I wish there was a strict "duo" mode but anyway I'm glad this exists since I have a lot of PS4* friends. It's fun and comically similar to PUBG in so many ways. Which is not a complaint.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 27, 2017

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
add me to squad up on ps4 my friends, doesn't seem to work too well with randoms because theres no chat at all, so they all parachute in 3 different directions. My PSN is Clizzby

Best I've done so far is #4. I can never find a drat sniper rifle which is what fucks me.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Feels good!

I am garbage at this game, though (one kill in the round that I won).

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
battle royale loving owns

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
https://streamable.com/70y78

I've died, a lot. This was worth it.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
Whats the reward for winning?

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

wjs5 posted:

Whats the reward for winning?

You get an umbrella instead of a glider.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

AndrewP posted:

I wish there was a strict "duo" mode but anyway I'm glad this exists since I have a lot of PS2 friends. It's fun and comically similar to PUBG in so many ways. Which is not a complaint.

IIRC duos are coming soon. Pretty sure I read a statement from them saying they don't want to split matchmaking up between too many modes right away but it is planned.

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

D C posted:

https://streamable.com/70y78

I've died, a lot. This was worth it.

:perfect:

That's such a good kill - traps really don't get used as often as they should be. They need to make them more common.

I feel so hosed if I don't pick up a sniper in the first couple of minutes, but that new scoped AR does help out a lot if you're able to find one instead.

Oh and if anybody is looking to group up on PS4, add me: myswagyolo

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Honestly I've found something like a shotgun is the way to go. Get up close in cover and blast fast.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Is there any leveling or stats in the PUBG mode?

I'm hoping the rewards for winging are only cosmetic, but it is f2p.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Beans posted:

Is there any leveling or stats in the PUBG mode?

I'm hoping the rewards for winging are only cosmetic, but it is f2p.

It's very bare bones at the moment. You can't even pick your character model.

• Locked thread