Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The new advisor voices are pretty good.

Spiritualist Advisor AI: "Thinking machines are an affront to nature. These profane constructs must never be allowed to- oh wait... :ohdear:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Do planetary fortifications and army strength matter at all since you can pile 500 slave warriors onto a planet?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Assimilators can't make more cyborgs right? So if you find a species that has desirable attributes you basically have to let them grow a bit before you eat all their pops? Meanwhile, your original cyborg buddies will stay at 4 pops forever. That seems kind of counter to the whole "assimilate and improve" aspect of the Borg.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Do your starting cyborg pops not grow?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Eej posted:

Assimilators can't make more cyborgs right? So if you find a species that has desirable attributes you basically have to let them grow a bit before you eat all their pops? Meanwhile, your original cyborg buddies will stay at 4 pops forever. That seems kind of counter to the whole "assimilate and improve" aspect of the Borg.

Correct, but we're going to change it so that Cyborgs can reproduce after some feedback on Assimilators. Came in too late to make the change in the release build though.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
There's a mystery option for further integration of cyborgs into your AI gestalt, maybe you have to run your starting cyborgs through that one first before you can make more?

Anyway, the first thing I did was release the migration controls. Our creators are a part of us now, there's no need to not allow them their freedom back!

Edit:

Has nothing to do with making more cyborgs, huh. So what is that option there for, then?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Did empire frequency change? Seems like there are fewer now. My half of the large galaxy just had three pairs... and each of us killed our neighbor so now it's just three huge blobs in this half of the galaxy... and it's really boring. I recall everything being packed and chaotic in the past. Maybe I just got unlucky, but honestly the other half of the galaxy looks even more boring from what I've seen. I've only found one real empire and three fallen empires.

It sucks that I've put a whole bunch of hours into this game today and kinda want to restart now 'cause the political situation is so uninteresting.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Libluini posted:

There's a mystery option for further integration of cyborgs into your AI gestalt, maybe you have to run your starting cyborgs through that one first before you can make more?

Anyway, the first thing I did was release the migration controls. Our creators are a part of us now, there's no need to not allow them their freedom back!

Edit:

Has nothing to do with making more cyborgs, huh. So what is that option there for, then?

I think that might be the option that turns them into living batteries a la The Matrix?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Bloody Pom posted:

I think that might be the option that turns them into living batteries a la The Matrix?

Nah, that option is greyed out. I've already forgotten were that "further integration" option was, but I remember there being three settings in that group: Drone (set to this at game start), Undesirables (kills pops off) and this one with -50% happiness modifier and some ominous text about "individuality not surviving this process".

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

if people are really getting extra synthetic dawn keys, i'll take one off your hands. It'll be a while before i spend more money on games :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Anyway, my first machine leader had his accident:

:allears: I think that plate got tacked on a bit too hard there

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

My Providers.exe empire had some units go rogue and set up a smuggling ring on one of the primitive planets I was observing. :v:

Seriously, aside from some minor kinks like that, awesome dlc that got me hooked again.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Libluini posted:

Nah, that option is greyed out. I've already forgotten were that "further integration" option was, but I remember there being three settings in that group: Drone (set to this at game start), Undesirables (kills pops off) and this one with -50% happiness modifier and some ominous text about "individuality not surviving this process".

That'd be the process that turned them into cyborgs in the first place.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

So what do you guys tend to do with all those useless food tiles as a machine or synth empire? Just pop down whatever you need at the time?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Libluini posted:

Anyway, my first machine leader had his accident:

:allears: I think that plate got tacked on a bit too hard there

It's the upgraded version of this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hulnz902gWo

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

LordMune posted:

That'd be the process that turned them into cyborgs in the first place.

Then it's a bit weird that I'm allowed to put them back into this process again. Is this a bug?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

What kind of game/galaxy settings do people like to play? So far my first game feels veeery empty.

Would've thought I'd run into someone by now, but just a few pirates, space fauna, and some artisans in a space station.

PoptartsNinja posted:

This expansion :allears:

Can you post the empire entry for this from your user_empire_designs.txt in [user]/My Documents/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris ? I want these guys in my game. :v:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 22, 2017

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

Do planetary fortifications and army strength matter at all since you can pile 500 slave warriors onto a planet?

they do not

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Wiz posted:

The problem with that approach is that you tend to end up with everything being pretty bland, as all time is spent on making all the features work with each other rather than making them distinct. Basically, we could either do Machine Hive Minds and make them feel distinct, or do Machine Hive Minds and also non Machine Hive Minds and have them more or less just end up reskins of existing Hive Minds and regular empires. I chose the former and I stand by that decision.

Very strongly feel that you got this right. Interesting choices have to mean giving something up.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

The 'Number of Civs' option in galaxy gen is definitely lower than it used to be, I think that's why people are seeing emptier galaxies. Presumably in part this is to help allow primitives who achieve FTL to grow?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Mister Adequate posted:

The 'Number of Civs' option in galaxy gen is definitely lower than it used to be, I think that's why people are seeing emptier galaxies. Presumably in part this is to help allow primitives who achieve FTL to grow?

Oh good, I thought I was remembering it being higher. I just kinda rolled with the defaults this morning.

Does Mastery of Nature still unlock the associated techs? I know it's a reduced cost now instead of free, but I'm not sure if you need to research the tech as well.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Splicer posted:

I made a thing

shouldn't a computer virus species be driven assimilators, not rogue servitors

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Exterminators get a "War Factory" building which not only increases army strength/build time, but also generates research as well. :hellyeah:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Wolfechu posted:

Oh good, I thought I was remembering it being higher. I just kinda rolled with the defaults this morning.

Does Mastery of Nature still unlock the associated techs? I know it's a reduced cost now instead of free, but I'm not sure if you need to research the tech as well.

It still unlocks them all, yeah. MoN is still a very good pick, just not going to always be the single best one.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Wiz posted:

Correct, but we're going to change it so that Cyborgs can reproduce after some feedback on Assimilators. Came in too late to make the change in the release build though.

This is good news. I'm putting off my assimilator run until then.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Anybody else have their robot owning meat pops get upset that their property was 'liberated' even though they are still just bots and nobody even knows the word droid yet?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Bloody Pom posted:

So what do you guys tend to do with all those useless food tiles as a machine or synth empire? Just pop down whatever you need at the time?

Yeah so far I'm just pretending they're empty tiles and slapping down monuments or energy plants or whatever else I need on them.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Hahaha oh my god the Xenophile voice message when you complete an Uplift is amazing.

:j:: We took some animals, and made them PEOPLE!! :stoked:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Wiz posted:

Also, the change just affects *chance* of habitable worlds. You can still luck out and get a lot of worlds where you spawn. Like, theoretically you could have a habitable world in nearly every single system on 0.25x setting, it's just absurdly, absurdly unlikely.

Have you guys looked into balancing the starts at all for multiplayer? It's kinda lovely when one person starts with a huge open space they can freely colonize for the next 100 years, and one player has only the 2 guaranteed starting worlds close to them to work with, and one guy has 20 minerals in his home system, and another guy has nothing.

Like the galaxy doesn't need to be homogeneous, but it should really be much less heterogeneous than it is now.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Rogue Servitor is interesting, though quiet. Having to play around with tiles and resettlement so the trophies and your people are on squares you want them on is vaguely interesting, though also annoying. Now I have to hope I'm left alone. I started Arctic, and most of my planets are Arctic, so I'm mineral-rich but energy-poor. I've been lucky that I have a trader nearby.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
So uh. Is there any way to assimilate people as a normal machine empire? Or are the power grid things or purges my only options?

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Is the reduction in habitable planets the only performance tweak in 1.8? This game would be perfect if not for becoming a slideshow 3/4 of the way in.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

I'm not sure if the ancient drone event chain that starts with an event called 'The Prelude' (or 'A Prelude', I don't remember exactly) was included in 1.8 or if it has been part of the game for longer and I just haven't encountered it until now, but a few things about it are unfortunately broken. The drones operate from the uninhabited moon of one of your inhabited planets, going active and falling dormant again periodically. One of the events has them collect a huge amount of resources for you to harvest, which creates a 6 mineral deposit on the moon... but you can't actually make use of it because it's on one of the 'invisible' tiles (uncolonized planets only have a single actually usable tile, even though under the hood there are more). I manually moved the deposit to the active tile by editing the save file, and everything worked fine - A later event-driven deposit was correctly added to the usable tile. But now I had an event called 'Ancient Drones: Alien to the Aliens' fire that was supposed to create a special research project on the colonized planet around which the moon orbits. Didn't happen!

So I've decided to put my game on hold and wait for a response from the dev team. Don't want to miss out on a potentially interesting story.

Just in case it's relevant for debugging: I'm playing a generic machine empire.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Wiz posted:

Nice, thanks. I made the cyborg buddies frail sociologists with the idea of the machine mind keeping them around because their squishy brains would be naturally better at social sciences and then found out that I get four of them, ever.

Oh well, time to try the other machines for now!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I love the new tutorial voices

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Gimmick Account posted:

I'm not sure if the ancient drone event chain that starts with an event called 'The Prelude' (or 'A Prelude', I don't remember exactly) was included in 1.8 or if it has been part of the game for longer and I just haven't encountered it until now, but a few things about it are unfortunately broken. The drones operate from the uninhabited moon of one of your inhabited planets, going active and falling dormant again periodically. One of the events has them collect a huge amount of resources for you to harvest, which creates a 6 mineral deposit on the moon... but you can't actually make use of it because it's on one of the 'invisible' tiles (uncolonized planets only have a single actually usable tile, even though under the hood there are more). I manually moved the deposit to the active tile by editing the save file, and everything worked fine - A later event-driven deposit was correctly added to the usable tile. But now I had an event called 'Ancient Drones: Alien to the Aliens' fire that was supposed to create a special research project on the colonized planet around which the moon orbits. Didn't happen!

So I've decided to put my game on hold and wait for a response from the dev team. Don't want to miss out on a potentially interesting story.

Just in case it's relevant for debugging: I'm playing a generic machine empire.
I believe this is an existing story line, although it popped so late in the game for me when I got it I didn't really pay attention to notice if it was broken in 1.7 or not.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

imweasel09 posted:

I believe this is an existing story line, although it popped so late in the game for me when I got it I didn't really pay attention to notice if it was broken in 1.7 or not.

I'd like to fix it myself so that I can continue my game, but I cannot seem to find the relevant event file. Maybe the Windows search function just sucks rear end, I don't know!

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
I'm new to this game and 4x in general, is there a good guide outside of the tutorial?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Learned an important lesson over the last 5-ish hours. Hitting the boxes to randomize your number of AIs can really backfire. Played a 800 Star Ring map that had one fallen empire and four AI empires, three of them Advanced starts and not a one another robot race. I stuck it out and if I'd been on normal or not using the Rogue Servitor trait I might have made it, but in the end I was boxed in between one advanced AI and the fallen empire leaving the other two advanced AI's to take over the rest of the map. I just couldn't compete with that level of production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

What makes a hammerheaded alien dude turn neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?

(Liberated off my northern rear end in a top hat evangelizing zealots neighbors, new empire has no name and is despicably neutral, but man they want some research agreements :v:)

• Locked thread