Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'll type up an OP and have it up by tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Trek Matters and Trek Antimatters?

And a trippy-colored doorway between the two, where you and your double from the other universe can fight each other.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Powered Descent posted:

And a trippy-colored doorway between the two, where you and your double from the other universe can fight each other.

But what of the posters...what of the posters...

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Hope DSC does a Nazi planet episode where they dress up like the SS to confront the issues of our time.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Thom12255 posted:

Hope DSC does a Nazi planet episode where they dress up like the SS to confront the issues of our time.

Captains log, supplemental: The Discovery is in orbit above planet Proudboy 1488, home to a peculiar society of humanoids who worship statuary by the ceremonial lighting of tiki torches.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Powered Descent posted:

WHAT HAVE I WROUGHT!?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Powered Descent posted:

Star Trek thread

Star Trek Goatee thread

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Discovery thread is up

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835149

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I watched a Voyager with Tuvok and Neelix on a space elevator and it was a really good episode of Star Trek. I guess it's stopped clock phenomenon.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

From that thread:

Timby posted:

Only the first episode is on broadcast tv. The second half of the pilot is on All Access.

That's.... rather odd

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Pacra posted:

That's.... rather odd

The show is supposed to carry CBS All Access. It was supposed to already be carrying it, but the show was delayed.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Pacra posted:

From that thread:

That's.... rather odd

So I have to pay to see the conclusion of the first story, even? gently caress those fuckers.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Beachcomber posted:

I watched a Voyager with Tuvok and Neelix on a space elevator and it was a really good episode of Star Trek. I guess it's stopped clock phenomenon.

Yeah every once in a while even Voyager has a good one. I'm of the opinion you can put together one full season of solid Star Trek from Voyager episodes.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Does anybody still have a high-res version of the Captain Sisko "REAL" Shepherd Fairey poster? It feels like it fell off the Internet.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'll type up an OP and have it up by tonight
Linked it in the OP - I figure once Discovery's first season ends or Spring '18 or so, we'll rescind the neutral zone and yack it up in here or its successor.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Just suffered through Nemesis. My girlfriend booed when Janeway showed up. I'm so proud of her. (She's never seen Voyager; she was just booing because an Admiral was talking.) Finally made it through the first ten movies (plus Galaxy Quest). It's been a long road.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Not sure why there need to be two Trek threads but :shrug:

People in the US are really the only ones who get shafted by the CBS All Access bullshit. In Canada it's on Space iirc, and everywhere else it's on Netflix.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Distant Origin could have been good if they had remembered that dinosaurs were warm blooded. It was fairly settled science by 1993, and I'm pretty sure this was after that.

Please tell me they're going to take these little Voth cloaks down to the labs and Starfleet them all up. There's been a few clever pieces of tech in recent episodes that I've been hoping they were smart enough to pocket.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The concept, no matter what you think of the execution, is pure distilled Star Trek.

This is pretty much a bullshit argument given the amount of notes even TOS tries to hit. If anything, pure Star Trek is loving with stupid Klingons.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

dont even fink about it posted:

This is pretty much a bullshit argument given the amount of notes even TOS tries to hit. If anything, pure Star Trek is loving with stupid Klingons.

Klingons. You mean those guys that were in 7 episodes of TOS? There were way more loving 'god' episodes.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

dont even fink about it posted:

1. Explore space.

2. Find mind-boggling poo poo you didn't expect to find.

3. Try to talk to it.

3a. Stop it, if necessary, from killing or enslaving you.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Drone posted:

Not sure why there need to be two Trek threads but :shrug:

People in the US are really the only ones who get shafted by the CBS All Access bullshit. In Canada it's on Space iirc, and everywhere else it's on Netflix.

I can understand the need for two threads. A lot of non-trekkies are going to be watching Discovery and they're not going to want to wade through our thousandth discussion about how transporters actually kill you in order to talk about the show. Plus the spoiler policy there is different so pages won't be 90% black bars.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

And at least a few of us flat out aren't going to be watching it for some time due to the All Access bullshit.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

This thread's gonna just die.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

MikeJF posted:

This thread's gonna just die.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure what's going to happen is that the STD thread is just going to become the new Star Trek thread within a week.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Maybe the show will be good and the world will flock to watch it

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Guess I'll have one fewer thread to keep up on, then. And a lot of catching up to do in 6-8 months or whatever.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
It can't be more boring than S1 Enterprise.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

skasion posted:

And maybe the word will unite when given alien technology and use it to create a peaceful benevolent regime, and not use the technology to kill themselves and others immediately

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
This thread is busier than you think, especially when Jeb! posts his TNG reactions, and it seemed right to give Discovery its own thread so that people who watch the show but don't usually post here won't have to wade through dozens of posts concerning shows they've never watched. It also prevents this thread from becoming page after page of black-barred posts, which I guarantee someone would have complained about since there are multiple posters who won't be watching Discovery anytime soon or ever. This thread will be fine.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I wouldn't mind some mostly spoiler-free impressions of Discovery in here too. I mean I'm going to be watching the first half of the pilot, to be sure, so I'll be in the other thread that long at least. But you guys can tell me if you think it's the best thing since DS9, or the worst thing since Voyager, or something in between. Frankly as long as it's better than Voyager I'll probably enjoy it well enough when I do watch it. I mean I lasted like 5 seasons of Voyager even.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I love Romulan uniforms; do the shoulders get wider as they rise through the command chain?

"WE DEMAND TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY!!"

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

I wouldn't mind some mostly spoiler-free impressions of Discovery in here too. I mean I'm going to be watching the first half of the pilot, to be sure, so I'll be in the other thread that long at least. But you guys can tell me if you think it's the best thing since DS9, or the worst thing since Voyager, or something in between. Frankly as long as it's better than Voyager I'll probably enjoy it well enough when I do watch it. I mean I lasted like 5 seasons of Voyager even.

I think Discovery has to at least be more interesting than Dark Matter or Killjoys as a low bar to make me go out of my way to watch it. I hope the show doesn't make me as mad as that one guy in the Orville thread.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm watching the original series episode "Court Martial" on BBCA, and I'm surprised at how differently I view this episode as an adult. I'm really unimpressed with Cogley's legal acumen after watching shows like JAG and Law and Order; he spends most of Kirk's trial not calling any witnesses or rebutting the testimony of witnesses for the prosecution. In the end, he makes a single grandstanding speech about man vs machine and ultimately ends up winning the case for Kirk, despite Fred Thompsoning his way through the trial. I agree with the substance of what Cogley was saying, but he was a fairly inept lawyer.

If "Measure of a Man" is a remake of this episode, then in addition to being a much better episode in general, it's a much better and more accurate legal drama.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

skasion posted:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Pakled posted:

A lot of non-trekkies are going to be watching Discovery

Debatable. We're making a lot of assumptions about the mass-market appeal of a show that 1.) hasn't premiered yet and 2.) is only available via CBS's basically unknown and probably fly-by-night subscription platform within the world's largest TV market.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

In somewhat exciting news, I'm noticing "The Good Fight" is actually avaliable on Vudu, Google Play, and Amazon as a la carte purchases.

According to instantwatcher, "The Good Fight" went on sale on September 9th. That's encouraging that EVENTUALLY Discovery may not be held hostage to All-Access even if it will take 6 months after the last episode airs.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

spincube posted:

I love Romulan uniforms; do the shoulders get wider as they rise through the command chain?

"WE DEMAND TO BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY!!"

I knew it! David Byrne is a Romulan!

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm watching the original series episode "Court Martial" on BBCA, and I'm surprised at how differently I view this episode as an adult. I'm really unimpressed with Cogley's legal acumen after watching shows like JAG and Law and Order; he spends most of Kirk's trial not calling any witnesses or rebutting the testimony of witnesses for the prosecution. In the end, he makes a single grandstanding speech about man vs machine and ultimately ends up winning the case for Kirk, despite Fred Thompsoning his way through the trial. I agree with the substance of what Cogley was saying, but he was a fairly inept lawyer.

If "Measure of a Man" is a remake of this episode, then in addition to being a much better episode in general, it's a much better and more accurate legal drama.

Not that I disagree with this assessment, but were there any good legal shows or representations on TV back by 66-69 when TOS was airing? There are some good movies that I think did this pretty well by then, but I don't know about TV shows that did to at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Beachcomber posted:

Distant Origin could have been good if they had remembered that dinosaurs were warm blooded. It was fairly settled science by 1993, and I'm pretty sure this was after that.

Please tell me they're going to take these little Voth cloaks down to the labs and Starfleet them all up. There's been a few clever pieces of tech in recent episodes that I've been hoping they were smart enough to pocket.

I was at a dino exhibit recently and they were saying the new theory is that they were both, or neither. They could generate their own body heat when needed, but they also had aspects of cold-blooded animals where they'd need sun to supplement this. They weren't 100% sure how it worked but they were pretty sure dino's almost didn't fit into the hot/cold blooded binary and were sort of their own thing that we don't see anymore.