Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Beet Wagon posted:

lol it's another loving motorcycle.

No, you've got it wrong it's "An open-canopy racer." Big difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Spuckuk posted:

There's a reason E:D has harsh and uncaring traffic control.

Traffic Control in ED reminds me a lot of Eves Concord.

Completely merciless, brutal, and will pop you in half a second.

I could only hope SC had something similar, because the amount of tears and salt from :reddit: when one of those idiots loses a ship like that would be glorious.

Hell just look at old eve boards about idiots dying to concord, or ed pilots dying to station guns when they're loving around.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Codezombie posted:

Meh, I'm utterly unimpressed, we have an air hockey table, pinball machine, a couple of arcade cabinets and a free gym... Far better than that lame offering.
Then again we've shipped a game, actually quite a few games...

(Though I still mourn the loss of lunch time Flight Club, where a bunch of us used to go out and fly RC planes and helicopters)

I just learned about these tiny fpv racers yesterday, may be relevant to lunch time Flight Club activities

https://www.tinywhoop.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE1b3Ml4z2U

:3:

Thoatse fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 22, 2017

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

AbstractNapper posted:

I'm just going to comment here that there is absolutely no loving way they have been seriously developing a game even for just a year and this is the first time they are having this discussion.

They have literally just started trying to seriously develop something. And their inexperience with any tools that could assist them shows a lot.

:allears:

It's really pretty amazing. I hope CR writes a "how to develop game" book some day because I'd so buy it for the joy it would bring.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Beet Wagon posted:

At this point fleecing people is great and all, but my god...have they no shame? It's been a month.

What a clusterfuck.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Hobold posted:

Traffic Control in ED reminds me a lot of Eves Concord.

I could only hope SC had something similar, because the amount of tears and salt from :reddit: when one of those idiots loses a ship like that would be glorious.

Hell just look at old eve boards about idiots dying to concord, or ed pilots dying to station guns when they're loving around.

Obligatory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiE8_pz013g

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Beet Wagon posted:

Of course, that's all they can make now. Just make a new model and slap it on the baby's first Cry vehicle template.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

SomethingJones posted:

Erin Roberts:
Please, just be careful of what you're checking in, don't just get on, on Friday night, check something in and go home... that's for your own... I'm not having a go at U.S., but also just sort of take care, make sure you get, you know CHECKED and so forth and things cos that costs us more time than anything when basically the build BREAKS and then we gotta (inaudible)... you know it kills you HERE, it kills us in the UK, you know we come in in the morning and we've got 4 hours at LEAST before we have to find the big fix and then by the time of the end of the day we've got a build and... so we need to make sure that everyone is being really CAREFUL when doing that stuff and I'd rather everyone took an EXTRA HOUR and make sure the BUG'S FIXED and then um, then try and rush on to the next one.
growing_gonk.gif

That's beyond horrible and dysfunctional. No wonder they're progressing at a crawl.

And I can't believe they let that stay in the video. I guess they're assuming reddit is too dumb to notice.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

SomethingJones posted:

WARNING Verbal diarrhea incoming
This is the single most surreal transcript I have done to date.

Star Citizen: Around the Verse - Sep 21, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV2qhhtsMA0

In the words of Mike Nelson:

"I think a monkey wrote this with his penis." (It's not you SJ, this is the spilled over insane rambling of crobberts into other team members)

My brain broke reading this.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

big nipples big life posted:

the only time you see business meetings full of happy people is stock photography

We have a fairly fun time, mainly because meetings are so damned miserable sometimes. It helps if you can laugh, but the majority of the time it's because people really don't need to be in those meetings.

That one immediately seems a tad on the large side; I try to keep mine down to principals, have an actual plan and try not to extend over 30 minutes. The larger the meeting, the larger the surface area to cover.

toiletbrush posted:

I've been using JIRA for a year with a tiny team and it's been really nice, but then again we've stripped it down so much we may as well be using Trello. Its excuse for markup is loving dreadful though.

STAY AWAY FROM THE DATABASE. Seriously.

It's a tool like any other. The art is in working with the tools rather than against the tools, mainly because the tools don't care that you're having a bad time and would like to destroy.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

aleksendr posted:

How does that even fit ? The first one expect you to die a lot to learn the enemy mechanics and the other one punish you heavily on death.

Might as well play a DOS text game.

code:

Thank you for playing Starcitizen

You wake up in a wank pod. You can go (N)orth  or (E)ast

Go E

You go east. You walk trough the floor and die. gently caress you. 

c:\

You failed to mask your crash error with a "Thank you for playing Star Citizen!" hex edit.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Is there anyone other than Chris credited with a designer role on Star Citizen? I don’t recall seeing one but I don’t remember things too good.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

It will probably sell like Hotcakes to whales who stockpile CCUS.

3.0 Will release for christmas. It will be a new "planetary exploration" module available from the menu. Whoo ! Basic cryengine gameplay for 160M$ !

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Sindai posted:

And I can't believe they let that stay in the video. I guess they're assuming reddit is too dumb to notice.

I’m coming to the conclusion that whoever edits these videos has no idea how game development works or knows exactly how it does, is being held hostage, and these are their cry for help.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

aleksendr posted:

Make sense. The engine cant determine your position with enough precision to know when you cross the threshold. When your position relative to the door is within the engine margin of error your at the same time outside and inside the door, so poo poo breaks.

That's one aspect of doors. There's also the one where they'll migrate out of their doorway and out of the side of the ship. And the one where they're supposed to be keeping the air in.

Turn your door through 90º and what do you have? A Mechanical Piranha; the ramp.

quote:

“Listen,” said Ford, who was still engrossed in the sales brochure, “they make a big thing of the ship's cybernetics. A new generation of Sirius Cybernetics Corporation robots and computers, with the new GPP feature.”
“GPP feature?” said Arthur. “What's that?”

“Oh, it says Genuine People Personalities.”

“Oh,” said Arthur, “sounds ghastly.”

A voice behind them said, “It is.” The voice was low and hopeless and accompanied by a slight clanking sound. They span round and saw an abject steel man standing hunched in the doorway.

“What?” they said.

“Ghastly,” continued Marvin, “it all is. Absolutely ghastly. Just don't even talk about it. Look at this door,” he said, stepping through it. The irony circuits cut into his voice modulator as he mimicked the style of the sales brochure. “All the doors in this spaceship have a cheerful and sunny disposition. It is their pleasure to open for you, and their satisfaction to close again with the knowledge of a job well done.”

As the door closed behind them it became apparent that it did indeed have a satisfied sigh-like quality to it. “Hummmmmmmyummmmmmm ah!” it said.

Hobold posted:

Traffic Control in ED reminds me a lot of Eves Concord. the LAPD.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

happyhippy posted:

Remember when they showed a pool table in some bullshot make up and people were pissing themselves over the ability to play it ingame.

I would love to see the physic grid within a physic grid within a physic grid within a physic grid play pool.

The dream:

The pool balls shudder as the ship takes a hit, then float into the air along with the players and npcs and other objects as the gravity goo fails and alarm klaxons go off!

The potential:

The balls judder the first time they are hit, then shoot through the walls of the ship followed by the t-posed character who hit them as he slowly ejects into space also through a wall. The chat CR hates and wanted replaced 3 years ago fills with lol and wtf.

The likely reality:

The pool table is a static model in a ship that cannot be interacted with, and it has 70 megs of texture memory requirements that help to kill everybody's frame rate.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

runsamok posted:

My wife is a programmer on a globally-distributed project team. Every morning when she gets into work her favourite game starts: "What the gently caress have the Indians done now?" as they tend to get a little fast & loose with their commits & such when they're the only ones awake & coding.

Waaaaay too close to home here, friend! :tinfoil:

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

aka the "oh god all our whales are refunding conference"

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Serious question:

Does there exist in this universe a "WE TOLD YOU SO" big enough for the end of this fiasco?

Discuss.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

doingitwrong posted:

I’m reading this as a 4 part comic where they build the table proudly show it off, play on it for awhile, and then management removes it because it’s hurting productivity or whatever. Is that not what we’re seeing?

Taxxe: https://youtu.be/DuU82cQiv5k

I read this as the story of how a Craigslist user got a very odd collectable and doesn't even know it yet. Next month: Slightly used Space doors $20,000 OBO

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Berious posted:

aka the "oh god all our whales are refunding conference"

This is some sort of bizarre recreation of a stock photo of "business meeting".

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beet Wagon posted:

lol it's another loving motorcycle cynical way to sell idiots shitloads of LTI tokens or whatever it is.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

The Titanic posted:

Waaaaay too close to home here, friend! :tinfoil:

Actual conversation between my wife & one of her teammates.

They're doing a reorganization of the project & evidently she'll soon be the only Swede on the Indian team. This does not amuse her.

runsamok fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 22, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Its nice to see r/dereksmart freely admit to brigading a channel they dont like.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Cymelion having trouble accepting that he is a second class citizen.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

reverend crabhands posted:

Cymelion having trouble accepting that he is a second class citizen.

B-b-b-but he gave them 2.5 thousand dollars SURELY THAT MEANS SOMETHING! :( :reddit:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Foo Diddley posted:

I like this guy

I like how they thought about this enough to realize they'd need the backup system, so that one player going AFK in a doorway can't shut down the station, yet they didn't think about it enough to realize that they should just do the generic computer voice and scrap the rest of this convoluted bullshit. It's just so much complication for absolutely no gain--from the player's perspective, it is exactly the same whether it's a "real" NPC or a "fake" computer telling you which landing pad is free. Even if you go inside and gently caress with the NPC traffic controller, well, there's the backup system so you've done absolutely nothing. Also, you can be sure that this NPC is going to be sending just as much network data as a player, in a game where the server shits the bed at ~12 players, so they're spending all this time and effort for something that's actively detrimental to the gameplay experience

It's mind boggling just how loving little these people know about making a video game. Whenever you're thinking about adding a feature, you ask, "What is this going to do to our development time?" and compare that to "What is this going to do for gameplay?" If the former outweighs the latter, your feature isn't going in. Period. "B-but immersion!" gently caress you. The players are going to be immersed exactly one time, and you're going to be maintaining this code for the lifetime of the game. No. The feature doesn't go in. I feel sorry for the poor bastards at CIG who understand this, because Chris sure as gently caress doesn't

I'm the girl who wants to play a game all day where I can tell people and npcs they have permission to land on pad #. I want to get paid off so I can forget to scan the USS Millennium Enterprise when it comes in to land with a hot loaf of alien giraffe semen the player farmed for on a crysis like planet hunting fidelitous birds.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

The Titanic posted:

I'm the girl who wants to play a game all day where I can tell people and npcs they have permission to land on pad #. I want to get paid off so I can forget to scan the USS Millennium Enterprise when it comes in to land with a hot loaf of alien giraffe semen the player farmed for on a crysis like planet hunting fidelitous birds.

Woah, have you heard of Star Citizen??? It might just be the game for you!!!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

runsamok posted:

Actual conversation between my wife & one of her teammates.

They're doing a reorganization of the project & evidently she'll soon be the only Swede on the Indian team. This does not amuse her.

block out the names, duder.

The Titanic posted:

I want to get paid off so I can forget to scan the USS Millennium Enterprise when it comes in to land with a hot loaf of alien giraffe semen the player farmed for on a crysis like planet hunting fidelitous birds.

You had me at 'Giraffe semen'.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014
Good space game that exist recomendation time :

Do you have some free time this week-end ?

Did you love FTL ?

Did you love Hotline Miami ?

Wonder what a baby born of love from both would play like ?

Give Heat Signature a whirl. I have spent 10+ hours on it so far and the core gameplay loop is very solid.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/268130/Heat_Signature/

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Boring ATC development stuff from 22 years ago...

Friend of mine and myself are at the last leg of graduating. Major military type corporations are recruiting. And of course a few of the profs who are tenured work for said military contractors.

At the time the FAA was trying to replace the ATC cathode tube display that the controllers would see. You've seen them movies, the giant circular green thing with the spinning arm that updates faster than the frame rate of SC.

The main point of contention at the time was interfacing the old with the new. The FAA wanted a seamless duration for all this. So basically creating middleware and of course hardware to somewhat cobble 60's technology with the new stuff on a newer display with better graphics.

The number one complaint from the controllers is they couldn't see the CRT phosphor persistence on the new screens. So they had to add "trails" in at the time for flight paths and screen refreshes.

Besides that, imagine walking into a FAA office and see people asleep.

But hey, still the safest way to travel.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Hav posted:

block out the names, duder.

Done.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

doingitwrong posted:

I’m reading this as a 4 part comic where they build the table proudly show it off, play on it for awhile, and then management removes it because it’s hurting productivity or whatever. Is that not what we’re seeing?

Yes, I mean yes I hope so.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Slowmo? Yes please.

I was following this for a while and worrying about the actual gameplay loop, but it looks solid.

I'd probably do the timestamp too, but them I'm a hugely paranoid mofo from the 1980s who thinks that the kids of today are a bit fast and loose with identifying themselves.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Roflan posted:

Well, ya, but I mean literally without any downtime. For both GW2's expansions, I was ingame when they launched and actually forgot they were releasing that day. GW2 just doesn't have downtime whether for patches or expansions and I marvel at how they do it.

If I remember, they've been doing that poo poo since the first GW game. Thought it was amazing back in the day, get a message out of the blue, "Patch deployed, log out and download it or just wait to zone until its done!"

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
:rip: FYAD.

I've suggested their remaining members merge with us. I hope we can all accept them with open arms.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Roflan posted:

Really? Cool, then... Now if only FFXIV would do it...

At least it's not something SC will ever have to worry about.
yeah though with wow there's always a chance for something to go wrong that requires server restarts after the new stuff goes live, but it will totally go live at the designated time without requiring downtime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

zcrow posted:

The fun part is E:D have different voices depending on the station and affiliation and say the first three letters of your name and ship manufacturer when you request docking. I never needed any more than that to feel immersed.

I feel immersed every time I respond "gently caress you I do what I want" when the flight controller demands I reduce my speed

kinetic landings or bust

Hobold posted:

The whole time I was reading it, I was thinking, "So, how Elite does it?"

And trying to figure out what to do when players don't do what they're told.

Blow them the gently caress up. Just like Elite does it.

LOITERING IS PROHIBITED, CITIZEN

Hav posted:

Yep, and it's kinda amusing because;

"...basically the idea is to get Jira right, get Jira used properly..."

...means that they're struggling with agile development and probably don't have a decent scrummaster/project manager who's pulling this poo poo together. Jira as bug tracker is probably just a bit more complex than Mantis, but it's when you start loving with the extended Atlassian family that shits starts getting weird.

Personally I prefer a scrum that uses post-its, because the jira version doesn't loving scan. Hell, even Trello blows it out of the water.

Imagine hearing that for the fifteenth time. So they're directly cribbing from Elite now?

More importantly, they're not branching and are apparently checking in code that's unstable to the main working branch. I think I need to rescind my argument on their scrum problems and devolve it down to 'having problems working as a team'.

Amusingly, it also appears that they're not building tests around the fixes with the concept that they're fixing a bug incompletely and moving on; the illusion of speed rather than actual speed, because the lorry in front is load shedding.

I think the bolded bit alone is likely to be the key problem. I made an effortpost about "indie game companies rediscovering the wheel because they keep hiring inexperienced college grads to save on salaries" and having absolutely no automated tests is absolutely a common symptom of that.