Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

When 57 suggests you replace Tree Style Tabs with Tree Tabs don't do it. drat thing made the whole browser laggy and unresponsive while constantly writing a ton to disk. Instead get the WE nightly of TST https://piro.sakura.ne.jp/xul/xpi/nightly/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

dis astranagant posted:

When 57 suggests you replace Tree Style Tabs with Tree Tabs don't do it. drat thing made the whole browser laggy and unresponsive while constantly writing a ton to disk. Instead get the WE nightly of TST https://piro.sakura.ne.jp/xul/xpi/nightly/
Yeah, the TST webextension is really, really good. You just have to disable signature checks in about :config and install that nightly.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Boris Galerkin posted:

This popped up on my RSS feed

https://github.com/keraf/NoCoin

Which is an addon that's kinda like Adblock but it specifically blocks buttcoin miners in your browser.

I am speechless because I can't believe that this is actually a thing that is needed but apparently this is the world we live in now. Pirate Bay is an example of a website serving up such mining scripts, and if they are/can do it then I assume that all the shady poo poo tier advertisement networks are doing it too.

I'm posting this here because I wanted to ask if Firefox knows about this and whether or not they are doing anything to prevent it or am I going to have to start installing mining blockers from now on? The idea that I can visit a website and unknowingly burn up my battery to help someone mine 0.00000001 cents worth of magical internet money is just so dumb.

It's taken a little while, but this add-on has finally been ported to Firefox.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

RZApublican posted:

It's taken a little while, but this add-on has finally been ported to Firefox.
So it's a dumb blacklist? I'd much prefer if this was just another list in uBlock I could check or uncheck. The arguments made for making this another addon don't really hold water.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
[quote="“Flipperwaldt”" post="“476657081”"]
So it’s a dumb blacklist? I’d much prefer if this was just another list in uBlock I could check or uncheck. The arguments made for making this another addon don’t really hold water.
[/quote]

There probably is already a compatible list, and you can add custom ones to uBlock. Have a google.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

wooger posted:

There probably is already a compatible list, and you can add custom ones to uBlock. Have a google.

All I could find was an argument on the uBlock github about how coin-miners shouldn't be included because they apparently have legitimate uses. :rolleyes:

It might be part of the "badware" filter now, though.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Snuffman posted:

All I could find was an argument on the uBlock github about how coin-miners shouldn't be included because they apparently have legitimate uses. :rolleyes:

That nice, but anyone can maintain a list and make it available. uBlock allows any list to be added, regardless of whether it's included as a default.

Also, Gorhill is a good guy and will make the right choice.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Snuffman posted:

It's fixed and you should have the filters in your main uBlock filter file already. Later (not sure when), there will be a separate "Dark Patterns" filter set that you can enable/disable to cover this.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Firefox 58 (Nightly), Windows: You know how there was a Containers button on the control bar, looked like a file cabinet? The hell did it get to? It's not in Customize either.

Yes, I can still open containers through the File menu; no, I never had the containers extension on this profile; this is weird.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

dont be mean to me posted:

Firefox 58 (Nightly), Windows: You know how there was a Containers button on the control bar, looked like a file cabinet? The hell did it get to? It's not in Customize either.

Yes, I can still open containers through the File menu; no, I never had the containers extension on this profile; this is weird.

They probably want you to use the extension now.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

astral posted:

They probably want you to use the extension now.

Goddamnit, Mozilla.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

dont be mean to me posted:

Goddamnit, Mozilla.

if it helps, I read you can click and hold on the new tab button instead (without the extension)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

astral posted:

if it helps, I read you can click and hold on the new tab button instead (without the extension)

It is; thank you kindly.

Firefox has a nice What's New section on their new tab page, too; it'd be a shame if they didn't really use it.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I managed to get FF 57 so somewhat be usable again, even with missing a lot of stuff I'm used to (and no SALR will pervent it from being my primary browser until SA jumps to the new software in 2025 anyway). One thing I couldn't find: A add-on or setting that allows me to open new tab from a link on the end of the tabbar instead of right next to the tab that opened it. Anyone know how to get this functionality back?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Just set browser.tabs.insertRelatedAfterCurrent to false.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Thanks! It doesn't change the behaviour on FF 57 Developer Edition for me, but that might Tab Center Redux interfering. Knowing that the option exists helps me a lot already.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Works for me on Nightly, so yeah, I'd look at your add-ons to see if any are doing weird poo poo.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
57 hit the beta channel. The new blue theme is pretty weird. I like the fact that you can make things even more compact now. I have gotten so use to the refresh button being in the URL bar that I ended up just moving it back nearby it.

I kinda liked the old hamburger menu with the large buttons. I had customized that with addons and stuff that I didn't use that often to get them out of the way. I guess I just gotta get used to the >> More Tools menu now.

I enjoy the new Library button. It is a much more convenient way to access my synced tabs and such.

The pocket stuff has been integrated directly into the URL bar now, but I still really hate the way it has been integrated. It still has the old behavior. If you click it, you add the current page to pocket, then it pops up a menu to remove the page or to view your list. If you actually just want to view your list, you have to go to the Library button and click the "View Pocket List" button. I wish the whole process was much more seamless.

In all, I like the changes to 57. Most things seem more sensibly placed, and everything is very snappy. Going without SALR and Greasemonkey is pretty terrible, though. Apparently Greasemonkey is going for a full-on compatibility breaking rewrite because of Firefox 57, so that sucks. I guess I'll have to switch to Tampermonkey or Violentmonkey or something in the meantime. From what I hear, they are both kinda sub-optimal in how they were forced to be designed, but I don't use many complex scripts anyway.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 26, 2017

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

57 really doesn't like idle games and background tabs in general. Even just a couple dozen tabs will grind switching between them to a crawl.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Nalin posted:

In all, I like the changes to 57. Most things seem more sensibly placed, and everything is very snappy. Going without SALR and Greasemonkey is pretty terrible, though. Apparently Greasemonkey is going for a full-on compatibility breaking rewrite because of Firefox 57, so that sucks. I guess I'll have to switch to Tampermonkey or Violentmonkey or something in the meantime. From what I hear, they are both kinda sub-optimal in how they were forced to be designed, but I don't use many complex scripts anyway.

drat, I was wondering how Greasemonkey's progress for 57 was going. That doesn't sound good.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Fangs404 posted:

drat, I was wondering how Greasemonkey's progress for 57 was going. That doesn't sound good.

Yeah. I believe that because of how WebExtensions and stuff is designed, they had to make some big compromises, so they ended up just starting fresh. WebExtensions has no file system support, so you have to do script editing inside an internal text editor now, and the scripts get saved inside a database. Apparently, there were also serious problems with how the scripts were loaded synchronously. They are now completely switching to an asynchronous API and changing the way the Greasemonkey API works to use Javascript Promises.

I ended up downloading Violentmonkey (through github because the AMO version is stupidly old) and tossing my scripts into that. The scripts that I do use all still seem to work, so I'm good for now.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Avenging Dentist posted:

Works for me on Nightly, so yeah, I'd look at your add-ons to see if any are doing weird poo poo.

Tree Style Tabs (web extension edition) was the culprit. Works great now! Thanks again.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Take a Screenshot in the context menu is really messing with my muscle memory to Inspect Element

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
If I create a new tab and hit the home button, if I type in a url, or select one from the list, it hangs forever. Hyperlinks are fine. Help. Upgraded to 56 (32-bit) last night, Windows 8.1.

edit: Okay, it seems more specifically, empty New Tabs are completely inert and can't load anything. System restart did nothing.

Edit2: Adding New Tab Override completely fixed it. Hopefully 57 resolves this so I don't have to use it.

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 29, 2017

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
I'm not a huge fan of the new options layout. I liked it better when it was more separated. Now, all the options are just thrown together on 3 main pages.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Agreed, it's really annoying now since I spend so much time looking at that screen.

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 29, 2017

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I suppose they want you to use the search box at the top of the Options page to get where you're going. How come you spend so much time looking at the Options anyway? Just curious.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
56 made my search bar completely unusable, went back to 55.0.3.

Maha fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 30, 2017

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Why did Tab Center stop working? I thought it's by mozilla smh

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

xamphear posted:

Yeah, the TST webextension is really, really good. You just have to disable signature checks in about :config and install that nightly.

no that only works in dev builds

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Fangs404 posted:

I'm not a huge fan of the new options layout. I liked it better when it was more separated. Now, all the options are just thrown together on 3 main pages.

The options screen was never good before, really. And was super overdue for a redesign.

Not that the new one is necessarily great.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

mike12345 posted:

no that only works in dev builds

57 was only available as a nightly build when I posted that. I think the beta hadn't been released yet.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Firefox updated to 57 and now i have to fiddle with all my user scripts and styles :ohdear: :ohdear:

v. annoying

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

xamphear posted:

57 was only available as a nightly build when I posted that. I think the beta hadn't been released yet.

It had just gone out for beta and dev edition when I made the post you quoted.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Ughhghgh, I didn't realize how many user scripts and styles I use every day.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Stylus is a good replacement for stylish.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Dodoman posted:

Stylus is a good replacement for stylish.

I have to replace stylish=?=!!=!!

:pusheen:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

mike12345 posted:

I have to replace stylish=?=!!=!!

:pusheen:

For everything that's not firefox, you should have replaced stylish already. The extension got bought out and became a telemetry collector of every website you visit.

On firefox they didn't bother updating the extension.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Well is it a straight up "copy your styles over" thing or do they need to have heavy rewrites at all? Does Stylus automatically import?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yes, I'd like to know this too, please.

I have a surprising number of scripts running, which I didn't even realise until I went and checked just now.