Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Grakkus posted:

Any chance you could take a wild guess at how much such a road tax would be? The 525i theoretically burns about 9.5L/100km.

No needs for wild guesses: that will cost you DKK3800 twice a year (roughly €1000 per year) - you can see for yourself here http://skat.dk/skat.aspx?oid=2234535

InitialDave posted:

What are the rules, though, on driving a foreign plated car? Maybe you can get away with it by just leaving the country briefly every six months or so.

I think this should be investigated. There is, at least, some sort of grace period, judging by the number of polish plated cars I see around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
FeelsLike™ temperature in Minneapolis: 100 loving degrees. Thought I had at least the autumn to fix my A/C so today I get to drive home in my underwear :buddy:

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

bolind posted:

No needs for wild guesses: that will cost you DKK3800 twice a year (roughly €1000 per year) - you can see for yourself here http://skat.dk/skat.aspx?oid=2234535

I think this should be investigated. There is, at least, some sort of grace period, judging by the number of polish plated cars I see around.

Thanks for the info. That's perfectly doable.

I looked into driving a foreign plated car - the rule is apparently that I can drive a foreign plated car here 6 months out of every year, as long as I'm not a registered resident of Denmark (If I become a resident by buying a property or getting a job, I'll have 14 days to reregister any car I'm driving). I'm wondering if I can get away with swapping cars every so often - my business is based in Poland and I will be returning fairly regularly so the opportunity is there.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

scuz posted:

today I get to drive home in my underwear :buddy:

Don't forget to visit the drive-thru staffed by the hot girl.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

scuz posted:

FeelsLike™ temperature in Minneapolis: 100 loving degrees. Thought I had at least the autumn to fix my A/C so today I get to drive home in my underwear :buddy:

It's just barely cracked 70 just now here in LA.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Yay back in the UK! *flies over seemingly gridlocked M1 through drizzle*
*Gets home*
*Hugs wife and kids*
*Cooks dinner*
*Sits down to watch TV*

*Scratching at windows*
*Sound of Every Breath You Take being played on a balalaika*

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Yay back in the UK! *flies over seemingly gridlocked M1 through drizzle*

Congratulations for making it through the pussy explosions!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

Fuel evaporation perhaps? How hot was it?

Funnily enough fuel vaporisation was my fathers suggestion too.

When it first stopped I tested the spark, which was good (I touched the gearstick as I was holding a HT lead against the block and it loving hurt), but i swapped the coil for the one off my Saab anyway - and this made no difference.

When I got back to it I sprayed easy start into a vacuum pipe and it would run briefly on that, so it looks to be fuel related. I datalogged it and the Megasquirt was getting and doing everything that i thought it should be.

The last things I did before it started were
a) remove the fuel return line and squirted a load of fuel out to ensure the pump was working (it goes right across the engine bay - so yes!)
b) test the engine wiring loom to the injector with my multimeter (both banks had power and the earths back to the ecu connector were good)
c) Manually ran both banks of injectors for a couple of seconds by jumping the ECU connector to earth. I could hear them running.

I guess these would have cleared any fuel issues

It wasn't that hot a day today, and the engine had barely got to temperature.. but how it is fitted in the 101 there is gently caress all airflow round the top of the engine - the plenum is 20mm below the engine cover so this is probably much hotter than for its typical fitting.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Riding bicycle home last night I got stuck behind a jacked up Silverado. Basically new, had to be a 4-6" lift, wheels way outside the fenders. Custom wheels, had to be like 14" wide. With 10" wide tires. Rims were the widest part of the wheel/tire combo.

OMG that one little detail made it go from "ugly, but functional" to "fugly and complete poser poo poo".

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

While I was out breaking down in my landrover today the person who won my car on ebay last weekend turned up to pay for and collect it, but obviously couldn't because I was not in.

If you were going to get a lift 50-odd miles to collect a car after being told "let me know when you are going to come and collect it" you would contact the seller before you left home right?... especially if you were turning up 24 hours later than originally agreed?..

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Tomarse posted:

While I was out breaking down in my landrover today the person who won my car on ebay last weekend turned up to pay for and collect it, but obviously couldn't because I was not in.

If you were going to get a lift 50-odd miles to collect a car after being told "let me know when you are going to come and collect it" you would contact the seller before you left home right?... especially if you were turning up 24 hours later than originally agreed?..

I just helped a colleague who sold a car 1.5 months ago and neither they nor the buyer had still figured out how to correctly do a change of owner on the V5 (the title) despite a)it being the first hit on Google and b)the process being printed on the V5 itself.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Brit goons, is there some loophole to getting a Q plate that I'm currently unaware of? I just saw a completely standard looking LTI taxi rolling around Reading with one on.

Excepting that it may be the world's best sleeper, what gives?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

InitialDave posted:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

jammyozzy posted:

Brit goons, is there some loophole to getting a Q plate that I'm currently unaware of? I just saw a completely standard looking LTI taxi rolling around Reading with one on.

quote:

The ‘Q’ shows that the vehicle was either not originally registered in the UK and proof of age was unavailable at registration, or that it has been built using a significant proportion of used parts.

If a vehicle has to be rebuilt, say after an accident and many new or used parts have been used that it calls the identity of the vehicle into question, the vehicle needs to be registered on a ‘Q’ Plate. This is done through the DVLA. It does not mean that there is anything wrong with the vehicle, just that it’s original identity cannot be clarified from the parts it is made from (i.e. from different vehicle

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
God drat

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
"Nothing wrong with this pile of ship we Theseused back together"

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Loads of ex military vehicles used to get given Qs rather than age related plates. I think it's probably just simpler for them. I suspect that the accepted 'proof of age' has to be of the right form.

Looks like imported stuff is similar.

My landy got given a 1982 reg rather than a Q when it was sold by the MOD in 2000 ish. They picked 82 as they obviously had some mod paperwork saying it entered service in 82.

It was actually built in 78 (then sat in a warehouse till 82).
I have to get a rover factory build cert to get the DVLA to change its build date, after which point I could apply for a new age related plate if I wanted too.

Or it might be a sweet sleeper...

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

scuz posted:

I'm a little south of you, but a few hot days in September is the price to pay for what may be the most pleasant August I can recall since I moved back to the midwest.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

InitialDave posted:

:catstare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q4RaHhXbRM

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

ilkhan posted:

Riding bicycle home last night I got stuck behind a jacked up Silverado. Basically new, had to be a 4-6" lift, wheels way outside the fenders. Custom wheels, had to be like 14" wide. With 10" wide tires. Rims were the widest part of the wheel/tire combo.

OMG that one little detail made it go from "ugly, but functional" to "fugly and complete poser poo poo".

CenCal is a cancer.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

jammyozzy posted:

As Spog said, it's effectively a "we don't know what the gently caress this is" reg. They're generally seen as undesirable on most stuff.

DICK DICER posted:

"Nothing wrong with this pile of ship we Theseused back together"
Actually, if it's over 25 years old for all the bits you used to make it are "right", you can get a normal age-related registration.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-chit-chat/978743-cen-cal-style-trucks-wtf.html

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

CenCal.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I loving swear to every loving diety that does or doesn't loving exist, this loving car is cursed. But only the front left corner. THIRD GODDAMN TIME I'VE BEEN CLIPPED IN THE SAME SPOT.

Dude started to take off too. Had to chase him down. He admitted he took off because he doesn't have a license. He's insured though (?!?).

It looks like pretty much all rubber transfer from his tires (he had wide tires/wheels on his Explorer), and we both want to handle it outside of insurance (I have 2 not at fault claims in 3 years, another will definitely affect my rates despite not being at fault). Gonna go get a quote from a body shop to do it "right", then get a quote from a detailer to just buff it and make it look, well, the same as the body shop would. I don't see any paint damage, and the clear is still in good shape on the bumper and left fender (... they were repainted last October from a similar incident :fuckoff:). He's agreed that if it winds up being more than he can afford, we'll go through his insurance (and if it winds up not being valid insurance, well, I have UM/UIM, both property and medical). I'm also concerned it'd be a write off if I go through insurance - it's a Saturn with nearly 200k, book value isn't exactly a lot.

Dashcam caught it, I have his info, the phone # he gave me was real (talked to him when I got home from work), so if he'll play ball with having someone get the rubber transfer off, I'll be happy. Part of me wants to call his insurance anyway since he started to run, but I won't be pissed off enough to do that until he flakes out.

Corner light is sitting kinda funny, so is the headlight, but the hood lines up fine, hood latches fine, fenders line up with the hood fine, bumper and lights line up fine on the other side, so I think maybe the bucket that they attach to got pushed over slightly. That's something I can deal with myself.

There was zero damage to his Explorer. Even his wheel didn't get a scratch. there was a questionable dent on his rear quarter (I was the one to point it out, not him), but I mentioned it seemed too high for my car to cause it (and going back and looking at dashcam, I'm right, it was there before we met).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Sep 23, 2017

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

gently caress that guy if he's driving without a license, insurance or not. Sounds like the kind of guy who'll pretend to play ball and try to get a friend of a friend of a dealer of a friend fix your car for you. Make the phone call.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ordinarily, I'd agree.

The neighborhood this happened in, though... it's mostly by the minute hotels and the worst of the bad strip clubs. It's not a good area at all. (Dallas goons - this happened down the street from Cole Manor, on Empire Central - closer to 35 than Harry Hines, but we all know nothing near Harry Hines is remotely "good"). I'm just glad I got him to stop at all, and without winding up with bullet holes.

I just got back from the grocery store, and got a decent look under their parking lot lighting - the damage really is minor, aside from the wheel. The corner light might need to be replaced. There's zero body/paint damage, all of the black poo poo just scrapes off with a fingernail (much of it comes off with just a light brush of a finger). The wheel is kinda hosed, it has a few small chunks taken out of it.

I have a copy of his insurance card. I have the whole thing on dashcam (including me chasing him down, and the first few seconds of our face to face interaction). I have no idea if the name he gave me is real or not, but it matches what's on the insurance card he handed me. The phone number he gave me is his. The dashcam video is good enough to make out the license plate and identifying marks on his vehicle (stickers + dents). If he won't play ball, I'll absolutely involve insurance and police, but at the moment, I'm fine with giving him a chance to make it right. I'm going to have a body shop quote within 12 hours (which will be $lol$), and I'll hit up a couple of detailers to see what it'll take to make it look right (most likely just a buff + wax on that corner).

Also, I have 2 claims in the past 3 years. Both are not at fault claims, but I know another one will hurt my rates even more.

If I didn't have the existing claims, I'd be going straight to making a claim. But this is a buff + used wheel (and maybe :10bux: corner light) away from being fixed.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Sep 23, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Double post, but... a coworker just retired one of his cars, and I'm kinda considering it for a second car.

2006 Prius. It's whatever trim has leather, the smart key, navigation, etc. Does not have automatic headlights or a sunroof, has regular halogen headlights. I guess it's whatever the mid tier was?

Good things: HV pack is only ~2 years old. New shocks/struts all around. New drive axles. New suspension bushings all the way around. Full maintenance history since he got it at 100k, and he's always taken it to the dealer for everything, including oil changes every 5k. New tires. New brakes in the past 30k. New master cylinder/brake accumulator/whatever the gently caress Toyota calls it, it's expensive as gently caress. AC is ice cold. CVT fluid has been changed religiously every 50k since he's owned it. All maintenance is up to date. New tires. He's absolutely OCD about maintenance. 50-60 mpg depending how angry you are. No rust. No warning lights.

Bad things: 300k. Always dealer serviced. The battery pack may be 2 years old, but that's still 150k in this case. Touchscreen on radio is dead (it comes back to life for a week or so if you disconnect the 12V battery), so you can't use navigation or change the presets. It keeps eating drivers side half shafts, likely related to the motor mounts being basically gone. Steering has some play (dealer says it needs a steering rack, but he says the tires are wearing evenly). Says it burns about a quart of oil every 1000-1500, but can't find any leaks (I work with a few other people with Priuses, they complain about similar oil consumption). Clear coat is basically gone. Headlights will either need to be polished or replaced, they're nearly opaque.

He's asking $2000, but admits some wiggle room, and he's upfront about issues. It'd be nice to have a 2nd car for work (especially one with so much more room than what I have now). And given his OCD about maintenance, I'm sure it has another 200-300k left in it.

Should I think about jumping on that, or run away? I would probably just ignore the steering rack, and tackle the axle + motor mounts immediately.

(also he replaced it with a 2017 Prius 2.. he's already bitching about the cloth seats and having to use a key again :laffo: but managed to get it for $21k out the door :stare: - that makes his 3rd hybrid, 1st was a Honda Insight that got taken out by a drunk driver)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Sep 23, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Thanks to me having to drive near a different gas station, and me wanting to save five cents a gallon, I was a mile away instead of at the gas station when and where apparently Mesa PD killed a guy tonight. :stare:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Double post, but... a coworker just retired one of his cars, and I'm kinda considering it for a second car.

2006 Prius. It's whatever trim has leather, the smart key, navigation, etc. Does not have automatic headlights or a sunroof, has regular halogen headlights. I guess it's whatever the mid tier was?

Good things: HV pack is only ~2 years old. New shocks/struts all around. New drive axles. New suspension bushings all the way around. Full maintenance history since he got it at 100k, and he's always taken it to the dealer for everything, including oil changes every 5k. New tires. New brakes in the past 30k. New master cylinder/brake accumulator/whatever the gently caress Toyota calls it, it's expensive as gently caress. AC is ice cold. CVT fluid has been changed religiously every 50k since he's owned it. All maintenance is up to date. New tires. He's absolutely OCD about maintenance. 50-60 mpg depending how angry you are. No rust. No warning lights.

Bad things: 300k. Always dealer serviced. The battery pack may be 2 years old, but that's still 150k in this case. Touchscreen on radio is dead (it comes back to life for a week or so if you disconnect the 12V battery), so you can't use navigation or change the presets. It keeps eating drivers side half shafts, likely related to the motor mounts being basically gone. Steering has some play (dealer says it needs a steering rack, but he says the tires are wearing evenly). Says it burns about a quart of oil every 1000-1500, but can't find any leaks (I work with a few other people with Priuses, they complain about similar oil consumption). Clear coat is basically gone. Headlights will either need to be polished or replaced, they're nearly opaque.

He's asking $2000, but admits some wiggle room, and he's upfront about issues. It'd be nice to have a 2nd car for work (especially one with so much more room than what I have now). And given his OCD about maintenance, I'm sure it has another 200-300k left in it.

Should I think about jumping on that, or run away? I would probably just ignore the steering rack, and tackle the axle + motor mounts immediately.

(also he replaced it with a 2017 Prius 2.. he's already bitching about the cloth seats and having to use a key again :laffo: but managed to get it for $21k out the door :stare: - that makes his 3rd hybrid, 1st was a Honda Insight that got taken out by a drunk driver)

Jump on this poo poo right away if you can afford it. Can you get it for $1500-1600?

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I was under the impression your insurance company doesn't care about not at faults.

So earlier I said I didn't plan to use my class A but I forgot to mention my idea of getting a nice used tractor with a sleeper cab, and a used custom trailer with a garage and lift in the back and living area up front. Have that as a mobile base and just hook up at a long term trailer park like a low budget nightrider.

thoughts?

I'm seeing some good trailers online so far. None exactly how I'd want, I'd like something built on a lowboy frame.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

*Gets home*
*Hugs wife and kids*
*Cooks dinner*
*Sits down to watch TV*

*Scratching at windows*

https://youtu.be/JYAkoZeV75I

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

2006 Prius

Do it. Those cars are stupendously reliable, and it sounds like most of the issues are minor.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/23/travel-warning-issued-for-bali-as-volcano-threatens-to-erupt?CMP=share_btn_link

lol awesome we fly in three days 😌🔫🛩🌋

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Elsa posted:

I was under the impression your insurance company doesn't care about not at faults.

they don't... until you have 2-3 of them in a few years. I don't think they can drop me for them in my state, but they can raise my rates.

Jump on this poo poo right away if you can afford it. Can you get it for $1500-1600?

I think so.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Can you afford to pay double insurance?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Elsa posted:

So earlier I said I didn't plan to use my class A but I forgot to mention my idea of getting a nice used tractor with a sleeper cab, and a used custom trailer with a garage and lift in the back and living area up front. Have that as a mobile base and just hook up at a long term trailer park like a low budget nightrider.

thoughts?

I'm seeing some good trailers online so far. None exactly how I'd want, I'd like something built on a lowboy frame.

Insurance on big trucks is expensive, so check on that.

When traveling on the interstate, you'll have to stop and get weighed, and explain why you don't have DOT numbers. ...Unless you plan on running those too, which also means maintaining participation in a random drug testing program. I hear it's a pain for an owner/operator, no personal experience.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Somebody beat the ever living gently caress out of the person who was stalking me. I guess I wasn't the only person on their stalk list and somebody didn't take too kindly to the attention.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Seminal Flu posted:

Can you afford to pay double insurance?

Adds $30/month to have it on my policy, with comprehensive ($250 deductible) and UM/UIM (property and bodily injury).

So... not terribly painful.

e: OTOH I can't cough up $1500ish right now, so I'll probably hold off. More that likely it's just going to sit in his driveway for the next year or two (he tends to do that when he gets a new car, driving the sitting car once a month for a day or so), so it'll probably still be there when I do have the money. His BMW (98 325i, nothing special before you guys get pissy) sat for 4 years, only getting driven when the Prius was in the shop or his wife's car was in the shop, and he finally sold it to another coworker a couple of months ago.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Somebody beat the ever living gently caress out of the person who was stalking me. I guess I wasn't the only person on their stalk list and somebody didn't take too kindly to the attention.

Based on your current luck, I'd be afraid that you've got a super-stalker and he decided to get rid of the competition.

• Locked thread