Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Dunno if it's been posted, but is anyone else getting energy and not unity from purging organic pops as a Determined Exterminator?

Because that has got to be a bug, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Playstation 4 posted:

"The only moral slavery is my slavery"

This but only semi-ironically. Xenophobe voiceover so good.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Man, the degree of cheating from the AI is kind of frustrating. You ever tag over in the midgame to compare an AI empire's nominal income compared to actual? It's ridiculous.

I'm looking at an AI fanatic purifier in 2294: 03.29, their minerals are at 562, with stated income of +106. On 04.01, they're at 813, an actual gain of 251, over twice their nominal. I don't know if it's bonuses to income or reductions to upkeep or what, but it really doesn't feel like I'm playing by the same rules as my opponents here - they can build and sustain fleets that would bankrupt me.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 23, 2017

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

wow, what a dick.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Oh man assimilators are strong as hell. Not only can you take enemy planets, when all their pops get borged the happiness penalties vanish.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Strudel Man posted:

Man, the degree of cheating from the AI is kind of frustrating. You ever tag over in the midgame to compare an AI empire's nominal income compared to actual? It's ridiculous.

I'm looking at an AI fanatic purifier in 2294: 03.29, their minerals are at 562, with stated income of +106. On 04.01, they're at 813, an actual gain of 251, over twice their nominal. I don't know if it's bonuses to income or reductions to upkeep or what, but it really doesn't feel like I'm playing by the same rules as my opponents here - they can build and sustain fleets that would bankrupt me.

Unfortunately AI cheating is a staple of the 4X genre because making an AI that can compete with skilled players is incredibly difficult if not nearly impossible. The easier difficulties have less cheating.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

I did a liberation war as the assimilators and got this, so I assume doing liberation wars with hiveminds also does the same thing.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

It doesn't bug me except that your neighbors all build the massive doom fleets.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Cheen posted:

As a driven assimilator, can you not create more of your android servants?

Nope, but it's been acknowledged as "will be hotfixed" by Wiz (I think in this thread? Or possibly reddit)

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Any chance we can a goongame on Saturday?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I'm sure someone had mentioned it, but I can't find it: can you robomod the pops created from synthetic ascension?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The new template system works super good for bots once you get going, but for the love of god it needs an easier way to diverge your initial bot pool than templating entire planets and resettling.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Unfortunately AI cheating is a staple of the 4X genre because making an AI that can compete with skilled players is incredibly difficult if not nearly impossible. The easier difficulties have less cheating.
Hell, I'm playing on normal.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
RIP my first robot game. Contingency planet popped up in my space with 2 80000 fleets which I could not match and no one did anything to help. nothing to be done. sucks.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Man I just bought all the DLCs and got back into this and it's so good.

My only complaint is that I seem to have rolled up a galaxy with very few habitable planets. I've got half a spiral arm all to myself and I managed a whole six planets, four of which I could actually colonize and one of which had atomic age primitives on it.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

vyelkin posted:

Man I just bought all the DLCs and got back into this and it's so good.

My only complaint is that I seem to have rolled up a galaxy with very few habitable planets. I've got half a spiral arm all to myself and I managed a whole six planets, four of which I could actually colonize and one of which had atomic age primitives on it.

There's a slider for that in the game creation screen. The default now is pretty barren, yeah, but you can easily bump up the chance of habitable planets spawning to your taste.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

metasynthetic posted:

Playing this game for the first time in about a year, got the expansion. Was going to upgrade my old races to be compatible, but noticed something fishy. This is a brand new race, notice the world preferences:

All of them. This can't be right?

The only mod I have enabled right now is No Clustered Starts.

Edit: tested, get the same thing with no mods turned on.

metasynthetic posted:

Starting from a fresh install, I'm having the following problem:

All my old races have the 'traits' box highlighted red. All of their traits are colored red too, but if I remove and re-add them, this removes the red flag.

However, for hive minds, the "Hive-minded" mandatory trait cannot be removed. Under ethics, completely removing the hive mind type and giving it generic ethics, saving, then coming back and re-adding Hive mind re-adds Hive-minded, but it's red again. Something similar happens with Syncretic Evolution.

I spent some time updating all my old races (that I could) to clear their traits. I exited the program to test what effect disabling / re-enabling the DLC had, and now all the races I just refreshed are red again.

This sucks.

I really enjoy creating these races for a playthrough and then encountering them again as enemies / allies in future playthroughs. It's like building my own little canon sci-fi universe, dreading running into the Soto Diaspora, or coming across the Ascalonian-Kadeshi-Corradan bloc that usually forms if they're in diplo range of each other. Taking that away diminishes a lot of the fun.

Quoting myself again because I'm still having these problems and it makes no drat sense. I've outright unsubscribed all mods, uninstalled the game, reinstalled, and I'm still getting this. Can someone confirm for me that 'no you should not be able to select literally every planetary preference simultaneously at empire creation'? Confirmed that AI empires were getting multiple random preferences at the start as well, including weird poo poo (tomb worlds and such). Makes me not even want to play.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Trip report: missiles still crap. I just had a missile and bomber/fighter armed fleet lose to a fleet without PD that had a lower force rating - 13k to 12k. Stick to energy & kinetics, kids.

Edit: and then my enemies on the other side pounced as soon as my fleet was down. For a moment I thought weapon types might be balanced, but alas not.

Edit edit: it seems to be a factor of travel time. Missiles & fighters are slow, while other weapons are instant - this means your front wave can die rapidly even before your weapons get to the target.

Aethernet fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Sep 23, 2017

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Aethernet posted:

Trip report: missiles still crap. I just had a missile and bomber/fighter armed fleet lose to a fleet without PD that had a lower force rating - 13k to 12k. Stick to energy & kinetics, kids.

Edit: and then my enemies on the other side pounced as soon as my fleet was down. For a moment I thought weapon types might be balanced, but alas not.

Edit edit: it seems to be a factor of travel time. Missiles & fighters are slow, while other weapons are instant - this means your front wave can die rapidly even before your weapons get to the target.

The range is supposed to be it's boost for that, but alas, uncontrollable ships and Ork behaviour.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

metasynthetic posted:

Quoting myself again because I'm still having these problems and it makes no drat sense. I've outright unsubscribed all mods, uninstalled the game, reinstalled, and I'm still getting this. Can someone confirm for me that 'no you should not be able to select literally every planetary preference simultaneously at empire creation'? Confirmed that AI empires were getting multiple random preferences at the start as well, including weird poo poo (tomb worlds and such). Makes me not even want to play.

Do you have a save (and have you manually deleted your mods folder)? This does sound really crazy.

Like, I'm pretty sure it's mods messing with you but if they're doing so from beyond the grave, then...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Aethernet posted:

I can't comment on missiles in the current patch, but all weapons were always instant previously. The animations were only for show, your ships would take damage immediately after a missile was fired.

Strike craft are the exception, those were always slow as hell.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Missiles seem worse to me. What'd they change about them?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The new music is so good. I wish the DLC music showed up in the soundtrack, or had their own soundtracks I could buy. :(

SteamApps/Common/Stellaris/dlc/dlc_16_synthetic_dawn

The zip file in there has the music, as .ogg files.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Mechs are cool and all but it's really tiring to go around queueing up drones constantly on every planet. When's the DLC that lets us go full organic? Gimme some upgradable Space Amoebas and other weird space poo poo to conquer the galaxy with.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
How do you usually deal with the core planets limit? Just cart off your more advanced planets to a sector and hope the game doesn't mess them up?

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Fat Samurai posted:

How do you usually deal with the core planets limit? Just cart off your more advanced planets to a sector and hope the game doesn't mess them up?

Aside from enough to keep them rolling, you never want to give anything but your bottom tier to sectors as it's a permanent 25% loss of output unless you expend influence. All of my civs that I play are setup to avoid sectors as much as possible cause they blow.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

LordMune posted:

Do you have a save (and have you manually deleted your mods folder)? This does sound really crazy.

Like, I'm pretty sure it's mods messing with you but if they're doing so from beyond the grave, then...

I didn't manually delete the mods folder, but I just went to C:\Users\<me>\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Stellaris\mod and it was empty.

I just started a new game by mashing Random at the empire select screen, and the generated empire is exhibiting the "pick a bunch of biomes" behavior. Link to the save:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5seuk2yaxzjvx82/test.sav

Also, some more pics of the issues I'm seeing, in case they help:

My cursor is highlighting the Cedarans' locked icon, I made them originally in release vanilla, no mods. Updated them as patches altered balance but never included any mod or DLC exclusive features that I recall. For some reason the Harmonium at the top doesn't give the same problems all the rest do - I don't recall which patch I made them in but it was at least post Leviathans. The Soto were originally a Hive Mind made at Utopia release, but in my efforts to fix them recently I totally changed their government and now can't switch it back, because if I do I get this:

Hive-minded in red after re-choosing the Hive Mind government type. Also picked a bunch of biome preferences for giggles.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

I have the same problems. :(

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Played around with it some more - found out that even when uninstalling, some trace files were left behind, and I think the culprit is 2 files located at:

<root>\SteamApps\common\Stellaris\common\traits

00_habitability_traits.txt
00_species_traits.txt

Dunno if these are mod files or core files that should have been swept up earlier. Between manually removing all traces of the Stellaris folder after uninstalling, and disabling cloud usage, I got my poo poo working normally.

Also, one of those steps wiped all my saved empires :negative:

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Just install mine, it's totally not insane.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Ok, for me it seems to be those 2 files specifically. Restoring the rest of my lingering Stellaris folder, but deleting the Traits folder entirely and re-verifying, fixed all the issues for me. Including getting my custom races back.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff
Loved playing my technology seeking robots but two things forced me to abandon my first game:

First, after waging an annoyingly long war for a Ruined Sentry Array, I found out that apparently the ruined array already counts towards the "one per empire" count, so by the virtue of owning the thing, you are unable to either repair the ruined one or build one from scratch. So that sucks.

Second, someone spawned the unbidden and they just curb stomped everyone, including my biggest-in-the-galaxy fleet of 80k fleet power. That was despite setting the crisis strength from the default of 1.5 to 1 in the game creation menu.

Wondering whether I should just restart with even lower crisis strength or try something new.

E: Also, I absolutely love the "The Culture (Mephane)" mod that adds a long name list from the Culture universe. Getting a report from my science vessel "GCU Well I Was In The Neighborhood" or sending in my primary fleet "Interesting Time Gang" never got old :allears:

Loezi fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Sep 23, 2017

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Anyone notice their ships mysteriously disappearing mid-battle? I just went through two skirmishes with two different fleets where I lost three capital ships and a cruiser, while the battle summaries claimed that no ships were destroyed on my side. And they shouldn't have been, either. The enemy had sticks and stones to my BFGs and barely got a shot off before it was gone. No mods.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
So after thinking it over for all of the two seconds it took me to notice, is there any reason at all ever, to not have these be your bio-trophy traits as a servitor?

I mean, I look at it this way:

1. You cannot stop being robutts, and thus, ever utilize them as normal pops.
2. They produce nothing but unity, a resource with no trait boosters.
3. Obscene CG costs, i mean poo poo, this is already .5 minerals with two bio-trophies at 2200.01.01
4. You don't want slow breeders, nor to have to constantly flip the 10-year-cooldown "please stop" button early on.
5. They can now go to any planet ever, with no need for research, allowing you to utilize your butts to maximum potential.

E: Frankly I'm starting to think I should just erase this cause it's just gonna get taken out now cause gently caress you for finding a way around the obscene costs and restrictions.

Playstation 4 fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Sep 23, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
So, what's the trick to playing robots? Are they just tuned for Stellaris savants? Because no matter how well I think I'm doing, well...

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Ha ha, gently caress me for putting off researching Machine Templates when it first turned up, I'm now 50 years into my assimilator-run and it just now showed up again.

The best part? Making robo-templates turned out to be great fun, but since I can only apply templates on a per-planet base... :suicide:

At least I guess my newer bots will all be optimized for their tasks!

By the way, how does the game decide what pop can be chosen as a possible leader? Is it just a chance based on population percentages? Because I'm planning to apply my special leader-template to pops meant to sit on stuff like unity-buildings, just so I can cheese the game into putting some of them into my leader-roster.

Edit:

Or I guess build new leader pops on those tiles, since I don't want to transform entire planetary populations into leader-bots.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Libluini posted:

Ha ha, gently caress me for putting off researching Machine Templates when it first turned up, I'm now 50 years into my assimilator-run and it just now showed up again.

The best part? Making robo-templates turned out to be great fun, but since I can only apply templates on a per-planet base... :suicide:

At least I guess my newer bots will all be optimized for their tasks!

By the way, how does the game decide what pop can be chosen as a possible leader? Is it just a chance based on population percentages? Because I'm planning to apply my special leader-template to pops meant to sit on stuff like unity-buildings, just so I can cheese the game into putting some of them into my leader-roster.

Edit:

Or I guess build new leader pops on those tiles, since I don't want to transform entire planetary populations into leader-bots.

Yeah, it seems percentage based, had the same idea you did, and you can't shut off leadership roles for certain bot types which seems... oddly inefficient and individualistic. Gotta keep up them game edges like influence to move hive mind drones.

Frankly it's starting to seem like influence to resettle for Gestalts is dumb as gently caress and should just be a time without production. You lose the pop's output for like, I dunno, two years (24 month rollovers) and then it finally gets there, and both the original tile and new one are locked for the duration. Bulky/sedentary makes it take longer, double jointed/nomadic less.

Playstation 4 fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Sep 23, 2017

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Customised leader bots go onto unity producing tiles.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Demiurge4 posted:

Customised leader bots go onto unity producing tiles.

Unity and Food, if you're a servitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Milky Moor posted:

So, what's the trick to playing robots? Are they just tuned for Stellaris savants? Because no matter how well I think I'm doing, well...

I took a break from robots to get back in the swing of the game. I'm probably just bad at it, but man I just can't keep up on minerals as servitors.

• Locked thread