Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I liked it or at least the ideas of the story. I am not sure if some of the acting or how things look put me off though. Like it feels like an act rather than a realized story. But that acted story is interesting enough to keep me watching even if the presentation isn't. It may be that the actors aren't sure if they are in a comedy scene or a serious one and that's putting them on uneven footing.

Awaiting the next episode for sure , still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I wouldn't stress about things being out of order. Apart from this essentially two parter, all of the episodes are designed as standalone. The fourth episode synopsis (which was second filmed episode) is dealing with some Krill problem, which they probably felt would be redundant immediately after the pilot.

One interesting thing I'm surprised I hadn't noticed yet: There isn't any "ship's computer" that the characters talk to and responds to their verbal commands. If they want to do anything they have to press buttons and check screens.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Sep 23, 2017

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I wouldn't stress about things being out of order. Apart from this essentially two parter, all of the episodes are designed as standalone. The fourth episode synopsis (which was second filmed episode) is dealing with some Krill problem, which they probably felt would be redundant immediately after the pilot.

One interesting thing I'm surprised I hadn't noticed yet: There isn't any "ship's computer" that the characters talk to and responds to their verbal commands. If they want to do anything they have to press buttons and check screens.

Majel Barrett has been dead since 2008. :(

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Rachel McFarlane has been cast as the voice of the ships computer, so I'm sure she'll have a role eventually.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Okay yeah, this is...actually lot better than expected. I wasn't sold by the first episode; the writing sure wasn't anything special, and the comedy side was forced and - worse - not all that funny. But it was earnest enough in style that I caught the next two on hulu, and it's noticeably improving with each episode so far. The second was still rough, but the character interactions were fun and it was more clearly a sincere sci-fi plot, and as already noted the third could basically have been dropped wholesale into TNG and you wouldn't notice. The comedy elements were a lot better fitted to the scenario too, and the foibles of the crew help keep the morality play Trek-style stuff from being too stuffy. I'm not sure it's really a... good show yet, but it's entertaining and I kind of want to see where they take it.

The only explanation I can think of for the horrible reviews is basically a bunch of reviewers outing themselves as lazy shits and only watching the awkward first episode (or even better, only parts thereof) and just assuming the rest would be like it. :effort:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Dr. Finn is Cassidy Yates. I'm okay with this.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Asimo posted:

Okay yeah, this is...actually lot better than expected. I wasn't sold by the first episode; the writing sure wasn't anything special, and the comedy side was forced and - worse - not all that funny. But it was earnest enough in style that I caught the next two on hulu, and it's noticeably improving with each episode so far. The second was still rough, but the character interactions were fun and it was more clearly a sincere sci-fi plot, and as already noted the third could basically have been dropped wholesale into TNG and you wouldn't notice. The comedy elements were a lot better fitted to the scenario too, and the foibles of the crew help keep the morality play Trek-style stuff from being too stuffy. I'm not sure it's really a... good show yet, but it's entertaining and I kind of want to see where they take it.

The only explanation I can think of for the horrible reviews is basically a bunch of reviewers outing themselves as lazy shits and only watching the awkward first episode (or even better, only parts thereof) and just assuming the rest would be like it. :effort:
To be fair to the reviewers, they're probably not so much "lazy" as "desperately struggling to make rent on this gig, or to build a resume to get into a program to do these things for free so maybe at some point they can do them for peanuts."

I mean, I could be wrong, that just seems to be how online writing jobs go.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'm pretty sure there is, aside from the casting mentioned, the replicators take voice commands

Cannabis Brownie. *poof* The future is awesome!

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

As far as I remember, none of the pre-release reviews criticised this episode for being offensive, just for being over-preachy and heavy handed. And they were right, because while perhaps not politically offensive, this episode was offensively bad in every other regard. I am embarrassed for everyone involved.

So the big problems with this episode (outside of the general show problems like how cheap it looks, how badly it's acted, how stilted the dialogue is, etc) are in two sections: the sci-fi plot and the humour.

Plot: So, it's full of issues. We're talking about an alien race here, that both the viewers and, for some reason the characters, know almost nothing about. So, until the twist at the end, for all we (and the characters) know the Maclans are 100% to "correct" for being female. Maybe for them females really are drastically less healthy, or strong, or smart than males. Maybe females die after just a couple of years. Until the twist, we, and they, have no idea. And yet this possibility is never brought up, despite the fact that it's the most likely scenario, more likely than the Maclans never bothered to do a Ctrl-F: Ladies scan on their own planet.

Ex-wife's lawyering is awful. Her proof that a female of a completely different species is strong is completely irrelevant. And to demonstrate a stupid man she asks the ginger guy who I found quite charming on ER but is surprisingly unlikable in this a series of questions that we have no context to their obscurity in the future setting of the show. In hundreds of years time, the capital of the USA could very well be irrelevant knowledge to almost everyone. Suffice to say, her intended audience, the Maclans would be even more in the dark than than the viewers. Her bad lawyering is never intended as a plot point or anything. We're still supposed to see her as competent.

For all that, why are the characters so in the dark about Maclan customs anyway? Assuming the Union is a carbon copy of the Federation (and since everything else is, it's a safe bet) wouldn't Maclan have been heavily vetted before entry? And yet everyone on board the ship (which we assume is a fairly representative slice of Union culture) reels at horror at what is apparently a pretty central element of Maclan culture. How did Maclan even get into the Union?

These are basic errors of worldbuilding here.

Humour: Seth McFarlane only knows how to make sitcoms, and the wackier end of sitcoms at that. His goal to make a dramedy is understandable, even laudable, but he has no idea how to do it. So comedy is often completely at odds with the tone, or character or plot. Why were the two leads apparently sincerely suggesting the Maclan guy play Monopoly with them? It might have been a funny aside, but this was in the middle of a tense diplomatic negotiation. It was almost surreal.

The main dad's decision not to change his daughter should have been the crux of the entire show, and yet it is totally undermined by him out of nowhere completely 180 changing his firmly held belief because he watched Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. And for that matter, why did two characters who the dad had no previously shown cameraderie with turn up (at a time when the entire ship - including the two interlopers - were disgusted with his morals) with brewskies and a DVD of a children's cartoon anyway? It was one of the worst contrivencies I've ever seen.

I know everyone loves TNG, and would love to see it back, but seriously this is so far below TNG it's unreal. Even at its worst TNG was a show with boatloads of heart. This is cack-handed self-insert fan fiction.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Comrade Fakename posted:

As far as I remember, none of the pre-release reviews criticised this episode for being offensive, just for being over-preachy and heavy handed. And they were right, because while perhaps not politically offensive, this episode was offensively bad in every other regard. I am embarrassed for everyone involved.

So the big problems with this episode (outside of the general show problems like how cheap it looks, how badly it's acted, how stilted the dialogue is, etc) are in two sections: the sci-fi plot and the humour.

Plot: So, it's full of issues. We're talking about an alien race here, that both the viewers and, for some reason the characters, know almost nothing about. So, until the twist at the end, for all we (and the characters) know the Maclans are 100% to "correct" for being female. Maybe for them females really are drastically less healthy, or strong, or smart than males. Maybe females die after just a couple of years. Until the twist, we, and they, have no idea. And yet this possibility is never brought up, despite the fact that it's the most likely scenario, more likely than the Maclans never bothered to do a Ctrl-F: Ladies scan on their own planet.

Ex-wife's lawyering is awful. Her proof that a female of a completely different species is strong is completely irrelevant. And to demonstrate a stupid man she asks the ginger guy who I found quite charming on ER but is surprisingly unlikable in this a series of questions that we have no context to their obscurity in the future setting of the show. In hundreds of years time, the capital of the USA could very well be irrelevant knowledge to almost everyone. Suffice to say, her intended audience, the Maclans would be even more in the dark than than the viewers. Her bad lawyering is never intended as a plot point or anything. We're still supposed to see her as competent.

For all that, why are the characters so in the dark about Maclan customs anyway? Assuming the Union is a carbon copy of the Federation (and since everything else is, it's a safe bet) wouldn't Maclan have been heavily vetted before entry? And yet everyone on board the ship (which we assume is a fairly representative slice of Union culture) reels at horror at what is apparently a pretty central element of Maclan culture. How did Maclan even get into the Union?

Humour: Seth McFarlane only knows how to make sitcoms, and the wackier end of sitcoms at that. His goal to make a dramedy is understandable, even laudable, but he has no idea how to do it. So comedy is often completely at odds with the tone, or character or plot. Why were the two leads apparently sincerely suggesting the Maclan guy play Monopoly with them? It might have been a funny aside, but this was in the middle of a tense diplomatic negotiation. It was almost surreal.

The main dad's decision not to change his daughter should have been the crux of the entire show, and yet it is totally undermined by him out of nowhere completely 180 changing his firmly held belief because he watched Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. And for that matter, why did two characters who the dad had no previously shown cameraderie with turn up (at a time when the entire ship - including the two interlopers - were disgusted with his morals) with brewskies and a DVD of a children's cartoon anyway? It was one of the worst contrivencies I've ever seen.

I know everyone loves TNG, and would love to see it back, but seriously this is so far below TNG it's unreal. Even at its worst TNG was a show with boatloads of heart. This is cack-handed self-insert fan fiction.

This truly is a trek show now that we've had this level of nerdy nitpicking. I am not even saying that like an insult either.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Comrade Fakename posted:

I like how they literally called this out in the episode.

Also the goon above's post about how they tried the 'plucky amateurs appeal to everyone's better nature instead of actual law and are explicitly shut down'

Also vvv

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Sep 23, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Comrade Fakename posted:

lmbo

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah she's a lovely lawyer, she took one year in college.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Comrade Fakename posted:

I only wanna address this point because it feels like you missed the whole idea here. It's supposed to be silly. You've got these two goofy idiots who see the situation and think of a children's movie that has a passing relevance to the situation and think it's a fuckin brilliant idea to try and convince Bortus using it. The fact that it actually works is supposed to be absurd and amusing. This dude having a major life changing revelation because of Rudolph the Red Nosed loving Reindeer is just great.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

I thought losing the case called out the lovely lawyering perfectly.

I can't remember where I read it, but someone on the internet said that the show bit off more than it could chew here. I slightly disagree; the crew did the biting and inadequate mastication - which from a viewer's perspective is awesome. (I hope the universe regularly overwhelming these idiots in a tin can is part of the show's MO. Sign me the gently caress up for this.)

Do me a favour...or a flavour, if you prefer. Make a sandwich, or nachos. Steak? A banana you need no longer fear? Whatever it is, just get your preferred solid foodstuff that's bigger than your mouth. Take a big bite out of your meal and/or snack. The kind of big that hits your gag reflex just from the size of it.

Now try to put that bite back not only where you found it, but as you found it.

The writer outed herself after establishing her craft as a major influence on Moclan culture. The case happened publicly. It was lost, but it can't un-happen.

Bortus and Klyden's child still underwent the procedure despite (or because of :doh:) Kelly's best efforts, but 75 years later there'll be a faint path for the next Moclan girl to...huh.

I hesitate to say follow - because, again, I cannot stress enough that the lovely lovely legal trickshittery was poo poo - but that future girl will know there are kindred spirits on her side, and thus she is not alone.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Regy Rusty posted:

I only wanna address this point because it feels like you missed the whole idea here. It's supposed to be silly. You've got these two goofy idiots who see the situation and think of a children's movie that has a passing relevance to the situation and think it's a fuckin brilliant idea to try and convince Bortus using it. The fact that it actually works is supposed to be absurd and amusing. This dude having a major life changing revelation because of Rudolph the Red Nosed loving Reindeer is just great.

Not to mention that Bortus also missed an important point - he assumed that Rudolph would be euthanised because of his nose.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Comrade Fakename posted:

If MacFarlane's show is pulling this kind of effortpost out of people, mission loving accomplished.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Accretionist posted:

This is an extension of my general distaste for 'running into doors'

You kick open doors. The shoulder's a crap joint. It is not suitable to battering.

Wrong. You open doors by shooting the control panel with a blaster.

Alternatively, you sometimes close and lock doors by shooting the control panel with a blaster.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Comrade Fakename posted:

The characters already know all the Maclan are dudes, and it's made pretty clear in the episode that even though a female occasionally crops up, they either do the operation and never speak of it again or outcast them to a mountain forever. They're clearly ashamed of it, and suppress the knowledge, so of course it's going to take the crew members by surprise. They're on a hum-drum ship remember, they're not the best and brightest of the Union going around with expert knowledge of every species on their ship.

As for the Maclan getting into the Union, anyone with any imagination could come up with a gigantic list of reasons. They make a lot of weapons so maybe that's it. Sometimes the shining beacons of civilization will conveniently ally with whichever shits they can, especially if there's some more powerful world going around putting everyone in zoos and trying to steal your time machines. Or maybe the union just does not give one iota of a poo poo how some other planet deal with its genetic peculiarities at birth, some kind of "first rule" or "foremost decree" or something.

e: dammit i got pulled in again :argh:

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 23, 2017

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Hipster_Doofus posted:

e: think I'm just gonna rewatch B5 to fill the hole I'd hoped to have filled; I was long overdue anyway. At least I already know I have 5 seasons of that.

I don't know how you could have ever thought this would scratch the B5 itch. Not that you shouldn't rewatch that.

I think fundamentally you're expecting this show to be something it's not trying to be.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Regy Rusty posted:

I think it comes back around perfectly at the end the part where he gives his child the reindeer is super sad.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I also like that Bortas sees Kermit and Rudolph valuable legendary characters. With the original kermit joke, it seems like Bortas doesn't understand what Kermit is and the captain passes him off as... More prestigious than he is. But after Rudolph, it's clear tha Bortas, and his culture, place great value in stories.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snak posted:

I also like that Bortas sees Kermit and Rudolph valuable legendary characters. With the original kermit joke, it seems like Bortas doesn't understand what Kermit is and the captain passes him off as... More prestigious than he is. But after Rudolph, it's clear tha Bortas, and his culture, place great value in stories.

That is supposed to be a major point when it is revealed their most respected philosopher is an exiled female. As much as they excel in weapons production they as lacking in culture and moral compass. This is why a children Christmas story has such an effect on him. Don't forget that Rudolf is a major part of American culture as well with multiple generations watching it each year.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

Bortas, when his mate confessed. :nod:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I think fundamentally you're expecting this show to be something it's not trying to be.

To dig a little deeper into one detail, putting the helmsman on the stand was a gag - and one he played along with. He's not highly educated or an intellectual, but he's canny, and he was exaggerating his ignorance, both for the sake of the joke in terms of the production, and in character terms to do the best he could for the child and the legal case.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
I was kind of hoping when they did the scan they would have found out that half of the civilization was born female. It was a very literal homage to The Measure of a Man and while it definitely misstepped on quite a few things it was actually pretty decent. I was surprised.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I really liked the look of their homeworld. I'm a sucker for industrial hellscapes and cultures/species dedicated to war.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

vermin posted:

I really liked the look of their homeworld. I'm a sucker for industrial hellscapes and cultures/species dedicated to war.

The buildings looked great. They were very Simon Stålenhag in style, with a dash of Chris Foss.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

The Deviations posted:

I can't remember where I read it, but someone on the internet said that the show bit off more than it could chew here. I slightly disagree; the crew did the biting and inadequate mastication - which from a viewer's perspective is awesome. (I hope the universe regularly overwhelming these idiots in a tin can is part of the show's MO. Sign me the gently caress up for this.)

People keep saying things like this (I think someone else mentioned The Orville being like Down Periscope in space at some point), but this feels more like head canon than something the writers are intentionally going for. Nothing that's said in the show implies the Orville is supposed to be some piece of crap, it's just a generic ship that's not particularly special. Mercer isn't given the command because it's a poo poo assignment, he's given it because there's a shortage of qualified people. Only him and pilot guy are explicitly supposed to be out of place, everyone else is at least supposed to be good at their jobs.

Issues like this are why critics keep complaining about the show being tonally weird, not because they just all have a raging, unquenchable hatred for Seth MacFarlane.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DrPlump posted:

I think it comes back around perfectly at the end the part where he gives his child the reindeer is super sad.

Yep absolutely. At least for me that managed to take something deliberately silly and turn it into a poignant moment that landed effectively.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The average person in real life is loving terrible at their job.

Edit: and this is the subject of basically every workplace comedy series ever made.

Snak fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 23, 2017

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Paradoxish posted:

People keep saying things like this (I think someone else mentioned The Orville being like Down Periscope in space at some point), but this feels more like head canon than something the writers are intentionally going for. Nothing that's said in the show implies the Orville is supposed to be some piece of crap, it's just a generic ship that's not particularly special. Mercer isn't given the command because it's a poo poo assignment, he's given it because there's a shortage of qualified people. Only him and pilot guy are explicitly supposed to be out of place, everyone else is at least supposed to be good at their jobs.

Issues like this are why critics keep complaining about the show being tonally weird, not because they just all have a raging, unquenchable hatred for Seth MacFarlane.

It is a mid sized exploratory vessel. His ex wife pulled strings to get him the job.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Snak posted:

Edit: and this is the subject of basically every workplace comedy series ever made.

Can confirm. Earlier this week, there was the rumour that I'll be taking over as manager of the tail end of my work's current project. I'm basically a glorified admin person, and the idea terrified me.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

Can confirm. Earlier this week, there was the rumour that I'll be taking over as manager of the tail end of my work's current project. I'm basically a glorified admin person, and the idea terrified me.

Not at my workplace, but a friend of mine told me they found out that their boss was doing over the phone payment from customers by having them text him their credit card information. Not giving it verbally over the phone, but sending it in a text. To his personal phone. He said it was okay because he deleted the texts afterwards.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Paradoxish posted:

The doctor, XO, Lamar, Isaac, and Bortus all seem competent. Alara is green, Mercer is new and in a little over his head, and the pilot is explicitly there because of his skill and despite his lack of polish.

Being competent is different, though, from being hyper-competent like a Starfleet officer on the flagship. They know what they're doing but they can still get in a lot of trouble because it's space, and space is big and weird.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Snak posted:

My point is that the show isn't actually Down Periscope in Space and that's obvious both from what's stated explicitly and by how the characters are written in general. I don't even dislike the show, I just find the "hurr the reviewers are all biased" attitude in this thread really tiring.

It's definitely a show about more average people than any given Star Trek series (except maybe DS9?), but I think going beyond that is just seeing what you want to see. And for the record, I actually really like the idea of a sci-fi show that's just about run-of-the-mill space people doing space stuff.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh, we're agreed, then.

I do think that a lot of people are expecting the show to be something that it isn't, but that's a separate issue.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Paradoxish posted:

I don't even dislike the show, I just find the "hurr the reviewers are all biased" attitude in this thread really tiring.

It's not so much that they seem biased, it's that the reviews don't even seem to line up with reality.

Variety posted:

An air of self-congratulation hangs over the entire hour, as if MacFarlane, who wrote it, couldn’t get over his awe at his own bravery in engaging with a difficult, complex topic. Without giving anything away, suffice it to say that the show takes a big creative swing tackling issues of gender and identity, but it does not connect, and the end result is disastrous. If it’s challenging for “The Orville” to wring laughs from the audience, it’s all but impossible for it to earn the dramatic (and tone-deaf) conclusion it attempts in the third episode.

Does that sound like someone who even paid attention to the episode? "Without giving anything away..." is a hilarious tell.

SF Chronicle posted:

Bortus and his partner Klydon (Chad L. Coleman) come from a single-gender race and learn they are going to be parents. The infant turns out to be female. Klydon wants to have the child’s gender altered; Bortus does not. The dispute plays out in complete seriousness, drenched with import and pronouncements about gender reassignment and female empowerment.

Does that sound like someone who paid attention to the episode? The dispute is neither initially nor ultimately between Bortus and Klydon, and "female empowerment"? The argument is only for female equality.

Vox posted:

The Orville sure looks amazing. Set on a sleek spaceship in a galaxy far, far away, the new Fox show spares no expense on its sweeping space vistas, the prosthetics of its alien crew members, the sleek weaponry, the gorgeous foreign planets teeming with otherworldly life.

Uh, what? The show looks dirt cheap, the prosthetics are basically competent (and Isaac looks entirely low budget), and... I'm sorry, "gorgeous foreign planets teeming with otherworldly life"? Where did this happen in any of the episodes so far? Even the Maclon planet, good as it looked, does not fit that description.

same Vox review posted:

Without getting into the specifics of the story, I can at least tell you that the way this episode plays out makes it one of the most transparent and least necessary takes on the vast complexities of gender. The episode, written by MacFarlane, clearly thinks it’s shedding light and nuance on a fraught topic; it’s unclear if MacFarlane, a straight cis white guy, consulted anyone other than himself on said topic. But I would be shocked to discover that was the case, since the episode just ends up reciting bullet points too simplistic even for the transgender Wikipedia entry, and letting characters exchange the same basic arguments in scene after excruciating scene.

This person, I'm pretty drat sure, literally did not watch the show.

Interestingly, his review links to another review, which I'm pretty sure he just copied as it says many of the exact same things (they both make the specific and odd statement that "it's an hour long and doesn't need to be":

Indiewire posted:

But then there’s Episode 3, which, without spoilers, may be one of the most tone-deaf and offensive discussions of gender ever seen on screen, especially in an era when many people have come to embrace the idea that gender is a concept that goes beyond biology to personal identity.

...what? The episode's central stance on gender is simply "women and men are equally capable". What, specifically, is "offensive"? Can anyone tell us. You know, without giving anything away...

And those are literally just the first reviews I looked at. This post took me 10 minutes and I'm medicated and sleep deprived. It's insanely transparent that there is some collective critical axe grinding going on here, and also probably a lot of "reading someone else's review and then writing my own". If this were high school English, they'd all get F's if only for copying off each other.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

precision posted:

It's not so much that they seem biased, it's that the reviews don't even seem to line up with reality.

Thanks for compiling this. I hadn't read any of the reviews and it puts the conversation about them into context. I think comparing "About a Girl" to "Measure of a Man" is fairly hyperbolic, but it's more perplexing how anyone could consider "Girl" to be "disastrous".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Maybe the author is super conservative and finds it offensive to suggest women are equal or children should be allowed to choose their own identities.