Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

StabMasterArson posted:

My left joycon wobbles on the rail a bunch. I think it's just badly made

I thought it was just mine. The left one is noticeably looser than the right. Nothing major, but I can definitely feel it wobble somewhat more and I occasionally have to push it back down because it seems to "ride" up the rail over time - only by a millimetre or two but I still notice it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
I just finished playing through SteamWorld Dig 2. Thanks to whoever it was in the thread that recommended it, that was a fun 8 hours. I kinda wish there was a New Game+ mode or something, since I feel like playing more but don't feel like trying to 100% it or something. I hope other people pick this game up so there's demand for a 3rd game.

Great job to whoever it was in the thread that worked on the dev team. I hadn't heard of the previous SteamWorld games. You guys made a fun game.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
And if you loved Steamworld Dig, I think Steamworld Heist is even better. Both amazing.

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 24, 2017

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I agree Steamworld Heist is good but it also has zero relation to Dig other than the artstyle so it really doesn't matter if you loved Dig or not.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Heist is the best tactics game ive played all year. Come at me rabbids fans

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Steamworld Heist is apparently a turn based strategy game? I've never been able to get into those kinds of games, even if they're well made. But a 2d platformer Metroidvania with digging mechanics that has really good pacing, sense of progression, and controls? :discourse:

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Does Lego world's split screen run well on the Switch? Wife wants to play and I can't decide to grab it on the Switch or Xbone. I like the portability of buying it for the switch but I can't find anything on how it runs in split screen.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I like turn-based strategy games and I like Metroid-likes but I don't like steampunk aesthetic so I avoided them

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

BrownieVK posted:

Does Lego world's split screen run well on the Switch? Wife wants to play and I can't decide to grab it on the Switch or Xbone. I like the portability of buying it for the switch but I can't find anything on how it runs in split screen.

It's wonderful, me and the lady play it docked and undocked and its a very good game. Also runs well.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

spit on my clit posted:

"what?" is my reaction to both this post and the right joycon failing to connect for half an hour

You must be too young to know the 'joy' of blowing in to a nes/snes(/n64?) cart to get it to work and it would work, even though blowing in the nes or carts is actually bad for them due to moisture. :corsair:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Evil Fluffy posted:

You must be too young to know the 'joy' of blowing in to a nes/snes(/n64?) cart to get it to work and it would work, even though blowing in the nes or carts is actually bad for them due to moisture. :corsair:

That just sounds like the propaganda of big air spray since none of my snes cartridges have stopped working since I bought them a couple of decades ago :colbert:

gently caress I feel old my joints hurt

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

I like turn-based strategy games and I like Metroid-likes but I don't like steampunk aesthetic so I avoided them
I'm not into steampunk either but tbh it doesn't really register to me as steampunk, at least in the traditional lazy sense of Victorian styles with gears and poo poo glued on haphazardly and steam-as-magic. The overarching aesthetic of the Steamworld games to me is just a universe of trash occupied by trashcan robots, Dig being trashcan cowboy robots and Heist trashcan space sailors flying trashcan space ships.

Death By Yogurt
Apr 3, 2007

BrownieVK posted:

Haven't tried it on Switch but it was near unplayable when I played it on Xbox One. The map would literally just stop loading so you'd be stuck in one little tiny section for 10 minutes for the next chunk of the map to load. It's a shame because otherwise it was a blast to play splitscreen.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Evil Fluffy posted:

You're supposed to blow through your shirt to filter it, my dude

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
I want every game that’s ever come out on a previous console to come out on the switch, is that too much to ask?

Edit:

chaleski posted:

You're supposed to blow through your shirt to filter it, my dude

What type of scrub doesn’t use their shirt? Also how amazing is it that every kid in our generation knew to do this pre internet?

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

homeless snail posted:

I'm not into steampunk either but tbh it doesn't really register to me as steampunk, at least in the traditional lazy sense of Victorian styles with gears and poo poo glued on haphazardly and steam-as-magic. The overarching aesthetic of the Steamworld games to me is just a universe of trash occupied by trashcan robots, Dig being trashcan cowboy robots and Heist trashcan space sailors flying trashcan space ships.

Same, it just seemed like cartoony robots to me. I wouldn't have thought it was supposed to be steampunk if "Steam" wasn't in the name. And the backgrounds are really nice and varied in Dig 2. If "I don't like steampunk" is your only reason for not trying the game, don't let that stop you because it's really not going to hamper your enjoyment.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

EpicNemesis posted:

I want every game that’s ever come out on a previous console to come out on the switch, is that too much to ask?

People didn't like Zelda Skyward Sword because of the motion controls, right? Maybe they could do Skyward Sword HD on the Switch and give it normal controls.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

People like motion controls now, so IMO its time for Skyward Sword HD. Just take out all the tutorial bullshit

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Goodbody posted:

People didn't like Zelda Skyward Sword because of the motion controls, right? Maybe they could do Skyward Sword HD on the Switch and give it normal controls.

Oh no, there are plenty of other reasons to dislike Skyward Sword.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
Skyward Sword was by far the second worst Zelda game. The only one worse was spirit tracks.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

[quote="“homeless snail”" post="“476698473”"]
People like motion controls now, so IMO its time for Skyward Sword HD. Just take out all the tutorial bullshit
[/quote]

Agreed. First generation Wii motion controls were sloppy and gave skyward sword a bad name. 3rd gen motion controls would be awesome.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Agreed. First generation Wii motion controls were sloppy and gave skyward sword a bad name. 3rd gen motion controls would be awesome.

Skyward Sword was second-gen with Wiimote Plus. It's why it had all the fancy motion control gimmicks.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well they've already done HD versions of all the N64 and Gamecube Zeldas, so you'll get Skyward Sword or you'll get nothing

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

BrownieVK posted:

It honestly doesn't run well in single player, let alone splitscreen. I've done drop-in local co-op a few times, and the Switch chugs extra hard, but it works. If you both do stuff like: fly in opposite directions; submarine in opposite directions; build elaborate discoveries at once; you'll probably hard crash the game. But for just messing about, not pushing it too hard, yeah, it's ok.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Skyward Sword didn't use first gen Wii motion controls, it mandated the use of the motionplus. And

Neddy Seagoon posted:

EpicNemesis posted:

Skyward Sword was by far the second worst Zelda game. The only one worse was spirit tracks.
These people are Right

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

EpicNemesis posted:

this baffles me because Spirit Tracks was actually a decent game (which is bad for a zelda because zelda is usually incredible) and came right after Phantom Hourglass which was a complete garbage fire

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

cheetah7071 posted:

this baffles me because Spirit Tracks was actually a decent game (which is bad for a zelda because zelda is usually incredible) and came right after Phantom Hourglass which was a complete garbage fire

How did you get these backward??

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Skyward Sword has great combat and amazing dungeons.

The filler stuff blows though.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

cheetah7071 posted:

I never played Spirit Tracks, but I remember when I first started playing Hourglass all I could think was how stupid the controls were. I ended up beating the game and really enjoying all of it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The controls are the same between the two games iirc. The stupid recurring dungeon in Phantom Hourglass just pissed me off to no end and Spirit Tracks mostly just did it's very mediocre schtick competently

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

All the games people complain about motion controls, that's not the real problem. Star Fox Zero and Skyward Sword had great controls. There games suffered from more structural issues and pacing issues in the gameplay. Also Skyward Sword didn't explain the main swinging mechanic accurately which led to a lot of people thinking they have to "back swing", often making combat slow if they do it methodically, or swinging the opposite direction they wanted if they moved too fast.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The Wii's motion sensing would detect your swings wrong if you were too close to the screen which was a problem for me playing on my computer monitor but probably not a problem for most people

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

cheetah7071 posted:

The Wii's motion sensing would detect your swings wrong if you were too close to the screen which was a problem for me playing on my computer monitor but probably not a problem for most people

That probably isn't the case. The motion in that game used gyros only, your location in relation to your screen wouldn't matter.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Well the motion controls didn't work well for me for one reason or another, and from what I remember at the time it was 80-90% people saying they worked great and 10-20% saying they were poo poo so whatever it was probably wasn't unique to me.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

EpicNemesis posted:

This is only one of two Zelda games I've played but not finished.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

homeless snail posted:

I'll give them a look again then; I've pretty much taken "steam" to mean "stay away" because of all the awful and dumb steampunk/whimsical Victorian era poo poo in the last few years.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

"Odyssey" is the project code-word for the port of Mario 3D World right?

nobody could possibly want that

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Skyward Sword has great combat and amazing dungeons.

The filler stuff blows though.

the combat didn't work because im lefthanded

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

BattleMaster posted:

I'll give them a look again then; I've pretty much taken "steam" to mean "stay away" because of all the awful and dumb steampunk/whimsical Victorian era poo poo in the last few years.

Check out this 15 minute overview, it sold me on the gameplay and you can also see if the aesthetic is going to be a problem for you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjARn_Om-YE

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

EpicNemesis posted:

Also PC.

The Fool's Errand Switch when

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Evil Fluffy posted:

This is only one of two Zelda games I've played but not finished.

I never finished Twilight Princess and never started Skyward Sword.

• Locked thread