Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

In Training posted:

Don't worry about any of that stuff IMO. The game is like 95% your ability anyway.

Yeah but building a set of gear is fun and gives me a sense of progression while I'm splatting squids. I just want to look good while doing it.

It kind of feels empty when I don't have something to work towards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Ultimately by year 2, with the weekly updates, there will be a cool pair of shades with X_ability that you always wanted, just save your chunks for that day

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Owers posted:

Just lost a round because "Georgia" wanted to show off:

Ahahaha

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I hope they were spamming Booyah.

e: no wait "This way!" is better.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I didn't win a single round of SR on my way to getting the super bonus ... rough

Owers
Nov 13, 2004

I want to be lean and mean.

Caphi posted:

I hope they were spamming Booyah.

e: no wait "This way!" is better.
They were as a matter of fact. That poor Steel Head had no idea what to do.

So I just bought the new Rapid Blaster Pro, and despite winning 7 out of 9 matches with it in ranked mode, its meter still says "0 Dry". I don't understand, does ranked mode not affect your weapons meter or something?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Why don't I introduce you to a little gun called the Goo Tuber...

The Goo Tuber is proof that Mr. Grizz hates us and wants us to suffer.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Owers posted:

They were as a matter of fact. That poor Steel Head had no idea what to do.

So I just bought the new Rapid Blaster Pro, and despite winning 7 out of 9 matches with it in ranked mode, its meter still says "0 Dry". I don't understand, does ranked mode not affect your weapons meter or something?

Only regular mode increases freshness.

Owers
Nov 13, 2004

jyrque posted:

Only regular mode increases freshness.

I only just noticed the meter disappears completely when you switch to Ranked mode in the Lobby. Boy is my face red. I guess I should play Turf War more often.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
The Splatoon Koshien or the Japanese Turf Wars tournament just completed their tour in Aichi prefecture, and so far the Aerospray RG duo layout has proven to be popular, so much so that all four semifinalists used them. Both finalists were using 2x Aerospray RG, 1x Sloshing Machine and 1x Regular/Tentatek Splattershot. No doubt the improvements of the baller has made the special a powerful tool in Turf Wars.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Smiles posted:

nyahaha you love it buddy >:D

Holy Christ man, how many hours of salmon run does that take?

Owers posted:

]
Nah, not deadly or aquatic enough. It'll be full of stone fish, sting rays, blue-Ringed octopus, and sea wasps. Even Mr. Grizz wouldn't be cold-blooded enough to send Inklings there.

Don't forget spiders. Spiders would probably survive there somehow.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 24, 2017

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

hey welcome to the show! posted:

Yeah but building a set of gear is fun and gives me a sense of progression while I'm splatting squids. I just want to look good while doing it.

It kind of feels empty when I don't have something to work towards.

That's fair and reasonable, just seems like it's swimming against the game design. I'm not surprised you're finding it an unfun slog!

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

pokeyman posted:

That's fair and reasonable, just seems like it's swimming against the game design. I'm not surprised you're finding it an unfun slog!

I wouldn't say "unfun". I still really like this game and everything about the gear system is good except the RNG shops and not being able to have doubles of gear if it has a different main.

I would fix the RNG shops by putting the gear on a fixed rotation of one piece after another and making the main stat roll RNG. That way you know when a piece of gear is going to be available but won't know what main it will have.

Also, I still play this game for about an hour every few days.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

raditts posted:

Don't forget spiders. Spiders would probably survive there somehow.

They all became sea spiders.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Are there any youtube channels/other streams people would recommend for this game?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

In Training posted:

I actually ran into a S+ goo tuber who was kinda godlike yesterday. Anything is possible

Keiya posted:

The Goo Tuber is proof that Mr. Grizz hates us and wants us to suffer.

Having used Chargers for a good while, I've tried using the Goo Tuber for a bit and I have to say, there's not much reason to use it over the other chargers.

The Goo Tuber's big issue is, it doesn't offer a good reason to use it over the other options. Its range is considerably shorter than most other chargers, only barely outranging the Squiffer. This makes it terrible for long distance sniping, and forces you to be in dangerous positions often to get splats. The Squiffer just does that job far better as a battle rifle. The charge time is also about as long as the E-Liter's but the Goo Tuber lacks the range of the E-Liter. The only real perk is being able to store charge for a long time, and that doesn't really give the player that much. Being able to store charge means that you can reposition yourself on the fly if needed, except most of the time, you don't need to reposition yourself by that much. In order to make good use of the extra storage time, your team would have to have control over at least 70% to 80% of the map if you really wanted to move long distances with it and contribute to fights. And if that's happening, you likely already have the upper hand. Sneak attacks could theoretically be an option you could go for, except the drat thing glows, which gives away your position.

I don't doubt that someone can do well with it. The main issue is that they probably could have done just as well or even better with another weapon.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

raditts posted:

Holy Christ man, how many hours of salmon run does that take?

i think i played a bit over four hours on saturday night up to 600, then about two hours the next day to 730? getting to 600 was pretty smooth, i think i had over a 90% success rate, but the next day i hovered around 600 - 730 until i called it quits and went out for chocolate eclairs

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I dunno how much it might just be me and not real but the splatbrella is really good on Tower Control and I feel like I should stack ink resist. Being able to jump on the front and hold up a shield for teammates seems to help a ton

Got a cheap stylus and someone else probably could've done this pun more justice but

I wish there was a way to see if you guy fresh ratings on your post like you could see the Yeahs! you got in Miiverse in Splatoon 1

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 25, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Mr. Grizz, is this some sort of sick joke!? Are our lives nothing but mere playthings to you!?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Mr. Grizz, is this some sort of sick joke!? Are our lives nothing but mere playthings to you!?

GrizzCo is how Inkopolis kills its youth population since they can't wage an open war.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Dr. Fetus posted:

You will learn to love the Nozzlenose - or else.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Rexroom posted:

You will learn to love the Nozzlenose - or else.

love too shoot a gun that fires like an almost empty ketchup bottle.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

I'm thinking about making a Quick Super Jump + Splashdown gimmick build. Is Special Power Up worth it for that if I'm not going to be investing more than 19 points into it?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

EightFlyingCars posted:

I'm thinking about making a Quick Super Jump + Splashdown gimmick build. Is Special Power Up worth it for that if I'm not going to be investing more than 19 points into it?

I don't think you need Special Power Up for this build.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

EightFlyingCars posted:

Special Power Up has absolutely no effect on Super Jump Splashdowns. You'll always hit the maximum radius in those cases.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

loving hell.

https://twitter.com/LHoT10820/status/912141633113788416

Baller is loving stupid.

Owers
Nov 13, 2004

Hahah, well I guess that's one way to get a point across.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

All I see is a bunch of fans of NERF™ brand Football fans.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Gone full circle all the way back to pre-nerf splat1 kraken. its hilariously stupid, all the specials went from being weaker versions of the first game's to becoming even more powerful then those ever were. (well, the missles arent as good at completely halting the tower)

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Squiddy dibby dib yo da dub dub

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Tengames posted:

Gone full circle all the way back to pre-nerf splat1 kraken. its hilariously stupid, all the specials went from being weaker versions of the first game's to becoming even more powerful then those ever were. (well, the missles arent as good at completely halting the tower)

I think all the specials outside of baller are in a good spot really. But yeah Baller is pretty much the kraken with the bonus of a giant explosion at the end

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

EightFlyingCars posted:

I tried that once. I kept forgetting to superjump when I had splashdown.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

If anyone is interested in getting the splatoon 1 amiibos, Target has them on clearance. Each inkling is $2.68, and the pack with both of them and the squid is $10.48.

Inkling Boy: https://www.target.com/p/nintendo-174-inkling-boy-amiibo-figure/-/A-17367673#lnk=newtab

Inkling Girl: https://www.target.com/p/nintendo-174-inkling-girl-amiibo-figure/-/A-17318488#lnk=newtab

Three Pack: https://www.target.com/p/nintendo-174-amiibo-splatoon-3pk-inkling-boy-inkling-girl-inkling-squid-figures/-/A-17367672#lnk=newtab

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Had a good run with the Inkbrush in ranked last night. People really don’t know how to deal with you brush running, and it’s real good for escaping when poo poo goes wrong. It’s surprisingly effective at juking people shooting at you - run one way then dash back the other, often times they’ll overcorrect and then you can rush into their face and kill em. Or do it when running behind something, and they’ll totally expect you to keep going the other direction. The sub and special were great for splat zones, too. Works great at A+, dunno if it’ll be that effective in S or S+ though.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Doing well with the Sploosh-o-Matic and The Heavy Splatling- rush in to point blank range or stay far, far away. I can't do anything between those two extremes

People still do not really seem to respect the range on the Splatling; this is good for me. It's bad at painting small areas but alright at covering spaces where you have like a long, straight line to strafe on.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
https://twitter.com/nachannohokusai/status/911766545226801159

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I find it hard to believe that they'd be able to have 4 eggs with a goo-tuber on their team.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I know it's been a few months since release and there's kind of an unspoken acknowledgement of it but the geyser round in salmon run blows rear end.

Owers
Nov 13, 2004

It's very misleading when Mr. Grizz tells everyone to look for the geyser that "glows the brightest" to track down the Goldie. I don't know if it's a localisation error or if the developers are deliberately misleading players to be clever or something, but it really doesn't help at all in a team-based coop game with very limited communication. The height of the geyser spray and the noise it makes is really what you should be looking out for to narrow down the Goldie's location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

In Training posted:

I know it's been a few months since release and there's kind of an unspoken acknowledgement of it but the geyser round in salmon run blows rear end.

Seriously. Even if you're lucky enough to get a team that knows what they're doing, it's a 50/50 if you'll just be hosed by RNG