Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

kefkafloyd posted:

This semi-cryptic tweet bids good news. hopefully.

https://twitter.com/DisneyTVA/status/909891933719416834

Am I off-base here or does that look like Jim Cummings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Am I off-base here or does that look like Jim Cummings?

Yes. Yes it is.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

kefkafloyd posted:

This semi-cryptic tweet bids good news. hopefully.

https://twitter.com/DisneyTVA/status/909891933719416834

I am anticipating one of those trademark purple smoke entrances with Darkwing declaring that he is "The Terror That Flaps in the Night" with half dozen madlibed "noun that verbs" monikers.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqz2Xt7hWKo New clip of Louie being everything Scrooge despises.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ballz posted:

That's why a lot of us are excited to see them each have their own unique identities in the new show. In fact it seems their sometimes contradictory personalities in the comics will instead be divided up between each of them in the show; Dewey is more confrontational and more likely to butt heads with his uncles while Huey is more resourceful and willing to go by the Junior Woodchuck's Guidebook for example. Previously that could refer to any (or all) of them in any given story. In the new show we now can expect which nephew to behave in which way.

A lot of us are very excited that the cartoon ducks have distinct personalities. This was a genuine concern.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

A lot of us are very excited that the cartoon ducks have distinct personalities. This was a genuine concern.

The craft of a show is important? Well I never!

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

MonsterEnvy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqz2Xt7hWKo New clip of Louie being everything Scrooge despises.

can't wait to see Louie get murdered by his great uncle on Ducktales tomorrow

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

The craft of a show is important? Well I never!

It's only important when BotL agrees with the dark, serious, subversive story of the show. Otherwise it's pablum for the soft-headed masses

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The comments bring up whether Louie got it from Gladstone Gander. That might be interesting.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Gladstone is apparently showing up in the October 21st episode.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Thank goodness the show isn't going "all the Beagle boys are identical and interchangeable"

Good set of episodes today

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

TFRazorsaw posted:

Thank goodness the show isn't going "all the Beagle boys are identical and interchangeable"

Gosh, what a nightmare that would be.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I. I don't know what you're trying to say here?

I don't care for how they are in the comic. I like when they're distinct better. I'm glad the show did what the old cartoon did, instead of skewing closer to the comic. That's all.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Premiering early in the morning is a drag for liveposting.

Nice to see that continuity is here with Webby and Dewey already on the case of Della.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Webby interpreting Louie's hand signal as icing the manager with a spork is easily my favorite moment in this show so far.

kidcoelacanth fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 23, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Both episodes were definitely enjoyable. It's interesting that they're diving right into the "What the hell happened to Della" plot so quickly, considering how that's been such a taboo topic in the duck comics and shows for so long. I do have to wonder if it's something they plan on resolving by the end of this or next season, or if it's going to be a plot thread right up through the series finale.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, while the original still has it's charm the new Ducktales just seems to be better in most aspects and I like that there seems to be some kind of running story line this time around. The new Webby is especially great, even if she is basically the Pines twins combined together in duck form. I wasn't sure at first about the triplets being voiced by adult men but it works well enough and I like that they have their own unique personalities this time around (which is one of the few things Quack Pack actually got right).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Sep 24, 2017

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Show owns

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Can't wait to figure out the context there.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 24, 2017

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

Can't wait to figure out the context there.

There really isn't one.

As nice as it was to see the Beagle Boys reintroduced, I have to say I preferred "The Great Dime Chase" and the way the kids had to deal with two forms of insanity. I imagine all the "international markets" are references to old DuckTales episodes, but I only recognized El Dorado. And considering the original show it makes sense that in this version Scrooge keeps his lucky dime on him at all times.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

There really isn't one.

As nice as it was to see the Beagle Boys reintroduced, I have to say I preferred "The Great Dime Chase" and the way the kids had to deal with two forms of insanity. I imagine all the "international markets" are references to old DuckTales episodes, but I only recognized El Dorado. And considering the original show it makes sense that in this version Scrooge keeps his lucky dime on him at all times.

I dunno if they're all references to something DuckTales: I heard something close to Lillehammer (:norway:) for example. Many Norwegians (and most of Scandinavia really) are diehard Donald Duck comic fans.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Didn't particularly like the design for the beagle boys but I'm always glad to see character actress Margo Martindale in something.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Folt The Bolt posted:

I dunno if they're all references to something DuckTales: I heard something close to Lillehammer (:norway:) for example. Many Norwegians (and most of Scandinavia really) are diehard Donald Duck comic fans.

A quick Google search says there was a Don Rosa comic set on Lillehammmer.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Pakled posted:

A quick Google search says there was a Don Rosa comic set on Lillehammmer.

Ah, are you talking about the Olympic Games one?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

IRQ posted:

Didn't particularly like the design for the beagle boys but I'm always glad to see character actress Margo Martindale in something.

It's a pretty standard design set for a trio: Biggest and the strongest and the dumbest, the middle one (who actually didn't get much characterization), and the short one with a bit of a Napoleon complex. Though as someone who never watched or read any previous Ducktales media, I have no attachment either way.

Both eps were pretty good though and it looks like they're taking it a little easy with the overarching plot as of now.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Xelkelvos posted:

It's a pretty standard design set for a trio: Biggest and the strongest and the dumbest, the middle one (who actually didn't get much characterization), and the short one with a bit of a Napoleon complex. Though as someone who never watched or read any previous Ducktales media, I have no attachment either way.

Both eps were pretty good though and it looks like they're taking it a little easy with the overarching plot as of now.

Bouncer did not seem too dumb.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Got to them.

That bit where Scrooge is in the bath and senses that something's wrong only to replace the cucumbers he has on his eyes for pennies with his bath somehow now being filled with money slayed me as did the delivery of the ransom note to Donald's face

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 24, 2017

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Does anyone else feel like Scrooge's been left out of those two episodes a little, especially in the first one? The second one was basically him arguing with a bunch of accountants who are even bigger miser than he is. Which, by the way, somewhat upsets me. No one should show off to Scrooge in the realm of cheapness!

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

spiderdreamer-blog posted:

Loving the show so far, but I'm curious as what to led to the change in Gyro's personality, given that in the comics and the original show, he was much more genteel and a doormat. It's quite fun, but I have to get used to it, although Jim Rash's mad-scientist routine is a lot of fun.

Frank Angones posted:

There was a big push overall to make Scrooge seem more dangerous/risky, to make you really wonder whether Scrooge or Donald’s parenting styles were right. It was important that Scrooge still have an adventurous life on the fringes of his business. That was reflected in our versions of Beakley and Webby. Part of that was making Scrooge’s business and his associates a little more out there: the payoff of new Gyro’s inventions could be amazing but it’s also fraught with peril. Also, in service of story, this version of Gyro creates more conflict that we can build stories off of.
In terms of how we approached the update, we looked at all of Gyro’s inventions in the original series and how a STAGGERING number of them turned evil and posed some kind of threat. Pretty much only Gizmoduck worked out, because he had Fenton’s good heart powering him.
So we wanted to put Gyro in the same position Scrooge was in the pilot: with the McDuck Enterprises board breathing down his neck and calling all of his ideas “too dangerous”. Gyro ultimately relates to machines more than he does people, and believes each of his inventions are his children, which you can see when he tries to talk Big Bulb down. This is a Gyro who has already built a BUNCH of things that already went evil, but defend them and legitimately believes half his inventions are wildly misunderstood. He reserves his vitriol for those who stand in the way of his work. Gyro has the same passion for inventing that Scrooge has for discovery.
That felt more in keeping with the tone of our show than Gyro being apologetic when an invention went haywire. We have a lot of love for original, kind-hearted, absent-minded Gyro (who, in the comics, COULD go pretty dark or deadpan when an invention went awry). But there are a bunch of other characters coming up whose personalities also fill that roll (Von Drake among them). So for the sake of stories, we pushed Gyro a little out of his typical comfort zone.
Also, because we got Jim Rash, and Jim Rash is AMAZING when he’s going over the top. On more than one occasion, I have referred to him as our show’s secret superweapon.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Uh, do you have a link to where that's from?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Second episode had me laughing loudly several times already. "You buyin' this?"

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

This is setting out to be a pretty different and separate thing from the original, for better or worse. So far I like a lot of the aesthetics, but I feel like since they're trying for a much more long form thing with the writing, it'll be a while before I can really make a judgement on that part. I really loved the archivist though.

Also Webby getting excited at a dog with a bowtie, while in a bus filled with dogs wearing clothes, reading books, and driving the bus?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also Webby getting excited at a dog with a bowtie, while in a bus filled with dogs wearing clothes, reading books, and driving the bus?

I was 100% sure the payoff from that joke was going to be a shot of Goofy walking down the street.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

It was a nice bowtie.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
Is there anywhere to get screengrabs from these episodes? I really want the picture of Della smashing Donald's face into their birthday cake.

She just so happy. :allears:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I imagine all the "international markets" are references to old DuckTales episodes, but I only recognized El Dorado.

I went back and checked. Had to look some of them up, but I think they're all Rosa stories..

Dawson - Site of Scrooge's first riches, per the comics. Also where he met Goldie. I believe he also opened his first bank there to loan miners money?
Lillehammer - Winter olympics, as mentioned.
El Dorado - Obvious treasure location
Culebra - The mountain range that was cut through to make the Panama Canal. In the comics, Scrooge owns that mountain and the U.S. has to make a deal with him to put the Canal there.

dragon_pamcake posted:

Is there anywhere to get screengrabs from these episodes? I really want the picture of Della smashing Donald's face into their birthday cake.

She just so happy. :allears:

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 24, 2017

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
That was fast! Thank you.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

kidcoelacanth posted:

Webby interpreting Louie's hand signal as icing the manager with a spork is easily my favorite moment in this show so far.

Please somebody gif this bit thank you

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Did someone grab a picture of gyros Good-Bad list? I'm pretty sure the time tub was on that. (It gained sentience.)

Also it's probably a good thing that Scrooge doesn't fire him. He's like one step away from becoming a manic super villain.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

cant cook creole bream posted:

Did someone grab a picture of gyros Good-Bad list? I'm pretty sure the time tub was on that. (It gained sentience.)

it had the time tub, Robotica, Armstrong, Little Bulb, and the Cogs from that Toontown game.