Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
woah poppy

Not sure going meta is such a good idea, as that tends to completely change the tone of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Yeah I love Poppy, and I love the IDEA of the joke, but in practice it was just kind of jarring.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I think it worked well as a one-off line, but keeping it going in the second paragraph instead of moving forward made it lose some of the punchiness. There's no such thing as a 'funny background event' in a written format, you have to get that effect through short, quick, off-handed descriptions.

Edit I think the fundamental difference between comics and novels is that reading the written word is an inherently linear experience. Unless you've taught yourself to do it, there's no way to comfortably 'glance through' a couple boring pages. It feel jarring. By the same token, you can't really pore over the structure and vocabulary choice in each individual sentence (unless you're a Tolkien fan, or stunningly pretentious), so there's not a lot of way to hid background detail.

A comic can draw a gun on a mantelpiece, and then have it pulled off later with no direct mention of it. In a book, there would have to be at least one line of description explicitly about the gun's existence, so the reader can end up being much more actively aware that it's important. It's just an inherent part of the medium. Most of Hallia's old gags never would have worked because by acknowledging her existence as a background character you are, inherently, arresting the primary development for a moment.

To use a clumsy metaphor, writing is a winding uphill road and comics are a parking lot. You try to drive around one the way you'd drive around the other, and you're going to have a lot of trouble getting from A to B without turning your narrative into a crumpled wreck of twisted metal.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 24, 2017

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND
The joke was perhaps a bit overwrought.
Now that I'm replaying it in my head, it would be a lot funnier if Boris' reaction was to just skip to asking Poppy why she was there in indignation. One major benefit of working with text is that it's much easier to re-edit if you gently caress something up, but I suppose that then raises questions about authorial integrity once a piece is publicly published.
If I decide to edit a joke that fails to land, should I include a note in the description saying so, or would that be taking things too seriously?
Should I even make those sorts of changes to begin with? It wouldn't exactly be the first time, I once had to go back and tweak a minor visual gag referencing a person I no longer associate with.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
if it is bad just edit it out no one cares. adding a note is nice if you have anyone maintaining searchable fan archives but no one cares about actual authorial integrity or whatever esp. if it was only in the latest update

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Morbi posted:

The joke was perhaps a bit overwrought.
Now that I'm replaying it in my head, it would be a lot funnier if Boris' reaction was to just skip to asking Poppy why she was there in indignation. One major benefit of working with text is that it's much easier to re-edit if you gently caress something up, but I suppose that then raises questions about authorial integrity once a piece is publicly published.
If I decide to edit a joke that fails to land, should I include a note in the description saying so, or would that be taking things too seriously?
Should I even make those sorts of changes to begin with? It wouldn't exactly be the first time, I once had to go back and tweak a minor visual gag referencing a person I no longer associate with.

There's nothing wrong with making the edit, just don't try to shove the earlier version down the memory hole and pretend it never existed. That's the closest thing to "authorial integrity" you need to worry about imo.

For me I'd also say please don't get carried away with footnotes explaining your every creative decision. Save that stuff for people who actually ask.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

PMush Perfect posted:

I think it worked well as a one-off line, but keeping it going in the second paragraph instead of moving forward made it lose some of the punchiness. There's no such thing as a 'funny background event' in a written format, you have to get that effect through short, quick, off-handed descriptions.

Edit I think the fundamental difference between comics and novels is that reading the written word is an inherently linear experience. Unless you've taught yourself to do it, there's no way to comfortably 'glance through' a couple boring pages. It feel jarring. By the same token, you can't really pore over the structure and vocabulary choice in each individual sentence (unless you're a Tolkien fan, or stunningly pretentious), so there's not a lot of way to hid background detail.

A comic can draw a gun on a mantelpiece, and then have it pulled off later with no direct mention of it. In a book, there would have to be at least one line of description explicitly about the gun's existence, so the reader can end up being much more actively aware that it's important. It's just an inherent part of the medium. Most of Hallia's old gags never would have worked because by acknowledging her existence as a background character you are, inherently, arresting the primary development for a moment.

To use a clumsy metaphor, writing is a winding uphill road and comics are a parking lot. You try to drive around one the way you'd drive around the other, and you're going to have a lot of trouble getting from A to B without turning your narrative into a crumpled wreck of twisted metal.

uh there's absolute tons of writing that manages plenty of background detail, you just don't interrupt the flow of the action to dwell on something unless you want to alert the reader that this is narratively significant.

for genre fiction, IDK, Morbi maybe take a look at Neuromancer. Never loses the flow of the narrative, never uses the Tolkien blowhard exposition dump format but still paints such an extremely vivid picture that people have made scores of absolutely identical-looking and -feeling movies knocking it off. Everything it does, it does in word choice and brief descriptors right in the flow of the action.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

uh there's absolute tons of writing that manages plenty of background detail, you just don't interrupt the flow of the action to dwell on something unless you want to alert the reader that this is narratively significant.

for genre fiction, IDK, Morbi maybe take a look at Neuromancer. Never loses the flow of the narrative, never uses the Tolkien blowhard exposition dump format but still paints such an extremely vivid picture that people have made scores of absolutely identical-looking and -feeling movies knocking it off. Everything it does, it does in word choice and brief descriptors right in the flow of the action.

How about Unsounded? Ashley Cope manages to add world details into the story in a way that makes sense to people both reading and being part of the story, and has a separate wiki/github/whatever that she nerds out on the minute background details at.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
That great author of literature, William Gibson

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

are you implying that the shortcomings of Poppy O' Possum the web novel are from trying and failing to be Paradise Lost or just kind of snitting that someone would dare mention a lowly pulp novel author in the webcomics thread

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Yes.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

don't interact

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
with webcomics. They're infectious material.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Interactive webcoms are the worst.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i wonder what it's like to absolutely crave negative attention on the internet

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

An example Lamps might be willing to defend would be Wolfe's Book of the New Sun, as Wolfe is quite literally on record saying that while writing is in theory linear, he finds it a poor showing if he can only make it say two or three things at a time.
And we know Lamps holds Wolfe in some degree of esteem (personally, as a huge fan of Wolfe, I still wouldn't rate him as more literarily important than Gibson; Wolfe is a past master of technique but that's not the only value in literature).

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

neogeo0823 posted:

How about Unsounded? Ashley Cope manages to add world details into the story in a way that makes sense to people both reading and being part of the story, and has a separate wiki/github/whatever that she nerds out on the minute background details at.

Unsounded A of all: is a webcomic, and doesn't need to interrupt the flow of the narrative to describe the setting or minor gags to you and 2 of all: does so anyway, constantly and at tremendous length.

It's not a bad comic but pacing and verbal economy are not among its strengths. Don't write like Cope does.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

An example Lamps might be willing to defend would be Wolfe's Book of the New Sun, as Wolfe is quite literally on record saying that while writing is in theory linear, he finds it a poor showing if he can only make it say two or three things at a time.
And we know Lamps holds Wolfe in some degree of esteem (personally, as a huge fan of Wolfe, I still wouldn't rate him as more literarily important than Gibson; Wolfe is a past master of technique but that's not the only value in literature).

I found this on the side of the road somewhere and it really spoke to me

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Unsounded A of all: is a webcomic, and doesn't need to interrupt the flow of the narrative to describe the setting or minor gags to you and 2 of all: does so anyway, constantly and at tremendous length.

It's not a bad comic but pacing and verbal economy are not among its strengths. Don't write like Cope does.

I've read through most of the comic, but I could never get over the cadence of how people talk. It just drives me nuts.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The writing is a bit dense and it makes it a little hard to follow the plot sometimes but I don't know what you mean by cadence. I kinda like how the characters have a distinctive voice to them that makes it fairly easy to identify who's voice even without context. The comic seems to rely a little bit too much on external resources though to track what the gently caress some of the stuff going on in universe is. It drop names and concepts into the story without exposition pretty frequently.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Glagha posted:

The writing is a bit dense and it makes it a little hard to follow the plot sometimes but I don't know what you mean by cadence. I kinda like how the characters have a distinctive voice to them that makes it fairly easy to identify who's voice even without context. The comic seems to rely a little bit too much on external resources though to track what the gently caress some of the stuff going on in universe is. It drop names and concepts into the story without exposition pretty frequently.

I wasn't quite sure what I meant either, but sometimes it almost feels like they're talking in verse. Duane is particularly bad about it, especially when he has longer monologues.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah, I can see that but I'm pretty sure that's just Duane's thing. Like he uses extremely purple prose and references theater all the time. He's a giant nerd.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Pavlov posted:

*AHEM* I think you mean The Artist Formerly Known as John Campbell.

Hey this is from a bit back but poo poo I didn't know that they changed their name. I hadn't heard anything about them besides the kickstarter stuff so I didn't mean to misgender them/call them by a name they don't use any more. My bad y'all.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Glagha posted:

Yeah, I can see that but I'm pretty sure that's just Duane's thing. Like he uses extremely purple prose and references theater all the time. He's a giant nerd.

Duane is a giant nerd, and worse, he's a highly educated giant nerd who adores the Continental tongue, so he speaks like someone who was born with a university English department shoved up his butt.

e: he's still not alone in that, though, the dialogue in Unsounded definitely suffers from an overabundance of affect.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Dr. Hurt posted:

Hey this is from a bit back but poo poo I didn't know that they changed their name. I hadn't heard anything about them besides the kickstarter stuff so I didn't mean to misgender them/call them by a name they don't use any more. My bad y'all.

I'm not knocking you about pronouns. I'm still not sure what their gender situation is. If they properly transitioned at some point it's hard to tell, because it happened in the middle of some weird emotional break/avant-garde performance art piece. I just remember them saying that John Campbell wasn't their name anymore, without giving a replacement, then later announcing their name to be "Basic Income Please". I could never quite tell if they were serious about that or not.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

nine-gear crow posted:

A fair point, I just wanted an excuse to reference that bit of Wolfe; it may go a bit sideways, but it gets at both the linear nature of text in a, ahem, literal sense - and the fact that a lot of writing is concerned with circumventing or complicating that arrangement.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Kazerad posted:

I don't know, I have this fear of becoming disconnected. People don't contact me directly with criticism and complaints, it only occurs on public forums, and I feel kind of obligated to experience it lest I grow complacent among people sending me bland praise. And just watching without acknowledging I'm there or contributing feels rude? I don't think I'm good at meshing with SA culture though, and I feel bad about that. I am not very good at this.

This is just not true. I contact you directly with criticism and complaints fairly regularly.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

This is just not true. I contact you directly with criticism and complaints fairly regularly.

Kazerad must get so many goatse edits at this point that they all start running together

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Joe Slowboat posted:

Don't insert words into my mouth.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Overruled. Continue inserting words into BotL's mouth.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

nine-gear crow posted:

lol

Poppy O'Possum is now a Japanese light novel basically and thus incredibly bad.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Tim is kind of selling me on the idea that Shelley deserves better.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I love webcomics

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Morbi is the Murakami of webcomics and is to be showered with praise and riches

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
As long as you don't post anything denigrating the UVF or any anti-Loyalist things in general.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
bravest how do u do it

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

My reindeer do the shitposting, I'm just their scribe

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i probably should be careful, i got told off by a mod in pyf for my flagrant bigotry

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

http://scarygoround.com/?date=20170925. This really is dovetailing nicely into the start of The Big Hiatus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Tollymain posted:

bravest how do u do it

My faith in webclevins spurs me on.