Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

please don't post pictures of the president's guest cottage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

It looks like there is something (someone) wrapped in plastic in the tub...

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Powered Descent posted:

Well, there it is, the single most unwelcoming, uncomfortable-looking room I've ever seen.

Now now Emily thought it was quite charming when it was Laura's turn to hold the DOTAR meeting.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

So I'm moving! I'm renting a loft apartment for the first time, and I really have no idea how to decorate it. The apartment building itself is really old, there are only a handful of units and the downstairs is a finance firm and the upstairs is lawyers. It even has one of those old fashioned elevators to get to the garage out in the hallway.

How do you separate space? I want to have where my bed is cordoned off a little, since people will have to go upstairs to go the bathroom. The place looks amazing though, the view from the porch is fantastic and the whole unit is pretty nice.

A look at the first floor

Second floor and bathroom

I love the shared porch and the water feature
It even comes with an awesome live laugh love sticker I get to remove. Right now I'm just in a frenzy of packing and getting anxious for the new job, but I wanted to start thinking of what to do.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

You can have the first ironic LIVE LAUGH LOVE.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
First, put two of those bar stools outside, and put one up in the bathroom to do your makeup and shaving on. Who needs that many bar stools in a loft apartment?

Are you fond of the 1980's converted warehouse vibe inside, or looking to move in a different direction? Can you paint the walls? Maybe change the cabinet harware?

It's screaming for a nice rug though.

As far a dividing the space, pick an aesthetic and https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/sb0/room-dividers-c416703.html

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 24, 2017

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TheManWithNoName posted:

You can have the first ironic LIVE LAUGH LOVE.

I heard if you take down a LIVE LAUGH LOVE sticker you'll never live laugh or love again. :ohdear:

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
I didn't realize live-laugh-love came in a tramp stamp edition.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

TheLastManStanding posted:

I didn't realize it didn't.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Nice rugs to cover that gross flooring in the loft. Also good for differentiating spaces along with dividers.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

"What do you want in your house?" "One of everything. We want statues, and an arch, and a pool, and a sauna, and a wine cellar, and a fireplace, and a walk in closet, and and and... Also, take all the windows from the front of the house and put them in the back."

http://www.magnussonmakleri.se/objekt/obj19656_1575882482/?view=images#bilder

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Wall "paper" went up this weekend. I don't recommend doing anything larger than a 10x10 wall because you'll hate yourself if you do anymore.

Junk pick up is this weekend so I get to rip out some carpet. :dance:

Some clean up needed near the corners but I'm very happy with it. Makes the room look bigger and with winter coming I can pretend I'm somewhere else.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Suspect Bucket posted:

First, put two of those bar stools outside, and put one up in the bathroom to do your makeup and shaving on. Who needs that many bar stools in a loft apartment?

Are you fond of the 1980's converted warehouse vibe inside, or looking to move in a different direction? Can you paint the walls? Maybe change the cabinet harware?

It's screaming for a nice rug though.

As far a dividing the space, pick an aesthetic and https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/sb0/room-dividers-c416703.html

I actually don't think I get the barstools but I can't recall from the tour. Since I'm renting, I'm a bit limited in what I can replace. I like the industrial feel but it is very different from any other vibe I've worked with. I tend to usually use plants as a way to liven up spaces. How do you decorate a loft while still keeping that aesthetic?

Rugs yes, for sure. Dividers I'm looking into.

Facebook Aunt posted:

I heard if you take down a LIVE LAUGH LOVE sticker you'll never live laugh or love again. :ohdear:

TheLastManStanding posted:

Pick posted:

I didn't realize it didn't.

I think I've tossed enough generic saying home decor that I'll come back around cheat code style into tons of laughing/loving. Also now I totally can't unsee it as a trashy tattoo.

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

Nice rugs to cover that gross flooring in the loft. Also good for differentiating spaces along with dividers.

The upper floor, from what I recalled from the tour, doesn't look like the pics anymore. I think they must have taken those mid re-do. If my memory is failing though, rugs everywhere for sure.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Collateral Damage posted:

"What do you want in your house?" "One of everything. We want statues, and an arch, and a pool, and a sauna, and a wine cellar, and a fireplace, and a walk in closet, and and and... Also, take all the windows from the front of the house and put them in the back."

I never knew that I wanted an in-living-room pool, but boy do I ever.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

I actually would like to live here. I would just ignore the statues, or deface them in amusing ways.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I can't get past the grey-painted pebbledashing. That's the hallmark of 70s council houses left to rot.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
You know what's a ton of fun? Trying to hang pictures symmetrically when the wires on the back are different distances from the top when under tension, the walls are not straight, and the decorative trim on the wall is also not straight but in different ways. Yet another argument for "build new rather than buy old."

(The solution, as always: application of a laser level and copious profanity.)

As always, please excuse the mess and the animal-proofing. I'm also not sure why the first picture turned out so terrible, but it gets the point across. To anyone that's interested, the prints are a matching set of the construction of the Wilson Dam in Albany, by Vernon Howe Bailey circa the mid 1930s.

Left side facing the couch.

Right side facing the couch.

I have one more matching print to hang, temporarily placed in a cat-proof location. The painting to the left and the XKCD comic (yeah, yeah) to the right will be placed under the lights after I get another white frame. The Da Vinci thing will be going back up over the fireplace eventually. Yeah, it's cheap, but I like it.

I don't think this is going to look right over the fireplace since it is taller than the surrounding trim, so I want to place it over the couch. The question is, do I center it over the couch, or center it on the wall where the current "bought it at Ikea because I I had no money for decorating at the time" piece currently is?

The hanging point was there when I moved in. Moving the couch isn't gonna happen, it doesn't look right at all if it's off-center with respect to the fireplace. I was thinking of centering the print, and then get a vertically-oriented piece (or several smaller pieces oriented vertically) to balance the space above the couch.

Jesus, I need to clean this place up.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I love the mixed black and white tile bathroom floor for real though.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I love the mixed black and white tile bathroom floor for real though.

Only 1.4 million. The grout is an abomination.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I could really use some advice. I'm trying to figure out how to get a dining area into my great room:

I moved in here a few weeks ago, so there's still a lot that needs doing. I like the paint color in here but I need to wash the walls and do a fresh coat because they got really dinged up when the previous owners moved out. I also want to replace my old couch with this couch, which I think would be a better fit. I want to replace the light fixture (I don't know what direction I want to go in with that yet, I just want more overhead lighting in the room), and I need to decorate and get something up on these walls and maybe install valances over the windows. Oh, and I still need to replace the closet doors to hide that laundry nook in the back.

Anyway, back to the dining area. The room is easily large enough to accommodate two purposes (living room + other), but it's a bit of a stretch to make it fit three. I work from home and I spend like 12+ hours at my desk almost every day, so it's really important to me that I have my desk in here instead of in one of the bedrooms which are small and kind of airless in comparison (and I love the desk itself). As it stands, using the great room for a living room + mini-office does leave a decently-sized open area where I feel like I can fit some kind of dining area. It's exactly 11 feet from the back of the couch to the wall/entryway/kitchen, and it's exactly 9 feet from the edge of the rug for my mini-office to the far wall. The new couch won't really impact those measurements.

I feel like I have three options:

- Get a rectangular table that's 36 inches wide and 48-60 inches long, put a 5x7 area rug under it, and get those rubber feet or whatever to keep the chairs from scraping my new wood floor.

- Since it's nearly a square space, put a 48-inch round/square/slight oval table there with a 7x7 area rug (round/square/oval-shaped depending on the shape of the dining table itself) under it.

- Put it up against the wall somehow. A friend suggested this and I have a really hard time visualizing how that would look good, but maybe somebody here will get what he meant.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice? Thank you!

surf rock fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 28, 2017

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

How many people will you need to be able to seat? A bistro set would fit into the space easily, but only seats 2.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Would you be using the table every night? Tilt top and drop leaf style tables do great in small spaces--the table would be against the wall until you use or have guests over. The tilt tops tend to be small/best for a couple. The drop leaf you can use every day with two and fold up the leaves when you have company.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

surf rock posted:

- Put it up against the wall somehow. A friend suggested this and I have a really hard time visualizing how that would look good, but maybe somebody here will get what he meant.

Do you know which wall he meant? If he meant the long wall, that'd be a no -- it would block the flow of traffic coming into the apartment and just plain look awkward. If he meant the short wall in between the kitchen and the entryway, that might be doable depending on how wide it is (hard to tell from the photo), if you have a small enough set. My brother and his wife have a rectangular pub table and 4 stools in their apartment, with the short side of the table against the wall. It works pretty well.

Facebook Aunt posted:

How many people will you need to be able to seat? A bistro set would fit into the space easily, but only seats 2.

This is a very good question. Likely the most important question, because it determines just how big a set you need.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
One of the wall mounted tables that fold up and some folding chairs are you best bet if you want guest seating or a bar style wall long table against mounted to the wall. That's such an awkward space.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

surf rock posted:

I feel like I have three options:

- Get a rectangular table that's 36 inches wide and 48-60 inches long, put a 5x7 area rug under it, and get those rubber feet or whatever to keep the chairs from scraping my new wood floor.

- Since it's nearly a square space, put a 48-inch round/square/slight oval table there with a 7x7 area rug (round/square/oval-shaped depending on the shape of the dining table itself) under it.

If you have an area rug under the table the chairs will be on that, unless you like to sit a couple feet away from the table when you eat. You could easily put the short edge of a rectangular table up against the wall and still have all the seating be fairly easily accessible, but you've got the space so might as well float furniture whenever you can. A new lamp hanging over the table might help define the "zones" better too.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Wow, thank you all for the feedback!

I'd prefer to be able to seat 4 (I don't have folks over every night but I do at least twice a week), but I'm open to the idea of having it set up to seat 2 most of the time and just moving it out to the middle area when I have that much company.

I actually still have my old apartment dining set, so I put it up against the wall to try to figure out how it looks sans rug. Here are the pics of that (it's a 40-inch table, for reference):

This is better than I had pictured, actually. I'd need to get a different set, but I can see it. It feels a little awkward having that in front of the entryway, but there's a seven feet gap between the front door and the closest chair; so it doesn't feel super cramped like that.

Inexplicably, it just struck me that I could also test to see how a round table would look if it were roughly centered in the open area. Here are those pictures:

Again, this is a smaller table than I'm envisioning and I'd need to get a rug and something that would match the rest of the room, but it's super convenient to be able to stage it like this.

I tried it against the short wall between the entryway and kitchen, but even this small table is too big for that wall (it's barely 4 feet long).

What do you all think, which approach do you think is better?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Ikea's Galeg table might be your answer. I think you're going to get tired of walking around the table.

Leave it up for a week like the second configuration and see how you feel.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

This looks fine. I'm not sure how much larger a table you'd want there though, a larger table could start cutting into walkways particularly when you have people over and the chairs are farther from the table.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Definitely don't do it in the walkway. The round one looks OK. I personally would get a rectangular one and back it up to the back of the couch. A gateleg table (I think is what cheese eats mouse meant) would be super convenient.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

cheese eats mouse posted:

Ikea's Galeg table might be your answer. I think you're going to get tired of walking around the table.

Leave it up for a week like the second configuration and see how you feel.

Yeah, float the table. Putting the table in the walkway is obnoxious. The room should have a clean line to walk straight through it.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Isn't the main walkway from the kitchen to the other areas? How often do you go in out your front door?

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Thank you all again for your help!

I'd say the walkway from the kitchen to other areas is used more frequently than the front door walkway, but realistically, both are used a lot and floating the table doesn't meaningfully impede either walkway in the same way that having it against the long wall does.

I checked out the Gateleg tables and I don't really like them, unfortunately. This one seems too bulky with all of the storage and this one has a lot going on visually when it's extended, plus both use a light wood that might look out-of-place with all of the other furniture in the room and I don't need the extra storage. They are affordable, though; I want to keep the dining set under $800 and the rug under $250.

I would absolutely love recommendations for dining sets and area rugs now that I've got the room placement figured out. :)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Paint your current dining set black and get a bigger one five years later.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'd get a Saarinen table when you're ready to buy.

http://www.dwr.com/dining-tables/saarinen-round-dining-table/7204.html?lang=en_US#lang=en_US&start=6

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

surf rock posted:

Thank you all again for your help!

I'd say the walkway from the kitchen to other areas is used more frequently than the front door walkway, but realistically, both are used a lot and floating the table doesn't meaningfully impede either walkway in the same way that having it against the long wall does.

I checked out the Gateleg tables and I don't really like them, unfortunately. This one seems too bulky with all of the storage and this one has a lot going on visually when it's extended, plus both use a light wood that might look out-of-place with all of the other furniture in the room and I don't need the extra storage. They are affordable, though; I want to keep the dining set under $800 and the rug under $250.

I would absolutely love recommendations for dining sets and area rugs now that I've got the room placement figured out. :)

It might help with recommendations if we knew what is wrong with the dining set you have? It looks fine and fits the space reasonably well. What do you hate about it?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Yo do you got any good places for mid-century style hardwood dining tables that I haven't already heard of? I wanted to get this solid brass bistro table from CB2 but Much Larger Brontosaurus shot that down because "neither of us are dictators" :colbert:

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Hi guys, looks like I'm only a few weeks away from my very own house - I'm so excited. If you remember, the vendors had something of a love affair with wood - not only have they sanded and waxed all the trim, but they've gone nuts with wooden furniture too. I'm definitely looking at some cool blues and greys, and area rugs, to balance the yellow in the wood. Here are some photos from the estate agent
https://imgur.com/a/fGB5N

In terms of a cohesive style, now I specifically want less adorned furniture than you see above and so Mid Century modern - or at least the bastard british cousin of the american style - would appear to suffice, but I'm worried that going for something that's "on point" as opposed to having long term appeal is a bad choice. Either way I'm looking at used older furniture than new (although as you can see the Mahogany in the bedroom looks terrible, so despite being fairly cheap I think I'll have to skip that)

I've had a craftsman style of decorating recommended (because frankly it's halfway there already) but I'm worried that it will end up looking like it does now (i.e. a restaurant in a Polish village) - I'm not sure what I'd need to avoid/pursue to stop it looking chintzy as gently caress - it seems that dark wood is vastly preferred but as you can see, I've got pine everywhere. Of note, I think the floors need re-varnishing, so I was thinking of using a darker tinted varnish there. The bedroom has the picture rail and skirting painted white, and I think it lifts the room alot - but I'm not sure if that would be a big shame to do in the long run, any thoughts on that would be much appreciated.

Lastly, I checked out Art Deco (which seems to mesh with Craftsman fairly well) but every single piece of furniture I've seen in that style looks uncomfortable as gently caress, and I definitely prefer the more nuanced examples as opposed to HEY THIS LOOKS LIKE BIOSHOCK RITE

tl;dr - How can I avoid Craftsman-style looking tacky? Should I be worried at Mid-Century not aging well? Should I look at painting the picture rail/skirting? If I revarnish the floor, should I look at tinting it darker?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Southern Heel posted:

Hi guys, looks like I'm only a few weeks away from my very own house - I'm so excited. If you remember, the vendors had something of a love affair with wood - not only have they sanded and waxed all the trim, but they've gone nuts with wooden furniture too. I'm definitely looking at some cool blues and greys, and area rugs, to balance the yellow in the wood. Here are some photos from the estate agent
https://imgur.com/a/fGB5N

In terms of a cohesive style, now I specifically want less adorned furniture than you see above and so Mid Century modern - or at least the bastard british cousin of the american style - would appear to suffice, but I'm worried that going for something that's "on point" as opposed to having long term appeal is a bad choice. Either way I'm looking at used older furniture than new (although as you can see the Mahogany in the bedroom looks terrible, so despite being fairly cheap I think I'll have to skip that)

I've had a craftsman style of decorating recommended (because frankly it's halfway there already) but I'm worried that it will end up looking like it does now (i.e. a restaurant in a Polish village) - I'm not sure what I'd need to avoid/pursue to stop it looking chintzy as gently caress - it seems that dark wood is vastly preferred but as you can see, I've got pine everywhere. Of note, I think the floors need re-varnishing, so I was thinking of using a darker tinted varnish there. The bedroom has the picture rail and skirting painted white, and I think it lifts the room alot - but I'm not sure if that would be a big shame to do in the long run, any thoughts on that would be much appreciated.

Lastly, I checked out Art Deco (which seems to mesh with Craftsman fairly well) but every single piece of furniture I've seen in that style looks uncomfortable as gently caress, and I definitely prefer the more nuanced examples as opposed to HEY THIS LOOKS LIKE BIOSHOCK RITE

tl;dr - How can I avoid Craftsman-style looking tacky? Should I be worried at Mid-Century not aging well? Should I look at painting the picture rail/skirting? If I revarnish the floor, should I look at tinting it darker?

I LOVE Craftsman houses so I'll have more to say when it's not so late here, but mission-style furniture always goes well with Craftsman interiors, as does the more minimal Shaker style. Generally look for American furniture styles over European ones and everything should meld well. Don't try to match wood furniture exactly to your house - go for varied but harmonious woods. Also you might not find that cool hues "balance" the warm wood trim as much as you're hoping. It might be better to work with it, in non-lemony yellows, oranges, reds - warm tones that can ground the wood trim on a continuum of color.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s worth investing and researching Art Deco. There is a lot of it about and there is a huge difference in quality between the high end stuff and everything else. You can’t even go on price because people will put a premium on it just because they can. If it were my money I would get One or two bits from a specialist dealer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

^ Understood - I'm on the fence because it's contemporary to when the house was built, but I don't think it would match the amount of wood we've got. I'll check out Art Deco as a general movement more though.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I LOVE Craftsman houses so I'll have more to say when it's not so late here, but mission-style furniture always goes well with Craftsman interiors, as does the more minimal Shaker style. Generally look for American furniture styles over European ones and everything should meld well. Don't try to match wood furniture exactly to your house - go for varied but harmonious woods. Also you might not find that cool hues "balance" the warm wood trim as much as you're hoping. It might be better to work with it, in non-lemony yellows, oranges, reds - warm tones that can ground the wood trim on a continuum of color.

Te Shaker style looks really really nice. I was actually thinking of having very little wood furniture at all (or at least, having fabrics/etc. as the majority of colour blocking) but the following really get my gears going:
https://imgur.com/a/xc17B

You'll notice though, that all of the pictures show dark wood floors - is this something that I should look into? Is there anything else this style is known by? I ask because there are very few ebay/gumtree listings for 'Shaker'