Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Prelim ratings for the premiere are 1.6 18-49 and 8.2 million total viewers. These will likely be adjusted later today due to the weirdo start time.

For comparison. the premiere episode of the Orville got a 2.8 18-49 and 8.6 million, which was adjusted up to 3.5 and 11.3 million once 3 days of DVR numbers were accounted for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Ok but what was any of his setup for then? The light show, the big speech, the predictions? The other Klingons didn't know about the cloaking device at that point so no reason they'd be impressed with that. If all he needed to do to get Klingons to rally to him was to get some Federation ships in front of them, seems like he could have just gotten some people drunk and taken them joy-riding to Andoria or something.

Because presumably the prediction made in-show that he's going to become a martyr is coming to pass. He used higher Klingon ideals (appealing to Kahless, glory, and fighting in unity against a worthy enemy) to help rally them, and that ideology can continue on without him. Especially via the albino Klingon.

Also, showmanship is just generally useful for getting people onboard with your ideas.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 25, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Anyone else think the albino Klingon is a bit offensive on a couple of levels?

Number one, reinforcing long held stereotypes about albinos being villains.

Number two, taking a race that traditionally is usually portrayed by POCs and making their leader a white dude.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Anyone else think the albino Klingon is a bit offensive on a couple of levels?

Number one, reinforcing long held stereotypes about albinos being villains.

Number two, taking a race that traditionally is usually portrayed by POCs and making their leader a white dude.

I don't know if it was coherent enough to be offensive but it was pretty much a completely unnecessary minefield that they wandered into, yes.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

To be fair, pale Klingons aren't uncommon in later Trek series, clearly they overcome that prejudice.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The main ones I can think of are Star Trek 3 and 6, which have their own bundle of problems. The most sophisticated Klingon quoting Shakespeare of course is white.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I wonder if that albino Klingon is supposed to be The Albino from that one episode of DS9.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I've had All Access for a little while now so we can catch up on another show. I'm a little irked that the 2nd episode was just the second half of the pilot. Worse than that were the nearly constant seeming ads. Felt like every 10 minutes there was an ad break. I'm not a fan of paying money for something only to have it ruined by ads and I'm already paying for too many streaming services. On top of that, I had several occasions where it would freeze and buffer. It never did that during an ad though, only during the show. I'll probably cancel AA after this is done. The whole serialized drama aspect is an interesting direction for the show. Makes it feel really modern. The tech is out of place for the time period, feels like a direct continuation of the JJTrek movies. I thought this was supposed to be in the original timeline? The bits where the holograms glitched out didn't faze me much... felt just like there were dropped packets somewhere. So it's like the person moved but we didn't see some of the movement due to the missing packets. I don't know any of the Klingon, but it sounded really stilted. I'm not sure if it's due to the actors not being very familiar with it themselves, or if it's meant to be that way. I'm really wishing they would make another optimistic future Trek though. I'll keep watching because it is Trek.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I don't think it's across the board true that Klingons have been "traditionally" played by blacks. TOS Klingons are obviously brownface, Christopher Lloyd and Christopher Plummer, Richard O'Reilly and JG Hertzler? Against which you have Michael Dorn and Tony Todd. There's definitely plenty of black Klingons but I don't think I'd say "Klingons are black".

The whole white Klingon thing was spectacularly ill-judged though.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's one criticism I'll disagree with. The tech looks more modern, but its actual capabilities seem completely period appropriate and don't seem more advanced than they should be.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pakled posted:

I wonder if that albino Klingon is supposed to be The Albino from that one episode of DS9.
Oddly, the timing would work out since Kang, Kor, and Koloth were all serving in the KDF at this point.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The main ones I can think of are Star Trek 3 and 6, which have their own bundle of problems. The most sophisticated Klingon quoting Shakespeare of course is white.

The first one that came to mind for me was the religious guy who made Clone-Kahless.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah given the list above I guess it really is a mix of actors.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Well, in other news, MovieBob liked it. I'm generally in sync with his reviews, so that's something.

He's reviewing episodes 1-3, with some spoilers to be had so if you're looking to avoid them, steer clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndKTnDwBIG8

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The whole thing was just unnecessary. That Klingon being without a house should have been enough to have the other houses shun him, making him visually different and making that part of why he was shunned is kind of insulting to the audience.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

So despite having watched every episode of every series and every film I'm not really that invested in Star Trek. I'm perfectly fine with them visually updating the designs of everything to keep with the times. But, that said, the new Klingon design is awful. I'm sure on paper it look okay but on screen, in close up, it's laughably terrible. Just a big hunk of plastic glued to the actors.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I kinda liked it. I'll keep watching.

jng2058 posted:

There's no guarantee that's actually what they're going for, or if that idea survived into the post-Fuller Discovery, but everything we've seen so far seems to be heading that way.

Great, first Captain America becomes a Nazi and now this.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
I was so disappointed. What in the everloving gently caress?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

jng2058 posted:

Well, in other news, MovieBob liked it. I'm generally in sync with his reviews, so that's something.

He's reviewing episodes 1-3, with some spoilers to be had so if you're looking to avoid them, steer clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndKTnDwBIG8

Absolutely everything I've heard about the first two episodes sounds like something I'm not interested but I've found myself agreeing with MovieBob more often than not so I guess I'll give the series a shot.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wrong thread to talk about how terrible discovery is.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 25, 2017

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

This is the no spoiler thread dude.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
The season trailer at the end of the second episode heavily implied that everything prior to the third epsiode might really be more of a prologue. So I've got hope that this was all heavy handed setup!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Hey, spoilers. There's a Discovery thread for a reason.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

The whole cold open segment was terrible. How with their technology could they be lost? Why didn't they have some sort of beacon or pre-arranged meeting point. The ship can see a tiny little trek symbol of footprints from space yet it can't detect the only 2 humans on the planet? Why didn't they just beam down to the well and not have to trek across the desert?

Have you never watched an episode of Star Trek before?

There was a crazy storm happening on the planet, that usually fucks with sensors, teleporters, etc. Think about how common it is for them to send down away teams to trudge around in every single Star Trek series ever. Just because we didn't see the setup/explanations doesn't mean it should be utterly baffling.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

I'm sorry you don't like Star Trek.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Trek pilots are usually not the best examples of their shows but they each had at least some compelling hook to make you want to tune into the next episode, with this I'm left feeling I've seen into an ugly world filled with ugly or at least stupid people and ...?

I really hope the third episode is a big turn around kind of like The Orville had a Good third episode that made me go "oohhhh I get it now." I want so badly for a good Star Trek show again and this feels more like an inappropriate third rate BSG knock off, like Stargate Universe.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

pyrotek posted:

Prelim ratings for the premiere are 1.6 18-49 and 8.2 million total viewers. These will likely be adjusted later today due to the weirdo start time.

For comparison. the premiere episode of the Orville got a 2.8 18-49 and 8.6 million, which was adjusted up to 3.5 and 11.3 million once 3 days of DVR numbers were accounted for.

Wait... are you saying The Orville got better ratings than the official Star Trek? :aaa:

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Haven't seen the Discovery pilot yet, but does it have any sort of "passing the torch" scene from Enterprise like the other series had from their respective predecessors?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Oh! Another irritating thing about the airing last night! CBS extended the timeslot by five minutes. Why? So they could squeeze in four more minutes of commercials before one last ad for Part Two on All Access. Terrible!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Lord Hydronium posted:

Haven't seen the Discovery pilot yet, but does it have any sort of "passing the torch" scene from Enterprise like the other series had from their respective predecessors?

There's not a single mention of Enterprise or a hint to it whatsoever besides except referencing the forming races of the Federation.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Lord Hydronium posted:

Nope. I didn't recognize any actors from ENT or any reference to Archer or the NX-01.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Lord Hydronium posted:

Nope

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
This pilot made me really appreciate DS9's pilot more, which I recently rewatched due to Greatest Gen hopefully starting it soon.

You're introduced to Sisko, the Wormhole/Prophets, the Cardassian/Bajor conflict, Sisko's grieving past (and they actually SHOW Worf-359, long before Star Trek First Contact's similar scene).

Plus every single character gets their own little introduction, right down to Quark/Odo conflict, Dax, Bashir, O'Brien, Kira, even Jake. Sure a lot of them get seriously fleshed out from their initial appearance (Quark is less of a con man later in the series and Bashir is seriously less of a green annoying Starfleet newbie), but hell-- it's a great pilot. And the show was made at the height of TNG's fame, so it has legit special effects that don't look too dated (even the inside of the wormhole doesn't look TOO early 90s bad CGI).

THE DEATH OF JENNIFER SISKO AND THE DESTRUCTION OF U.S.S. SARATOGA AT WOLF 359, by Brandon Bird

edit - Fun fact, the actor who plays Martok was the Vulcan captain of the Saratoga at Wolf 359. He had the honor of being killed twice in the same show before being brought on as a permanent reoccuring character.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 25, 2017

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Nullsmack posted:

I've had All Access for a little while now so we can catch up on another show. I'm a little irked that the 2nd episode was just the second half of the pilot. Worse than that were the nearly constant seeming ads. Felt like every 10 minutes there was an ad break. I'm not a fan of paying money for something only to have it ruined by ads and I'm already paying for too many streaming services. On top of that, I had several occasions where it would freeze and buffer. It never did that during an ad though, only during the show. I'll probably cancel AA after this is done. The whole serialized drama aspect is an interesting direction for the show. Makes it feel really modern. The tech is out of place for the time period, feels like a direct continuation of the JJTrek movies. I thought this was supposed to be in the original timeline? The bits where the holograms glitched out didn't faze me much... felt just like there were dropped packets somewhere. So it's like the person moved but we didn't see some of the movement due to the missing packets. I don't know any of the Klingon, but it sounded really stilted. I'm not sure if it's due to the actors not being very familiar with it themselves, or if it's meant to be that way. I'm really wishing they would make another optimistic future Trek though. I'll keep watching because it is Trek.

I've kind of been thinking of cancelling my Netflix subscription because the selection is kinda meh these days and Hulu kind of creams them. So I'm not really on board with CBS All Access.

I mean, Netflix doesn't even have Seinfeld anymore. What the hell?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Drone posted:

There's not a single mention of Enterprise or a hint to it whatsoever besides except referencing the forming races of the Federation.
Well, that's disappointing. As someone who likes Enterprise more than the fan consensus, I appreciated that it got some nods in the movies (especially Beyond).

jeeves posted:

This pilot made me really appreciate DS9's pilot more, which I recently rewatched due to Greatest Gen hopefully starting it soon.
Yeah, Emissary is easily the best Trek pilot. And not to make this whole post about defending Enterprise, but I'd make an argument for Broken Bow being up there too. It's an entertaining two hours that lays out the mission statement of the series nicely, with both a sense of discovery and the corresponding idea that humans have no idea what the gently caress they're doing and are improvising their way through things. Unfortunately I think that gets overshadowed with the Temporal Cold War stuff (which never went anywhere, but that's an issue with the rest of the series, not the pilot) and the gratuitous T&A, which is dumb but also a relatively small part of the episode.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 25, 2017

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

Wait... are you saying The Orville got better ratings than the official Star Trek? :aaa:

Discovery adjusted up to a 1.9 and 9.6 million viewers, so The Orville got better ratings in the demographic advertisers care about, but had less overall viewers. I'm pretty surprised it was so close, myself.

That said, only Fox cares about the ratings since CBS just wants people to sign up for All Access.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Seriously this Discovery pilot felt like Star Trek Beyond. It felt like nothing mattered and I am completely disinterested to watch more. Plus, I barely know any or give a poo poo about any of the characters: the annoying main one who I already dislike, the reboot of Sarak who is just as annoying (especially with his new super powers), the now-dead captain so wow thanks for spending so long introducing her, and the also equally annoying Doug Jones character. No one else even had a name, and apparently a I cared more about that rando Daft Punk guy?

The best insult was the captain randomly dying in like the last few minutes without much fanfare, and her super rushed court martial.
The "Preview" of the coming season should have been the second episode with how much loving time they wasted in episode 1 and 2.

Mod Edit: Make sure to properly tag spoilers.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 26, 2017

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Lord Hydronium posted:

Yeah, Emissary is easily the best Trek pilot.

Well, it used to be.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lord Hydronium posted:

Well, that's disappointing. As someone who likes Enterprise more than the fan consensus, I appreciated that it got some nods in the movies (especially Beyond).

Yeah, Emissary is easily the best Trek pilot. And not to make this whole post about defending Enterprise, but I'd make an argument for Broken Bow being up there too. It's an entertaining two hours that lays out the mission statement of the series nicely, with both a sense of discovery and the corresponding idea that humans have no idea what the gently caress they're doing and are improvising their way through things. Unfortunately I think that gets overshadowed with the Temporal Cold War stuff (which never went anywhere, but that's an issue with the rest of the series, not the pilot) and the gratuitous T&A, which is dumb but also a relatively small part of the episode.

Discovery was pretty guilty of gratituous t&a itself, with the whole sixbay scene of Michael deciding she needs to get up and run around in Leeloo Dallas wraps for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

CPColin posted:

Oh! Another irritating thing about the airing last night! CBS extended the timeslot by five minutes. Why? So they could squeeze in four more minutes of commercials before one last ad for Part Two on All Access. Terrible!

I was pissed about that. I watched all those ads and it comes back to an ad spoiling the entire 2nd part and then some credits at the bottom of the screen.