Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm skeptical. I don't think she'll be redeemed by way of amends. I think she'll be redeemed by Starfleet deciding she was right. I'm not subscribing to a $6 a month service to find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Baronjutter posted:

It's hosed up that streaming services have to "out bid" each other. Imagine having to choose between buying games on steam or buying them on green man or GOG or what ever. I so so wish we could get away from networks and exclusive poo poo and just have stuff on multiple competing platforms.

It still is, to a degree. Battle.Net is still a thing. Same with Origin. The difference is that you don't have to pay to use those different services, and that's where it really sucks rear end in the streaming TV. Ten bucks a month for Netflix is one thing. But then another $100 a year for Amazon Prime (which is only access to a fraction of what Amazon has available, the rest requires other subs or a rental or purchase fee), $6 a month for Hulu, and now $6 to $10 a month for CBS All Access? And it's only going to get worse as more and more companies throw their hats into the ring.

In short, the online TV market needs someone to win the way Steam has in the digital game download space...but it needs the winner to not be assholes about it or else the monopoly will only make things worse. :sigh:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

bull3964 posted:

It isn't strange and surprising, you have the perfect example why that is with Discovery.

Networks are threatened by Netflix. They are less of a platform to show their content than they are a direct competitor. So, when deals are renegotiated, they are pulling content off Netflix to platforms they feel they can control better and doesn't threaten their own existence.

I guess Streaming services are becoming like TV channels where if you want to watch a certain show, you need to tune in to a particular channel. Except the difference is that you can watch it whenever you want, provided it's actually still on the service and doesn't get yanked. And you get these channels a la carte, rather than getting a bunch of channels.

TV networks and movie theaters are getting killed by streaming services, so it makes sense for them to try and strangle new forms of media in the crib. Which sucks.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

We'll all of that was in the episode they didn't air so you can't really blame people for not basing their impressions on it. And the people sentencing her to prison were depicted as a faceless shadowy bad guys. And everybody knows she'll very shortly be given a command, she's the main character. She's going to end up in the right.

BTW that lighting choice was really bizarre for the context of the scene.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Anyone else think the albino Klingon is a bit offensive on a couple of levels?

Number one, reinforcing long held stereotypes about albinos being villains.

Number two, taking a race that traditionally is usually portrayed by POCs and making their leader a white dude.

I'm going to note that albino POC aren't white, though. Like... literally white but not white.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd love something like steam but for TV shows. You just buy the season or even per-episode and they come out exactly the same time as everywhere else, not days or weeks later. And you can always watch them any time you want, never taken away. I wouldn't just torrent poo poo if I could EASILY and permanently just buy shows/episodes without any bullshit subscription.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PetraCore posted:

I'm going to note that albino POC aren't white, though. Like... literally white but not white.
Point taken but neither are Klingons.

I remember TVGuide Pre-Voyager promotions saying that Tuvok was the first African-American Vulcan and it was like... no.......... Tim Russ may be the first African-American to play a Vulcan, but....

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

On the chest of a barmaid in Sale, were tattooed the prices of ale. And on her behind for the sake of the blind, was the same information in braille.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'm skeptical. I don't think she'll be redeemed by way of amends. I think she'll be redeemed by Starfleet deciding she was right. I'm not subscribing to a $6 a month service to find out.

record number of sign ups for all access will be followed by a record number of cancellations and then CBS will change how it distributes this series.

the gently caress else does CBS have that is even good?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The summary is Netflix was too good to last. Now everyone's stealing their idea while simultaneously eroding half of what made it so attractive to begin with. Unfortunately, the only way for Netflix to survive is to basically do the same thing.

Basically we're entering the dark and gritty era of our streaming TV utopia

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I'd love something like steam but for TV shows. You just buy the season or even per-episode and they come out exactly the same time as everywhere else, not days or weeks later. And you can always watch them any time you want, never taken away. I wouldn't just torrent poo poo if I could EASILY and permanently just buy shows/episodes without any bullshit subscription.

I'm pretty sure this was my exact experience buying season 2 of The Expanse on Amazon when it was airing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Worf is a Russo-American Klingon

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

BTW that lighting choice was really bizarre for the context of the scene.

Maybe. I think it showed how she felt about her life and what the state of things are. She lost her home and family and career and started a war. She is consumed by guilt, regret, anger, and sadness. The lighting reflected her mood and complimented her dialogue in the scene.

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

On the chest of a barmaid in Sale, were tattooed the prices of ale. And on her behind for the sake of the blind, was the same information in braille.

Thom12255 posted:

Maybe. I think it showed how she felt about her life and what the state of things are. She lost her home and family and career and started a war. She is consumed by guilt, regret, anger, and sadness. The lighting reflected her mood and complimented her dialogue in the scene.

i think it was a nod to Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure when they meet the future Time Council.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Thom12255 posted:

I feel like it was at odds with how I felt about her. It's trying to put me in her shoes and make me feel like scary dark faceless people are crushing her dreams without a friend in the world, but I don't give a poo poo about how hurt she feels because she has been a real rear end and people died. I would have preferred a less perfunctory court martial scene.

This isn't completely related but I feel like this show chose an odd point at which to start. As an introduction to the character of Burnham, I don't think these plots are good, they make her seem unstable, dangerous, at best deeply morally confused. I get why they wanted to kick off with big fight and yells, as well as chronological beginning of the plot, but I wonder if this kind of content wouldn't have been better served by flashback after a less alarming introduction to the character. Oh well.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Baronjutter posted:

Isn't that what iTunes is?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

re: the skin coloration, it is pretty cool that Trek has seemed consistent that if an alien race has humanish skin tones (Vulcans and Klingons vs. like, Andorians and Bolians) they have ethnic diversity the same way humans do. Tuvok isn't some kind of Black Vulcan from Vathlo Island, he's just a Vulcan. Quite probably nobody gives a poo poo (or if they do it's over which Surak teaching he prioritizes; I'm sure Vulcans have some kind of bullshit sectarianism internally even if it's subdued.)

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I think from a long-term character arc perspective, I kind of see where they're going with Burnham and it will probably be fine.

From the perspective of using the first episode as a hook for All Access, very weird. But if the show is weird and controversial and it keeps getting clicks and eyeballs because people are mad, maybe that's better than some other things they could have done.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Baronjutter posted:

Amazon?

I'm enjoying this dumb space show on Netflix. We'll see.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Baronjutter posted:

Amazon Video, iTunes, Google Play, Vudu. Pick your poison. An HD season is usually $20-$35.

The vast majority of shows can be bought this way as they are airing. Usually, its day after availability (I'm assuming so they don't have to manage a ton of different air times across providers.)

The only shows that can't be bought this way are ones that come from subscription services like HBO, Showtime, Starz, and now All-Access. They end up not going on sale until about the same time as the physical release.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I watched 5 minutes of the new show and closed the window. I'm not going to enjoy this.

Two characters walking through a desert exchanging as-you-know's about some species I don't care about. gently caress off.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Instant Sunrise posted:

Star Trek is the show that aired a mealy-mouthed pro-Johnson episode about about a not-Vietnam allegory 3 days into the Tet Offensive.

Yeah, how dare they not realize poo poo was about to go down when they filmed the episode the previous October?

edit: shamefully beaten

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

I watched 5 minutes of the new show and closed the window. I'm not going to enjoy this.

Two characters walking through a desert exchanging as-you-know's about some species I don't care about. gently caress off.

Lol that was literally only the first five minutes so they could have a cool starship reveal but whatever, thanks for posting

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I just finished watching both episodes...

I guess I've seen worse pilots, but nothing I watched makes me at all interested in keeping up with STD week to week.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Shibawanko posted:

Star Trek might not be for you.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Shibawanko posted:

Same, I nearly turned it off before the intro because the dialog was so bad. My wife wanted to peace out a few lines in. Show is super badly written with terrible characters. Great production values though. I don't give a gently caress that the look and tone is different, just maybe write some likable characters with some believable dialog.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Wait did I miss something in the 2nd episode?

The Captain and Burnham beam over to the Klingon ship. The plan was to disable it and then capture T'Kuvma alive because then he isn't a martyr. Right? So first the beam a bomb on board that blows the spine of the ship apart. Guess they're lucky that didn't kill him accidentally. They then beam on board- phasers set to stun. They stun 3-4 Klingons without issue, then they get in to a fist-fight with T'Kuvma and the albino Klingon. Burnham fights off the albino and grabs a phaser just as T'K stabs the Captain. Burnham quickly switches the phaser to kill and fries T'K. At that point she doesn't know if the Captain is dead, and we saw 2 minutes beforehand that stun knocked out Klingons instantly. So she just opted to totally change the plan because of revenge- even though she didn't know if the captain was dead?

Edit

and 'stun him and capture him' was Burnham's plan. That was her idea as opposed to blowing up the funeral ship because they didn't want to make T'Kuvma a martyr. IT WAS HER IDEA, that she decided to completely reverse.

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 25, 2017

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I stopped watching during the CBS logo. Who the gently caress has time for that bullshit? All trash, I say. Not my Trek.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Same, I nearly turned it off before the intro because the dialog was so bad. My wife wanted to peace out a few lines in. Show is super badly written with terrible characters. Great production values though. I don't give a gently caress that the look and tone is different, just maybe write some likable characters with some believable dialog.

"It's hard to imagine you served under me for seven years!"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Shibawanko posted:

The pilots not too bad overall with the 'as you knows' after the first few minutes. "Your parents were killed by Klingons" got a laugh out of me though.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

The Captain and Burnham beam over to the Klingon ship. The plan was to disable it and then capture T'Kuvma alive because then he isn't a martyr. Right? So first the beam a bomb on board that blows the spine of the ship apart. Guess they're lucky that didn't kill him accidentally. They then beam on board- phasers set to stun. They stun 3-4 Klingons without issue, then they get in to a fist-fight with T'Kuvma and the albino Klingon. Burnham fights off the albino and grabs a phaser just as T'K stabs the Captain. Burnham quickly switches the phaser to kill and fries T'K. At that point she doesn't know if the Captain is dead, and we saw 2 minutes beforehand that stun knocked out Klingons instantly. So she just opted to totally change the plan because of revenge- even though she didn't know if the captain was dead?

She's pretty flawed and sucky ain't she. Means we get character development in the show instead of everyone staying the same.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

jng2058 posted:

Well, in other news, MovieBob liked it. I'm generally in sync with his reviews, so that's something.

He's reviewing episodes 1-3, with some spoilers to be had so if you're looking to avoid them, steer clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndKTnDwBIG8

I think most of MovieBob's impressions have to come from whatever is in the 3rd episode, where he assumes that the show will follow more what it does there than what it did in the premier. That was kinda the feeling I got as well from the preview, but it's still just not clear where the show is gonna end up.

Pakled posted:

I liked Saru, and the whole "my species was bred to do one thing... sense the coming of death" wasn't groan-worthy at all in context like I thought it was going to be. I want to learn more about him and his species.

I was surprised by this too. I still think the actual death-sense power sounds dumb as hell, but in the context of the episode I think they sold it pretty well and made me curious about where it'll go (if it goes anywhere).

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Thom12255 posted:

She's pretty flawed and sucky ain't she. Means we get character development in the show instead of everyone staying the same.

Yeah good point no other character in Star Trek's ever developed before.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Yes, you missed the part where the show's hyper-aggressive pacing is meant to distract from the nonsensical writing.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hmm after watching the second episode I'm not sure a show about bad people fighting a bad war for no reason is what I want or the world needs right now.

I'll keep watching with an open mind but... Hmm.

E: Also I was surprised to see Bryan Fuller's name so prominently splashed over the opening credits since it seems like barely any of his vision ended up in the show itself. Given that he hasn't Tweeted about it I'm guessing he's not massively thrilled about how it all went down.

stev fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 25, 2017

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Thom12255 posted:

She lost her home and family and

she won't be comin back

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Steve2911 posted:

Hmm after watching the second episode I'm not sure a show about bad people fighting a bad war for no reason is what I want or the world needs right now.

I'll keep watching with an open mind but... Hmm.

E: Also I was surprised to see Bryan Fuller's name so prominently splashed over the opening credits since it seems like barely any of his vision ended up in the show itself. Given that he hasn't Tweeted about it I'm guessing he's not massively thrilled about how it all went down.

I was more surprised to see Menosky's name in there since I've heard nothing about his involvement and these episodes, at least, were absolutely nothing like his writing.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Why is Burnham raised by Vulcans? Doesn't she have an Aunt or an Uncle or a Grandparent or something?

Why would humans think "this kid saw her family and colony merked by Klingons, probably best to leave her to be raised by a bunch of green blooded pointy eared freaks that never have sex except once every 7 years and if they don't they commit murder"?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Does the fact that Sisko has a sister come up again at all after the throwaway line in Homefront? You'd think she'd be mentioned in the season seven opening at least.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Welp, back from watching the first two eps.

Boyfriend and I both agree, this is a terrible mess. The constant Dutch angles need to stop. Everyone is stupid and apparently being a dick to eachother is how they all communicate. The 'why is her phaser now on kill' thing a few posts up bothered me too.

My theory is that this is actually the end of the series, and all the following episodes are a big flashback that leads up to this.

I want to know more about the Daft Punk robot crew member.

Anyone else spot the Best of Both Worlds reference?

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

skasion posted:

I was more surprised to see Menosky's name in there since I've heard nothing about his involvement and these episodes, at least, were absolutely nothing like his writing.

I was not surprised to see the dozens of various kinds of Producer credits!