Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Tunicate posted:

Starfleet claimed a klingon holy site as part of their territory, trespassed upon it, then killed the high priest with his own ceremonial weapon.

It's a spaceship, not a site.

No matter who likes it or not, Trekkie or not, the Klingons were poorly done. Skin should look like skin and a person should be able to speak their own language. And that was the scene they chose to make the first impression. It was a poor choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

marktheando posted:

It was cool that the guys racial power of sensing death was actually just being a huge coward.

that line wasn't meant to be "i can literally sense death", it was just him saying "my people used to be mice on a planet full of eagles, we're very good at knowing when badtimes are imminent"

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

wormil posted:

It's a spaceship, not a site.

No matter who likes it or not, Trekkie or not, the Klingons were poorly done. Skin should look like skin and a person should be able to speak their own language. And that was the scene they chose to make the first impression. It was a poor choice.

I liked the klingons new look. Also lol at complaining about their skin not looking real in a star trek show.

Atreiden fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 25, 2017

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Tunicate posted:

Starfleet claimed a klingon holy site as part of their territory, trespassed upon it, then killed the high priest with his own ceremonial weapon.

Do we know that? I kind of assumed dude brought the beacon to Starfleet territory in/with his ship when he decided to put on his show for the great houses.

Speaking of Sarek, the phone-a-friend does seem silly, especially with them showing off two different versions of it. Instead of the interstellar telepathy, they could've made that vision of Sarek a representation of the aftereffects of their mind meld. It'd give Michael an audience-friendly way to work out her thoughts without making it just calling dad for help.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Tunicate posted:

Yeah the klingons are pretty clearly in the right throughout the entire episode.

Wonder if anyone's translated the Fourteen Words into klingon yet?

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Atreiden posted:

I liked the klingons new look. Also lol at complaining about their skin not looking real in a star trek show.

:same:

They look fine, they sound fine, the show is p good star trek.

Comparing it to other first episodes of the various series, it holds its own and then some.

The sound design is magnificent. Doors whoosh, phase cannons phase and electrical sparklies sizzle.

pew pew fuckers!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
The only time this felt like Star Trek to me was when she was travelling to and exploring the object before landing on it like a dumbass.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Just swap the licences with Orville and it'll be fine. McFarlane will do Trek, and these idiots can go fully self-contained.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
I can't believe how bad this show is and doubly can't believe they'd actually use it to try and sell their streaming service. Surely at some point you look at what you have and realize it's time to start over or just abandon the idea altogether?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
who was the woman (?) with the toaster for a head. my friend and I have been trying to figure this out all day. she gets taken to the med bay at the start of the battle in episode 2

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Ok so the black greasepaint makeup on the Klingons is ugh, but I def want to see that Klingon lady with the face ornamentation up close sometime soon.

SHOW ME UR WEIRD ALIEN BODYMODS

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

HannibalBarca posted:

who was the woman (?) with the toaster for a head. my friend and I have been trying to figure this out all day. she gets taken to the med bay at the start of the battle in episode 2

Some set visit report at one point was talking about a robot character called Airiam who is Lorca's aide or something. If so it's a little odd that there's one on Shenzhou too. Maybe Lorca is just headhunting the former Shenzhou crew, though why he'd want them is beyond me. Alternatively, it could be they're standard issue.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

skasion posted:

Some set visit report at one point was talking about a robot character called Airiam who is Lorca's aide or something. If so it's a little odd that there's one on Shenzhou too. Maybe Lorca is just headhunting the former Shenzhou crew, though why he'd want them is beyond me. Alternatively, it could be they're standard issue.

pictures of Airiam make her look more like a person. this character literally just had a box for a head.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Did anyone make an honest good call in these episodes? Aside from the science officer that is. The captain allows an officer to risk their life for no reason when they should be waiting for backup, that same officer suggests landing on something that is emitting strange signals and might as well be a bomb or weapon, the Klingons all want to murder everyone including themselves and the Vulcans somehow decided that murdering people whenever they meet them is a good idea. Also that officer thinks knocking out their captain and trying to fool the crew into committing warcrimes is a good idea. Heck the crew is going along with it until the captain tells them no.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

evilmiera posted:

Did anyone make an honest good call in these episodes?

T'Kuvma's plan isn't terrible way of accomplishing his stated goals tbh

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

HannibalBarca posted:

pictures of Airiam make her look more like a person. this character literally just had a box for a head.

Lmao when the ship went to red alert, it hijacked her head to flash "RED ALERT" on the screen

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

evilmiera posted:

Did anyone make an honest good call in these episodes? Aside from the science officer that is. The captain allows an officer to risk their life for no reason when they should be waiting for backup, that same officer suggests landing on something that is emitting strange signals and might as well be a bomb or weapon, the Klingons all want to murder everyone including themselves and the Vulcans somehow decided that murdering people whenever they meet them is a good idea. Also that officer thinks knocking out their captain and trying to fool the crew into committing warcrimes is a good idea. Heck the crew is going along with it until the captain tells them no.

Nope, zero good calls in the whole show other than lanky dude wanting to be cautious and being racially mocked for it. It's full JJ trek where apparently starfleet academy doesn't really train or screen anyone. Untreated PTSD and insubordinate? Yeah we'll make you command!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Serella posted:

Ok so the black greasepaint makeup on the Klingons is ugh, ...

Is Klingons doing blackface considered racist? I wonder if they mime.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Over Easy posted:

:same:

Comparing it to other first episodes of the various series, it holds its own and then some.

The sound design is magnificent. Doors whoosh, phase cannons phase and electrical sparklies sizzle.

pew pew fuckers!

The phase cannons sounded like farts

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I would be happy if we didn't see anything from the Klingon POV for the rest of the season because those scenes were such an interminable slog. If the war had to be a catalyst for the plot, so be it. But I have zero interest in exploring that conflict. They didn't sell me that it was anything other than a bog standard religious zealot plot.

My biggest issue with this pilot is that I still really don't know what to expect from the rest of the season beside a vague redemption arc (even with the somewhat spoilerific upcoming season trailer.). They didn't give me much reason to look forward to next week's episode.

Would I prefer that the production design tried a bit harder to bridge the gap to TOS,? Yup. Is it something that's make or break for me? Absolutely not. I recognize that they have to make it look relevant for today's audiences, but I still feel they spent way too much effort to make evening a bit too busy visually.

More than anything though is I want it to be more than a generic sci-fi outing with start trek set dressing. So far, it's not doing anything good there, but maybe it will develop.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
I legit enjoyed it. Of course, I massively preferred DS9 over TNG so anything that leads to explosions instead of polite discourse always gets my vote.

evilmiera posted:

the Vulcans somehow decided that murdering people whenever they meet them is a good idea

To be fair, when the Vulcans met the Klingons they were the Enterprise-era Vulcans, so they would believe that murder is the best solution.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

evilmiera posted:

The captain allows an officer to risk their life for no reason when they should be waiting for backup,

evilmiera posted:

that same officer suggests landing on something that is emitting strange signals and might as well be a bomb or weapon,

evilmiera posted:

the Klingons all want to murder everyone including themselves

it's Star Trek alright

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
There's no reason to believe that site is and always has been a Klingon holy site. I doubt that thing, whatever it is since it gets immediately forgotten about, has been in such a volatile and chaotic system for very long. Even if for some reason it has been, the Klingon's didn't even know, how could the federation be expected to?

The Klingons:
Baited a trap
Ignored several requests for dialog
Attacked first
Entered a cease fire in bad faith
Surprise attacked the enemy flagship under a flag of truce.

They're led by a proudly self proclaimed hyper nationalist who is obsessed with racial purity.

Holy gently caress, like how much of a self flagellating, White Guilt Federation Guilt ridden piece of poo poo do you have to be to still insist the Klingons were in the right?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

As someone who doesn't know much about Star Trek, why were the Klingons so down on the Andorians? Like, that one Klingon guy goes off on rant about the Federation being comprised of Humans, Vulcans, Tellurians...and filthy Andorians," as if to say the first three are ok but Andorians? loving Andorians? gently caress those guys.

Good pilot, I really enjoyed it. Highlights were the prettiness of the visuals, the lead actress, and the science officer guy's caution being played for laughs until it gets gradually more obvious that he's right and there is something off about the whole setup.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

counterfeitsaint posted:

There's no reason to believe that site is and always has been a Klingon holy site. I doubt that thing, whatever it is since it gets immediately forgotten about, has been in such a volatile and chaotic system for very long. Even if for some reason it has been, the Klingon's didn't even know, how could the federation be expected to?

The Klingons:
Baited a trap
Ignored several requests for dialog
Attacked first
Entered a cease fire in bad faith
Surprise attacked the enemy flagship under a flag of truce.

They're led by a proudly self proclaimed hyper nationalist who is obsessed with racial purity.

Holy gently caress, like how much of a self flagellating, White Guilt Federation Guilt ridden piece of poo poo do you have to be to still insist the Klingons were in the right?

Not racial purity - cultural. Klingons would be racially Klingons if they were in the Federation but they'd be entirely different people. He liked Albino Klingon dude even with his undesired racial stigma.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Beefeater1980 posted:

Good pilot, I really enjoyed it. Highlights were the prettiness of the visuals, the lead actress, and the science officer guy's caution being played for laughs until it gets gradually more obvious that he's right and there is something off about the whole setup.

He's also the only likable character still alive. I want him to take command.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

EvilHawk posted:

Just saw both eps, having never seen a Star Trek series in full (I think I caught a few eps of TNG and a season or two of Enterprise). I have seen (and liked) both films, so I understand Trekkies will probably hate me.

I liked it. It was interesting enough to keep me entertained (even through the overly lengthy Klingon scenes), deep enough to keep me wanting to know more, but not so overly full of call backs and fan service that it turned me off. It's clearly designed for the "casual" fan in mind. I was a bit worried when Michael tried to mutiny. It seemed really close to how Kirk takes power in the 2009 film, but they swerved away from it quite well and the resolution was pretty clear. I did also like how morally grey the two sides were. The Klingons clearly baited the Federation, but the Federation couldn't help but interfere. Both sides had clear motivations (unity and honour vs defence of territory and revenge). Both sides committed war crimes. Both sides paid for their sins. From what I have seen the Federation has always seemed to be this morally pure master race that either assimilated or destroyed the savage aliens. I'd like them to explore this more (though, I'm sure this has been shown elsewhere in the canon).

I don't know enough about the canon to talk (or care) about it, all I know is that it was pretty, interesting sci fi which has been sorely lacking recently. I reckon the average viewer will enjoy it.

You're right. I hate you.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

EvilHawk posted:

I was a bit worried when Michael tried to mutiny. It seemed really close to how Kirk takes power in the 2009 film, but they swerved away from it quite well

And the show opens with the captain and science officer trying to save some random people who are about to go extinct from some natural phenomenon so they try to help without violating the prime directive even though they shouldn't

And the bad guys have coffins with corpses in them that they keep on their ship

And the (not) vulcan has a scene where they're in school and its really hard

And there's huge lens flares

Its really like somebody was going down a list checking off everything the Abrams films did. Yes, we did this too, we're covered.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

Trekkies are the most delusional, entitled, insufferable, grognards of the highest grognardiest order, which is made ever so apparent with the opinions in this thread. It was a decent and interesting episode considering it was the first of the loving series. The show doesn't owe you poo poo and is never going to pander to your every tiny Asperger detail. However, the one thing I agree with is that having it be on CBS's stupid streaming service is massively dumb. I secretly hope it leads to it being cancelled and the franchise never being touched again, because the neckbeards certainly don't deserve it.

The show doesn't owe me poo poo but the show IS poo poo. And if its poo poo, I'm just going to watch all of the tons of other SciFi shows that I have available. I'd rather watch TNG re-runs than STD, but I've also got Orville and Expanse and other poo poo.

This thing is gonna crash and burn hard.

Leyburn posted:

Someone sack the loving director. Battlefield Earth all over again.

gently caress, that's what the klingons look like!

Although even as terrible as Battlefield Earth was, you could still catch some of John Travolta's acting coming out from under the makeup (even if it was hammy). In this the Klingons may as well be CG, they have no human qualities at all.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Thom12255 posted:

Not racial purity - cultural. Klingons would be racially Klingons if they were in the Federation but they'd be entirely different people. He liked Albino Klingon dude even with his undesired racial stigma.

Okay, fair enough I guess. Doesn't justify their actions or make their motivations not reprehensible though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Beefeater1980 posted:

As someone who doesn't know much about Star Trek, why were the Klingons so down on the Andorians? Like, that one Klingon guy goes off on rant about the Federation being comprised of Humans, Vulcans, Tellurians...and filthy Andorians," as if to say the first three are ok but Andorians? loving Andorians? gently caress those guys.

Andorians are assholes. In Enterprise they were kind of clannish honor bound violent assholes, which made it amusing to me that Klingons wouldn't like them: too close for comfort maybe. I don't know if the line is supposed to go any deeper than that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DeafNote posted:

dont know why its called Discovery yet either

Unbelievable misnomer. Discovery sounds so much like we're getting classic Roddenberry Trek, and then NOPE, bait and switch, this is Star Trek: COLD WAR OF THRONES

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Over Easy posted:

How can you possibly have such a low bar of quality?
I mean if you think this you must be able to turn on the TV to literally any channel and be completely floored. Two and a half men? Hilarious! Big Bang Theory? Inspired!

Varam posted:

I can't believe how bad this show is and doubly can't believe they'd actually use it to try and sell their streaming service. Surely at some point you look at what you have and realize it's time to start over or just abandon the idea altogether?

They did kinda try to re-polish the series, it got delayed and they re-CG'd it "to bring it up to the expectations of modern Star Trek"

My guess was after spending the money to "fix" it they had to push it out the door to justify the cost.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 26, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Frankly what the promotional material has shown of the Discovery itself makes it seem like we're talking less about Roddenberry styled discovery and more like some kind of Philadelphia experiment poo poo or something. Like they are trying to build a secret weapon and poo poo goes wrong. I really hope that isn't the case but that's just the vibe I'm getting.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Beefeater1980 posted:

I haven't seen much TOS, so I only know Andorians from Enterprise. In that period they're probably the most militaristic of the Federation's four founding species, so it might just be a rivalry thing. I don't really recall anything about Andorian culture that would be super offensive to Klingons.

Really, they've probably got something to dislike about all of the four. Andorians might read as sort of a warped mirror of some parts of Klingon culture. Tellarites, if I recall correctly, are sort of soft merchant types. Humans are an evangelical hegemonizing swarm. Dispassionate Vulcans probably seem almost like robots to Klingons.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
If Andorians disparagingly call humans pink skins, I wonder what sort of name they have for Klingons? Probably the source of the animosity.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

skasion posted:

Frankly what the promotional material has shown of the Discovery itself makes it seem like we're talking less about Roddenberry styled discovery and more like some kind of Philadelphia experiment poo poo or something. Like they are trying to build a secret weapon and poo poo goes wrong. I really hope that isn't the case but that's just the vibe I'm getting.

I sort of agree. I honestly
Have no idea where the hell they go from here. Sure the preview for the season shows her as a redemption arc but...where the gently caress does the story go from here? You start a intergalactic war and idk in 2 episodes a giant green hand in space? Like, how do you have a random one off monster of the week style episode or do they just keep upping the ante with the war talk? Or is doscovery kinda Klingon looking cause this captain agrees with her and they're gonna go try to bomb Kronos or some poo poo as a undercover ship

Ittl probably be the section 31 show everyone always said they wanted lmao

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Mokotow posted:

Just swap the licences with Orville and it'll be fine. McFarlane will do Trek, and these idiots can go fully self-contained.

This show is a hundred times more Trek than The Orville. Starfleet's utopian values and mission is actually a central part of the plot of these two episodes, whereas so far in the Orville, for all we know "The Union" is a fascist dictatorship.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

How can you possibly have such a low bar of quality?
I mean if you think this you must be able to turn on the TV to literally any channel and be completely floored. Two and a half men? Hilarious! Big Bang Theory? Inspired!

You like The Orville. That poo poo is dreadful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

skasion posted:

I would be very careful reading much into the promo stuff. The promo trailers leading up to the premiere all acted like T'Kuvma was going to be a major antagonist and they offed him quick.