Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DaveKap posted:

I went back and read some of the longer posts in here analyzing scene compositions, cinematography, and how progressive this show actually is. I gotta say, I never, ever suspected that a Seth MacFarlane production would get as much intellectual praise and analysis as this. How many episodes did critics get a lead on? I'm curious at which point the series goes from pre-reviewed to new-to-everyone.

This week, critics got screeners of the first three episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Replace MacFarlane with Jeffrey Combs

This works for a hell of a lot more than just The Orville.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.

DaveKap posted:

I never, ever suspected that a Seth MacFarlane production would get as much intellectual praise and analysis as this.

MacFarlane was an executive producer on Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey, and was key to getting the series shown on Fox during prime-time.

The Orville shares a number of production staff with Cosmos.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The show is definitely low-brow in its humor but it doesn't feel FamilyGuy-ish really in any way.

Its more like Office Space... in space.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

lelandjs posted:

I have a crackpot theory (based on the apparently frequent nighttime urination and concern about colon health) that Mercer has cancer and will die before the end of this season, leaving MacFarlane free to abandon the series focus on the writing.

Do you remember the redwood seeds? And how they will grow in anything? And how his dad mentions things getting stuck in the folds of his intestines? And how he was totally encouraged to eat said redwood seeds? Yeah, he has sprouted a redwood.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Measly Twerp posted:

Do you remember the redwood seeds? And how they will grow in anything? And how his dad mentions things getting stuck in the folds of his intestines? And how he was totally encouraged to eat said redwood seeds? Yeah, he has sprouted a redwood.

lol

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Best fan theory of the year.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm on board with that.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I could see that being a recurring gag for a few episodes where you just see him leaving sick bay and someone says something to the effect of "another redwood?"

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet and it's one of those fedex arrows if you're not looking for it but the recurring gag where supposedly secret information gets around to the entire crew from one scene to the next gets me every time.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Measly Twerp posted:

:worship:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Measly Twerp posted:

I would honestly love if this is the case and they continue to plant hints through the season.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Mr. Fowl posted:

plant hints

:chanpop:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Gonz posted:

FoxNOW OnDemand. The website or the app.

Caphi posted:

I've been using Hulu.

8one6 posted:

It's also available on Amazon's season pass thing.

So that's like 3 possible streaming services in addition to being broadcast on-air.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

All of the Orville is available on Fox on Demand I believe.

LMAO, this show is clowning on Discovery in more ways than one.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

It is a bit strange, since Discovery can be found on European Netflix apparently. Might be they're just pushing it on their own service to get a bigger slice of the US market while using the international services to get actual profits.

Having just seen Discovery, it might be best if they keep it hidden until the good episodes release.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

evilmiera posted:

It is a bit strange, since Discovery can be found on European Netflix apparently. Might be they're just pushing it on their own service to get a bigger slice of the US market while using the international services to get actual profits.

Having just seen Discovery, it might be best if they keep it hidden until the good episodes release.

Discovery was profitable last year when they negotiated the netflix deal. It was like several hundred million profitable as per the COO of CBS. This CBS app poo poo is just greed.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Ramadu posted:

Discovery was profitable last year when they negotiated the netflix deal. It was like several hundred million profitable as per the COO of CBS. This CBS app poo poo is just greed.

It's not about making more money off STD specifically; it's about getting subscribers to their digital platform.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

evilmiera posted:

"Might be."

It's on Netflix everywhere else but the U.S.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Astroman posted:

It's not about making more money off STD specifically; it's about getting subscribers to their digital platform.

which is a great way to encourage both the show and the platform to fail

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They've made enough money already they'll almost certainly make a second season. What will kill it is if they get greedy and try to charge the international streaming services more for it, or expand all access to other territories.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Al Borland Corp. posted:

They've made enough money already they'll almost certainly make a second season. What will kill it is if they get greedy and try to charge the international streaming services more for it, or expand all access to other territories.

Uh.

quote:

CBS will also launch "CBS All Access" in Australia, its subscription video on demand service, it announced.

Yeah, I think I'll be just fine with The Captain Treebutt Show.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Why is she called Michael? I think I missed something crucial.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Combat Pretzel posted:

Bryan Fuller has a habit of calling his female characters by traditionally male names.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

All of Bryan Fuller's strong female characters have men's names so you know they're strong. Chuck, for example, on Pushing Daisies.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
^^^
I don't know anything about Bryan Fuller

Combat Pretzel posted:

Historically, boy names tend to become girl names.

Usually doesn't go the other way, for some reason.

Think Ashley or Beverly.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I knew a girl named Michael, apparently she was named after some female singer in the 80s? And since everyone in Trek is obsessed with the 20th century, there you go.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I haven't read the thread but the show is pretty decent. It basically has the TNG aesthetic mixed with modern day values, and some humor thrown in.

I don't like the uniforms though because they look awkward and uncomfortable.

edit: poo poo, this wasn't the first episode? drat.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 26, 2017

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Lightning Lord posted:

I love Star Trek and I've heard a lot of good things about this show. But I'm hesitant. I like humor in my sci-fi TV, so that's not the issue. I mean, Star Trek was often funny. But I think everything else Seth MacFarlane has done is shrill, wretched poo poo, including American Dad. I'm going to watch this anyway when I get a chance, but I just want to know how prevalent or reined in are the MacFarlane-isms exactly? I'm not going to stop watching if he talks in a funny Peter Griffin voice or some poo poo, I just want to know what's up, that's all.

Not sure if I said it here or in one of the many debates on this show compared to the new Star Trek show on my Facebook, but I really haven't liked most of MacFarlane's work. I can't stand Family Guy or the various spin offs, or American Dad. I did laugh at his Oscars thing mostly from how pissed off people were over it. So, even with the trailers for The Orville looking different from his usual schtick, I was still cautious. But so far I'm really enjoying the show. I like that it's not grimdark, but then I'm so sick and tired of grimdark especially when depicting the future that if I see a trailer's grimdark, I'm not going to tune in.

I loved TOS and DS9 (except for the mirror universe episodes), wasn't that crazy about TNG, hated VOY, and still think ENT was so much wasted potential, and with that said, I'm enjoying the hell out of The Orville. That so many of my hardcore Trek friends are liking the show while forcing themselves to sing the praises of Discovery is just an added bonus.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Combat Pretzel posted:

My second grade teacher was a lady named Michael Smith. Parents are weird

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

We will later find out her name is Mitchell...

Gary Mitchell.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
Does anybody seriously think that The Orville is clowning on Discovery, or are they that just salty about the CBS All Access situation? Nothing about what I've heard about this show is going to make me like it.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The Orville is a nostalgic, pleasant surprise whereas Discovery is (so far) dour and joyless, but I don't think if you dislike one you'll automatically be into the other.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also the Orville is viewable on tons of different services, so it's much more accessible. I would not be surprised if it pulls better numbers.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Snak posted:

Also the Orville is viewable on tons of different services, so it's much more accessible. I would not be surprised if it pulls better numbers.

How many of those are in the UK? Netflix has Discovery available in the UK from the get-go.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Spark That Bled posted:

Does anybody seriously think that The Orville is clowning on Discovery, or are they that just salty about the CBS All Access situation? Nothing about what I've heard about this show is going to make me like it.

Discovery seems to be going down the route of the post-9/11 thriller, about characters having to make gritty, unpleasant choices in order to protect their way of life, because we can't afford to be soft in the face of evil, which is just not the philosophy I want Star Trek to espouse and I don't think is a culturally relevant message in 2017. The Orville seems to get the idealism and progressivism of Star Trek better than Discovery does. It's not perfect, obviously, but I'm enjoying it more than Discovery.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Pakled posted:

The Orville seems to get the idealism and progressivism of Star Trek better than Discovery does. It's not perfect, obviously, but I'm enjoying it more than Discovery.

I've been reading up on this show, and I don't see anything progressive about it. I don't know how else to break it to you.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

This is a better show than it had every right to be, I hope it gets renewed.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Spark That Bled posted:

I've been reading up on this show, and I don't see anything progressive about it. I don't know how else to break it to you.

Show us on the doll where the Family Guy touched you

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Spark That Bled posted:

The Orville is a fun show with realistic characters. It scratches an itch for fun star trek. Discovery it's trying to be some tryhard serious business big deal. It's ok, bit don't see how they are going to have classic star trek science fiction episodes with the. Klingon war they are heading into.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Spark That Bled posted:

I haven't watched the show. But. I've read about it. If you watched it and you liked it well sorry, you're wrong. Them's the breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Spark That Bled posted:

Spark That Bled posted:

:goonsay:

When discussing a television show, it typically helps to turn the television on first.

Unlike Discovery which can't be watched on television. :rimshot: