Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Sara
Claire
Sharon
Crow
Olivert
View Results

• Locked thread
Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
The only NG+ only quests you encounter are in Cold Steel 2. (a bonus boss and the black records sidequest)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Billzasilver posted:

I guess I'm asking for CS1 specifically, but where can I find details about NG+ only quests in all the games?

of the english releases only cs2 has ng+ exclusive questlines and bosses. CS1 has one added scene near the end of the game I think but even that is extremely minor and just serves to reveal a thing the very end reveals anyway a bit sooner.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Billzasilver posted:

I guess I'm asking for CS1 specifically, but where can I find details about NG+ only quests in all the games?

Only CS2 has any NG+-only quests.

There are five Black Records to find throughout the game on NG+.

Volume 2 is for sale at Cornette's General Goods in Celdic Grand Market, in the first part of Act 1.
Volume 3 is in the Bareahard Underground Waterway in the third part of Act 1. You have to complete Sister Tatiana's quest and then go back to the spot where you fought the Abyss Drome.
Volume 1 is in the Nord Highlands Ancient Quarry in the first part of Act 2. Recruit Clara and then go back to where you fought Ginosha-Zanak.
Volume 4 is in the third part of Act 2. Complete the optional quest Gone Air and talk to Norton once you're back in Roer Airport.
Volume 5 is in Lohengrin Castle in the fourth part of Act 2, during the optional quest Mist Opportunity. It's sitting in the southwest corner of the entrance hall.

Give all five to Instructor Thomas before you go to Karel Imperial Villa in the finale. Talk to him again on the first day of the epilogue to get the fully-decoded versions. Talk to him AGAIN on the Thors roof after you've unlocked the really real final dungeon.

Apart from all that, there's also an extra-tough optional boss in Ymir Valley. It unlocks after you talk to Rean's parents in the finale.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 26, 2017

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Great to know, thank you!

Zaggitz posted:

of the english releases only cs2 has ng+ exclusive questlines and bosses. CS1 has one added scene near the end of the game I think but even that is extremely minor and just serves to reveal a thing the very end reveals anyway a bit sooner.

Whats this now? Or at least, what chapter is it in?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Billzasilver posted:

Whats this now? Or at least, what chapter is it in?

It's in Chapter 7. On NG+, if you take Emma to go pick up the band costumes in Heimdallr, MistyVita has an extra line or two after you leave.

It's nothing special--it just confirms what you already saw in the ending on your first run.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Just checking: is the Falcom thread in CS3 spoilers mode now?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Kinda. There's been some spoilers tagged (and some inlined images inside spoiler tags) but there hasn't been much beyond the prologue.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Not yet.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Forgot to mention that I asked because I'm way too eager for updates on localization but afraid of looking at anything because I'm trying to avoid knowing what happens in the last chapter of CS1.

Now I will turn into a spooky ghost

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I imagine that even if XSeed succeeded in securing the rights as we speak, they're not gonna announce as such until they're at least some ways into the localization process.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Forgot to mention that I asked because I'm way too eager for updates on localization but afraid of looking at anything because I'm trying to avoid knowing what happens in the last chapter of CS1.

Now I will turn into a spooky ghost

Don't worry, we'll mention it here. Just keep plugging away at CS1 and wait patiently for CS2.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Finished the game last night. I'm not sure what to think. I appreciate the combat improvements (way, way better than Sky for sure) but it's not why you play Kiseki games for. The story was underwhelming unfortunately. It really didn't help that they crammed all the Things Actually Happening in like the last 30 minutes of the script. The calendar didn't work at all - characters were discussing stuff that happened a month ago like it was yesterday. It was also monotonous - bit of school plot, dungeon, miniboss, bit of town plot, dungeon and a bigger boss, repeated six times.

The female character designs were awful. It seems that north of the Liberl line girls need to wear nothing but miniskirts and boots. Also one of the bosses has boobs bigger than her face. And of course there are witches and murderous maids (who are apparently into S&M stuff). It's like they tried to cram every lovely new-school anime cliche they possibly could.

I think I'll go through Sky games again, this time talking to ALL the npcs.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

Finished the game last night. I'm not sure what to think. I appreciate the combat improvements (way, way better than Sky for sure) but it's not why you play Kiseki games for. The story was underwhelming unfortunately. It really didn't help that they crammed all the Things Actually Happening in like the last 30 minutes of the script. The calendar didn't work at all - characters were discussing stuff that happened a month ago like it was yesterday. It was also monotonous - bit of school plot, dungeon, miniboss, bit of town plot, dungeon and a bigger boss, repeated six times.

The female character designs were awful. It seems that north of the Liberl line girls need to wear nothing but miniskirts and boots. Also one of the bosses has boobs bigger than her face. And of course there are witches and murderous maids (who are apparently into S&M stuff). It's like they tried to cram every lovely new-school anime cliche they possibly could.

Cold Steel 1 and 2 suffer from being one game originally that was split into two because of Vita limitations. It creates a situation that Cold Steel 1 ends just as things gets interesting and Cold Steel 2 has a lot of filler and padding to justify being a complete game when it's really the direct continuation of Cold Steel 1. What you've also spoilered is much more interesting and has a fairly huge payoff in Cold Steel 2 and 3 but if you've just played 1 then yeah of course it's going to seem dumb.

Having said that, the character designs barring Millium weren't too egregious to me? It's a Japanese style school uniform, it isn't something like Senran Kagura where everyone is wearing clothes far too small for their size. I wish I could say the same for Cold Steel 2's character designs, sadly. Especially Altina who looks way better in Cold Steel 3 than she does in 2 but, that's outside the scope of this thread I think.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Oct 22, 2017

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Wasn't Erebonia supposed to be Germany and that country Zin was from to be Japan-based?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't think any one country in Zemuria is necessarily meant to be a stand-in for a real world location (at least not to the extent that the ones in Ys are), but Calvard if anything sounds more like a USA where it's a "melting pot" of cultures with a Presidential-based democracy and such.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

Wasn't Erebonia supposed to be Germany and that country Zin was from to be Japan-based?

Erebonia is loosely based on Germany but is obviously very different. Just like Liberl is loosely based on Thailand, Crossbell is loosely based on Hong Kong and Calvard is loosely based on the USA but with heavy East Asian influences added to the mix. But just because Erebonia is very loosely based on Germany, don't assume there isn't a lot of Japanese-isms in the games.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Also, what did they use to pad out CS2? More fighting?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Terminally Bored posted:

That and some of the dungeons would be my guess.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Terminally Bored posted:

I'd argue that most of CS2 is the "real" plot of what CS1 was supposed to be about, but the last maybe 15% of the game definitely felt like unnecessary padding. Basically a couple of epilogue dungeons/bosses.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

My dude, are you poo poo-talking Laura’s stylistic/impractical heel boots? Also I feel like you’re just looking for reasons to gripe if Sharon using chain ropes to fight a gundam with is dumb but Renne with Hot Pink Giant Robo is A-OK, along with Brooding and Mysterious Super Handsome guy. And witches seem out there when poo poo like the Dominion exist, and Bleublanc/Luciola?

Idk, maybe it’s because Cold Steel got me into the games but it sort of seems like how people argue Fire Emblem was never anime when it was really just 90s/00’s anime. I kinda found Cold Steel fairly grounded in comparison to sky since the latter had a magic arc that literally makes dreams come true and a loving dragon

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

CS1 is my least favorite game in the series but CS2 rules and you should like it because it's way more Trails with a lot of political intrigue and the civil war is cool and good.

Sharon rules though you hella drool for not liking her immediately.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

I do drool. Hated Sharon in every scene she was in.

The civil war arc was good. Shame there was so little of it.

As for Sky sure, the 12 year old girl with a scythe and 3 PHDs was stupid too, but at least she wasn't wearing cyberlingerie.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the female character designs in cold steel, are, good

also please point out the female character in trails in the sky who doesnt wear a skirt and boots, because, surprise, they dont exist

edit: i guess ries is a nun but c'mon

Endorph fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Oct 22, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also sometimes ladies in real life have huge boobs, and i respect the ladies in real life that have huge boobs every day of my life

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I can only assume he/she is talking about Scarlet...which, I guess? She never took me out of the game in the same way as say that one woman from Valkyria Revolution did.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Terminally Bored posted:

The civil war arc was good. Shame there was so little of it.

That's because it's the entirety of the second game, dude!

CS2 is also way less rigidly structured and way more free form.

Also my personal biggest problem with CS1 is it's a game that feels terrified to engage with the world building and lore set up in the previous games in favor of being sort of a pseudo jumping on point for newcomers. Anything huge gets handwaved away or "I'll explain later!!" happens. CS2 rectifies this problem completely and is full of references to even some obscure backstory poo poo like the Salt Pale.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Combat boots is something I see the most complaints about in conversations with character designs on forums. But I see female designers use it all the time as well. Is there a good/bad combat boots? Or is it strictly a thing that makes that some people hate no matter what, like I do with with bad tops?

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Combat boots look cool and fashionable so they're good imo

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I was unaware of the anti-combat boot faction but they must now be destroyed imo

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

your mother wears combat boots :twisted:

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
my mom is hella trendy then

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Have they seriously only put the middle part of a trilogy on the store to play on Vita? That's really annoying.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Last Celebration posted:

My dude, are you poo poo-talking Laura’s stylistic/impractical heel boots? Also I feel like you’re just looking for reasons to gripe if Sharon using chain ropes to fight a gundam with is dumb but Renne with Hot Pink Giant Robo is A-OK, along with Brooding and Mysterious Super Handsome guy. And witches seem out there when poo poo like the Dominion exist, and Bleublanc/Luciola?

Idk, maybe it’s because Cold Steel got me into the games but it sort of seems like how people argue Fire Emblem was never anime when it was really just 90s/00’s anime. I kinda found Cold Steel fairly grounded in comparison to sky since the latter had a magic arc that literally makes dreams come true and a loving dragon

Just wait, we haven't seen Cold Steel's Sept-Terrion and guardian yet. Given it's supposed to be on the same overall level of power...

Endorph posted:

also please point out the female character in trails in the sky who doesnt wear a skirt and boots, because, surprise, they dont exist

edit: i guess ries is a nun but c'mon

I treat this about on the same level as if Sky took place centered around Jenis and then people complained about uniforms.

Also combat boots are great.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Endorph posted:

the female character designs in cold steel, are, good

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Everything that sucks about CS1 also sucks about going to school in real life

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Billzasilver posted:

Everything that sucks about CS1 also sucks about going to school in real life

My high school didn't have a dungeon.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Mine did but then they sealed it off because people were doing orbal drugs inside and banging around in the dark

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Death Priest posted:

My high school didn't have a dungeon.

My high school would have been way more fun if there'd been a dungeon crawling club.

I mean besides the D&D club.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Does this have massive numbers of hidden/missable quests like trails in the sky? I'm still on the field trip at the very beginning, but I'm petrified of missing whole swathes of content if I don't systematically run around talking to everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Omi no Kami posted:

Does this have massive numbers of hidden/missable quests like trails in the sky? I'm still on the field trip at the very beginning, but I'm petrified of missing whole swathes of content if I don't systematically run around talking to everyone.

there's one hidden sidequest on every free day and field trip and a new set of rare-ish books. everything else is telegraphed

• Locked thread