Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Maggie Fletcher posted:

My poor scaredy cat foster...I think we've had a slight setback. I went out and bought a bunch of her favorite food, some new treats to try, and a laser pointer. She's not very adventurous food-wise, or food-motivated. She doesn't go for Temptations, which every cat on the planet loves (she'll eat them eventually if I leave them in her dish, but otherwise ignores them). She is TERRIFIED of the laser pointer. I didn't shine it at her or anything, just a few feet away from her, and she ran away. I shone it on the opposite wall and she stared at it like it was coming to get her. I finally calmed her down with some really stinky freeze dried salmon, and I may try again as she gets bolder, keeping the laser pointed across the room from her so it's not a threat, but it's just the weirdest thing to see a cat legitimately fearful of a dot on the floor.

That shelter and that cat got really lucky that you were there to take on permanent care of that sweet cat. Cats are weird and also pretty resilient. She's probably not going to remember that this happened 20 minutes from whenever it happened. And some cats are weird about play--a friend of mine had a cat who would only play by herself at night and would stop and stare warily if my friend made any noise suggesting that he wasn't asleep in his bed (he often sat quietly watching her because it was funny). My friend found the cat in a rental storage space and adopted her and she was mostly fine but intimidated by regular-sized rooms, possibly because she was used to living in a place with a low ceiling.

You will eventually succeed at finding something that the cat enjoys playing with because you're so dedicated to the task, but who knows what it will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

business hammocks posted:

That shelter and that cat got really lucky that you were there to take on permanent care of that sweet cat. Cats are weird and also pretty resilient. She's probably not going to remember that this happened 20 minutes from whenever it happened. And some cats are weird about play--a friend of mine had a cat who would only play by herself at night and would stop and stare warily if my friend made any noise suggesting that he wasn't asleep in his bed (he often sat quietly watching her because it was funny). My friend found the cat in a rental storage space and adopted her and she was mostly fine but intimidated by regular-sized rooms, possibly because she was used to living in a place with a low ceiling.

You will eventually succeed at finding something that the cat enjoys playing with because you're so dedicated to the task, but who knows what it will be.

Fingers! She loves chomping on fingers. We had the cutest play session yesterday morning. She's really gentle and only bites softly, and bats with her paws, not claws. She's the sweetest little girl and I genuinely miss her when I'm not at home. <3

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Butterscotch's Twitter is blowing up:

https://twitter.com/Bscotchthecat1/status/907317254580326401

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

That video of him furiously devouring a whole sardine, wow.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Butters is such a good cat.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Guess who went cat cuddling!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

tiggers got some good fistbump action there

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

it's always the ones whose personality notes say "shy, needs time to get used to new people" who are all over me, cuddling and rumbling.

Same, little friend, same.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

neongrey posted:

it's always the ones whose personality notes say "shy, needs time to get used to new people" who are all over me, cuddling and rumbling.

Same, little friend, same.

We adopted our shy little dude because he was just the purriest dang cat in the colony room, hanging out in his little cave on a cat tree but happy to accept pets. He never got less shy around novel or scary situations, but he loved us a lot.

Horsey McHorseface
Jun 5, 2017

God drat I want to adopt all those cats.
Good Cattes. Good Cattes everywhere.
:3:

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Antivehicular posted:

We adopted our shy little dude because he was just the purriest dang cat in the colony room, hanging out in his little cave on a cat tree but happy to accept pets. He never got less shy around novel or scary situations, but he loved us a lot.

My little old lady is very shy too. Not a lap cat, but will headbutt me into a concussion if I let her, and will accept pets forever. Anyone have any advice on getting a cat to be more of a lap cat? The other night Lilly was sitting next to me in bed and plopped over onto my arm to clean herself. When they curl up into a little ball they somehow seem to become impossibly heavy, but the tiny little weight is such a comfort. I was bummed when she got up a few minutes later.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Stuff Tiani in an envelope and ship her over.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Kanga though. Look at that pattern!

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 20, 2017

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Dick Trauma posted:

Stuff Tiani in an envelope and ship her over.

Might be quite a bit of postage since she apparently weighs over 36 kilograms.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Pander posted:

uh. kinda small looking for an 80 pound cat.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

sneakyfrog posted:

uh. kinda small looking for an 80 pound cat.

I'm just going by the sheet in her photo!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Boogalo posted:

Kanga though. Look at that pattern!

Kanga's probably getting adopted! there were some people there and they fell in love and he cuddled right up into their arms and purred like crazy!

Pander posted:

3.6, I think, lol. I had to close her up early cause the next kitty over was a bit hissy when they saw, but she is a curious cuddle bug and loved to pose.

ComicsandSlushies
Feb 22, 2013
So my neighbors found a kitten and I agreed to take them in, gonna take them to the vet tomorrow as soon as I get up but so far the plan is staying up and feeling them when they need it. (We do have kitten formula on the way, for now I gave them some watered down wet food and they ate that just fine)

They are definitely under 8 weeks so if anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Butters' long-lost brother found!

http://www.kingstreetcats.org/animals/detail?AnimalID=11987550

(Note: he came from Anne Arundel County, so... it IS possible)

As additional clarification - he has been adopted out. The wife and I just went to see if he was still available on Saturday, and they kindly informed us that a family adopted him a few days earlier. It's a shame, because we just lost one of our cats and our remaining cat is looking for a friend, but we're happy to know that he's going onto a good family (the shelter clearly cares a lot about him, as do the animal control officers who found him in the first place)!

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

the horror... the horror

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart
So remember those two cats I was supposed to have for a week, maybe two? Still have them.

Not a problem though, I love them.

Jim is the sweet one.

Dwight is the mischievous one.

Together, they are at best ambivalent about their Uncle Charlie

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Good morning from Butterland:

https://twitter.com/Bscotchthecat1/status/913412976367030272

We have our yearly vet appointment this coming Tuesday. We'll get an official weigh in and health updates. Things are looking good!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chili posted:

Good morning from Butterland:

https://twitter.com/Bscotchthecat1/status/913412976367030272

We have our yearly vet appointment this coming Tuesday. We'll get an official weigh in and health updates. Things are looking good!

You have no need of an alarm clock anyway; You have a very hungry cat who will wake you up on time, on the dot every morning, so he can get fed. NOW! :catbert:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You have no need of an alarm clock anyway; You have a very hungry cat who will wake you up on time, on the dot every morning, so he can get fed. NOW! :catbert:

Step 1: Meow loudly.

Step 2: Walk on heads.

Step 3: Lick eyebrows.

Step 4: Bite exposed arms.

Step 5: Try to knock over lamps on nightstand.

Step 6: Anything else I can knock over?

Go back to step 1 and repeat cycle.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Pander posted:

It's a little sad how true this is.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Based on that picture, I conclude that somebody, whether he knows it or not, is a kitty.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Pander posted:

And this is why we lock our cats out of the bedroom at night :colbert:

:catbert:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

bitprophet posted:

And this is why we lock our cats out of the bedroom at night :colbert:

:catbert:
I like cat alarms better than phone alarms.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Pander posted:

I like cat alarms better than phone alarms.

I'd vastly prefer a cat alarm if it only went off once around 7-8am...unfortunately from prior experience, I know they tend to go off repeatedly around 2am, 4am and 6am instead. Often via spatial displacement of non-empty water glasses :argh:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

For my cat Malachi, the oldest of my current bunch, it was always "get the midnight zoomies ON TOP OF OWNER". Yeah that lasted like a week before I started locking him out at night.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I let mine walk all over me at night. I wonder why I sleep poorly :downs:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Every day at 1130am lately Cassie Catte has been plopping herself on my chest and purring as loudly as she can. She weighs twelve pounds which is enough that I can't fall back asleep. (I work late evenings)

Good times.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
My cats sleep in the bed with me. I actually cannot sleep unless I have a kitters in the bed with me.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Milly will only sleep on the bed if I bring her to it when I turn in for the night. If i don't, she sits downstairs and yowls sadly like an idiot for 5 minutes when she notices I'm gone, then goes back to sleep. There are no doors in the way of her coming in. Every morning she's on the bed as soon as the alarm goes off regardless of where she slept. At least she's learned she gets zero attention before that.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Rexie is a sphynx, so about 30m after we have gone to bed (and have appropriately pre-warmed it for her), she'll hop up next to us and coo until we lift the covers for her. She sleeps at my feet every night. Its the best space heater there is.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Geolicious posted:

My cats sleep in the bed with me. I actually cannot sleep unless I have a kitters in the bed with me.

One of the hardest parts of when my cat died was getting used to not having a purring warms on or near me at bedtime.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ofecks posted:

One of the hardest parts of when my cat died was getting used to not having a purring warms on or near me at bedtime.

Same, my surviving cat doesn't sleep in people beds

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jet does sleep in my bed, but not always at the same time as me and rarely next to me.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Rangs must sleep on my boyfriend's chest all night, every night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
[quote="“Brand New Malaysian Wife”" post="“476955349”"]
Rangs must sleep on my boyfriend’s chest all night, every night.
[/quote]

My ex's cat insisted on sleeping curled up between my arm and my side

This continued after we broke up and I moved into the spare bedroom before moving out