Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
Sorry if I wasn't clear - LOTR orcs are good thing.

Star Trek copying their design and pairing it with flat lifeless dialogue read by robots is bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
everyone on the internet is going crazy for Lt. Daft Punk, who was almost certainly just a throwaway visual gag but now you just know all the CBS execs are scrambling for a way to do re-shoots or something

also zaphod i ain't picking on you i swear but:

Zaphod42 posted:

I just hate when people take a loved IP and change everything about it.

dude that's what TNG, DS9 and Voyager ALL did! every trek series has changed "everything" (aside from the super basics like "Vulcans are robutts and klingons like-a the war")

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I'm wondering which episodes 1 and 2 Shatner watched, that featured a moving performance from Jason Isaacs.

https://twitter.com/williamshatner/status/912133571564863489

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
I would like fewer Dutch angles and more wide shots. Also I just generally found the action scenes terribly boring and the characters mostly boring.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Astroman posted:

because most of us never wanted another prequel in the first place. I wasn't burning to see a show set in Kirk/Pike's time, and if there was one I'd want it to be an episode or a tv movie, not an entire series. This show would have been perfectly serviceable if it were set in the 25th century with the exact same plot and characters (minus the name Sarek for the Vulcan) and all the same tech. The fact that they didn't do it was simply because they wanted to have their cake and eat it too--they felt they had to do a show similar to JJ Trek with all those references, but like JJ Trek update it and make it ultra modern, and Fuller just didn't give a poo poo about established Star Trek history.

That, right there, is the core of it.

Star Trek has spent the past decade and a half navel gazing at a chunk of timeline that no one really gives a poo poo about seeing.

You do a prequel exactly because you want to lean on existing continuity.

The story line, as presented, actually makes perfect sense for where we left the ST universe post DS9 and Voyager. I mean, for fucks sake, in DS9 you had a member of starfleet murder the current chancellor to install an ally during a time of war. That seems like a perfect catalyst to drive a nationalistic movement within the Klingon empire. It wouldn't even have to be something that was explained too fully, just replace the border rhetoric in the speeches with the federation too long interfering with Klingon leadership politics which dates back to TNG.

Boom, you reference existing continuity in a way that's not nudge nudge wink wink and you can do whatever you want in terms of visual direction because we've moved forward at this point. You aren't always trying to balance a tightrope of referencing enough continuity to remain consistent to what you want to do with a story and what is needed to make it fit in a greater whole.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

And let's make the captain Nog with security officer Alexander, who is married to Torres daughter.

(kidding)

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Astroman posted:

Because for Star Trek fans, this is kinda what a lot of us do, and have done, since the 60s. It was Star Trek fans in the 60s/70s analyzing minutia and speculating about the larger fictional universe that led to more inclusion of consistent continuity in the 80s and 90s shows despite the network execs caring for nothing of the sort. This helped greatly pave the way to the more deep, serialized, continuity and reference heavy "Golden Age of TV" we see across genres now.

Star Trek has had a pretty consistent history and worldbuilding over the past 30 years especially, and where it hasn't, stuff like "retconning" was pretty much invented by Star Trek fans. To see a show set pretty much in Kirk's time but with technology vastly in advance of it flys in the face of decades of that worldbuilding. Especially so if, as was suggested a few posts back, they show us Pike's Enterprise and it looks the same as these other ships.

To say we're whining because we want some fuddy duddy grognard 60s throwback is disingenuous too, because most of us never wanted another prequel in the first place. I wasn't burning to see a show set in Kirk/Pike's time, and if there was one I'd want it to be an episode or a tv movie, not an entire series. This show would have been perfectly serviceable if it were set in the 25th century with the exact same plot and characters (minus the name Sarek for the Vulcan) and all the same tech. The fact that they didn't do it was simply because they wanted to have their cake and eat it too--they felt they had to do a show similar to JJ Trek with all those references, but like JJ Trek update it and make it ultra modern, and Fuller just didn't give a poo poo about established Star Trek history.

For those who say you can't show a futuristic tv show and have it relateable without it being ultra futuristic to the viewers, what about BSG? For those who say you can't revisit a 60s era in a modern scifi show without updating it, how do you explain the fact that in a few months we'll be seeing a Doctor Who episode with un-updated 60s TARDIS sets? Shouldn't they have updated the First Doctor's TARDIS to with touchscreens?

All this could have also been avoided if they'd just have come out and said "we're doing a reboot." But again, have your cake and eat it too.

I still don't get what y'all problem is with new visuals. If Pike's ship looks modern and like something that could actually exist in the future, but everything else of the lore stays intact, nothing is lost.
Just pretend that there are different visualizations of the same novel and this one is the modern one.

If you still prefer a bridge and uniforms that look retarded and can not represent the future as we now know, then there's still TOS to watch.
But the tradeoff of this Groknard poo poo is that you can never ever introduce a new generation to Star Trek, or make new Trekkies, because the future you propose including all of TOS is just no longer believable.

And it doesn't really matter what century the new series is set in. There's no reason 1701 should have looked like that ever, from todays perspective, and there is no in-lore explanation that actually makes sense.

Instead, by revamping the design, we can preserve the stories, the morals, ideas and the entire lore for a new generation, which is absolutely fine and good. I just don't understand why something as goofy as TOS NEEDS to remain the actual and true look of this universe even though it means that the Star Trek universe CAN NOT be our future.
Instead change the visuals, keep the continuity and the whole deal can be our future again, Kirk, Picard and the whole shebang. Why care about a few buttons.

Haramstufe Rot fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 26, 2017

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Did people want this to be episodic planet of the week stuff rather than serialised? Seeing a lot of complaints that Burnham's character arc isn't complete two episodes in.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

marktheando posted:

Did people want this to be episodic planet of the week stuff rather than serialised? Seeing a lot of complaints that Burnham's character arc isn't complete two episodes in.

The thing that Trekkies hate the most is Star Trek.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

So far I'm enjoying this, and I really love the visual style of the show, but they really need to stop doing so many dutch angles.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

marktheando posted:

this is the rub for me, we're like 15% of the way through the series and people expect everything to be wrapped up with a captain's log and a neat resolution. We were never promised that and it was a mistake to expect that. This isn't TNG part 3, it's a new series and we should judge it as so.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

caps on caps on caps posted:

I still don't get what y'all problem is with new visuals. If Pike's ship looks modern and like something that could actually exist in the future, but everything else of the lore stays intact, nothing is lost.
Just pretend that there are different visualizations of the same novel and this one is the modern one.

If you still prefer a bridge and uniforms that look retarded and can not represent the future as we now know, then there's still TOS to watch.
But the tradeoff of this Groknard poo poo is that you can never ever introduce a new generation to Star Trek, or make new Trekkies, because the future you propose including all of TOS is just no longer believable.

And it doesn't really matter what century the new series is set in. There's no reason 1701 should have looked like that ever, from todays perspective, and there is no in-lore explanation that actually makes sense.

Instead, by revamping the design, we can preserve the stories, the morals, ideas and the entire lore for a new generation, which is absolutely fine and good. I just don't understand why something as goofy as TOS NEEDS to remain the actual and true look of this universe even though it means that the Star Trek universe CAN NOT be our future.
Instead change the visuals, keep the continuity and the whole deal can be our future again, Kirk, Picard and the whole shebang. Why care about a few buttons.

did you just not read what he wrote or did you just like assume or what here

your posts are all arguing with things that arent being said

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Ramadu posted:

did you just not read what he wrote or did you just like assume or what here

your posts are all arguing with things that arent being said

Considering his use of the term "SJW" every other post he probably does this quite often.

Atreiden posted:

It has been made abundantly clear through the flashbacks that Michael hates the Klingons for killing her parents and wiping out the research outpost she lived on in an unprovoked attack. Attacks that happen so often that the vulcan learning program ask about number of survivors from the latest klingon attack. We also see her arrive 7 years prior on the shenzhou as a human trying to act Vulcan. Through the 7 years, it's clear that the captain made her more human again and was not just her superior, but a mother-figure. A klingon then kills her right in front of Michael, who in an emotional response, that makes perfect sense taking in the all the prior information into account, kills the klingon.
But yes she totally needed to say that out loud :rolleyes:

Not that the attacks don't happen often but those questions were obviously interjected into the system directly for her to see if they would provoke an emotion response.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

socialsecurity posted:

Not that the attacks don't happen often but those questions were obviously interjected into the system directly for her to see if they would provoke an emotion response.

This. It's calling back to a similar scene with Spock at the start of The Voyage Home, where he's trying to build his knowledge of the world back up after being resurrected and his mother has the program ask him "How do you feel?" Sarek was testing Burnham. There are several like callbacks in the pilot, like Burnham's thruster pack excursion being a parallel to Spock's EVA into Vger in The Motion Picture.

However, the attacks clearly do not happen often or Georgiou wouldn't be able to say that almost no one has seen a Klingon for 100 years (which is frankly a really insensitive thing to say to Burnham, did you ever read her personnel file at all? Then again Kirk obviously never bothered to read Spock's.)

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

I don't mind updated tech when done well. Rogue One was able to do it well, were there complaints of it being out of date?

This new series just stinks of George Lucas prequels where shits updated because "we can do that now".

If they wanted that poo poo to be hightech so badly why not set it in the future where things are a little rough for the federation. But no, we gotta do a prequel cause all the hard work was already done (lore, world building, stories, etc) by other series and writers.

Honeslty, I wonder sometimes if show writers like working on a prequel or not cause it must suck being creative then having someone walk in and say "no, you can't do that because episode x in season y Picard says that 'z'"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
E: whoops had my Star trek threads mixed up

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 26, 2017

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

I'm glad discovery is kinda lovely and polarizing, cause these arguments are fun to read. It reads like we're back in 1980s news groups.

So maybe this *is* real trek.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

DrNutt posted:

E: whoops had my Star trek threads mixed up
You probably shouldn't post it in there either, because it was a really dumb reading.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gorn Myson posted:

You probably shouldn't post it in there either, because it was a really dumb reading.

:jerkbag:

I agree, the stuff I read in the Trek thread was really dumb.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i just think it'd be funny if someone tried to say in all seriousness that this pilot was somehow in any way worse than like 99% of the entire first 2 seasons of TNG

because lol

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I still don't get how Michael's slow jump at the Klingon managed to get him to stab himself and get herself knocked out in one move.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

well why not posted:

this is the rub for me, we're like 15% of the way through the series and people expect everything to be wrapped up with a captain's log and a neat resolution. We were never promised that and it was a mistake to expect that. This isn't TNG part 3, it's a new series and we should judge it as so.

I don't have a problem for serialization or character arcs, I just don't feel the premier set things up well. We spent way too much time with the T'Kuvma establishing generic religious zealot only to kill him off. Similar stuff can be said about the setting and most of the crew.

In medias res can be overused, but I think it's appropriate to do that when you have a character focused piece. I think the opening should have been kept the same, but then time jumped to (presumably) what we'll see in the 3rd episode immediately after she encounters the Klingon on the beacon.

Flashback is already being used to fill in the character's backstory, it could have been used to give a high level of the events that happen in the pilot and how they relate to her character.

Basically, if this is going to be a war story, the pilot was appropriate. If the war is going to be a catalyst and background element in a character study, then there was a shitton of wasted screentime in the pilot.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Huh, I didn't even notice them at all when it aired.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

precision posted:

i just think it'd be funny if someone tried to say in all seriousness that this pilot was somehow in any way worse than like 99% of the entire first 2 seasons of TNG

because lol
Most of the complaints that I've read so far just make me think "has this person ever watched Star Trek before?".

Caros
May 14, 2008

CPColin posted:

I still don't get how Michael's slow jump at the Klingon managed to get him to stab himself and get herself knocked out in one move.

I still don't understand why her immediate reaction to an armed, hostile warrior attacking her is to fling herself bodily into him instead of, I dunno, jumping away?

Also, i know it is petty of me, but can I just say, radiation does not work that way.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

its like they combined both of the Daft Punk bots together and i love it.

as far as comparing the DISC pilot to farpoint... rose tinted glasses. farpoint looks like community theatre nowadays. S1 TNG looks rough as gently caress basically.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

precision posted:

The thing that Trekkies hate the most is Star Trek.

Exactly. While most normal people who are fans of Star Trek are really enjoying the show

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I didn't get to watch the whole thing because it was pre-empted by 60 minutes so my recording was cut off. Oh well.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Raged posted:

Exactly. While most normal people who are fans of Star Trek are really enjoying the show

Nah, all the people I know who aren't really trek nerds who gave it a chance were put off by the terrible writing and unlikable uninteresting characters. The only people I know who enjoy the show are huge trek nerds desperately thirsty for more trek.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
I watched the episodes, kinda liked them, then checked what internet has to say about it and :yikes:

Apparently people have really strong opinions about Star Trek.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Raged posted:

I'm not even much of a Trek fan (love TOS and about 1 out of every 20 TNG episodes and most of DS9) and I really enjoyed Discovery

It actually gave me strong Star Trek 6 vibes (and not just for the obvious reasons)

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Obfuscation posted:

I watched the episodes, kinda liked them, then checked what internet has to say about it and :yikes:

This has been true forever tbh

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Caros posted:

Also, i know it is petty of me, but can I just say, radiation does not work that way.

Which bit was that? Shows almost never get radiation right so it doesn't surprise me in the least, but it's normally something that jumps out at me and I don't recall it from the pilot.

Obfuscation posted:

I think this is true of all fiction tbh. And if a story is popular enough to have a thread all to itself you can bet there will be a riot happening inside, whatever it's about

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Probably the to-the-second countdown to the lethal dose.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

So I have no means to watch this show but everyone keeps mentioning violent prisons? Is there like a specific scene or something? Sounds kinda odd for Trek, I'd always pictured their prisons like the fancy ones in Norway.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

So I have no means to watch this show but everyone keeps mentioning violent prisons? Is there like a specific scene or something? Sounds kinda odd for Trek, I'd always pictured their prisons like the fancy ones in Norway.

In the preview for the rest of the season Burnham gets in some kind of prison fight by the looks of it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

CPColin posted:

Probably the to-the-second countdown to the lethal dose.

Hahaha oh yeah, that's always a good one. In fiction it has to work like a ticking time bomb or there's no drama.

"Commander if you stay out there for 3 more minutes you'll have a 10% elevated risk of thyroid cancer in the next 40 years!"

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Like letting air out of a noodle!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
I don't have much to say other than the Premier was okay, and I really hope All Access doesn't kill this show before it gets to Netflix in the US where it might have a chance at a real future.

But I also really hope it doesn't tumble down the "just war" garbage pit, like someone said earlier, and they do take the path of defending and encouraging progressive values in the face of violence.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 26, 2017