Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I have no opinion on whether or not The Orville is "clowning" on Discovery or not because I don't really care about that. I know that after 3 and 1 episodes respectively, The Orville is the show that appeals to me more. However were it not for Discovery's obnoxious limits on its availability I'd be watching it to see where it goes too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Spark That Bled posted:

I've been reading up on this show, and I don't see anything progressive about it. I don't know how else to break it to you.

Three episodes have aired, either watch it or gently caress off. Nobody cares what you think of the recaps.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Doctor Butts posted:

I don't like the uniforms though because they look awkward and uncomfortable.

Better than the STD uniforms, holy poo poo

Like how is it that The Orville remembered to color-code the employees but STD didn't? Every Star Trek has done that, even loving Enterprise.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Spark That Bled posted:

I've been reading up on this show, and I don't see anything progressive about it. I don't know how else to break it to you.

The cast includes women and people of color and a woman is put in charge in the second episode and nobody even bats an eye at it. And she takes charge because a man is busy sitting on an egg. Think for five seconds before you post.

Its not a liberal propaganda show but its about as progressive as any Trek.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Discovery is bad "prestige" TV and Orville is good "trash" TV essentially. No one is going to give any awards to say, Legends of Tomorrow over, say, Preacher, but I know which one I'd rather watch any day of the week. It's the one with passable acting and sometimes laughable fx and scripting that is perfectly comfortable and doesn't require a bunch of emotional investment or close watching.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Discovery is bad "prestige" TV and Orville is good "trash" TV essentially. No one is going to give any awards to say, Legends of Tomorrow over, say, Preacher, but I know which one I'd rather watch any day of the week. It's the one with passable acting and sometimes laughable fx and scripting that is perfectly comfortable and doesn't require a bunch of emotional investment or close watching.

This nails it, I think. Neither show is perfect and they both have some pretty glaring problems, but it stands out more for Discovery because it's aiming higher and missing by a mile. I'm not particularly invested in The Orville and there are a million things about it that would bother me if I was treating like "serious" TV, but I'm not and I can overlook those flaws and still enjoy it for what it is.

I'd still be sticking with Discovery for a while if it wasn't for CBS' All Access bullshit, though. It's not unwatchable and I thought it had its moments during the pilot episodes.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Doggles posted:

:goonsay:

When discussing a television show, it typically helps to turn the television on first.

Unlike Discovery which can't be watched on television. :rimshot:

I dunno about you, but I'm watching Discovery on Netflix right now. The Orville isn't on Netflix, that's for sure.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Zaphod42 posted:

Better than the STD uniforms, holy poo poo

Like how is it that The Orville remembered to color-code the employees but STD didn't? Every Star Trek has done that, even loving Enterprise.

The color coding in Discovery is subtle. The fringes and badges are gold/silver/bronze for command/science/ops.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pakled posted:

The color coding in Discovery is subtle. The fringes and badges are gold/silver/bronze for command/science/ops.

I noticed the gold/silver but it didn't seem to be used consistently across all roles. And I didn't see any bronze at all, guess I missed that.

Still, shades of metal are way too close to be functionally useful as identifiers.

TNG's redesigned outfit with the colored shoulderpads were the best I think, and then DS9 outfits. They both looked like fairly functional jumpsuits with some style. The original TNG ones were okay but kinda pajama-ish, and same with the TOS ones.

Also I prefer the later Tactical/Engineering/Science breakdown to the old Command/Science/Ops breakdown. Then you have the redshirt problem. Command and security being lumped into tactical makes more sense to me. I guess sometimes security was lumped in with engineering too which seemed weird but w/e.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 26, 2017

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Spark That Bled posted:

You could try watching for yourself. Weird, I know! I know I'm beaten by a mile. I feel my take is original enough to stand on its own, however.

TheScott2K posted:

Three episodes have aired, either watch it or gently caress off. Nobody cares what you think of the recaps.

For once I agree with TheScott2K. I'm sure no one cares about what I think either, just to preemptively put that out there and deny Scotty the pleasure of his posting gimmick.

Spark That Bled posted:

I dunno about you, but I'm watching Discovery on Netflix right now. The Orville isn't on Netflix, that's for sure.

You're not an American, huh? Because Discovery isn't on Netflix in America. It's on CBS All Access for some godawful reason.

It's like some of you forget that America is the center of the universe. Weird.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Rainbowbeard why can't you just say "I agree with this obvious take" without turning it into a shitpost?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I went from liking this show to loving it when I realised that Klyden was played by Fred Johnson.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Gorn Myson posted:

I went from liking this show to loving it when I realised that Klyden was played by Fred Johnson.

Imdb says its Chad Coleman

Edit: VVV ahhh gotcha

TheDon01 fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 26, 2017

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

TheDon01 posted:

Imdb says its Chad Coleman

Chad Coleman who plays Fred Johnson in The Expanse :v:

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I was kinda 'eh' on the 1st episode, really started enjoying the 2nd, and I loved the 3rd episode! I'd say the gender plotline was probably the best any Star Trek or Star Trek like show has represented a truly dividing issue. It didn't cheerlead, it wasn't transphobic, and the ending was really well done.

I'm actually super impressed.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yeah, the reviews I've read online of Orville are pretty negative, but having watched the show I question whether those people have or not. Other than the fact that Norm McDonald, Seth Grimes, and McFarland are here, I'd be hard pressed to recognize this as a Seth McFarland show. And the last episode's subject matter was handled far better than I feared. If anything it feels like they shot a little high and missed the mark. But the fact is that they lose and everyone is utterly crestfallen about it, but they strive to move forward and create the best life they can for the baby.

Peachfart posted:

I was kinda 'eh' on the 1st episode, really started enjoying the 2nd, and I loved the 3rd episode! I'd say the gender plotline was probably the best any Star Trek or Star Trek like show has represented a truly dividing issue. It didn't cheerlead, it wasn't transphobic, and the ending was really well done.

I'm actually super impressed.

It seemed to me like they were trying to do an updated version of The Outcast from TNG, minus the part where Worf and Riker stage a guerilla campaign to rescue his girlfriend from the rainbow re-education camp.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 26, 2017

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
Might as well point out that The Orville is going to be on the UK version of FOX, which only seems to be available on Sky, Virgin Media and Talk Talk in the UK. Which are TV services I don't have at the moment, so...

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, the reviews I've read online of Orville are pretty negative, but having watched the show I question whether those people have or not. Other than the fact that Norm McDonald, Seth Grimes, and McFarland are here, I'd be hard pressed to recognize this as a Seth McFarland show. And the last episode's subject matter was handled far better than I feared. If anything it feels like they shot a little high and missed the mark. But the fact is that they lose and everyone is utterly crestfallen about it, but they strive to move forward and create the best life they can for the baby.

:iiam:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Netflix is just a vastly different service outside of the US. I does basically zero "as it airs" content in the US. So we don't watch any shows like that on netflix.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gorn Myson posted:

At first I thought it was Kenan Thompson but either way it's awesome.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Spark That Bled posted:

It is worth mentioning that the reviews for The Orville universally panned the show, despite very favorable audience reactions. Anyone who followed the review situation and watched the show is somewhat baffled by how the reviewers came to their lovely conclusions.

If all you have to go on for The Orville is online reviews, you're going to get a vision of the show that isn't exactly based in reality.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I'm the guy who writes a review goes into a thread for a show I haven't watched to tell everyone how bad it is.

Edit: oh crap, they have a Lum avatar too. I'm actually being sarcastic and I'm really not that guy.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I'm someone who generally enjoys pretty much everything McFarlane produces (except Cleveland Show obviously), and has never really liked Star Trek much so take anything I say with copious grains of salt. It's basically the good parts of Star Trek with a sense of levity added to it. It's an enjoyable space adventure with fun characters. I'm very on board with this show.

To parrot others: if you haven't actually given it a watch, and base all your taste on reviews then please leave the thread.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I feel like if TNG did this episode, it would have ended with them finding out a large portion of their population was born female, but underwent reassignment surgery, and it was kept from them. That Moclan females where not a rare occurance, but actually fairly regularly but because the system told everyone it was rare, when one was born they'd go "Oh well, that happens every so often *snip snip* now he's a useful male, now let us never speak of this again.

Then they would have left with some offhanded comment about "well, they got some stuff to deal with" and that was that.

Show has gotten a lot better. If they deliever that quality on a regular basis i'll be pretty happy.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Caros posted:

It is worth mentioning that the reviews for The Orville universally panned the show, despite very favorable audience reactions. Anyone who followed the review situation and watched the show is somewhat baffled by how the reviewers came to their lovely conclusions.

If all you have to go on for The Orville is online reviews, you're going to get a vision of the show that isn't exactly based in reality.

I've been reading this thread too, so don't think that it's just the reviews that have given me this idea.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Does your heart stop if you don't stop posting in this thread for a TV show you haven't watched or something?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I feel like if TNG did this episode, it would have ended with them finding out a large portion of their population was born female, but underwent reassignment surgery, and it was kept from them. That Moclan females where not a rare occurance, but actually fairly regularly but because the system told everyone it was rare, when one was born they'd go "Oh well, that happens every so often *snip snip* now he's a useful male, now let us never speak of this again.

Then they would have left with some offhanded comment about "well, they got some stuff to deal with" and that was that.

Show has gotten a lot better. If they deliever that quality on a regular basis i'll be pretty happy.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/The_Outcast_(episode)

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
Well, posting here hasn't convinced me to watch the show, so :shrug:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

That was basically the idea, though that society was shown to actually be non-gendered, and I could totally see it being seen by some lovely people as "The world liberials want!" as its a world were gender is seen as evil.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

That was basically the idea, though that society was shown to actually be non-gendered, and I could totally see it being seen by some lovely people as "The world liberials want!" as its a world were gender is seen as evil.

True enough I suppose, with the Mochlans it was more a matter of biology and the Genaii were a matter of Psychology.

Spark That Bled posted:

So why do you keep posting here? Do you hope we'll convince you otherwise or are you trying to save us from a show we're apparently enjoying?

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Kurieg posted:

So why do you keep posting here? Do you hope we'll convince you otherwise or are you trying to save us from a show we're apparently enjoying?

Actually, I was here because I didn't like all of the making GBS threads on Discovery, but I'm probably not going to change any of your minds about that, am I?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jesus H Christ if you came to this thread to proselytize Discovery then you can gently caress back off to that terrible thread.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spark That Bled posted:

Actually, I was here because I didn't like all of the making GBS threads on Discovery, but I'm probably not going to change any of your minds about that, am I?

I'm confused, are people making GBS threads up the DIS thread talking about how much better the Orville is? If they are, tell them to gently caress off. Like people are telling you here.

Wait, your logic is

"Ugh, people in the thread for the show I like are talking about how they don't like the show I like, so I'm gonna go into the thread of a show tangentially related to the show that I like, even though I haven't even watched it, and bitch about it there?"

Like that's some lovely logic right there brah

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 26, 2017

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Spark That Bled posted:

at least the people making GBS threads on it have watched the show

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

at least the people making GBS threads on it have watched the show

I thought you couldn't because of all those app shenanigans?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wait, why the gently caress am I engaging with you when I can just ignore your lovely posts

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Spark That Bled posted:

OK, and...?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Spark That Bled posted:

I thought you couldn't because of all those app shenanigans?

Oh right I forgot, either everyone has watched the show or everyone hasn't. And they definitely didn't release the first half of the pilot for free on their broadcast station, nope.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Spark That Bled posted:

I don't know why that would make you come here and try to poo poo on *this* show, especially when you haven't seen it. Somebody who doesn't like STD isn't automatically going to love The Orville and I don't know why you'd think that unless you have some preconceived notions about what people like, dislike or expect from either show.

For what it's worth, most of the "making GBS threads" I've seen in that thread has been on anybody who wasn't impressed by STD for any reason. And if somebody doesn't like a Star Trek, what's that to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

Spark That Bled posted:

Can this just not be a thing? I know two Trek shows coming out at the same time with such different tones or whatever makes it sort of inevitable but an Orville vs Discovery slapfight after every episode would be the most tedious thing.