Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Burnham gets ordered back to sickbay right after she goes to the bridge. She returns from sickbay 2 hours later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

And More posted:

I was unsure whether I'd like Enterprise, until this dude had his second appearance:

It's just too funny. They take him amazingly serious.

That the words 'Jeffery Combs' aren't normally proceeded with the words 'Hollywood Megastar' is a goddamn crime.

There's a wider point though, I literally can't imagine some of the more fun characters like Shran, Rom, Q, or Mudd existing in this universe. (I know, Mudd is in Discovery, but from what we've seen in the trailers it's a far more sinister madman-type character than the campish conman in TOS). This show is just really really dark, both visually and tonally. Every character who advocates an attempt at diplomacy ends up loving dead. The first officer knocks out the Captain who overrules her, only for her to come back with a gun. The science officer recommends someone suicide-runs a shuttle craft into the Klingon ship, and the captain decides to mine a loving corpse instead. That's a war crime, btw. That's a literal war crime, today, right now, in 2017. That's not an optimistic future - that's not even an optimistic present.

If this team were doing the old shows, Shran would be murdering prisoners, Rom would have escaped arrest for people smuggling because Odo half beat him to death in his cell and Farpoint would have ended with Q tricking the enterprise into murdering the Jellyfish for fun. You can do gritty space drama - BSG did it really well for 3 seasons before it disappeared up it's own arse, and I really like what I've seen so far of the Expanse - but....can't we have our fun camp sci-fi adventure show again? Surely there's a gap in the market for just one show that's not just angry space-arseholes in space?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
They didn't die because they advocated diplomacy. They died because their cultural insensitivity and wilful ignorance meant that they didn't actually employ diplomacy and allow for the other culture's beliefs and perspective. They were told how to talk to the Klingons, and instead chose to only consider the Federation's terms.

That was kind of the whole point. They never altered their position, which was inflammatory and offensive to the Klingons. It's what the Klingon gambit was predicated upon, that the insult would be repeated in front of the council members. Had they taken the Vulcan advice then the antagonist would have been made to look a fool.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Pastamania posted:

That the words 'Jeffery Combs' aren't normally proceeded with the words 'Hollywood Megastar' is a goddamn crime.

There's a wider point though, I literally can't imagine some of the more fun characters like Shran, Rom, Q, or Mudd existing in this universe. (I know, Mudd is in Discovery, but from what we've seen in the trailers it's a far more sinister madman-type character than the campish conman in TOS). This show is just really really dark, both visually and tonally. Every character who advocates an attempt at diplomacy ends up loving dead. The first officer knocks out the Captain who overrules her, only for her to come back with a gun. The science officer recommends someone suicide-runs a shuttle craft into the Klingon ship, and the captain decides to mine a loving corpse instead. That's a war crime, btw. That's a literal war crime, today, right now, in 2017. That's not an optimistic future - that's not even an optimistic present.

If this team were doing the old shows, Shran would be murdering prisoners, Rom would have escaped arrest for people smuggling because Odo half beat him to death in his cell and Farpoint would have ended with Q tricking the enterprise into murdering the Jellyfish for fun. You can do gritty space drama - BSG did it really well for 3 seasons before it disappeared up it's own arse, and I really like what I've seen so far of the Expanse - but....can't we have our fun camp sci-fi adventure show again? Surely there's a gap in the market for just one show that's not just angry space-arseholes in space?

There's room within a series, and even within a single episode, for both camp and grimness. In the Pale Moonlight is both very dark and still very campy, for example. Discovery hasn't done that yet (I found some parts cringey, but not campy in the same way) but that doesn't mean it can't.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

As a Trek fan, the thing I dislike about it most is how tired it is. Star Trek has done the spiky dark post 9/11 aliens thing before and both times it's been awful. Enterprise and Nemesis are low points in the franchise. Trek2009 wasn't a whole lot better and also featured spiky post 9/11 aliens. Beam over to the enemy ship at the end so our heroes can punch them, yadda yadda. It's boring and it's a misunderstanding of what popular Star Trek was about. 2009 received a fairly tepid response and Nemesis and Enterprise were rightly panned for their dark action movie take on Trek. That's not what the franchise is good at.

This dovetails with my other main problem with the show, which is that Trek prequels are played out. In the first 30 minutes there was a lot of cool new stuff that we haven't had in Trek before, like using robotic daughter ships or routine EVA to check something out in person. Even phrases like "tech hygiene" sound new, which is something that Trek has always embraced when it's good. TNG wasn't TOS over again, it clearly had its roots in the late 80s and late 80s conceptions of what this positive aspirational future could look like. Discovery gets to be new and good for about 30 minutes before it's dragged back down into its prequel premise. There's Klingons and hull breaches and spiky green and black ships of enormous size and space battles and we've all seen this before. The story beats from there are all very rote aside from Michael's freakout.

Discovery looked for all the world like a sequel when it started showing and talking about things in our future, the future of people in 2017. When it's thrown back into Trek prequel purgatory its like being dragged back in time to no longer even scifi but some sort of weird mishmash of retcon and period piece and focus grouped nostalgia for a broadcast era franchise. It manages to be both new and tired and boring at the same time.

This isn't even getting into the military themes and prison fight that clash pretty hard with Star Trek but strongly resemble prestige dramas from the last 20 years. Even if you aren't attached to the idea of Trek as an aspiration for the people of the time in which it airs, putting a prequel to a 60s show on with explicit callbacks to the fiction of the 60s with atmosphere and themes from recent prestige dramas ends up with a muddled aesthetic and uncertain theme. This is born out by all the people wondering whether the show thinks that Michael's actions were justified or not -- the show's tone is muddled.

Yeah we will probably never get a good ST series again. TNG and DS9 were products of their time, it's hard to imagine DS9 being produced today. DS9, like X-files, hit that sweet spot between monster of the week and serial arcs, it had both arc episodes and "filler" isolated ones, which let characters develop in an unhurried way. Today's TV has to have something dramatic happen every second. That's why the first 5 minutes of STD was an as-you-know infodump, they didn't want to spend time developing the characters because every minute without monster size ships epically blasting each other is wasted time. I would've liked to know more about that timid tall alien guy, or the daft punk robot, maybe give them a nice focused episode where they deal with a dumb problem so they can grow on you, and THEN put them in a long arc. There's no way that will ever happen again in the foreseeable future.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Why the gently caress would I want a back story episode for a second string character before the introduction of the main character and the establishing of the world in which the series takes place? What you are describing is the classically bad storytelling which leads to the vast majority of pilots, and especially Trek ones, being unrepresentative shite.
It is a bad form of storytelling that came about because of the constraints under which programmes were pitched to networks and which now, for shows like this, is obsolete.

And yeah, loving bravo "we''ll never get a good Trek show again" because by show you seem to mean time travel to the past. Excessive nostalgia is unhealthy.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 26, 2017

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I can't believe no one's said space orcs. Look at them, they're Uruks. The Federation is fighting some kind of futuristic Sauron and these "klingons" have the worst disguise ever.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Shibawanko posted:

Yeah we will probably never get a good ST series again. TNG and DS9 were products of their time, it's hard to imagine DS9 being produced today. DS9, like X-files, hit that sweet spot between monster of the week and serial arcs, it had both arc episodes and "filler" isolated ones, which let characters develop in an unhurried way. Today's TV has to have something dramatic happen every second. That's why the first 5 minutes of STD was an as-you-know infodump, they didn't want to spend time developing the characters because every minute without monster size ships epically blasting each other is wasted time. I would've liked to know more about that timid tall alien guy, or the daft punk robot, maybe give them a nice focused episode where they deal with a dumb problem so they can grow on you, and THEN put them in a long arc. There's no way that will ever happen again in the foreseeable future.

Yeah this is just a big problem with a lot of TV now, everything needs the drama and tension and movement turned up to 11 at all times with no moment to breathe. But even shows like Breaking Bad which was full of manufactured and idiocy-fueled-tension still managed to have some humour and heart here and there and even if you loved or hated a character you felt something about them pretty quickly. You had skinny pete going on about trek and babylon 5, just little fun character moments that gave the show time to breathe. Plus, as manufactured as the drama often was, it was well written and things mostly made sense. It's the same with The Expanse, it's gritty and dramatic and dark but outside of Holden the characters are interesting and even likeable, plus they stop to breathe and have a laugh here and there, or at least stop to digest and discuss.

Discovery thinks to be a modern dark gritty prestige drama or whatever it needs to be 100% serialized and the core plot can never stop, things have to keep moving full speed ahead at all times. Don't worry about what a character would do or wasting time developing them, characters just exist to keep the plot and action moving. Only develop characters as a means of advancing the core plot, and the core plot just exists as a basic framework to hang drama and action on. Just move so fast and make everything so bright and shiny hopefully no one notices how terrible the writing is.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
You know what else they didn't have back in the day when the other Trek shows started? A metastasised viewer base who were invested in hating them before they got off the ground.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

You know what else they didn't have back in the day when the other Trek shows started? A metastasised viewer base who were invested in hating them before they got off the ground.

Well you're wrong there!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Discovery thinks to be a modern dark gritty prestige drama or whatever it needs to be 100% serialized and the core plot can never stop, things have to keep moving full speed ahead at all times. Don't worry about what a character would do or wasting time developing them, characters just exist to keep the plot and action moving. Only develop characters as a means of advancing the core plot, and the core plot just exists as a basic framework to hang drama and action on. Just move so fast and make everything so bright and shiny hopefully no one notices how terrible the writing is.

Yeah the Doctor Who Syndrome I call it. They don't have the budget nor the patience with their audience enough to slow it down. The way how it's papered over how they get back to Star Fleet command for a nice little military trial really sticks out.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Also kinda seems too early to condemn the entire show as grimdark when we're one (doublesized) episode in and former Trek episodes include 'the one where Kira travels into the past to find out her mother slept with Cardassian officials during their internment in prison camps in order to give her family better medical treatment and access to more rations during the warcrime filled Cardassian occupation of Bajor, whereupon Kira attempts to assassinate the official who has taken possession of her mother in such a way that her mother would also die. Kira finds this an acceptable punishment for a collaborator until she realizes her mother is doing this for her family.'

Like, if that was the only episode you'd seen of Deep Space Nine, you'd think it was a horribly grimdark show, too! The first episode of Discovery is setting up the political/religious crisis inside the Klingon empire and has a lot of bad stuff happen, and all this is setting up stuff that we're not sure of yet, but this is... setting up the conflicts of the first season, probably, not the tone of the entire first season.

More importantly, how did Michael rise to First Mate only 7 years after she got dropped off with the Federation by Sarek?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ewe2 posted:

I can't believe no one's said space orcs. Look at them, they're Uruks. The Federation is fighting some kind of futuristic Sauron and these "klingons" have the worst disguise ever.

I immediately said orcs to my wife. I think it's the lack of hair

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I honestly think we're going to get some good old fashioned bottle episodes. I mean, they've already hinted there's going to be time loop and mirror universe episodes, so it seems they're at least thinking about not going full speed ahead plot explosion.

Caros
May 14, 2008

PetraCore posted:

Also kinda seems too early to condemn the entire show as grimdark when we're one (doublesized) episode in and former Trek episodes include 'the one where Kira travels into the past to find out her mother slept with Cardassian officials during their internment in prison camps in order to give her family better medical treatment and access to more rations during the warcrime filled Cardassian occupation of Bajor, whereupon Kira attempts to assassinate the official who has taken possession of her mother in such a way that her mother would also die. Kira finds this an acceptable punishment for a collaborator until she realizes her mother is doing this for her family.'

Like, if that was the only episode you'd seen of Deep Space Nine, you'd think it was a horribly grimdark show, too! The first episode of Discovery is setting up the political/religious crisis inside the Klingon empire and has a lot of bad stuff happen, and all this is setting up stuff that we're not sure of yet, but this is... setting up the conflicts of the first season, probably, not the tone of the entire first season.

More importantly, how did Michael rise to First Mate only 7 years after she got dropped off with the Federation by Sarek?

That also isn't the first episode. The first episode tends to be the one that sets the tone of the entire series, even if that tone has some variance. I mean, I don't think anyone is expecting lighthearted trek after this, even if there is a happy go lucky moment or two here or there, are you? Hell, just look at the preview that continues the same grimdark tone.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ewe2 posted:

Yeah the Doctor Who Syndrome I call it. They don't have the budget nor the patience with their audience enough to slow it down. The way how it's papered over how they get back to Star Fleet command for a nice little military trial really sticks out.

That's another huge problem with JJ-Trek and new Starwars, everything seems tiny because a sense of scale or time is boring man, keep things pumping, keep the action moving, next tense scene, next setpiece battle, next big dramatic twist. Make it like 24, make it all feel to be happening in real time without any breaks. They want to create this feeling of non-stop movement and action, its so intense the characters don't have any time to take a breath and neither does the viewer. Waiting a day for a reply from command, sitting down to discuss the situation, or taking a week to travel somewhere all break up this breakneck pacing. It's like how joggers have to jog in place while waiting at traffic lights, you gotta keep your heart rate up and consistently up. Shows like Discovery and movies like JJtrek treat the audience like joggers, you have to keep their heart rate consistently elevated at all times or you're not doing it right.

I don't think this sort of pacing is enjoyable, and I think it's generally used to hope no one has time to stop and digest how bad everything is.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Half the people in the thread are evaluating the TV show based on the pilot.

The other half are evaluating the pilot to decide whether it's Star Trek or something else with Star Trek wallpaper pasted over it to try to appeal to a built-in fanbase.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Caros posted:

That also isn't the first episode. The first episode tends to be the one that sets the tone of the entire series, even if that tone has some variance. I mean, I don't think anyone is expecting lighthearted trek after this, even if there is a happy go lucky moment or two here or there, are you? Hell, just look at the preview that continues the same grimdark tone.

I think there will be lighthearted moments and stand-alone episodes after this, yes.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Beachcomber posted:

Half the people in the thread are evaluating the TV show based on the pilot.

The other half are evaluating the pilot to decide whether it's Star Trek or something else with Star Trek wallpaper pasted over it to try to appeal to a built-in fanbase.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Is this why I enjoy movies in the theatre but feel no real desire to watch them ever again?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

That said I do hope the pacing isn't all action all the time. I just think it's too early to unilaterally declare that just because the pilot was action-packed, that that's the show from now on.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I read this tiny article and their complaint is that the charm and chemistry of the original crew can never be replicated.

No one here is saying that. It's all about tone and plot and continuity.

Edit: and the continuity is just nitpicking. If the show does well every problem will be no-prized out of existence

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 26, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

The really great thing here is that someone apparently felt Geordi was the closest analog in the TNG crew to Spock :confused:

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Ok, now respond to me again when you actually read my posts.

Quidam Viator posted:

Well, isn't the Shenzhou just an on-ramp into the show? I mean, they DID light Saru and Michael and the captain, because they were important to the plot. The rest of those fuckers are dead. Why light them up and get you attached to them? They have a whole, real bridge crew they want you to love, probably not mourning over daft-punk-face, right?

Am I on the right timeline? I know the JJTrek is alternate universe, but if THAT is the new visual look of TOS, then isn't this movie supposed to have similar visuals to that time period, if we have both the movie franchise and this series going? Am I taking crazy pills? It feels very similar and consistent...

Oh, i totally get the idea that they're not important, but it is annoying to me personally that half of the scenes are pitch black. It's just ugly. JJTrek, for all it's faults, didn't have this problem at all, and like i said, i am completely fine with how it looked. I am not at this moment complaining about the visual elements themselves, just the lighting.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

I can't get over frakes' hair

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I'd just like to point out that the Klingons' skepticism of the humans' catchphrase is entirely justified:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCARADb9asE&t=98s

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Show sucks. Writing sucks. Visuals are alright, but the camera work is either too slanted or the cuts are too frenetic to enjoy the scenery. Most of the actors suck, but I'm not sure if it is a lack of talent or the garbage they were given to work with. Would have been better served as a sequel. CBS All Access strategy is poo poo.

People talking about this as some kind of bold, gritty re-imagining of the series have clearly never seen DS9.

I'll pirate the rest, and continue to enjoy The Expanse instead.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Yeah, the Federation was never going to just start shooting Klingon ships wherever they saw them, but I think the basic argument that Klingon diplomacy works a different way than Vulcan or human diplomacy is a valid one, and maybe if Michael had taken the time to pull an argument together and present it calmly and been willing to talk about alternate methods of respecting Klingon culture instead of attempting diplomatic gestures that Klingons see as insincere and insulting things would have been different.

Too bad about that deep emotional trauma that... probably wasn't addressed very well by the Vulcans?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Caros posted:

I couldn't agree more. They don't have to dish out all the themes of the show in condensed form like it's classic literature, but setting the tone is important. Some people in this thread are talking about STD like they're willing to wait a few seasons to see if it gets better. Personally, I'm not that optimistic. If it's not better by next week, I'll go see a doctor stop watching.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Well, I certainly think the All Access thing means there's less validity to going 'wait and see', because the producers want you to have to pay to watch each episode, meaning the show gets less benefit of the doubt. And that's... kind of their fault!

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

PetraCore posted:

Well, I certainly think the All Access thing means there's less validity to going 'wait and see', because the producers want you to have to pay to watch each episode, meaning the show gets less benefit of the doubt. And that's... kind of their fault!

That's not really an issue for me, since I'm watching STD on Netflix. Still, there are so many good shows out there these days, why should people bother watching something mediocre.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I did watch Voyager, and that is worse than this, so i guess i can give STD one more chance.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Frionnel posted:

I did watch Voyager, and that is worse than this, so i guess i can give STD one more chance.

Here is how I watched Voyager: I compiled a list consisting of a bunch of top tens, watched the episodes in chronological order, and then marvelled at all the insane bullshit they kept referencing.

That show is two solid seasons worth of decent episodes. The only real deal breaker is that the captain is loving insane, and will happily choose the most violent option, even in the good episodes. (This aspect also got slightly more entertaining after a while.)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

They didn't die because they advocated diplomacy. They died because their cultural insensitivity and wilful ignorance meant that they didn't actually employ diplomacy and allow for the other culture's beliefs and perspective. They were told how to talk to the Klingons, and instead chose to only consider the Federation's terms.

That was kind of the whole point. They never altered their position, which was inflammatory and offensive to the Klingons. It's what the Klingon gambit was predicated upon, that the insult would be repeated in front of the council members. Had they taken the Vulcan advice then the antagonist would have been made to look a fool.

Woah hold on, first, Sarek didn't say "this is what you guys should do," as a matter of fact he explicitly said that it might not necessarily apply to their situation and that she needed to be really careful with how she used that information.

Also, if I remember right, Burnham basically presented it as "we need to just start attacking every Klingon ship we see until they back off and ask for terms call us for a chat." That's not diplomacy at all, that's just a de facto state of war. Can you see how people might be resistant to the suggestion that Klingons are just savage bumpheads who only understand violence? Because that's really what that boils down to.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Woah hold on, first, Sarek didn't say "this is what you guys should do," as a matter of fact he explicitly said that it might not necessarily apply to their situation and that she needed to be really careful with how she used that information.

Also, if I remember right, Burnham basically presented it as "we need to just start attacking every Klingon ship we see until they back off and ask for terms call us for a chat." That's not diplomacy at all, that's just a de facto state of war. Can you see how people might be resistant to the suggestion that Klingons are just savage bumpheads who only understand violence? Because that's really what that boils down to.

Yeah Burnham wasn't right. The problem is everyone on the Federation side including Burnham were severely uninformed of what was actually going on on the Klingon side, but there's not really a way they could have been informed, either. I'm wondering if this episode is going to be basically the dark point of the season and stuff after this will work to show her why she was wrong?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Ensign Daft Punk is apparently called Lieutenant Jira Narwani and there's information about her in some Star Trek book that came out today.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Levar Burton: The new spock!

Lmao, Geordi?

skasion posted:

The really great thing here is that someone apparently felt Geordi was the closest analog in the TNG crew to Spock :confused:

gently caress beaten

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Kibayasu posted:

I'm going to take this post at face value and respond seriously.

Look at scenes like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTuD6xf-ync or everyone's favorite chef https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTpPJm6fouE

The problem isn't that its terse and punctuated in Discovery, it's that it is incredibly slow and enunciated. The way they're talking is very much a deliberate choice but what it sounds like is how people talk when they're still learning a foreign language, where all the effort is being put into just choosing the right words. There's no emotion or nuance, no flow that comes with a lifetime of language use. Even without subtitles or even seeing the scene it should be possible to get some sort of read on how someone is addressing another but there was very little of that at all with the Klingons.

They're singing in these scenes. KLING-ON! DIC-TION! IS! SOME-WHAT! KIRK-LIKE!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Levar Burton: The new spock!

Lmao, Geordi?

gently caress beaten

It makes sense, Geordi gets laid about once every seven years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

Oh poo poo that was supposed to be a fuckin bat'leth?

I guess they hosed with everything else Klingon so I shouldn't be surprised they redesigned the coolest Klingon weapon ever.

the thing that literally looks like a batleth is a batleth, yes