Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Some days I'm embarrassed to be male almost as much as I'm embarrassed to belong to the same species as some of these jackholes.

I think the author sums up conspiracy theories like this accurately:
"Women just don’t care that much about you. You obsess over our movements, our strategies for keeping you down, when really, we can’t be bothered. Women won’t debate you because your ideas have been held below the threshold of reasonable for so long that the bubbles have stopped. We’re not here so we can make sure someone with a Y chromosome can’t be.

Women in automotive don’t get together and talk about ways to make sure we keep boys out of what is, statistically speaking, still their club. We’re here to work hard and talk about cars."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Save us from giving them a click and give us a summary?

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Surely it's as simple as "not worth reading"

in other news, just saw Dulcich has acquired a Sunbeam Alpine that he plans to put (most of) the drivetrain from Freiburgers RX-7 into on a later (when!!) episode of Hotrod Garage. That sounds like a fun build!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Save us from giving them a click and give us a summary?

It's in the title: "Tech Fuckboy Has Bad Opinion About Women In Autos".
Basically, angry white men in tech and auto industries opining that there is a conspiracy to infiltrate women into their ranks, and clearly, there's no way that women could possibly be qualified for technical jobs. Nothing new, just more visible, lately.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Isn't that the goal of most STEM programs, to increase diversity in technological fields? Can you call it a conspiracy when it's out in the open?

And yes, it's shameful that apparently way too many white males are afraid that they don't have enough to offer aside from whiteness and a Y chromosome. If you're actually worth a poo poo at what you do, why be afraid of the existence of a larger pool of skilled candidates?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Darchangel posted:

Some days I'm embarrassed to be male almost as much as I'm embarrassed to belong to the same species as some of these jackholes.

I think the author sums up conspiracy theories like this accurately:
"Women just don’t care that much about you. You obsess over our movements, our strategies for keeping you down, when really, we can’t be bothered. Women won’t debate you because your ideas have been held below the threshold of reasonable for so long that the bubbles have stopped. We’re not here so we can make sure someone with a Y chromosome can’t be.

Women in automotive don’t get together and talk about ways to make sure we keep boys out of what is, statistically speaking, still their club. We’re here to work hard and talk about cars."

For me that's every day. Men are scum. Admission of the problem is the first step to recovery.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

scuz posted:

For me that's every day. Men are scum. Admission of the problem is the first step to recovery.

Some men are scum. News at eleven. Going down the road of misandry is not helpful. Me, I'm a full blown misanthropist.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Meritocracy is my poo poo.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Adiabatic posted:

Speaketh the dick-tator on high :P (legit though you are a good mod please don't ban me)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Dagen H posted:

I thought "crippled" was a requirement for state jobs.

I work for the state and we prefer the term handi-capable / employmentally-challenged.

Speaking of work, I just went full retard and used the phrase "How now brown cow?" to an HR employee.
She's black ...and sorta fat.

How hosed am I?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Floored at how insecure a lot of dudes I personally know are, like on a vast scale that always surprises me when it hits me. I watched a guy pick up a pink stuffed animal for his daughter but held it between his thumb and forefinger like it was covered in piss and give it to her. Because it was too girly and the dude himself isn't some macho hunk dude either, and also drives a new Wrangler with the stick-on catalog bits and cruises around midwest Suburbia because of course. Getting older it is like I am discovering that most people are not at all comfortable in their own skin and it bums me out, I can't imagine carrying around baggage like that day to day regardless if it's learned behavior or not. :(

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I work for the state and we prefer the term handi-capable / employmentally-challenged.

Speaking of work, I just went full retard and used the phrase "How now brown cow?" to an HR employee.

How hosed am I?

lol
Probably fine if you don't draw attention to it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

So its the Automotive version of the Google Manifesto poo poo. gently caress these people.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

How hosed am I?

Context is important as you are somewhere between 'nothing' and 'put a blindfold on me'

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

KakerMix posted:

Floored at how insecure a lot of dudes I personally know are, like on a vast scale that always surprises me when it hits me. I watched a guy pick up a pink stuffed animal for his daughter but held it between his thumb and forefinger like it was covered in piss and give it to her. Because it was too girly and the dude himself isn't some macho hunk dude either, and also drives a new Wrangler with the stick-on catalog bits and cruises around midwest Suburbia because of course. Getting older it is like I am discovering that most people are not at all comfortable in their own skin and it bums me out, I can't imagine carrying around baggage like that day to day regardless if it's learned behavior or not. :(

Lol. I had my thumbnail painted with bass-boat-sized sparkles for days because my 8 year old daughter wanted me to. I guess I'm the antithesis of that dude. And I'm happy for it.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

KakerMix posted:

The Mrs. got us both matching hot pink umbrellas and our combined Super Soft Birthday Party had little girl party favors and tiaras and pink everywhere and tutus.

He's a pretty good wife.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

KakerMix posted:

You know you have a problem when your masculinity is threatened by the color pink.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I like pretty pink flowers and greasy mean sounding V8s. :spiderguy:

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Seminal Flu posted:

Lol. I had my thumbnail painted with bass-boat-sized sparkles for days because my 8 year old daughter wanted me to. I guess I'm the antithesis of that dude. And I'm happy for it.

I'm not and never will be a parent but you, sir, are doing fatherhood right.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Seminal Flu posted:

I let my nieces paint my fingers and toes sparkly pink years ago because, well - kids man. If they're happy and smiling, the rest of the world can gargle a football stadiums worth of donkey balls for all I care. I hate how people are so skewed in their world viewpoints by baseless sexist constructs.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

KakerMix posted:

I watched a guy [i]pick up a pink stuffed animal for his daughter but held it between his thumb and forefinger

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I let a girlfriend paint my toenails bright red during college once, because she wanted to and who's gonna see it? It was winter, I wear shoes, etc.

Then I signed up for a stage movement class where street shoes weren't allowed and socks were too slick on the hardwood studio floor...

I even forgot they were red during the first class when suddenly I started getting strange looks and chuckles. Of course, theater people being the relatively open minded bunch they are, all I had to say was "my girlfriend did it" and everyone let it go.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Adiabatic posted:

If only we could actually convince people that this is the true path to the Utopian dream.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Going from an i5 4570/gtx960 combo to an i5 7500/gtx1070 combo. Have had this system since 2013. I hope this carries me at least until 2021 or so.

Any good sources for win10 keys? Legit I mean. Amazon shows like $100 lol gently caress that.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
BrownThunder sells them on Sa Mart for $25

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Going from an i5 4570/gtx960 combo to an i5 7500/gtx1070 combo. Have had this system since 2013. I hope this carries me at least until 2021 or so.

Any good sources for win10 keys? Legit I mean. Amazon shows like $100 lol gently caress that.

You can get it free from Microsoft: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/microsoft-windows-10-free-upgrade-offer-assistive-features/

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

spog posted:

Context is important as you are somewhere between 'nothing' and 'put a blindfold on me'

There was a sassy throat clearing and a solid 60 seconds of silence. I broke the silence with "whelp there you go looks like your problem is all fixed! have a good weekend! *CLICK*"
"...gently caress. It's Tuesday. "

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

I'm rockin' my GTX 660 and Prey looks really weird because objects just... appear, which is kinda funny considering objects turning into aliens is kind of one of the things that happens in the game :buddy: I need an upgrade but I just looked at my student loans the expected payoff date is a month before my 41st birthday (I'm 32) and got really sad so back to the Rollins Coping Strategy (cheap booze).

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Even on a 960 and ssd prey objects just pop in. It's all good.

I just recently got bitten by the Overwatch bug, that's the main reason for my upgrade.

Well, that and my mobo doesn't shut down cleanly, ever since new. It spins down the HDDs, powers down everything, but doesn't click the PSU off. Any shutdown or restart I have to click the PSU switch.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Even on a 960 and ssd prey objects just pop in. It's all good.

I just recently got bitten by the Overwatch bug, that's the main reason for my upgrade.

Well, that and my mobo doesn't shut down cleanly, ever since new. It spins down the HDDs, powers down everything, but doesn't click the PSU off. Any shutdown or restart I have to click the PSU switch.

How old is the psu? I had an issue like that once. I didn't think about it until the PSU died on me

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm thinking it might be time for BIOS update on that mobo o yo's.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
"It's not for me!" He loudly said, snapping me out of my half awake daze in the checkout line. "What?" I said groggily in reply. "That eyeliner," he said. I had no loving clue what he meant. It took me a minute to spot it next to his 12 pack of beer. "Oh, that," I said, "I dont think it's a good color for you, anyway."

"HA HA MAN naw I ain't like that!" He said, boisterously. I shrugged, paid, and left while he was trying to assure people around him that it wasn't his.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ferremit posted:

State government here too. Im fond of the phrase of "I work WITH idiots, FOR idiots"

They put me in the cripple wagon at work till my shoulder is better. Behold! My new work chariot for the foreseeable future

If we keep putting people who are crippled into lawn mowers as a SOP, we're going to need more lawn mowers

Oh god, a Groundsmaster.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

There was a sassy throat clearing and a solid 60 seconds of silence. I broke the silence with "whelp there you go looks like your problem is all fixed! have a good weekend! *CLICK*"
"...gently caress. It's Tuesday. "

I mean: why were you saying that to her anyway?

If there was a discussion about elocution, then it's fine.
Otherwise, I am confused why you would utter such a phrase.

You do have one chance at covering yourself: spend the rest of the week including rhymes in every conversation with every worker and try to play it off as a conversational quirk.

(Probably best to avoid anything that start 'Baa, Baa...')

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Just pretend you're doing elocution exercises all week. "The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain" "The thirty-three thieves thought that they thrilled the throne throughout Thursday." etc.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

spog posted:

You do have one chance at covering yourself: spend the rest of the week including rhymes in every conversation with every worker and try to play it off as a conversational quirk.

I imagine it was in a "what have we here?" capacity, since he was apparently troubleshooting.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Dannywilson posted:

Just pretend you're doing elocution exercises all week. "The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain" "The thirty-three thieves thought that they thrilled the throne throughout Thursday." etc.

"Six silly sheikhs stole six scared sheep."

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
So glad that Audi didn't go the way Volvo did with headlight adjustment. My S60R dynamic lights were controlled by rear suspension ride-height (to the point I had to make custom bellcranks for the sensors when I lowered it), luckily the S4 has good old fashioned plastic hex screw adjusters on the dynamic lights.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

spog posted:

Helpdesk ticket. I fixed something for her and that was my weird rear end way of asking her to try it again.

Anywho... gently caress Comcast. I had internet installed exactly a week ago this morning and it hasn't worked yet except for like 10 minutes immediately after the guy installed it and left.
I've had someone out to my house 3 times now and a fourth appointment where nobody showed. What in the actual gently caress are they doing? How do you have 3 techs give me 3 different answers and leave without any sort of resolution or even give me a loving follow up. I've had to call customer service every goddamned day and start all over.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Holy poo poo, I've literally been on hold with my insurance company waiting for someone to pick up the phone for over 100 minutes now. I checked their twitter and they are getting crucified by people and awful wait times since the summer. I would like to hang up, but I've got the sunk cost fallacy with time as the currency pretty drat heavy right now :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Like a good neighbor

or

Good hands people

• Locked thread