Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
what happens if you play an NRS game on wifi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Countblanc posted:

John Tobias shows up to your house and crashes on your couch for a week.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Countblanc posted:

The game displays if your opponent is playing connected or wifi so you can righteously and justly shame your foe for using wifi to play fighting games.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A 28.8k Baud connection really should be enough for anyone.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Evil Canadian posted:

The game displays if your opponent is playing connected or wifi so you can righteously and justly shame your foe for using wifi to play fighting games.

Is that for real? That rules

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
At least Arcsys's delay netcode is pretty decent now, I had better experiences with it than with Capcom's rollback, monkey paw wish, etc, etc. It sucks that everyone isn't just using fuckin' GGPO like they should've been for the last goddamn TEN YEARS.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I just wish we could go into a "I play fighting games" mode and not match up with auto combo scrubs at launch.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Agoat posted:

I just wish we could go into a "I play fighting games" mode and not match up with auto combo scrubs at launch.

You can go on Discord anytime you like.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Is doing combos in this game intuitive at all or is it like most fighting games where it feels obnoxious and rigid and you just always do the same one or two memorized ones because anything else is suboptimal?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Clever Spambot posted:

Is doing combos in this game intuitive at all or is it like most fighting games where it feels obnoxious and rigid and you just always do the same one or two memorized ones because anything else is suboptimal?

There's always gonna be optimal combos, and for a combo system to be intuitive it basically has to be rigid, so idgi? You're gonna need to be more specific on what you're hoping the combo system is. It's not gonna be as flexible as Marvel, probably, but there's plenty of different routes you can take AND there's an easy mode combo starting from autocombo which basically goes autocombo - smash - homing dash - air combo - super.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
By rigid i mean just needing to look up what the optimal combo for your character rather than just being able to freeform keep hitting people in a way that logically follows. Rote memorization is the least fun part of fighting games imo and the auto combo sounds like it bandages that a bit but its meaningless if the autocombo is way worse than a normal combo.

edit: being able to figure out combos on the fly via just being like "they are above me after this hit so i should use this, which sends them over there so i can dash and do this" with relative quickness without spending a bunch of time in practice mode would be cool

Clever Spambot fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 24, 2017

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Clever Spambot posted:

By rigid i mean just needing to look up what the optimal combo for your character rather than just being able to freeform keep hitting people in a way that logically follows. Rote memorization is the least fun part of fighting games imo and the auto combo sounds like it bandages that a bit but its meaningless if the autocombo is way worse than a normal combo.

Combos usually follow a logical flow of light > medium > heavy > special > super in virtually every game.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

You'll learn quickly in anime games (and honestly, most fighters) that while there are optimal combos you should do you'll not always get them in ideal circumstances, which is where a degree of free form becomes nice. Auto combos are designed to be a tool to allow folks to at least play the game without really getting into it, while the highest level of play and tighter confirms are reserved for folks that put in the work. There's nothing wrong with using auto combos as such.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Ok cool thanks, i play fighting games occasionally but they have never really clicked despite me liking the fundamental concept of mind games with anime boys.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Clever Spambot posted:

edit: being able to figure out combos on the fly via just being like "they are above me after this hit so i should use this, which sends them over there so i can dash and do this" with relative quickness without spending a bunch of time in practice mode would be cool

DBFZ gives you a lot of tools that simplifies that process, like a free wallbounce, tag in and homing dash, but optimized poo poo is always gonna be a bit unintuitive because it involves exploiting weird stuff about how the game does hitstun decay. So I guess the answer is, yeah, you can kinda improvise using universal tools but eventually people will figure out what is "optimal" too. But optimal varies a lot because it depends on where you are, what assists you have, how much meter you can spend and even what your other characters are.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its kinda lame that tien gets chiaotzu but yamcha has to be alone.

At least they used the right hair on him tho.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, Dr. Gero should come along and lend him a hand.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

:golfclap:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gotdam

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Its kinda lame that tien gets chiaotzu but yamcha has to be alone.

At least they used the right hair on him tho.

yamcha has to be alone so we can get puar as a playable character, duh

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

there's a hole in this theory

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Where doing this Vegetable

Where making monkey time hapen

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Clever Spambot posted:

To clarify what Dias is saying, it sounds like you're bringing up 2 different things. 1. Are combos varied/intuitive? and 2. Are there optimal combos?

Combos being varied/intuitive is what depends on game to game, but generally fighting games released in the past several years or so have all been making execution barriers easier in one way or another. Usually they try to add in new mechanics too that allows for some freedom to play around or make unique choices in what/where you want to do with a combo. So the answer to that is, most likely yeah there's okay variety/intuitiveness in the systems.

Optimal combos, on the other hand, will probably always exist. That's just going to be due to the nature of how fighting games are + the nature of competition. You'd have to try really hard to make a system where combos all are functionally the same, and doing that has a very high chance of making the combos actually feel boring/pointless.

Like Dj Meow Mix said, generally the higher up in play level you get, the more specific and different combos you need to master to account for different situations. Not every hit confirm will go into your normal BNB, so you need to be prepared for those oddball situations.

It sounds like you're just stressed about being told to learn a specific combo. If you're not competitive, then don't let it bother you and just explore on your own and use Auto combo/find a sequence for yourself. If you're competitive...then yeah you probably should do things that will help you win more.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Dreaming about Goku

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Dreaming about Goku

Same but just :goku:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Dreaming about Goku

dreaming of android sheep

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2VWbCxioGQ

androids are good

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

17 deserves to be his own character and not just an assist.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Chaotic Flame posted:

17 deserves to be his own character and not just an assist.

Or at least switch between the Androids

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
fer realz, this game also needs Pikkon in it.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

radtiz is in this game, yes?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

a.lo posted:

radtiz is in this game, yes?

we dont know!!!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Raditz is not getting in before Pilaf Gang, I know that much.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
you mean simultaneously with the pilaf gang, as they will both be in at launch

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Okay, but Raditz needs a super where he goes SSJ3 and crushes the other team with his hair.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Countblanc posted:

you mean simultaneously with the pilaf gang, as they will both be in at launch

Dude she's not going to be in the game, Toriyama forgot about her, give up.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Fan Favorite Raditz, right up there with Ginyu Force Guy #3.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

For real though I'm going to be upset if Cap'n Ginyu isn't in at launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/HellPockets/status/912419751481061377

Because the cropping on the embedded tweet sucks:

Doggles fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 27, 2017