Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Amazon's highly regarded but poorly marketed "comedy" (really a 30 minute drama) is back, just in time for Rosh Hashanah! I've already watched four episodes and it's good. Here's what the Pfeffermans are up to as of episode 1:

Maura (Jeffrey Tambor): Accepted a guest lecturer position at a university in Tel Aviv (yes, this show is getting even more Jewish than it already was). Also dating a cis man named Donald.

Shelly (Judith Light): After her breakup with Buzzy, she has gotten Josh to take her into his home.

Sarah (Amy Landecker): Living with and loving her ex-husband Len (Rob Huebel). Going to Sex and Love Addicts meetings.

Josh (Jay Duplass): Hosting his mother against his best interests. Finally coming to terms with being taken advantage of by his babysitter. Still whiny.

Ali (Gabby Hoffmann): Trying to move on from her relationship with the somewhat predatory Leslie. Joins Maura in Tel Aviv.

Shana tova!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh hey I missed that there was a thread!

Halfway through and it's a good season so far but messy. Davina has her own storyline now for some reason? like it's cool to see but it also like takes attention away from the Pfeffermans when their arcs aren't too strong anyways. Loving the Israel stuff and Jerry Adler, while Shelly's improv training + Mario character are hilarious.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Bumping because I'm about to watch the last two episodes

I also don't really get why Davina has her own storyline completely separated from the Pfeffermans

The whole Airbnb plot feels like it's from a different show

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 27, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Henchman of Santa posted:

The whole Airbnb plot feels like it's from a different show

It's a Palestine / Israel thing, isn't it?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Oh god I didn't even think of that but it's an awful parallel if it is.

My overall impression of this season is that it was pretty good but made some questionable decisions. It'll probably never be as good as the first two seasons but it still wrings a lot of pathos out in just a few hours. Jill Soloway is leaving their showrunner role to focus on I Love Dick and I wonder if that will ultimately lead to a nice change of pace.

Here's a piece from The Ringer about how long Transparent/other prestige shows should go on:
https://www.theringer.com/tv/2017/9/26/16369238/transparent-season-four-prestige-tv

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Henchman of Santa posted:

Jill Soloway is leaving their showrunner role to focus on I Love Dick and I wonder if that will ultimately lead to a nice change of pace.

Apparently she's still going to be writing and directing for Transparent, she's just not going to be organising budgets and negotiating with the Network as much. She's not stepping aside, she's just delegating.

• Locked thread