Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Can't wait for Willie to get stabbed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

willie_dee posted:

Anyone got any advice for bouncing on the doors of a nightclub?
Watch the greatest movie ever made: Roadhouse.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

JaySB posted:

Can't wait for Willie to get stabbed

Cool

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

quote:

You're a guy that's completely in love with the idea of looking for fights in the wild against bike thieves.
Peter Parker let a bike thief run free once, makes u thikn

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

generatrix posted:

I can't remember if it was here or on the BJJ Reddit, but a while back there was discussion of pulling off pro-wrestling moves in real sparring. My previous best contribution to that was grabbing both ankles on the way up from a backflip escape from high mount, to get the reverse mount double Achilles lock, a.k.a. The Boston Crab.

So this morning I'm rolling with someone and we end up in a wonky leg entanglement. Both of his feet were outside my hip, but mine were basically in a bad guard around his hips. I couldn't get anything on his ankles from the angle I was at, but I could trap them and I had good control of our position. So, I rolled us over, stood up, sat back, and locked his ankles against each other...

I have now tapped someone with The Sharpshooter.

Anyone else hit any ridiculous "fake" moves lately?

Pretty much every pro-wrestling move you can think off will have a way of "shooting" it, The Sharpshooter similar to the boston Crab/Walls of Jericho can be made painful as gently caress just by leaning back and causing immense pressure on the lower back (see the difference between Bret Hart's shooter and the Rock's), the sharpshooter can also be made worse by pushing a hand underneath the persons lower leg and pulling up with your free hand whilst leaning back this pulls the blade of your forearm against the person's calf and it SUCCCCCKKKKSSSSSSSSSS.

Yeah I'm making my pro-wrestling debut next month under the name Jeff Leopard I'm pretty excited

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The Fujiwara Armbar is awesome and actually kinda reliable if you have good Russian tie pressure.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The Fujiwara Armbar is awesome and actually kinda reliable if you have good Russian tie pressure.

I didn't know this was a thing! I do a variation that has a pretty nice success rate from bottom turtle, if you execute a sit through escape and they leave their arm asleep near your hip/ribs, instead of finishing by turning into your opponent and taking their back you turn towards their arm/head and snatch the arm up to finish. The only big issue is if they aren't asleep when you turn towards their arm they can shrug their arm out of the way quick enough and you end back to guard or to a scramble.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Looking for a fight is not someone who should be bouncing. Take an amateur fight or something dude. It's cool to make friends, not kick peoples asses.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
Sakuraba's 'secret move' is my goto prowrassle move.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Yuns posted:

Wesleeeeeyyyyyy!

mewse
May 2, 2006

Yuns posted:

Willie was asking for practical advice on bouncing, not a recommendation for a documentary about the lives of bouncers

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Roadhouse is cool

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
This has probably been posted but holy poo poo this is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBQvbvP9Srg

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

It makes me feel sad when people lie about stuff like that. I guess they want to feel important or special. It's like that guy your buddy brings to the fights who mentions how he does tang su do and legally can't fight anyone because he's a registered human weapon and the room full of wrestlers, boxers, bjj and mma guys are being quiet going "yeah you're a bad dude" eyes darting back and forth

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I am Otis posted:

It makes me feel sad when people lie about stuff like that. I guess they want to feel important or special. It's like that guy your buddy brings to the fights who mentions how he does tang su do and legally can't fight anyone because he's a registered human weapon and the room full of wrestlers, boxers, bjj and mma guys are being quiet going "yeah you're a bad dude" eyes darting back and forth

Bars showing MMA PPVs are the best places to go to spot these people in the wild.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

I only watch fights at my place or at friends anymore. Bars are fun for watching the game, to me

Not all those tough guys are bad or anything. Sometimes you can even get them to come to your gym to check it out

mewse
May 2, 2006

Anyone else had the facebook post from a friend that is like "my partner and I want to start a martial art, suggestions please!!" and you and a bunch of knowledgeable people say boxing or kickboxing for striking, BJJ for grappling and then the person does a followup post saying "we're looking at aikido or krav maga! thanks everybody!!"

:negative:

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

mewse posted:

Anyone else had the facebook post from a friend that is like "my partner and I want to start a martial art, suggestions please!!" and you and a bunch of knowledgeable people say boxing or kickboxing for striking, BJJ for grappling and then the person does a followup post saying "we're looking at aikido or krav maga! thanks everybody!!"

I normally send them videos of Aikido kids getting beaten up, but Krav Maga isn't a bad choice is it?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Krav maga is bad because the chances you'll get some dork roleplaying military instead of good instruction in the art of punch hugging are really good.

mewse
May 2, 2006

willie_dee posted:

I normally send them videos of Aikido kids getting beaten up, but Krav Maga isn't a bad choice is it?

It's a fad thing in the United States that has no governing body so it's like strip mall karate with a bunch of "too deadly to use in training" stuff

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

fatherdog posted:

The main problem with Krav Maga is that you can become certified to teach "Krav Maga" by taking a three day seminar, so even if Krav Maga was the second coming of Judo developed by Muhammed Bruce Li I still would never recommend to someone that they join a "Krav Maga" school because you have absolutely no idea what you'll actually be getting.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Some guy at work was talking about martial arts and mentioned to me that Systema and Krav Maga are the most deadly. he wasn't interested in a different viewpoint nor did he know anything about Sambo.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
The most deadly martial art is bombing people with a drone strike

mewse
May 2, 2006

Novum posted:

:boom:

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

mewse posted:

Well, it depends on why they're picking up a martial art. If for self-defense or amateur fighting, then Aikido sucks. If for exercise or any number of reasons, Aikido's fine. It's good exercise, the techniques are interesting and fun and a lot of the methodology is great for finding focus and reducing stress. It can also be both pretty and impressive when properly performed which does attract people. It's all a matter of realistic expectations.

Heck, I did Karate as a kid and into my teens and then picked up Hapkido in college and kept it up for years. Had a great time and learned a ton. Sparring is awesome when you add throws and locks in with the striking. Never really thought any of it was directly applicable in a real-life throw-down. I looked into actual self-defense classes when I felt the need to pick up better and more realistic techniques.

Novum posted:

On the other hand, this here is the objective truth.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Novum posted:

the equipment prices sucks tho

mewse
May 2, 2006

Thanks Obama

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Novum posted:

The most deadly martial art is bombing civilian hospitals with a drone strike

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
Something we did in class yesterday, I've tried to google, but I don't know what it's called. I'm sure people here know what it is.

I think it's just a warmup exercise. You do it with an opponent and are essentially mirroring each other's behavior.

So you are chest to chest, and you're forcing/slipping your hand under your opponent's arm on one side, while he's doing the same thing to you on the other side. And you keep going back and forth.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Juanito posted:

Something we did in class yesterday, I've tried to google, but I don't know what it's called. I'm sure people here know what it is.

I think it's just a warmup exercise. You do it with an opponent and are essentially mirroring each other's behavior.

So you are chest to chest, and you're forcing/slipping your hand under your opponent's arm on one side, while he's doing the same thing to you on the other side. And you keep going back and forth.

Pretty sure that's called pummeling

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Pummeling? Efb.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
Awesome, that's exactly it. Now gonna learn more about it. I had different opponents doing different things, and wasn't always sure how I was supposed to do it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Honestly surprised a boxing gym gets into the clinch range that early. Doesn't hurt, though.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

kimbo305 posted:

Honestly surprised a boxing gym gets into the clinch range that early. Doesn't hurt, though.
It's more of an MMA gym that also offers Sanda, and the teacher mixes things up pretty often, which keeps things interesting. We were doing guillotine chokes yesterday. I prefer to be on my feet, but I've enjoyed learning a variety of things.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
We've done that in wrestling and bjj class too

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
saturdays is self defense day at my bjj place and we almost always do pummeling (underhook and necktie) as a warm up

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

We do a pummeling warm up at almost every BJJ class.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Pummeling is how we warm up for sex

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Juanito posted:

It's more of an MMA gym that also offers Sanda, and the teacher mixes things up pretty often, which keeps things interesting. We were doing guillotine chokes yesterday. I prefer to be on my feet, but I've enjoyed learning a variety of things.

Oh right, got posters mixed up.
Yeah, clinchwork for MMA is expected. Sanda range is a bit further out, so you could have a style that needs no clinching, but certainly is good to build grapple sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Novum posted:

Pummeling is how we warm up for sex

Arms in, elbows up, that's the way we like to gently caress