Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Chief McHeath posted:

Apparently the placement on leave is because the athletics association has to vote on it. I guess there just wasn't enough time between yesterday and this morning to hold a conference call or something!

It's that their contracts state that a certain amount of time has to pass before they can be fully terminated with cause. Otherwise their full buyouts have to be paid.

They're all but gone but UL has a couple of legal hurdles to jump before they're fully cast away.

Also watch them hire Dave Bliss somehow to coach this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Chief McHeath posted:

Apparently the placement on leave is because the athletics association has to vote on it. I guess there just wasn't enough time between yesterday and this morning to hold a conference call or something!

From what I understand Pitino's contract requires he get 10 days notice before the board can vote on his firing

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

lmao

That whole AD is sleeze

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Employees of Nike EYBL have been subpoenaed.

The FBI is burning it to the ground

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

http://www.nikeeyb.com/teams/

I have heard of some of these teams, California Supreme for sure. I'm not into the recruiting thing deep enough to know who is in cahoots with these teams though.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/913063861082828801

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

lol no poo poo Woj

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ch3cooh posted:

Employees of Nike EYBL have been subpoenaed.

The FBI is burning it to the ground

If this fucks programs and not the NCAA then this is garbage.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The NCAA looks particularly impotent and incompetent in this whole thing. The FBI is running things like the NCAA always should have.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
To be fair, the NCAA never had the power of subpoena or jail time at their disposal so they really couldn't have run things like the FBI is doing

Doesn't mean they weren't complicit in a lot of bullshit but their leverage was limited compared to the government

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

kiimo posted:

The NCAA looks particularly impotent and incompetent in this whole thing. The FBI is running things like the NCAA always should have.

Well, the NCAA should PAY THEIR loving ATHLETES, to be fair.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/erikmal/status/913122030106566656

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I wonder how much would change if the NCAA funneled all the money back into the colleges in equal share to pay players?

I've been listening to bernie too much.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
lmao talk in town is already that U of L is gonna get the death penalty for being on probation and then literally getting caught on video accepting bribes

this means absolutely nothing because it's just city peeps and/or fans talking but still, I may actually see the Death Penalty applied to a program in my lifetime :killing:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

SamuraiFoochs posted:

If this fucks programs and not the NCAA then this is garbage.

The NCAA is programs

Chokes McGee posted:

lmao talk in town is already that U of L is gonna get the death penalty for being on probation and then literally getting caught on video accepting bribes

this means absolutely nothing because it's just city peeps and/or fans talking but still, I may actually see the Death Penalty applied to a program in my lifetime :killing:

I guess this is the ultimate test case of whether we'll ever see it again, but I can't imagine it happening

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/DickieV/status/913116049188560897

"All y'all's mans are snitching, be careful out there" - Dicky V

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
The rumor has always been that if Penn State hadn't accepted the extremely harsh penalties the NCAA laid on them they would have gotten it; if Louisville doesn't get it for this you can assume that you simply can't get it for paying players anymore

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

General Dog posted:

I guess this is the ultimate test case of whether we'll ever see it again, but I can't imagine it happening

me either but (IIRC?) this is getting eerily similar to SMU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

kiimo posted:

I wonder how much would change if the NCAA funneled all the money back into the colleges in equal share to pay players?

I've been listening to bernie too much.

Football: FBS has a scholarship limit of 85 players. If you payed them all $1000 a month for a year, that's $1.02 million.

Alabama's coaching staff is due to make $18 million this year.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

fast cars loose anus posted:

The rumor has always been that if Penn State hadn't accepted the extremely harsh penalties the NCAA laid on them they would have gotten it; if Louisville doesn't get it for this you can assume that you simply can't get it for paying players anymore

Which the NCAA completely walked back a few years later, so....

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Find it hard to believe D'Antoni would pass up someone with a shot that quick

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

General Dog posted:

The NCAA is programs

If Penn State football didn't get it, nobody ever will again.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

sportsgenius86 posted:

Find it hard to believe D'Antoni would pass up someone with a shot that quick

:drat:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Louisville should get the death penalty but they won't. The two reasons is that the NCAA will never give a major program the death penalty again after seeing what it did to SMU and that Louisville has a new president who can work with the NCAA. If Ramsey was still in charge then you'd see the NCAA do everything but the fatal blow, but this new guy can drop enough self-harm to please the ACc/NCAA. It may mean a multiple-year postseason ban, forfeiture of any and all conference dollars and/or scholarships, potentially no non-con home games. There won't be any lost seasons or a complete loss of home games as not to punish the Louisville community, but you can limit them to 9 conference home games.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
pitino long con COINTELPRO to bring down louisville from the inside working right on schedule

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Your Taint posted:

If Penn State football didn't get it, nobody ever will again.

I don't want to re-litigate the arguments that were hammered into the ground 5 years ago, but I think there was at least an element of ambiguity about how much the Penn State case fell into the purview of the NCAA, whereas good old straight up paying players (and hiring hookers for players) with extensive documentation is very much in the NCAA's sweet spot.

I agree we're not likely to see the death penalty again, not for sports and teams anybody cares about, but Louisville (and maybe Baylor) are stronger candidates than Penn State ever was.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 27, 2017

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Also there was a nugget that I somehow didn't know in the Pitino that in his adultery/mistress extortion case- Pitino sent a university-employed aid to get the woman an abortion, and the aid and the woman ended up falling in love and getting married after the abortion. Why isn't there a Lifetime movie about this already?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

General Dog posted:

Also there was a nugget that I somehow didn't know in the Pitino that in his adultery/mistress extortion case- Pitino sent a university-employed aid to get the woman an abortion, and the aid and the woman ended up falling in love and getting married after the abortion. Why isn't there a Lifetime movie about this already?

True love :allears:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/theScore/status/913144104917364736

Well this was to be expected

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Well we know Rick's always down for a quick and unsatisfying probe

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

:stare: yikes. Louisville's gonna be a loving dumpster fire unless they make some smart hires.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

General Dog posted:

I was about to start listing basketball movies with puns about abortions but I got as far as Scoop Dreams before I questioned what I’m doing with my life right now

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/jasonrileywdrb/status/913149165257052160

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
"I'm not corrupt, i'm incompetent!"

I wonder if they'll have to return the bribes

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

what's that, institute a messy and explosive legal fight that'll really embarrass everyone involved? sign me the gently caress up

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

kiimo posted:

I was about to start listing basketball movies with puns about abortions but I got as far as Scoop Dreams before I questioned what I’m doing with my life right now

I mean "Impermissible Benefits" is right there.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Louisville has to be careful because it kind of sounds like Pitino is gearing up to pull a Jim O'Brien here. That dude sued Ohio State for like $3m for wrongful termination after he paid a prospective Serbian player, because OSU fired him without an NCAA investigation.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
https://twitter.com/blk_tray/status/913162201489326080

Hahahaha

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

kiimo posted:

One Trimester and Done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Doesn't he realize that *not* knowing is pretty much just as bad? How can you be that loving clueless?

(he totally knew)

• Locked thread